2018 KTM 350SX-F Manitoba MX Build

Edited Date/Time 6/6/2020 9:06pm
I'm working on building my Race Bike up, at the moment It's stock for now. I have a PC Ti-6 system on the way, skid plate and I'm on the fence whether I want to do a Twisted Development vortex ECU.
I got a smoking deal on this 18 last summer from Blackfoot in Calgary I'm excited to see how this bike is for longevity anyone who knows me from racing knows how many engines I go through.. and thats not for lack of maintenance
|
4/11/2020 5:39pm Edited Date/Time 4/11/2020 5:40pm
Well if you are that hard on engines just save the extra cash for maintenance and wear parts. Spend the money on suspension. I know it's not the answer you wanted but your wallet will thank you.

I'm also in Manitoba btw.
lappedrider
4/11/2020 7:09pm
I love my 18 and the motor has been super reliable. Although I left it stock and chose to modify the suspension.
4/11/2020 8:31pm
I love my 18 and the motor has been super reliable. Although I left it stock and chose to modify the suspension. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/04/11/419257/s1200_0ACF0949_7569_41BE_8B69_D01B084410A1.jpg[/img]
I love my 18 and the motor has been super reliable. Although I left it stock and chose to modify the suspension.
Nice bike man! I’m just doing exhaust and possibly an ECU to help with flame out i really enjoy the stock suspension on these bikes

The Shop

4/11/2020 8:32pm
Well if you are that hard on engines just save the extra cash for maintenance and wear parts. Spend the money on suspension. I know it's...
Well if you are that hard on engines just save the extra cash for maintenance and wear parts. Spend the money on suspension. I know it's not the answer you wanted but your wallet will thank you.

Where abouts in Manitoba?
T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
4/11/2020 9:12pm
I built one last year. Twisted Development mapped a Vortex ignition for me and the difference is absolutely incredible.

4/12/2020 4:59am
T-Fish wrote:
I built one last year. Twisted Development mapped a Vortex ignition for me and the difference is absolutely incredible. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/04/11/419295/s1200_DAD90A73_D45E_4A9F_AF6F_3C52E6EC7E88.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/04/11/419297/s1200_3226F0C1_AE9C_4D56_8209_629FEA619FFA.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/04/11/419296/s1200_E6DFFCB1_FC39_45C1_BB36_E1FBBC19E24F.jpg[/img]
I built one last year. Twisted Development mapped a Vortex ignition for me and the difference is absolutely incredible.

that is one nice looking bike! I've heard nothing but good things about twisted's work. with that being said I'm curious if elevation and temperature is going to effect the mapping to the point where I have to change maps through out the season. have you had any issues with that? I really like the look of those cone valves on your bike!
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
4/12/2020 5:27am
T-Fish wrote:
I built one last year. Twisted Development mapped a Vortex ignition for me and the difference is absolutely incredible. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/04/11/419295/s1200_DAD90A73_D45E_4A9F_AF6F_3C52E6EC7E88.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/04/11/419297/s1200_3226F0C1_AE9C_4D56_8209_629FEA619FFA.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/04/11/419296/s1200_E6DFFCB1_FC39_45C1_BB36_E1FBBC19E24F.jpg[/img]

that is one nice looking bike! I've heard nothing but good things about twisted's work. with that being said I'm curious if elevation and temperature is...
that is one nice looking bike! I've heard nothing but good things about twisted's work. with that being said I'm curious if elevation and temperature is going to effect the mapping to the point where I have to change maps through out the season. have you had any issues with that? I really like the look of those cone valves on your bike!
+1 on the TD vortex for the 350.

On the Vortex it has fuel trim adjusters so you can add or remove fuel depending on elevation and temp. I never change mine based on temp but it does help when you have big swings in elevation. Very easy.

I run Yosh full exhaust, 2 stroke filter cage, VP T4, 14/52 gearing.
4/12/2020 6:39am
+1 on the TD vortex for the 350. On the Vortex it has fuel trim adjusters so you can add or remove fuel depending on elevation...

