2017 Husky TC 125 build.

jeffro503
Edited Date/Time 5/29/2018 9:56am
So I picked this up last week , and wanted to get a couple things fixed / looked at before I took her out. Mainly get the jetting specs in order , and check to see if I was one of the guys who may have a faulty reed cage / reeds ( I do slightly ). So I got a hold of my buddy Joel who just moved back to town. Joel if the former mechanic for Weston Pieck and then Shane McElrath's mechanic for the past 2 - 3 years. He's also help build some really nice LL's bikes for amateurs over here in the NW. His attention to detail is crazy to say the least.

So once I got the bike over to his his house ( which is right down the street ) , we talked about what I'd like to get done , and then we talked about , since he'll have it all week ( or two ) , he figured he would do the initial greasing on it as well. Like I was saying , Joel's eye for every single detail is pretty crazy. Told me probably 50 different little things they do to the factory KTM bikes at TLD on getting the " Race ready " and prepped. With me being slammed at work , and him being slightly bored and looking for a bike to work on.....he took over on my new 125.

Joel is kind of wanting to do specialty type builds , maybe 1 - 2 bikes at a time. He's just getting his shop together. A lot of people out here in the NW and the entire industry knows who Joel is , and his attention to detail is freakin' crazy! I dig it!

The day I picked it up.

Less then 1 hour after I dropped it off!!

Reed cage does have some gaps , and new ones coming.

Things I never notice , but bugs the hell out of him.

Joel has mentioned that he has some ideas , and a few certain things he wants to do to this bike. Going through every nut and bolt , modding the airbox and a bunch of other stuff. She'll mainly be going back together completely stock , but totally race ready with a few little goodies here and there. The weather has been so crappy up here lately , I figured " Why not?" , and I trust Joel 100% . At the moment we are waiting for a few things , and in the meantime he's already getting bored , so he sent me this....which is just the tip of the ice berg.

|
jeffro503
3/14/2017 8:48am Edited Date/Time 3/14/2017 8:52am
More pics and info when the time comes. BTW.....on the new pipe , I'm on the fence between the Scalvini or a FMF factory fatty. I'm leaning more towards the Scalvini because I was extremely happy with it on my RM. More power every where , with even more over rev at the very top. Strongest pipe I have ever put my hands on.....and they just plain look cool as hell.
mxb2
3/14/2017 10:07am
Gonna be sick man, congrats, looking forward to the bike build pics coming.
mxb2
3/14/2017 11:44am
jeffro503 wrote:
Thanks Billy!!
Np.man,. I might have a new project soonSillySilly

The Shop

3/14/2017 2:59pm
Just that radiator pic is awesome, so once everything is gone through it will look amazing.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
3/14/2017 3:08pm
I'm running the FMF Fatty and shorty, makes great bottom end. I love the cone pipe though, just don't want to spend money to try it out... Maybe you get the cone pipe and we trade one day at the track and test?
HenryA
3/14/2017 3:08pm
Haha you're crazy. Just ride the damn thing!! Laughing
Gus15
3/14/2017 4:34pm
Wow, compliments!
congrats on the new bike!
from a neighbor in Oregon city...
KooyaKooya
3/14/2017 6:18pm
I'd be curious to see a real world weight on this bike if you get the chance, particularly if it still has the stock tires and tubes.
jeffro503
3/14/2017 9:50pm
@Joe....Hell yeah man , that sounds like a plan! I'm pretty sure I won't be getting a shorty for mine. Going with the TI Powercore 2.1 , along with the Scalvini. And for a comparison on the Scalvini.....I had an FMF Gnarly pipe on my RM ( known for bottom power , ok mid and flat on top ). The Scalvini Has more hit on the bottom , quite a bit more in the mid and it over revved way more then the Gnarly pipe. It is basically what a Fatty would be , except they say that the Gnarly has even better low end power then the fatty......The Scalvini was better than the Gnarly as well , so see where I'm going? I love the fatty pipes , but now that I've used the Scalvini , I'm sticking with them...love em'!

