RM-Z250 JM Racing build *up to Cams & Chassis talk*

Keating
Edited Date/Time 6/18/2022 9:16am
I've had my 2019 RM-Z250 for about 6 weeks now and really like it! Power is Awesome! Plenty of low end to pull me out of the corners with a strong mid-range and I'm pretty happy with the way it revs out....!! Not quite enough power (anywhere) to keep pace with the 450s which is most of my competition in the vet classes.... Hence, The Build!!

Got 2 TX Winter series races (with my Sweet electrical tape #7, til MXGurl makes up some trick graphics) in to break things in and get a feel for the bike and where I need to go with our mods!

JM did some suspension valving and re-springing to make it race worthy for my weight and nailed it!! Suspension is working awesome, a little fine tuning and it'll be Perfect! Bike was pretty stiff from the factory!! Magazines were right about the stiffness, but missed the mark on the rest of the bike! Handles great and the power is super usable! I've always thought that the goal was to get around the track as fast as possible for several laps...??? The Suzuki does that Great!!

Now let's make it better....

Time for a baseline.....

|
1/30/2020 6:47am
Nice man I wanna pick one up next season. Intrested to hear how you make out
Keating
1/30/2020 11:43am
Pgd09yz450 wrote:
Nice man I wanna pick one up next season. Intrested to hear how you make out
Thanks!! I'll be posting the entire build..... Stay tuned!

The Shop

Keating
2/5/2020 2:56pm Edited Date/Time 2/5/2020 5:18pm
Well the dyno is having some issues, so Let's Talk Suspension!!

I'm at 175 to 180 lbs in my street clothes. Vet A rider. Pretty fast (got a moto podium at LL17 on my '03 YZ125; 2 moto podiums at LL18 on my '17 250SX 50+) Started racing in '75 and have been testing bikes since '84.

JM Racing did some suspension valving and re-springing to make it race worthy for my weight and nailed it!! Suspension is working awesome, a little fine tuning and it'll be even better. We're wanting to try some different Triple Clamps and a suspension link.... Stay tuned.... Bike was pretty stiff from the factory, here's were we're at so far.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forks: We went from the stock .51 to .46. Tried .48s but the front end wouldn't settle in the corners for me, .46s hold it up and allow the bike stay in the corner.

Shock: We went form the stock 5.3 to a 4.7. Everything heavier wouldn't allow for the enough Free Sag..... I'm at 104mm Race sag and 37mm Free sag right now.

Bike has a nice balance now and JM lightened up the valving on the front quite a bit and a little on the rear.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Magazines were right about the stiffness, but missed the mark on the rest of the bike! Handles great and the power is super usable! I've always thought that the goal was to get around the track as fast as possible for several laps...??? The Suzuki does that Great!!
Zycki11
2/19/2020 8:31pm
Awesome thread. Always a fan of Suzuki even if I bleed blue
Keating
2/19/2020 8:44pm Edited Date/Time 2/19/2020 8:50pm

Got my Yoshi this week!! Super excited to see how it helps...!! I went with the Stainless steel/Aluminum silencer. I was wanting a more durable head pipe since I've had Ti head pipes get pretty dented up from roost.... The Al silencer is your only choice w/ the SS header..... The performance is supposed to be identical to the Ti pipe, the main benefit of Ti is the 2lb weight savings! The SS/Al weight is identical to the stock RMZ pipe! Little bummed about that! They both weighed in at 8.5lbs on a shipping scale, so they're Exactly the same weight. The trick look factor is however... off the charts....!!!! Fit was great, and got everytning I needed including a spring tool, washing plug, and some stickers!! You're gonna have to wait a few days for a performance evaluation. The JM dyno is still acting up and the weather is pretty nasty right now so I don't have any more info yet.

When we get going, I'll be comparing pump to U4.4 to MR Pro6 with this pipe and then I hope to try a GET ignition before JM does his Engine Magic!!! I want to ramp this build up with info for you guys on what changes you can do on your Suzi and what will work for different $ $$ $$$....

Stay tuned!! More coming soon!!

Big E
2/20/2020 9:47am
Can't wait to see this build. YOSHI Kissing
Keating
3/4/2020 3:31pm

New Pipe Report,

Finally had some nice weather and my schedule matched up and bingo....We were riding!!! The Yoshi RD-12 pipe works every bit as good as it looks...!!! Maybe even better!!

