2018 Yamaha 450 *Update, found the problem

Related:
Create New Tag

6/27/2018 9:40 PM

Retired the old KTM, I have had this for a couple of weeks now and done almost 10 hours on it since new. It will get a makeover today (thursday) with new plastics, graphics and a few carbon pieces I picked up for a good price. Pictures of that will also be posted today.

Still waiting on a few pieces from Yamaha, dealer said best case scenario I will have them tomorrow. Photo

|

6/28/2018 11:16 AM

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Almost done for the weekend, need to mount new tires and mousses and fix some small parts (number plate aint done to mount completely)

I bought a couple of carbon parts, mostly CMT however I am not sure where the JGR piece is from or if it's even avaliable to the public.
|

6/28/2018 1:31 PM

Lynch wrote:

Retired the old KTM, I have had this for a couple of weeks now and done almost 10 hours on it since new. It will get a ...more

Nice man, how do you like it or compare it to the ktm? Good and bad? If any.

|

6/30/2018 1:00 PM

yea we need a ride report !

|

7/1/2018 8:51 AM

mxb2 wrote:

I like it a lot! It's more stable than the KTM, the suspension is crazy good in stock form which you probably already know. The bike itself feels planted to the ground which I really like, I have had a few oh shit moments when I thought the bike would react in certain ways but it just kept it stable through it all. The Yamaha is more of a sit-inside of bike than the KTM which it felt like you sat on top of it.

The engine pulls everywhere, I did change the rear sprocket from the stock 48 to a 49 due to the big gap between the 2nd and 3rd gear. I noticed yesterday that Yamaha did the same update for 2019. It's way stronger than the KTM but still easy to use somehow, tried a couple of different maps and ended up on the famous TP map that everyone likes. Before picking up the bike I was dead set on ordering a Brembo or Magura hydraulic clutch but after a few hours I prefer the feel of the stock clutch.

I have ridden KTM/Husky for the last 7 years so I am not entirely used to everything when it comes to wrenching on it, the bike is well built and I actually prefer the Yamaha airbox that a lot of people seem to hate. Gonna leave my suspension to RG3 for some love whenever I get rid of my old bike + the Öhlins suspension for it, exited to see what they can do when the suspension is so good as it is.

If you or anyone else have any specific questions about the bike or anyting versus the KTM/Husky 450 just send me a pm or ask in this thread.

|

7/1/2018 8:58 AM

Fitted the GYTR skidplate, oil plug, axle blocks and Motionpro airbleeders for the forks. I have yet to fit the radiator cages, also from GYTR.
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

7/1/2018 9:28 AM

Lynch wrote:

Retired the old KTM, I have had this for a couple of weeks now and done almost 10 hours on it since new. It will get a ...more

mxb2 wrote:

Lynch wrote:

I like it a lot! It's more stable than the KTM, the suspension is crazy good in stock form which you probably already know. ...more

Thanks . Good info.

|

7/5/2018 2:40 PM

Lynch wrote:

mxb2 wrote:

Lynch wrote:

I like it a lot! It's more stable than the KTM, the suspension is crazy good in stock form which you probably already know. ...more

can you describe the different corner and jump ability of ktm and yamaha?

|

7/5/2018 10:20 PM

mg311 wrote:

can you describe the different corner and jump ability of ktm and yamaha?

I would say it's a bit easier to get into the tight corners with the KTM but while cornering the Yamaha feels better, more stable so it gives more confidence. Not sure what you are asking about the jump ability? How it feels or just if it's easy? However the Yamaha takes a differnt style to throw around compared to the KTM, maybe due to the central mass or extra weight? Either way it does not feel better or worse than the KTM so it does not make any difference to me.

|

7/10/2018 9:00 AM

what SAG are you running?

|

7/10/2018 12:03 PM

darren7878 wrote:

what SAG are you running?

105mm

|

7/16/2018 11:21 AM

Hi, any more hours on the Yam?, I have a 2017 SXF 450 and I am looking about for a change, been the same as you as in my time with KTM, so parting ways is a big jump!, but threads like this and Motofinne's are very welcome, so thanks for that and the info.

I would be looking into the 19' model 450 so not too sure on how much they have changed but it's nice to see former Orange members going Blue & enjoying their new bikes!.

|

2020.5 KTM Cairoli Factory Edition 5.7hrs
2019 Alta Redshift MXR - 0.9hrs!.
2020 KTM 250 SX 5hrs.

imoto34 wrote:
Look at all that torque. The kid on the lawnmower may have laughed so hard he shat his pants.

