2016 KTM 125 Refresh

Related:
Create New Tag

3/14/2018 3:32 PM

A few years ago I never would've thought that I would've had anywhere near a brand new bike, but after getting serious into racing my dad has made it happen. About 5 months ago we picked up a 2016 KTM 125, with a full pro circuit mod motor (Bought from Palmer Neely) I'm pretty sure this was his bike for his LL qualifiers, And then that was it. I don't wanna put hours on this bike unless i'm racing it, So we picked up another 16 125 (Stock) from a buddy who raced a couple GNCCs on it but preferred his 2012 more so he didn't ride it too much. The bike sat in his shop for a solid 3 months plus as a skeleton while the motor was being rebuilt at TF racing in Florida. My plans for this bike are to keep the motor stock but appearance wise mirror my race bike.

The motor is slapped in at the moment, but 0 Hours on the crank, cylinder, and piston. It's in need of some TLC so before i ride it we are tearing it down to refresh everything else. New plastics, chassis bearings, Pro circuit works pipe and r304 shorty, graphics, Probably PC the frame, and clean everything up nice. It'll be a little bit before we start tearing into it but I had some downtime but I had some downtime at work to write this up. here's some pics of it and my race bike.

|

3/14/2018 5:00 PM

Heck yea man, congrats on the Sick bikes!

|

3/14/2018 5:25 PM

Thanks!

|

3/14/2018 6:03 PM

Congrats, 2 bikes that's awesome!

|

3/15/2018 7:06 AM

BenG wrote:

Congrats, 2 bikes that's awesome!

I have another project lined up after this one too.

|

3/15/2018 6:01 PM

You guys think i should swap the bud racing clamps from the new one to my race bike to match the orange hubs? Since it's a practice bike and I don't have a huge budget to pour into it i'm just gonna polish up the stock hubs.

|

3/15/2018 10:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/15/2018 10:03 PM

Put all the best parts on the race bike. Used/oem on the practice bike.

I have a pipe and some silencers for sale if you’re looking:
https://m.vitalmx.com/forums/For-Sale-Bazaar,26/16-KTM-125-Pipe-and-Silencers,1336319

|

3/16/2018 5:15 AM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

Put all the best parts on the race bike. Used/oem on the practice bike.

I have a pipe and some silencers for sale if you’re looking:
https://m.vitalmx.com/forums/For-Sale-Bazaar,26/16-KTM-125-Pipe-and-Silencers,1336319

I have a full OEM but looking to stay with pro circuit but thanks for the offer.

|

3/22/2018 2:01 PM

Finished tear down today, Also trying to fix a clutch slip issue from last weekend in my race bike, pulled the cover off to see a hinson clutch, Good stuff!

|

3/22/2018 10:51 PM

Open your clutch master cylinder cover. It tends to have pressure buildup when clutch plates wear and causes clutch to slip. You might still need to replace your clutch plates though.

|

3/23/2018 3:55 AM

JMX82 wrote:

Open your clutch master cylinder cover. It tends to have pressure buildup when clutch plates wear and causes clutch to slip. You might still need to replace your clutch plates though.

Thanks i'll have to check it out, riding a private track tuesday after work.

|

3/23/2018 7:08 PM

Anyone know much vent line i would need to redo the carb?

|

3/25/2018 7:25 PM

No bike work done, waiting on some pay. Did build a sweet workbench today.

|

4/7/2018 1:59 PM

Sorry for no updates guys, I've been rushing to get my race bike dialed in the past couple weeks for the LLAQ that was today and needless to say it didn't go as i hoped, But now I know where I need to be for next year.

I'm also trying to build up some more parts I might need, but now that the rush of the qualifier is done I can focus on training and building this bike.

|

5/29/2019 10:58 PM

Wow, didn't even think it was a year since I started this thread but it took a while to find. I never got around to doing much of anything on this bike honestly, sometimes I hate to admit it but there are more important things in life than dirt bikes and a schedule that only allows for so much of them (and a budget). After I bought this bike I was working every day after school, riding on weekends, and worked all through summer putting money away to buy my first truck. Before I know it senior year is here and we're back to school, working after school, nights at the gym, and then racing on the weekends. I was able to win my second championship this year and put all my effort into that. The season winded down, Senior exams rolled around, Graduation, And all that other stuff took up the last couple months.

I've been out of school and putting dough aside to start this thing. It's no easy deal in high school paying for your truck, insurance, fuel, and the nights out with friends and what not and i am beyond thankful for my dad to put up with all my crazy stuff and still back me with motorcycle racing. Since the season ended I have been taking a downtime from riding and dropped my frame off to get powdercoated and I got it back this week! Super excited as I walked in, paid with my money, and walked out with something I know will produce me a ton of joy.

My goal for this bike is to be a sort of budget build, using what I have, cleaning up stock components, buying used components, and replacing what needs to be replaced.

Things to do
Motor is assembled, would like to get it cleaned up while still assembled so need to look into that.

New tires

Clean up stock parts I can still use

Clean the swingarm up nice

New chain/sprockets/chain slider.

I would really like to redo just about every damn fastener with some chinese Ti or specbolt nickel plated stuff, I had gotten a list of all sizes and quantities needed for each part for a 17 250SX from a fellow vital member but my phone took a shit and I lost it, So if you are reading this would you mind posting it again?

I would like a PC shorty and works pipe to match my other bike in sound but I have a good condition OEM setup i will use for now

I need a petcock for this bike, If you have a used one you would part with please comment!

Along with a clutch slave cylinder, was missing when I bought the bike

I've been collecting little things I've snagged used/cheap. Some small anodized parts, A rough shape P3 skid plate I hope I can clean up, ETC.

|