2017 KTM 250SX Build

LumpDog841
Edited Date/Time 9/28/2017 10:18pm
Last year when I first got the bike, tearing it down to grease all the bearings

Getting some graphics installed:

Now for some of the winter mods:

Art:

Cylinder porting and head mods were done by JBone Motorworks, and would highly recommend. The engine rips and Josh is a great guy who went above and beyond to help get the motor back together after a gasket mix-up with motosport.com. Seriously he 2nd day aired me new gaskets so I could ride that weekend and non of this was his fault. Would highly recommend. Next winter I'll probably send him the cases in an effort to squeeze some more power out of her. Overall I'm pretty happy with the bike, she definitely needs some graphics, but at the moment I need to just get some more hours in riding.

Also big thanks to Factory Connection to helping me out with the CV forks and shock.

|
LumpDog841
6/1/2017 6:18pm

Now for some of the issues I've had. KTM seems to have missed the mark on sealing up the ignition cover, and I keep breaking rear brake lever springs.
samcampbell
6/1/2017 8:16pm
Very nice build! Where did you see the biggest gain with the porting and head work? Thinking about having JBone do some work to mine this winter. As for breaking the rear brake spring, Faast makes a return spring that mounts under the rear master cylinder which fixes that problem.
LumpDog841
6/1/2017 8:25pm
Very nice build! Where did you see the biggest gain with the porting and head work? Thinking about having JBone do some work to mine this...
Very nice build! Where did you see the biggest gain with the porting and head work? Thinking about having JBone do some work to mine this winter. As for breaking the rear brake spring, Faast makes a return spring that mounts under the rear master cylinder which fixes that problem.
Yeah I have a few extra springs in my toolbox and once I go through those I'll order a Faast setup. As for the porting I got a nice gain on top and the power is now a lot smoother, with really good pickup off the bottom. Overall for the price and the turn around I was/am very happy with JBones work.

The Shop

opyguy
6/3/2017 5:28am
What did the pipe do to the power curve ( if anything)...mxa talking it up on their latest tc250 build.
LumpDog841
6/3/2017 3:06pm
opyguy wrote:
What did the pipe do to the power curve ( if anything)...mxa talking it up on their latest tc250 build.
Honestly not sure, I did all the engine work and reed valve over the winter.
erik_94COBRA
6/9/2017 9:14am
Nice build.

About the suspension, what weight and skill are you if you don't mind sharing? And what can you say about the CV + shock revalve (assuming it was revalved) compared to the stock setup?
LumpDog841
6/9/2017 6:52pm Edited Date/Time 6/9/2017 6:56pm
Nice build. About the suspension, what weight and skill are you if you don't mind sharing? And what can you say about the CV + shock...
Nice build.

About the suspension, what weight and skill are you if you don't mind sharing? And what can you say about the CV + shock revalve (assuming it was revalved) compared to the stock setup?
Thanks. 180lbs Intermediate "B" for the valving setup. The shock is revalved and has the bladder kit with a xtrig preload adjuster. The shock is amazing and honestly other than setting sag, I haven't even touched a clicker because it feels so good. The CV forks are pretty nice, and really confidence inspiring. Really great bottoming resistance and they track the ground a lot better. Also It's nice to feel the ground again after coming off the air stuff.
erik_94COBRA
6/10/2017 7:51am
LumpDog841 wrote:
Thanks. 180lbs Intermediate "B" for the valving setup. The shock is revalved and has the bladder kit with a xtrig preload adjuster. The shock is amazing...
Thanks. 180lbs Intermediate "B" for the valving setup. The shock is revalved and has the bladder kit with a xtrig preload adjuster. The shock is amazing and honestly other than setting sag, I haven't even touched a clicker because it feels so good. The CV forks are pretty nice, and really confidence inspiring. Really great bottoming resistance and they track the ground a lot better. Also It's nice to feel the ground again after coming off the air stuff.
Thanks for the reply.