@ Gus.....thanks neighbor!!

@ Henry......I am going to try and ride this weekend , if it's not pouring rain , like it has been the past 4 months. And I always tear down my new bikes and grease them , as I've learned the hard way. Check out the steering stem pic below. That was pulled right off my Husky , and almost every single bearing on the bike hardly had anything. So I'll take this crappy weather time and prep my bikes for the spring , summer and fall riding. Saves me a huge PIA from having to press all the bearings out later.

@ Kooya.....I don't think we have a scale big enough to weigh a bike.

Hardly any freakin' grease!

Buffing out the casting marks.

Something a little special....I'll put pics up when we get it here.

ledger
3/14/2017 11:03pm
Congrats on the ride, and also having a friend that's...in the know. I personally think the Husky's are the best looking bike's on the planet, you'll have a blast with this one.
jeffro503
3/14/2017 11:14pm
ledger wrote:
Congrats on the ride, and also having a friend that's...in the know. I personally think the Husky's are the best looking bike's on the planet, you'll...
Congrats on the ride, and also having a friend that's...in the know. I personally think the Husky's are the best looking bike's on the planet, you'll have a blast with this one.
Thanks Ledger! Yeah I hope so too. I'm planning on riding it a lot this summer. Looking forward to learning how to ride one correctly....wide open as much as possible ! Haha.
3/15/2017 8:31am
You set on the Scalvini? I went from a factory fatty to a Scalvini on my 16 tc250 and it was essentially stronger everywhere... Plus 2 hp for looks alone
JBlain619
3/15/2017 9:08am
You're killin me Jeffro!!!

I'm second guessing my 17 FC450 purchase now!

Any idea of what you're going to do graphics/plastic wise?

JB
3/15/2017 5:31pm Edited Date/Time 3/15/2017 5:31pm
Nice build!

Always a good idea giving a new bike a grease job from the factory, doing the samething myself.

From what I've heard from engine builders who have dyno'd pipes for the TC 125, HGS is meant to be the best. I've gone bills pipes, just because I've heard they benchmark their pipe off the HGS, plus I love their carbon silencer Smile

I'll be following your progress.
jeffro503
3/15/2017 7:14pm
JBlain619 wrote:
You're killin me Jeffro!!!

I'm second guessing my 17 FC450 purchase now!

Any idea of what you're going to do graphics/plastic wise?

JB
Haha. By no means should this build persuade you into getting something different John! And the graphics??....I'm not really sure as of yet. I may run it stock for a while until I figure something out , as I kinda dig the stock look on the bike already. I almost don't want to throw black back grounds and white numbers on it , but it's a 125 so I think I should. I'm so used to the 450's and 250 2 strokes , where we use white back grounds and black numbers. A graphics package?....Christ , that could send me into a 6 month mind fuck! haha!

@ Joe....That pic above is of a billet top piece for the radiator used by factory KTM and Husqvarna. On the Husky's for some reason , some riders have hit the radiator cap with their knee's and it came loose during the race. I had to ship my right side down to replace the one they are sending up , that will already be welded in place and to be put onto the bike. I thought it was pretty trick , so I just went with it. They haven't started selling to the public yet , but Joel is like family with the TLD team. So he pulled some strings to make that happen.

@ Michael....you are 100% correct! I feel the same way about the Scalvini. The performance of those pipes is amazing , they look awesome , and are tough as nails. I've had many rocks come up and slam that pipe on my RM , and it isn't even scratched. I'm a firm believer for sure.
jeffro503
3/15/2017 7:16pm
Nice build! Always a good idea giving a new bike a grease job from the factory, doing the samething myself. From what I've heard from engine...
Nice build!

Always a good idea giving a new bike a grease job from the factory, doing the samething myself.