8/18/2018 6:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/18/2018 6:09 AM

#76 wrote:

Hi, any more hours on the Yam?, I have a 2017 SXF 450 and I am looking about for a change, been the same as you as in my time ...more

Ugh, sorry for replying so late but the summer in Sweden has been crazy good for everything but riding so my focus has been elsewhere. I still love the bike and have no desire to go back to orange or white after 15 ish hours. Any questions just ask here or send me a pm.

|

8/18/2018 6:07 AM

Installed the GYTR raditor braces and did the same tank hose mod as everyone else, drilled a hole in the airbox cover and rerouted it to clean it up. Like it a lot more this way.
Photo
Photo

|

8/19/2018 8:50 PM

I came of a Husky 2017. Keep us updated, info is good. Nice bike btw.

|

8/19/2018 9:59 PM

swtwtwtw wrote:

I came of a Husky 2017. Keep us updated, info is good. Nice bike btw.

Cheers buddy, waiting on a few parts, wheels etc. Might be able to upgrade to a 19 this winter if everything goes right. Not that I need to change bikes every 20-30 hours but having a fresh bike does not hurt.

|

8/20/2018 3:44 AM

Those carbon parts are gorgeous! Especially the rear brake cylinder guard.

I've noticed that my boot is wearing down the brake cylinder, a guard like that would be nice to have! Is it a JGR part?

|

Current fleet of two wheeled vehicles:
- KTM SX 250 2020
- Suzuki GSX-R 600 K7 track spec
- Canyon Sender CF 8.0 2018 Downhill
- Canyon Spectral:ON 7.0 2019 EMTB
- White GX Pro 20 Gravel

8/20/2018 3:57 AM

Motofinne wrote:

I've noticed that my boot is wearing down the ...more

Thanks! That is a CMT part, https://www.cmtcompositi.com/shop/yamaha/yzf-450-2014-2015-2016-2017/carbon-rear-pump-protection-126

|

8/20/2018 4:06 AM

Motofinne wrote:

I've noticed that my boot is wearing down the ...more

It's dangerous for the wallet to browse the CMT website, so many amazing parts! grin

|

- KTM SX 250 2020
- White GX Pro 20 Gravel

9/6/2018 9:36 AM

Finally picked up these badboys, never tried motomaster rotors so will be interesting testing.
Photo
Photo

|

9/6/2018 9:56 AM

Lynch wrote:

Finally picked up these badboys, never tried motomaster rotors so will be interesting testing.
Photo
Photo

Been running a motomaster rear rotor on our KX250 for about 10 years now. She's held up great.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

9/6/2018 1:19 PM

You will love the moto master front rotor dude

|

9/6/2018 8:11 PM

TymeMoto wrote:

Sounds good! A bit worried about the fact that the stock front rotor is a floating one and this is not but we'll see.

|

9/7/2018 12:29 AM

TymeMoto wrote:

Lynch wrote:

Sounds good! A bit worried about the fact that the stock front rotor is a floating one and this is not but we'll see.

I use a non floating rotor on my second set of wheels. I like it.

|

11/9/2018 6:35 AM

Hands down best mod I have done except for suspension!
Photo

|

11/10/2018 5:27 AM

Lynch wrote:

Hands down best mod I have done except for suspension!
Photo

Pegs like these are seriously underrated! I was never one for parts like this until I bought a pair earlier this year. More grip = more control

|

11/10/2018 6:26 AM

Yeah i have to agree. I also bought Twenty Ti pegs for my YZF 450 and i will run Ti pegs on all my bikes in the future! It's a huge upgrade.

|

- KTM SX 250 2020
- White GX Pro 20 Gravel

11/10/2018 7:41 AM

Motofinne wrote:

Yeah i have to agree. I also bought Twenty Ti pegs for my YZF 450 and i will run Ti pegs on all my bikes in the future! It's a ...more

Noticed the price because of your thread so thanks for that! w00t

|

11/10/2018 9:04 AM

Looks like they will eat your soles for breakfast, nice. cool

|

KX125

11/10/2018 3:16 PM

HenryA wrote:

Looks like they will eat your soles for breakfast, nice. cool

Surprisingly they don’t because there are more teeth than on stock pegs so your weight is more dispersed.

|