Did FC recommend the revalved stock shock over the Trax shock? And did they have have any opinion on the AER setup with the spring insert compared to the Cone Valves?
kwenske321
6/10/2017 8:11am
LumpDog841 wrote:
Thanks. 180lbs Intermediate "B" for the valving setup. The shock is revalved and has the bladder kit with a xtrig preload adjuster. The shock is amazing...
Thanks for the reply. Did FC recommend the revalved stock shock over the Trax shock? And did they have have any opinion on the AER setup...
Thanks for the reply.

Did FC recommend the revalved stock shock over the Trax shock? And did they have have any opinion on the AER setup with the spring insert compared to the Cone Valves?
My .02

I have two rides on the factory connection aer48 spring conversion and so far it's pretty good. I would say the front wheel definitely seems to follow the ground better with better traction. Also, I have yet to bottom the forks on areas of my local track where the air configuration would bottom. There is some added weight with the spring conversion but it does not hinder the feel or handling characteristics of the bike. Overall I would recommend the FC spring conversion to anyone looking for more performance out of the aer48 or unhappy with the air fork characteristics but unwilling to spend the money on the cone valves.
erik_94COBRA
6/10/2017 8:45am
kwenske321 wrote:
My .02 I have two rides on the factory connection aer48 spring conversion and so far it's pretty good. I would say the front wheel definitely...
My .02

I have two rides on the factory connection aer48 spring conversion and so far it's pretty good. I would say the front wheel definitely seems to follow the ground better with better traction. Also, I have yet to bottom the forks on areas of my local track where the air configuration would bottom. There is some added weight with the spring conversion but it does not hinder the feel or handling characteristics of the bike. Overall I would recommend the FC spring conversion to anyone looking for more performance out of the aer48 or unhappy with the air fork characteristics but unwilling to spend the money on the cone valves.
Glad you replied too. I was watching your posts in another thread.

I see you're in Houston. Where do you normally ride? I rotate between 3P, Rio, and Freedom and am bike number 245 on a Husky TC250. Stop by if you see me out there.
kwenske321
6/10/2017 8:51am
kwenske321 wrote:
My .02 I have two rides on the factory connection aer48 spring conversion and so far it's pretty good. I would say the front wheel definitely...
My .02

Glad you replied too. I was watching your posts in another thread. I see you're in Houston. Where do you normally ride? I rotate between 3P...
Glad you replied too. I was watching your posts in another thread.

I see you're in Houston. Where do you normally ride? I rotate between 3P, Rio, and Freedom and am bike number 245 on a Husky TC250. Stop by if you see me out there.
Mostly 3p, but DM me and let's exchange numbers. Always looking for more people to ride with!
LumpDog841
6/11/2017 7:26pm
Thanks for the reply. Did FC recommend the revalved stock shock over the Trax shock? And did they have have any opinion on the AER setup...
Thanks for the reply.

Nope, I was just/am really happy with the revalved shock and bladder kit. Additionally some of the reviews for the trax shock, led me to believe that only pros really like it. I did discuss the options for the spring conversion, but I decided that I wanted the CV forks.
LumpDog841
9/9/2017 8:58pm

Little update with some new graphics and plastic. Sorry for the messy shop...

Markee
Fantasy
1941st
9/11/2017 4:19am
Bike looks good!
victor16
9/27/2017 4:07pm
LumpDog841 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/06/01/198576/s1200_2017_03_19_15.10.44.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/06/01/198577/s1200_2017_05_15_20.05.28.jpg[/img] Now for some of the issues I've had. KTM seems to have missed the mark on sealing up the ignition cover, and I keep...

Now for some of the issues I've had. KTM seems to have missed the mark on sealing up the ignition cover, and I keep breaking rear brake lever springs.
Good looking KTM lumpdog
victor16
9/27/2017 4:08pm
Good looking KTM lumpdog :-) about your issues... I had them as well. I put a little bit of yamabond 5?? The black one.. sorry, I'm not at home. Amyway... I put yamabond on the bottom of the cover and it helps a lot to keep the ignition clean. About the spring... I broke it as well like 4 times before I had it. I put a rear brake pedal spring from a 2007 Yamaha 250 yz and it works like a charm. Pretty cheap and it won't break. I hope this helps. Brraaaappp
mxstate
9/27/2017 6:38pm
Lumpdog
Here's a clean fix option for the rear brake pedal.
https://www.fasstco.com/collections/motorcycle/products/rear-brake-retu…

I have a TC250 and I saw the same accumulation of sticky residue. I believe it's just a slow seep from the small socket head set screw on the inner face of the case. This screw is just plugging a hole needed during some machining of the case.

