2015 ktm sx to a 16-18 plastics swap ?

grgtejada89
Hello, i have a 2015 150sx and i want to install 2016 and up plastics, i was looking online to see if anybody has done it and some France shop did it back in 2015. But there’s not much detail about it. :/

From my research I have to change the subframe,gas tank, airbox and seat to be able to do a full plastics switch. I have a guy on eBay who’s selling all the parts brand new out of a 2018 150sx for about $600 dollars. What you guys think? Should i give it a try or just try to sell it and get a used 2016 and up? Thank you.
|
TJMX947
4/4/2018 7:52am
Personally...I would sell the bike for $3000 - $3500, depending on the condition, and put $1000 - $1500 with it and look for a 2016.

I would be afraid to put $1000 into the project and it still comes out looking like shit. I'm no fabricator, nor do I like tinkering on that level. Plus the 2016+ are supposed to be the cream of the crop by 125 standards. Also everything points to the 2019 being the next generation although we won't know for a few more months. If it were me, I'd sell that '15, put that money plus what you would spend on the project on a left over 2018 since the 2019 will likely be heavily updated, or just go ahead and buy a 2019. I bet you'll be able to find a brand new 2018 for $6500 OTD or less come May or June.

When I was younger I really cared about having the newest bike on the block. These days I just want to have a bike that is in good shape and performs well. I don't think its worth it to go barrel scraping just to have the next newest body style...you could end up buying a money pit and you'll wish you never got rid of the old bike. But YOLO! Lol...good luck.
Bramlett321
4/4/2018 10:17am
Hello, i have a 2015 150sx and i want to install 2016 and up plastics, i was looking online to see if anybody has done it...
Hello, i have a 2015 150sx and i want to install 2016 and up plastics, i was looking online to see if anybody has done it and some France shop did it back in 2015. But there’s not much detail about it. :/

From my research I have to change the subframe,gas tank, airbox and seat to be able to do a full plastics switch. I have a guy on eBay who’s selling all the parts brand new out of a 2018 150sx for about $600 dollars. What you guys think? Should i give it a try or just try to sell it and get a used 2016 and up? Thank you.
I attempted that build, and it has been done by the way. There was picture floating around here at one point in time. After I totaled all the pricing up I was somewhere between $1100-1200, as good as it does look I just couldn't pull the trigger.
grgtejada89
4/4/2018 2:11pm
Hello, i have a 2015 150sx and i want to install 2016 and up plastics, i was looking online to see if anybody has done it...

I attempted that build, and it has been done by the way. There was picture floating around here at one point in time. After I totaled...
I attempted that build, and it has been done by the way. There was picture floating around here at one point in time. After I totaled all the pricing up I was somewhere between $1100-1200, as good as it does look I just couldn't pull the trigger.
So it doesn’t come out exactly like 2016 with those changes? I haven’t buy the parts but the guy gave me a really good deal for all the parts i need, for just $450 all brand new parts, subframe,airbox,seat, and thank. I already have the plastics since i got an extra set of plastics for my sxf. Thanks
grgtejada89
4/4/2018 2:15pm
TJMX947 wrote:
Personally...I would sell the bike for $3000 - $3500, depending on the condition, and put $1000 - $1500 with it and look for a 2016. I...
Personally...I would sell the bike for $3000 - $3500, depending on the condition, and put $1000 - $1500 with it and look for a 2016.

I would be afraid to put $1000 into the project and it still comes out looking like shit. I'm no fabricator, nor do I like tinkering on that level. Plus the 2016+ are supposed to be the cream of the crop by 125 standards. Also everything points to the 2019 being the next generation although we won't know for a few more months. If it were me, I'd sell that '15, put that money plus what you would spend on the project on a left over 2018 since the 2019 will likely be heavily updated, or just go ahead and buy a 2019. I bet you'll be able to find a brand new 2018 for $6500 OTD or less come May or June.

When I was younger I really cared about having the newest bike on the block. These days I just want to have a bike that is in good shape and performs well. I don't think its worth it to go barrel scraping just to have the next newest body style...you could end up buying a money pit and you'll wish you never got rid of the old bike. But YOLO! Lol...good luck.
Thanks for your response, but i look at it this way, my 15 pulls way more than any stock or slightly modified 16 and up 150sx so this is the reason i want to do the swap since the bike has the engine freshly done and suspension. I just want to really confirm if that swap can be done before spending the money and if the parts fits in right away or i have to modefied any parts to make it fit if that’s the case then i won’t even touch the bike and leave it the way it is now. Thanks

The Shop

TejasTJ
4/4/2018 6:04pm
I have a ‘16 250 xc-f, I recently lowered the rear subframe a few millimeters and it wasn’t to bad. Getting a couple of the holes on the side panels to line up took some light trimming with a dremel tool. If you have decent mechanical skills you should be able to make it happen. Might wanna research what’s needed to make the tank work on your bike. Another thing is there will probably be a good amount of trimming to make the airbox fit your bike.
grgtejada89
4/4/2018 6:47pm
TejasTJ wrote:
I have a ‘16 250 xc-f, I recently lowered the rear subframe a few millimeters and it wasn’t to bad. Getting a couple of the holes...
I have a ‘16 250 xc-f, I recently lowered the rear subframe a few millimeters and it wasn’t to bad. Getting a couple of the holes on the side panels to line up took some light trimming with a dremel tool. If you have decent mechanical skills you should be able to make it happen. Might wanna research what’s needed to make the tank work on your bike. Another thing is there will probably be a good amount of trimming to make the airbox fit your bike.
Some people are responding that i don’t need trimming at all, with the new subframe everything should fall into place and the tank is very similar, i hope i can get it done, i got all the parts i need for less than 500 which isn’t that bad at all. Thanks
Axe71
12/9/2018 9:57am
TejasTJ wrote:
I have a ‘16 250 xc-f, I recently lowered the rear subframe a few millimeters and it wasn’t to bad. Getting a couple of the holes...
Some people are responding that i don’t need trimming at all, with the new subframe everything should fall into place and the tank is very similar...
Some people are responding that i don’t need trimming at all, with the new subframe everything should fall into place and the tank is very similar, i hope i can get it done, i got all the parts i need for less than 500 which isn’t that bad at all. Thanks
How did it work out for you?
12/17/2018 2:55pm
Any updates?. Dry

Post a reply to: 2015 ktm sx to a 16-18 plastics swap ?

The Latest