Headed out on Sunday and got in 3 good practice motos. I was really enjoying the RS12 on my RM-Z. It kept all the bottom and mid range, maybe even added to it, and helped it rev out tremendously!! The more I twisted the throttle, the more it kept pulling. It no longer needed to be short shifted, unless you want to short shift, it just kept making power til you decide you want another gear...!! The track was pretty sandy so I had a hard time telling exactly how much bottom and mid it was putting out. I would say it didn't loose any and probably gained a little bit!

The dyno is up and running, so I'll be able to see how the dyno runs compare to my "seat of the pants" testing...
Stay tuned and I'll get you guys some more info!!

Keating
3/18/2020 8:26pm

Finally got some decent Dyno runs in. So, this Dyno definitely has some very conservative numbers, but it's all relative and it's about showing gains and where they are at in the power band!

Unfortunately, my seat of the pants testing and the Dyno info clash a little. As I stated the other day, the Yoshi pipe really pulls harder and noticeably more into the top end and doesn't sign off as early.... These graphs agree with that, but don't show the full effect of what I was feeling with testing...

The graph is from my personal Dyno runs at JM Racing with the Gray (Rich) coupler. I was running the Dyno myself and am very new to it, so there's probably improvements to be made in my runs.... The numbers would probably look better if I was an experienced Dyno guy.... That said, I feel the track testing I did had more HP gains and especially in the top end power. My Dyno runs show a higher HP (a little more than half a horse) in the top end, but not to the extent that I was really feeling out on the track...!! I would say the RM-Z signs off a little early with the stock pipe, but not to the extent the mags are saying. it actually runs out pretty good! The Dyno shows some extra HP on top with the Yoshi, but on the track I really feel the gains of the Yoshi Pipe!! It doesn't just keep going to the rev limiter, it keeps pulling like a tractor all the way to the rev limiter!

As to the couplers, I've been running the rich one, but feel the bike is a little too rich in places and think the bike might do better with a leaner coupler... More to follow on that as I plan on doing more testing with different couplers and put the test to the Dyno info and see where more improvements can be made!!

To sum up.....The Yoshi pipe doesn't look great on paper, but Feels great on the track!! I trust what I feel on the bike more than the Dyno. I think the dyno is a great tool, but when you put your bike under different loads and situations in different gears, it's not the same...!!! Would I buy the Yoshi knowing all this? Yes I would! It not only makes a little more power, it really helps put everything the little RMZ has to the ground and moves you down the track faster!!

Stay tuned for more info!!
Keating
3/19/2020 11:48am

Placed an order for a plethora of Ride Engineering parts to up the performance and add a Factory look to the RMZ...!!! Figured I'd need some things to work on when this COVID-19 kicks off the track...😷😷👀

Hope I get a chance to ride with my new Clamps and try out the Performance link and test them out....!!!! I had the Performance link on my last bike (17 250SX) and it really improved the handling of the bike and how it tracked through the ruts! Hopefully, I'll have a report soon!

Keating
4/20/2020 8:25am
Got my Rekluse clutch installed and tested!!

So, for starters, I had no problems with the stock clutch slipping or fading as it got hot.....!! I usually have a finger on the clutch 85-90% of the time and use my clutch in just about every corner on the track. My practice motos are usually around 18 to 25 minutes of hard riding and the OEM clutch never gave me any problems! If you're looking for something better, Rekluse is the way to go!!

Now the Rekluse!

I've never owned an Auto Clutch before. I rode a buddy's back in '16 and thought it was pretty neat. I've ran Hinson full kits before and didn't see much difference and even had a basket wear out faster than OEMs, so I wasn't wanting to go that route with the RM-Z. Did some research on the Rekluse and liked what I saw!! They have extra plate clutch set ups, which hook up better for better drive and don't require heavy duty springs that wear out my finger when I'm charging! Manual and Auto choices (3 of each)!! Multiple championships with both kinds of clutches!! So, I figured "go big or go home" and I went with the Radius CX, their top of the line Auto clutch! I was a little leary about using it for MX until I saw the video on their website about the Star Racing Team using the Auto clutches in SX and MX!!

Well it comes with everything you need and an instruction booklet that is about 30 pages long!! That might be a little concerning, but don't worry. They are very detailed and precise! I was able to do all of the installation through the small clutch cover and didn't need to remove the complete cover (which requires draining the coolant). Soak your plates in oil, set your height (very important), it was quite easy...! You must get your Free Play Gain set properly! This is not your normal free play! This took me a couple of times to get right... Your clutch will NOT work like you want it to til this is right!!