From what I've heard from engine builders who have dyno'd pipes for the TC 125, HGS is meant to be the best. I've gone bills pipes, just because I've heard they benchmark their pipe off the HGS, plus I love their carbon silencer Smile

I'll be following your progress.
Right on JC! You can't go wrong with a Bill's pipe either. I've never tried the HGS pipes , but have heard great things about them. I just love my Scalvini's!
jmc2
Fantasy
1626th
3/15/2017 8:37pm
Congratulations on the new bike and that pretty cool to have someone there to completely go through it, and with photos as well.

Looking forward to finished project and ride report.
bronwynrayne
3/15/2017 8:46pm
If he lives right down the street I wanna meet him and pick his brain! And maybe bring my YZ in and see if he can learn me a thing or 400.

Looks great, stoked to ride with you soon, smash some beers and pass out on your floor haha.
jeffro503
3/15/2017 9:01pm
If he lives right down the street I wanna meet him and pick his brain! And maybe bring my YZ in and see if he can...
If he lives right down the street I wanna meet him and pick his brain! And maybe bring my YZ in and see if he can learn me a thing or 400.

Looks great, stoked to ride with you soon, smash some beers and pass out on your floor haha.
LMFAO! For sure I could take you over to meet Joel! Shit , I already told him about how you like getting your hands dirty , and you aren't afraid to do it. I told him about the Harley front forks we did , and he dug the shit out of it. So yeah....you wanna learn some stuff , Joel knows what he's doing.

And me , you and Justin can smash beers any time. Braaaap!
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
3/16/2017 4:45pm
looking good
jeffro503
3/16/2017 11:28pm
Couple more pics from today. Have all the rear linkage , rads , shifter , brake pedal and other misc items all buffed out and looking sharp. Customized the airbox to lighten it up and get rid of all the battery holder and misc stuff that didn't need to be there. Possibly the right side will be drilled out , instead of the left for better airflow. ( still figuring out exactly where we want to put them ) The motor is back in , but we're waiting on the new Vforce to arrive , along with the custom right side radiator before we finish the last few stages. Should be back together by next weekend if the new reed cage shows up in time.

chuckdavies
3/17/2017 2:46am
Looking great, any more pics of what bits you cut out from the battery holder etc please, i'd like to do that to mine.

Also, please get pics when you drill out the left side of the airbox, thanks!
mingham97
3/17/2017 4:33am
Looks wicked Jeffro! Would love to see a bit of that husky yellow powder coat somewhere on the bike but it looks wicked as is!
jeffro503
3/17/2017 6:57am
Looking great, any more pics of what bits you cut out from the battery holder etc please, i'd like to do that to mine. Also, please...
Looking great, any more pics of what bits you cut out from the battery holder etc please, i'd like to do that to mine.

Also, please get pics when you drill out the left side of the airbox, thanks!
Thanks Chuck and Mingham. And Chuck , I'll try and get Joel to send me a pic of the scrap he removed from the sub frame. There may actually be more removed , as there is still quite a bit of plastic sitting inside there , that has absolutely no function. Also....most all the factory KTM and Husky's will have the holes drilled on the left side of the bike , but they have played around with doing some on the right side as well. There is a little more room to play with on the 2 stroke , compared to the 4 stroke version. Me personally , I'd like to keep the holes a little further away from the filter itself , but still get good airflow.

So after I get some riding in her , ( as I want to see what she's like stock , so I can notice the power difference as I move along ). I'll have the Vforce sitting in there already , and be matching it up with the Scalvini pipe and the TI Powercore 2.1. Then after I get those installed , I'll start to play around with some oxygenated fuels. Before I go that route though , I'll be doing more research on exactly what fuel I want to run. I might go the VP route , or possibly stuck with Sunoco.

JM485
3/17/2017 7:54pm
Looking damn good Jeffro, that's a killer hookup you have! Hopefully I can see that thing tearing it up in person at some point, it's going to be one of those builds you really have to know what you're looking at to truly appreciate all the little things.

Post a reply to: 2017 Husky TC 125 build.

The Latest