Victor.... a Yamaha part on a KTM? Really? Blink Don't dare parking next to me next time I see you BuddyTongue
Lynch
9/27/2017 9:41pm
Buy the older brake spring instead of the 17.
LumpDog841
9/28/2017 6:59pm
mxstate wrote:
Lumpdog Here's a clean fix option for the rear brake pedal. https://www.fasstco.com/collections/motorcycle/products/rear-brake-return-spring [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/27/216980/s1200_spring.jpg[/img] I have a TC250 and I saw the same accumulation of sticky residue...
Lumpdog
Here's a clean fix option for the rear brake pedal.
https://www.fasstco.com/collections/motorcycle/products/rear-brake-retu…

I have a TC250 and I saw the same accumulation of sticky residue. I believe it's just a slow seep from the small socket head set screw on the inner face of the case. This screw is just plugging a hole needed during some machining of the case.

Victor.... a Yamaha part on a KTM? Really? Blink Don't dare parking next to me next time I see you BuddyTongue
Yeah, after I go through my stock of oem springs that is what I'm going with. I ended up sealing the cover with high temp silicon, which seems to work.
LumpDog841
9/28/2017 7:03pm
victor16 wrote:
Good looking KTM lumpdog :-) about your issues... I had them as well. I put a little bit of yamabond 5?? The black one.. sorry, I'm...
Good looking KTM lumpdog :-) about your issues... I had them as well. I put a little bit of yamabond 5?? The black one.. sorry, I'm not at home. Amyway... I put yamabond on the bottom of the cover and it helps a lot to keep the ignition clean. About the spring... I broke it as well like 4 times before I had it. I put a rear brake pedal spring from a 2007 Yamaha 250 yz and it works like a charm. Pretty cheap and it won't break. I hope this helps. Brraaaappp
Thanks, I have an 06 YZ125. I'll see if that works.
9/28/2017 10:18pm
Holy VP Stock Pile Batman! Are you a filling station for them?!?! Jeez, and I thought my 3 cans were too many..
greg570
9/29/2017 12:43am
I see you are using taller seat? How tall are you? Also which grips do you have on the plastic/airbox?
victor16
9/29/2017 8:13am
Lynch wrote:
Buy the older brake spring instead of the 17.
Lynch, I tried the older spring from a 2013 KTM 250sx and it does not work. It is too short. I used to have a 2006 yz Yamaha and lucky me, i still have a lot of yz spare parts. when it is Friday night and you find something broken on your bike, I had to improvise. Well... i tried the yz spring thinking it was not going to at least amd maybe give me just couple of rides. Well... 3 months later and that thing is still holding on like factory.

So yeah mxstate... a yz part on the KTM as s last resort but ending fixing my problem completely for pretty much free cost... I will take that any day. Lol
LumpDog841
10/1/2017 3:24pm
Holy VP Stock Pile Batman! Are you a filling station for them?!?! Jeez, and I thought my 3 cans were too many..
Lol, It's sort of a problem as I don't know what to do with the empty cans....
LumpDog841
10/1/2017 3:29pm
greg570 wrote:
I see you are using taller seat? How tall are you? Also which grips do you have on the plastic/airbox?
I am, at the moment though I just purchased an Acerbis X-Seat, which is the stock height. I will probably go back to the stock height as I feel the taller seat sort of screws up the handling. I'm about 6 foot tall (183 cm), maybe 6'1" (185 cm) with boots on. Though I do run my pegs down and back which I like.

This is what I buy for my grip tape:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018A8HCUY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_…

Post a reply to: 2017 KTM 250SX Build

The Latest