Riding it!

It worked Awesome!! The clutch still works like a normal clutch and you can ride your bike like an auto clutch....your choice! The main reason I wanted to try this clutch was to take away "Stalling" in a corner!! For me that's the only disadvantage to no electric start....if you stall your bike with an electric start you're quickly back going easily. Now I've taken stalling out of the equation and have all the benefits of the Rekluse.....!!

I didn't have quite enough "free play gain" in the clutch so it did a couple weird things in my first moto. Then I lost my "free play gain" in the next moto and needed to adjust it again. Takes about 5 mins. I've put several motos on it now and it's working great! I'm gonna keep check it regularly, kinda like my free play and adjust when ever needed! It seems to be working consistent now and I'm loving the auto system!! I'm running Maxima "Premium" mineral based 10w40 right now to break everything in and am going to try the synthetic "Pro Plus+" on my next test session! I'll keep you guys posted!

Next write up will be about my Ride Engineering products......

Keating
6/3/2020 9:28am Edited Date/Time 6/3/2020 3:57pm
Yoshi RS-12 works Amazing!!!

Finally got to do some actual racing this past weekend and compare my RM-Z250 to the competition.... And by competition, I mean the plethora of 450s in the Vet classes.....!! Well, the 1st moto was a tell tale! HOLESHOT!!!! So, the dyno and the "seat of your pants" testing is fine, which I've done. The dyno results were okay and showed more power but race time tells all!
This RS-12 is incredible! The bike came out of the gate with authority in 2nd gear and pulled like a tractor half way to to the first turn! While the 450s were wasting time catching gears, I was still pulling. My other 3 motos were almost as good with a 2nd, 3rd, & 5th place start on 12-15 rider gates! I liked the Yoshimura RS-12 before, now I love it!!!! Stock engine, Rekluse clutch, I haven't even had the head off yet, just bolted on the RS-12!!
The Moto Log
6/6/2020 6:32pm
Keating wrote:
[b][i]Yoshi RS-12 works Amazing!!![/i] [/b]Finally got to do some actual racing this past weekend and compare my RM-Z250 to the competition.... And by competition, I mean...

Finally got to do some actual racing this past weekend and compare my RM-Z250 to the competition.... And by competition, I mean the plethora of 450s in the Vet classes.....!! Well, the 1st moto was a tell tale! HOLESHOT!!!! So, the dyno and the "seat of your pants" testing is fine, which I've done. The dyno results were okay and showed more power but race time tells all!
This RS-12 is incredible! The bike came out of the gate with authority in 2nd gear and pulled like a tractor half way to to the first turn! While the 450s were wasting time catching gears, I was still pulling. My other 3 motos were almost as good with a 2nd, 3rd, & 5th place start on 12-15 rider gates! I liked the Yoshimura RS-12 before, now I love it!!!! Stock engine, Rekluse clutch, I haven't even had the head off yet, just bolted on the RS-12!!
I've always been fond of the RM-Zs. With the Rekluse, are you leaving off the clutch at the gate or just whacking the throttle when it drops?
Keating
6/11/2020 10:51am Edited Date/Time 6/11/2020 11:01am
Keating wrote:
[b][i]Yoshi RS-12 works Amazing!!![/i] [/b]Finally got to do some actual racing this past weekend and compare my RM-Z250 to the competition.... And by competition, I mean...

I've always been fond of the RM-Zs. With the Rekluse, are you leaving off the clutch at the gate or just whacking the throttle when it...
I've always been fond of the RM-Zs. With the Rekluse, are you leaving off the clutch at the gate or just whacking the throttle when it drops?
Hey man, I am starting exactly like I would with a normal, manual clutch..... The Rekluse works excellent as a regular clutch! In fact, I completely forget about the clutch most of the time.... Which can catch you off guard if you're not in neutral and you blip the throttle..... Hahaha
I am posting a clutch follow up, check it below.
Keating
6/11/2020 11:00am
Rekluse clutch follow up....

So the race went well, I love the pipe and wanted to talk a little more about the clutch! It seems like every time a project build happens, you never get any more info on how things are working down the line..... The clutch is also working fantastic!! I've gotten completely used to it and couldn't be happier! Once I got the free play set and the "Free play gain" set, it has worked flawlessly!! I haven't had to adjust if since! The bike hooks up and pulls like a tractor, there is no fading or issues toward the end of the moto and I highly recommend this to any rider on any brand bike!! The no stall perk (why I initially got this clutch) is fantastic and it saved me in this last race.... I fell down in the last moto on the first lap and the bike didn't die and got up going with only a few guys getting by me instead of finding neutral and getting started and losing an entire lap to the field....!!

