2015 Crf 450 Aus ground up rebuild

benno387
2/1/2017 2:24pm Edited Date/Time 10/9/2018 8:21am
Hey lads
I'm in the process of rebuilding my 2015 crf450 from ground up and have basically started this to get some ideas and input as I go along
After a crash last year destroying my yoshi exhaust and subframe and then a couple months later I cooked the bike, so I though after all the neglect she has been through its time to show her some love
I'm setting the bike up to compete in my second finke desert race and local events
So far it's a full engine rebuild
Consisting of all bearings
Hi Como piston
Stage 2 cam
New crank
Ecu remap
Ect ect
The frame will be cleaned down
Most likely soda blasted with the idea I got of one other member here in Aus doing it in a tent
I wanted to anodise the frame but no one in Aus will do it that I have found also checked out powder coating it and using raptor liner but any ideas are good
There will be the obvious stuff like Steg pegs, tank, new seat foam, tyres, moose tubes, tn design works sliders the list goes on
Also I have a few options for suspension with a ohlins shock, 2015 and 2013 shock, standard psf2 forks. A set of 2010 Crf 250 forks and a set of 2014 Crf 450 forks on there way
I have a good idea on direction with suspension already with the help of gdr in Alice Spring
Basically any ideas you guys have I'm open to but remembering I'm in Kalgoorlie western Australia and that make me somewhat limited and I'm trying to get
I will post up some more photos tonight when I get home from work
Cheers guys

|
rockyuno
2/1/2017 2:50pm
You should try the Neken 25mm offset triple clamp. Best mod i did for sand tracks and fast riding
Ohlins shock is a good choice also
Good luck!
benno387
2/1/2017 2:56pm
rockyuno wrote:
You should try the Neken 25mm offset triple clamp. Best mod i did for sand tracks and fast riding Ohlins shock is a good choice also...
You should try the Neken 25mm offset triple clamp. Best mod i did for sand tracks and fast riding
Ohlins shock is a good choice also
Good luck!
25 mm offset
I was having massive dramas with my steering and haven't had a chance to fix it yet
I was assuming it was my 2010 forks with a set of ohlins insets that were either too short or too long causing the problem
What about the x trig system have you got much info on there performance mate
Cheers
2/1/2017 4:13pm
I would powdercoat the frame, mine has held up well. It might be cool to look into cerakote as well.
Slosh 112
2/2/2017 2:50am
Mate I'm in north QLD and have a hand an almost entire bike done through these guys. They are in Brisbane (south east QLD) so might cost a bit to get it to them http://www.agradeanodising.com.au

I would recommend Anodising over any type of surface coating any day. Looks schmick and its protects the aluminium, don't have to clean mating surfaces and clean threads out and its a lot easier to maintain over time, only stipulation is that you need to find out what sort of detergent you can use that won't attack the finish, can't go wrong with truck wash i reckon though.

Not sure if you've ever had to sand blast a bull bar or a dirt bike frame that has been powder coated once before but its about 3x harder than if it were painted and just like paint after a few years it will need re doing. Its only as good as the person thats doing it, I had my RM125 frame done in a simple bright white and its blowing out like its 3mm thick two pack. Powder coating here in Aus isn't like what it is in the states, we don't have umpteen shops doing it everywhere and basically all of them are industrial powdercoaters that are set up to do fences and bulbars or mine site and factory assemblies not stuff thats gotta look nice and cop a hiding from a dirt bike. Most places don't even have more than a basic colour chart with much more than a few shades of the main solid colours.

The Shop

benno387
2/2/2017 2:59am
Slosh 112 wrote:
Mate I'm in north QLD and have a hand an almost entire bike done through these guys. They are in Brisbane (south east QLD) so might...
Mate I'm in north QLD and have a hand an almost entire bike done through these guys. They are in Brisbane (south east QLD) so might cost a bit to get it to them http://www.agradeanodising.com.au

I would recommend Anodising over any type of surface coating any day. Looks schmick and its protects the aluminium, don't have to clean mating surfaces and clean threads out and its a lot easier to maintain over time, only stipulation is that you need to find out what sort of detergent you can use that won't attack the finish, can't go wrong with truck wash i reckon though.