On the Vortex it has fuel trim adjusters so you can add or remove fuel depending on elevation and temp. I never change mine based on temp but it does help when you have big swings in elevation. Very easy.

thanks man! that helps me out quite a bit. I've been following your build and already changed the gearing 14:52, how do you like the Enzo suspension on your 350?
4/12/2020 7:16am
Well if you are that hard on engines just save the extra cash for maintenance and wear parts. Spend the money on suspension. I know it's...

who do you use for suspension in Manitoba? I used to go through Borton when I rode yamis but with WP I don't know. I'm planning on keeping the engine stock on this bike! the engine is awesome the ECU would just clean up a couple quirks I've noticed when I ride single track with some MDR buddies. I'm open to all suggestions at the moment can't ride yet!
4/12/2020 7:31am Edited Date/Time 4/12/2020 7:32am

who do you use for suspension in Manitoba? I used to go through Borton when I rode yamis but with WP I don't know. I'm planning...
who do you use for suspension in Manitoba? I used to go through Borton when I rode yamis but with WP I don't know. I'm planning on keeping the engine stock on this bike! the engine is awesome the ECU would just clean up a couple quirks I've noticed when I ride single track with some MDR buddies. I'm open to all suggestions at the moment can't ride yet!
I'm in Brandon. I ship mine out to MP1 Suspension in Ontario. Been doing my stuff since 2004. He has a deal with Loomis. They come and pick it up from your house. It costs me roughly $50 on each end.
4/12/2020 9:13am
I'm in Brandon. I ship mine out to MP1 Suspension in Ontario. Been doing my stuff since 2004. He has a deal with Loomis. They come...
I'm in Brandon. I ship mine out to MP1 Suspension in Ontario. Been doing my stuff since 2004. He has a deal with Loomis. They come and pick it up from your house. It costs me roughly $50 on each end.
Thanks man! Do you just revalve and correct spring rates? I’m curious what guys like on the AER forks i do enjoy the suspension so far but i only have 15 hours on the bike.
4/12/2020 9:16am
I'm in Brandon. I ship mine out to MP1 Suspension in Ontario. Been doing my stuff since 2004. He has a deal with Loomis. They come...
Thanks man! Do you just revalve and correct spring rates? I’m curious what guys like on the AER forks i do enjoy the suspension so far...
Thanks man! Do you just revalve and correct spring rates? I’m curious what guys like on the AER forks i do enjoy the suspension so far but i only have 15 hours on the bike.
He has a KYB Conversion supplied by Technical Touch. Comes with Bullet lugs as well. It's pretty mint. There are a few posts on his Instagram. He is really responsive to messages so hit him up.
4/12/2020 12:22pm
Enzo does some pretty good stuff with aer 48’s. We have two 18’s. Pretty happy. Just pay close attention to ALL the nuts and bolts especially sprocket bolts, linkage, spokes, motor mounts, swingarm etc. Very good bikes
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
4/12/2020 8:59pm
+1 on the TD vortex for the 350. On the Vortex it has fuel trim adjusters so you can add or remove fuel depending on elevation...

thanks man! that helps me out quite a bit. I've been following your build and already changed the gearing 14:52, how do you like the Enzo...
thanks man! that helps me out quite a bit. I've been following your build and already changed the gearing 14:52, how do you like the Enzo suspension on your 350?
I really like the settings from Enzo. I’d recommend them for sure!
4/18/2020 9:32am
Just picked up my new Ti-6 Pro exhaust from the post office and got my suspension back from our local guy. Installed a bladder kit on the shock under recommendation. I decided to just leave valving stock until I figure out what I want to do (spring conversion/re-valve) I like the way this bike handles as it is for now. I've mostly ridden sand tracks on the stock suspension so I'll have to get out on some hard pack to make my final decision. I've heard great things about ESR's re-valve on the are 48's as well as Enzo. please if you guys have suggestions on suspension I'm all ears.

Hammer 663s
4/18/2020 9:51am
Also check out MX Tech for AER work.They do revalves or conversions at various price points, all in-house designs. I went Lucky Gen 1 conversion and revalve+Tank on shock. It transformed the bike, since now I have the front end feel that the air spring just can't provide. Their Gen 2 might be more suited to you.

Hammer
4/18/2020 10:01am
Also check out MX Tech for AER work.They do revalves or conversions at various price points, all in-house designs. I went Lucky Gen 1 conversion and...
Also check out MX Tech for AER work.They do revalves or conversions at various price points, all in-house designs. I went Lucky Gen 1 conversion and revalve+Tank on shock. It transformed the bike, since now I have the front end feel that the air spring just can't provide. Their Gen 2 might be more suited to you.