I love my full auto clutch. They make manual ones that give you that extra "hook up and go" also!! Check em out and get you one!! This will benefit you with any brand bike!!

Rekluse.com

mxb2
6/11/2020 3:31pm
Nice, looking good.
Keating
7/1/2020 8:58am
Ride Engineering Products!!

So Ride Engineering makes several performance products to make your bike handle like a Works bike!! They also make some products to make your bike look as sweet as a Works bike!! You might have seen some of the Ride Eng products on my bike in some pics.... I've been holding off on my write up on these because I wanted to get a solid feel for how they improved performance and give you guys some usable feedback!
I have several hours using these and 8 motos of actual race time!

Triple Clamps,

These triple clamps don't just hold the forks to the bike and look cool.... Ride Eng has special engineered these to add a little more forgiveness to your front end!! This is an extra bonus on today's extra rigid, aluminum frame bikes! My RM-Z is quite rigid and these clamps have made a really nice improvement in the bike moving more fluid with the ground and not feeling so harsh! And of course the Factory finish is a great bonus!! These clamps are gonna help any bike feel better and give more rider comfort allowing for more ride time and less fatigue....!!! I highly recommend a set for any brand bike; you won't be disappointed!!

Performance link,

In my opinion, this is the best after market product you should get for your bike short of your favorite bars, grips, levers, and the correct suspension springs! I haven't experienced this kind of handling improvement from any $200ish product ever!!  This helped my RM-Z and last years 250SX vastly in the handling department with tracking through the rough stuff, settling into the corners (especially rutted turns), and soaking up the big jump landings! I am able to attack the turns through the entry braking bumps, settle into the corner with a smoother transition, flow through the turn, and accelerate out of the turn with better rear wheel hook up! It's a win, win, win.....!! The big flat ground landing jumps are soaked up like its nothing.  The link softens up the bottom of the stroke and makes it extra plush... That being said, it does make the link not ideal for the really big heavier riders. If you're a really large rider, this performance link isn't going to work well for you in this department and you'll probably blow through the end of your stroke and bottom out fairly harshly! Heavier riders will need a re-valve on most bikes anyway, but let your suspension expert know you're running the Performance link and they'll be able to make it perfect for you!! If they can't, I recommend calling JM Racing....

Front Brake Caliper,

Several companies have been making over sized rotor kits and different levels of brake pad "grippyness." Ride Eng has taken front brakes to another level and has developed a Caliper for your bike that has raised the bar on front brake power & control...!! This caliper made my front brake even stronger, but more importantly, it made it more progressive and gave me more control! So, my RM-Z and many other bikes comes with the "oversized" 270mm rotor and great braking power. My KTM (leads the pack in braking power) worked amazing, and this Suzuki works every bit as good.  Maybe, too good. A few times coming into corners, as I entered while still braking, the front end would start to give way as the front wheel started to lock up. The Ride Eng caliper gave me more control over my front end with the progressiveness of the brake and allowed me to brake deeper into the turn without loosing the front end! I also added their steel braided line to have maximum braking power without any fading and more durability!

Axle Blocks & Engine bling,

On the KTM/Huskys, you need the Ride Eng axle blocks and a CRF rear axle because the stock version is screwed together and creates a binding in the rear end. The Ride Eng setup eliminates this and frees up the rear end allowing it to work better. On my RM-Z, I like the easier to read marking so I can keep my chain adjusted correctly and my rear wheel lined up properly! The Factory look with the blocks as well as the different engine plugs is an Awesome Bonus!

Running the Ride Eng products on my KTM 250SX 2-stroke and this RM-Z250 have been a great improvement on the handling and performance of both bikes. Whether you're running 2-stokes or 4, aluminum of steel frame bike, these products Work!

Ride Engineering products are all made with great quality here in the USA!
I highly recommend these products!
Try them out for yourself, you'll love 'em!