Not sure if you've ever had to sand blast a bull bar or a dirt bike frame that has been powder coated once before but its about 3x harder than if it were painted and just like paint after a few years it will need re doing. Its only as good as the person thats doing it, I had my RM125 frame done in a simple bright white and its blowing out like its 3mm thick two pack. Powder coating here in Aus isn't like what it is in the states, we don't have umpteen shops doing it everywhere and basically all of them are industrial powdercoaters that are set up to do fences and bulbars or mine site and factory assemblies not stuff thats gotta look nice and cop a hiding from a dirt bike. Most places don't even have more than a basic colour chart with much more than a few shades of the main solid colours.
So you have had a frame anod have you mate
A lot of places are just saying it's too hard for them to do for whatever reason but I'm keen to do it if I can get it done
Cheers for the help will give them a call tomorrow
benno387
2/2/2017 3:05am
So got a few photos of the bike and components today
For a engine that has been cooked I was lucky
The stator wiring fried which is the reason the bike stopped
I did know I was cooking the bike when it happend but I had to get back to the road before she blew so I got it nearly there before it stopped haha
Also got a few parts in already and plent more to come

Slosh 112
2/2/2017 3:42pm
benno387 wrote:
So you have had a frame anod have you mate A lot of places are just saying it's too hard for them to do for whatever...
A lot of places are just saying it's too hard for them to do for whatever reason but I'm keen to do it if I can get it done
Not a frame yet, but basically every single aluminium part on an RM125 except the cylinder and swingarm.

A-Grade did the anodising on the NPE Monster Kawasaki Australia bikes, Frame Swing arm all that jazz...

benno387
2/2/2017 3:55pm
benno387 wrote:
So you have had a frame anod have you mate A lot of places are just saying it's too hard for them to do for whatever...
Slosh 112 wrote:
Not a frame yet, but basically every single aluminium part on an RM125 except the cylinder and swingarm. A-Grade did the anodising on the NPE Monster...
Not a frame yet, but basically every single aluminium part on an RM125 except the cylinder and swingarm.

A-Grade did the anodising on the NPE Monster Kawasaki Australia bikes, Frame Swing arm all that jazz...

Cheers mate onto them today to see what it's all going to cost me and figure out the freight
2/4/2017 7:19am
Hey mate I'll have to come and shake your hand in Alice. I'm from Broome and my Dad and I drive across every year to watch.
Good luck with the build it looks like it's going to be a good one!
benno387
2/4/2017 10:34pm
Spuder155 wrote:
Hey mate I'll have to come and shake your hand in Alice. I'm from Broome and my Dad and I drive across every year to watch...
Hey mate I'll have to come and shake your hand in Alice. I'm from Broome and my Dad and I drive across every year to watch.
Good luck with the build it looks like it's going to be a good one!
I will be around there mate come and say g day
Bike will be x46
benno387
2/4/2017 10:38pm
Small update
Spoke with the people slosh put me onto
Good deal to get the frame anodised
But I'm running out of time so going to give the frame a miss at this stage
Got a great idea from Elliot of here also in Aus doing his own soda blast job so the frame is pulled down and ready to be done
Also cleaning up all the machine marks on the triple clamps and the suspension linkages just to give it the extra look until I find or get a set of clamps
Nothing to serious but I have a little time up my sleeve so mite as well go the extra mile
This build is kind of a practice for builds in the future
I have a 2007 Cr 250 done next to nothing and still immaculate that I plan a bit of a build hopefully towards the end of the year

benno387
2/6/2017 12:33am
Couple more new parts arrived today
The exhaust is second hand but I'm not worried

bbtr_736
10/2/2018 9:51pm
Just wondering if you finished this build?
benno387
10/3/2018 4:05am
bbtr_736 wrote:
Just wondering if you finished this build?
I did mate will get some photos up of it all finished
benno387
10/3/2018 5:23am
Here is the bike ready to go at the finke desert race
benno387
10/3/2018 5:26am
Here is the bike ready to go at the finke desert race

benno387
10/3/2018 5:27am
I will get a few more photos over the weekend she has a bit of wear n tear now but
sean131
10/9/2018 8:21am
Which forks did you decide to run? Looks great!
benno387
10/11/2018 2:21pm
sean131 wrote:
Which forks did you decide to run? Looks great!
Went with a set of 2014 crf 250 forms so showa 48
They were set up by factory connections for a pro motocross rider and worked great but needed them set up a little different for desert so sent them over and got them and my ohlins shock set up
Great set up that’s for sure can’t hit anything and it’s like riding on a cloud

Post a reply to: 2015 Crf 450 Aus ground up rebuild

The Latest