Hammer
is the gen2 the one wth just air spring? I've looked into the mx tech and my local guy can get the spring conversion from him.. I'd rather get Mx tech to do it though. I understand that the dual cartridge spring conversion is almost the same weight as the. stock AER fork
Hammer 663s
4/18/2020 1:32pm Edited Date/Time 4/18/2020 1:34pm
is the gen2 the one wth just air spring? I've looked into the mx tech and my local guy can get the spring conversion from him...
is the gen2 the one wth just air spring? I've looked into the mx tech and my local guy can get the spring conversion from him.. I'd rather get Mx tech to do it though. I understand that the dual cartridge spring conversion is almost the same weight as the. stock AER fork
Gen 2 is carbon body, closed cartridge, more oil capacity, built for fast guys, coil spring. Might be as light as the stock AER. I had MX Tech do mine, and I spent 2 rides trying various clicker settings till I found the sweet spot. Now I barely touch it. Rear shock I haven't touched at all - was perfect out of the box. I'm very happy with mine at $2k USD all in. My Gen 1 might be a little heavier than stock AER but I don't notice it at all.

Hammer
5/2/2020 9:14pm
got a few more hours on the bike mostly whooped out sand tracks and the odd hillclimb with some buddies (social distancing of course.) I'm definitely leaning towards doing a spring conversion. has anyone ridden the Enzo technica kyb conversion? and if so have you ridden the lucky system? I'd like to know peoples opinion between the two.
I finally got the finishing touches done on the bike for now until I come to a decision on suspension

5/3/2020 8:23am
We are having a love fest for the Lucky System over at https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Tech-Help-Race-Shop,42/AER-conversion-mxtech-lucky-tech-touch-Fc-spring-conversion,1370027?page=2 Seriously though, there's a couple recent reviews of both their Gen 1 and...
We are having a love fest for the Lucky System over at https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Tech-Help-Race-Shop,42/AER-conversion-mx…

Seriously though, there's a couple recent reviews of both their Gen 1 and Gen 2 setups. I am totally satisfied with my Gen 1s.

Hammer
Thanks man that thread helped me make my decision.. talked to the local suspension guy here and he’s gonna order a lucky kit when my suspension is due for its next service!
Hammer 663s
5/3/2020 1:51pm
We are having a love fest for the Lucky System over at https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Tech-Help-Race-Shop,42/AER-conversion-mxtech-lucky-tech-touch-Fc-spring-conversion,1370027?page=2 Seriously though, there's a couple recent reviews of both their Gen 1 and...
We are having a love fest for the Lucky System over at https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Tech-Help-Race-Shop,42/AER-conversion-mx…

Seriously though, there's a couple recent reviews of both their Gen 1 and Gen 2 setups. I am totally satisfied with my Gen 1s.

Hammer
Thanks man that thread helped me make my decision.. talked to the local suspension guy here and he’s gonna order a lucky kit when my suspension...
Thanks man that thread helped me make my decision.. talked to the local suspension guy here and he’s gonna order a lucky kit when my suspension is due for its next service!
You will not regret it. Post some feedback when you get some time on them.

Hammer
6/6/2020 9:28am
Just waiting on the MX-tech gen 2 lucky cartridges now! Excited to see how it changes the handling of the bike. I twisted my radiator pretty bad so i sent it out to a good rad/ oil cooler repair guy my dad has been working with for years. Any input on rad braces/guards I don’t want to have to deal with this again..
PTshox
6/6/2020 12:45pm
Do your self a favor and contact N2Dirt about a rear shock revalve with their link knuckle. A revalve alone won't get you where you want to go.. the knuckle is reasonably priced and works.. Fixes the levarage issue on that bike. I put one on mine. Glad I did!
Rickyisms
6/6/2020 9:06pm
Just waiting on the MX-tech gen 2 lucky cartridges now! Excited to see how it changes the handling of the bike. I twisted my radiator pretty...
Just waiting on the MX-tech gen 2 lucky cartridges now! Excited to see how it changes the handling of the bike. I twisted my radiator pretty bad so i sent it out to a good rad/ oil cooler repair guy my dad has been working with for years. Any input on rad braces/guards I don’t want to have to deal with this again..
The Flo motorsport ones look pretty nice.

Post a reply to: 2018 KTM 350SX-F Manitoba MX Build

The Latest