Grant Kasper
Fantasy
4129th
7/1/2020 3:50pm
We got 1 more set of ti raptor pegs if you're looking for any Wink
Keating
7/1/2020 7:11pm
We got 1 more set of ti raptor pegs if you're looking for any Wink
Thanks Grant, I'll let you know. Appreciate ya!
Michael
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2447th
7/4/2020 11:41pm
hey something to try and dyno

Colton Aeck is testing out Keefers RMZ250. He cut out a good portion of the airbox and trimmed the inlets on the side plates. This helped increase airflow to the bike and livened up
Keating
7/7/2020 11:18am
hey something to try and dyno Colton Aeck is testing out Keefers RMZ250. He cut out a good portion of the airbox and trimmed the inlets...
hey something to try and dyno

Colton Aeck is testing out Keefers RMZ250. He cut out a good portion of the airbox and trimmed the inlets on the side plates. This helped increase airflow to the bike and livened up
Yes, I saw that and was very intrigued!! It sounds like it livened it up for his seat of the pants testing... I'm wanting to do that and put it on the Dyno and see how it helps!! Just for fun, I tried the Dyno a couple months ago without the seat and side plates and picked up half a horse when I was first making runs on the stock version!! So, I think more air can definitely help this yellow bike out!!!
Thanks for the info!!
Keating
11/10/2020 1:31pm
Hey guys, I've been out of pocket with an injury that I sustained at the Loretta regional at Freestone raceway in late June.  I got the fork tubes and shock shaft DLC coated to reduce friction and improve the action/movement of the suspension. I've just got 1 ride on the bike so far and it was back at Freestone for the Tony Miller memorial race (the deceased track owner; wonderful man!). Bike felt good, for sure, but I definitely need to put in some more saddle time with it and get some testing in with this new set-up.... I'm anticipating having to stiffen up the valving due to the reduced friction..... This was the case on my '03 YZ125! 

I'll update with more info soon after I have more to share!  Thanks everyone!!

deez387
12/3/2020 6:15am
wanted to jump in on this thread to follow as I am about to pick up a 10hr 2020 RMZ250 with some small mods (Full Yosh and RaceTech gold valves) stock motor...too good of a deal to pass up. Vet A rider as well that prefers 250s. Been having trouble finding some good threads of mods for these bikes and not many guys in my area that have Suzuki's. Love the mods you have done, very interested to hear your results after more testing. I do not want to mess with the motor too much, but always curious about getting the most out of whatever I have.
Keating
12/3/2020 9:25am
deez387 wrote:
wanted to jump in on this thread to follow as I am about to pick up a 10hr 2020 RMZ250 with some small mods (Full Yosh...
wanted to jump in on this thread to follow as I am about to pick up a 10hr 2020 RMZ250 with some small mods (Full Yosh and RaceTech gold valves) stock motor...too good of a deal to pass up. Vet A rider as well that prefers 250s. Been having trouble finding some good threads of mods for these bikes and not many guys in my area that have Suzuki's. Love the mods you have done, very interested to hear your results after more testing. I do not want to mess with the motor too much, but always curious about getting the most out of whatever I have.
Cool man! I've been very happy with all my mods! Testing is gonna be on and off for the winter. We have some nice weather down here, but sometimes it won't stop raining.... Planning on getting into the engine a little more this winter.
Stay tuned!
KVA_536
12/11/2020 8:49am
Keating wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/03/04/408426/s1200_20200304_172306.jpg[/img] [b][i]New Pipe Report,[/i][/b] Finally had some nice weather and my schedule matched up and bingo....We were riding!!! The [url=https://www.yoshimura-rd.com/collections/all/Suzuki-RM-Z250-2019]Yoshi RD-12[/url] pipe works every bit as...

New Pipe Report,

Finally had some nice weather and my schedule matched up and bingo....We were riding!!! The Yoshi RD-12 pipe works every bit as good as it looks...!!! Maybe even better!!

Headed out on Sunday and got in 3 good practice motos. I was really enjoying the RS12 on my RM-Z. It kept all the bottom and mid range, maybe even added to it, and helped it rev out tremendously!! The more I twisted the throttle, the more it kept pulling. It no longer needed to be short shifted, unless you want to short shift, it just kept making power til you decide you want another gear...!! The track was pretty sandy so I had a hard time telling exactly how much bottom and mid it was putting out. I would say it didn't loose any and probably gained a little bit!

The dyno is up and running, so I'll be able to see how the dyno runs compare to my "seat of the pants" testing...
Stay tuned and I'll get you guys some more info!!

What are you Driving!!?? Looks really close to my 2013 Transit Connect

Post a reply to: RM-Z250 JM Racing build *up to Cams & Chassis talk*

The Latest