2016 HRC Team Honda CRF450RW

mxav8r
12/9/2020 6:31pm
When I received the works shock I noticed the preload collar was really thrashed. Very obvious the previous owner had tried forcing it to turn. In the process pretty much destroying the collar. I have a new collar so that wasn't a worry but the condition of the threads under the collar was very worrisome! I was hoping it was simply jammed with dirt and the threads would be ok. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. After cutting off the collar (very carefully with a Dremel) I saw this:

New works collar and the old

So the plan is to use a thread file and do my best, with fingers crossed, to "repair" the threads. At LEAST to make the threads usable enough for the new collar. No matter what the threads will look like shit after, but hopefully covered up by the new collar and spring seat. Really sucks because the shock is in such nice condition otherwise.

I also did some graphic mods and replaced the white plastic with red. I believe this gives the bike a much better look! Will post more on exactly what I did to the graphics later.

How she looked before taking the shock back off to "fix" 😔

so close to done...

mxav8r
12/9/2020 6:42pm
Mike

what did the carbon fiber subframe weigh in at vs stock?

mike
Hi Mike, I have not yet weighed them but plan on to soon. Still need to get a scale 😁👍
mxb2
12/9/2020 6:51pm
mxav8r wrote:
When I received the works shock I noticed the preload collar was really thrashed. Very obvious the previous owner had tried forcing it to turn. In...
When I received the works shock I noticed the preload collar was really thrashed. Very obvious the previous owner had tried forcing it to turn. In the process pretty much destroying the collar. I have a new collar so that wasn't a worry but the condition of the threads under the collar was very worrisome! I was hoping it was simply jammed with dirt and the threads would be ok. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. After cutting off the collar (very carefully with a Dremel) I saw this:

New works collar and the old

So the plan is to use a thread file and do my best, with fingers crossed, to "repair" the threads. At LEAST to make the threads usable enough for the new collar. No matter what the threads will look like shit after, but hopefully covered up by the new collar and spring seat. Really sucks because the shock is in such nice condition otherwise.

I also did some graphic mods and replaced the white plastic with red. I believe this gives the bike a much better look! Will post more on exactly what I did to the graphics later.

How she looked before taking the shock back off to "fix" 😔

so close to done...

Looks badazz.
12/9/2020 6:58pm
That's a bummer and really unexpected on that beautiful works shock. I was also going to recommend a thread file and then thread on a steel collar carefully with some oil, make several passes up and down the shock. That should probably do it.

When I built by CRF450 to weigh as much as my CR250.. I weighed every oem part and the new lightweight part that replaced it. The titanium hardware was disappointing for what it cost.. even the titanium axles dropped little weight.

The 3 items that dropped the most weight in order of weight savings were; 1. titanium exhaust, 2. carbon fiber fuel tank, 3. titanium shock spring, 4. HRC titanium footpegs (scary light!).

mike

The Shop

mike23lee
12/9/2020 8:14pm
Awesome build, im in the process of something kind of similar but not as expensive... i came across mastercross website today. But im having trouble figuring out how to actually purchase the product thats listed? Any advice? Also do you know an employee or someone i can ask for specifically when i call that speaks english?
mxav8r
12/10/2020 1:01pm
mike23lee wrote:
Awesome build, im in the process of something kind of similar but not as expensive... i came across mastercross website today. But im having trouble figuring...
Awesome build, im in the process of something kind of similar but not as expensive... i came across mastercross website today. But im having trouble figuring out how to actually purchase the product thats listed? Any advice? Also do you know an employee or someone i can ask for specifically when i call that speaks english?
I believe on the Mastercross home page there is a link to purchase items. First select the UK 🇬🇧flag to make the site in english.

The link brings you to a page to fill out your contact info and what you would like to purchase. I have in the past simply copied then pasted the item description directly from the website.

Claudio is the owner and Tiziana is the lady that usually does all the communication/email since she speaks english (Claudio does too but not very well).

You will then get a email from them and go from there...

CAUTION: Know what you want and do your own research each on the part you’re purchasing. Sometimes the item pictured doesn’t match the item description. Just be specific in your emails on what you’re purchasing.

Overall, Claudio and Tiziana are good people.
jhansen510
Fantasy
3595th
12/10/2020 3:41pm
Not sure where the collar lands to get your sag set but have you thought about having a spacer made to keep collar above the damaged threads?
12/10/2020 3:56pm
Mike,

Did you see Claudio's instagram today? He bought one of Max Nagl's CRF450RW works bikes and was loading it into his van. Looked like your bike as it is the same year CRF450.
jerbert
12/10/2020 4:14pm
Mike, Did you see Claudio's instagram today? He bought one of Max Nagl's CRF450RW works bikes and was loading it into his van. Looked like your...
Mike,

Did you see Claudio's instagram today? He bought one of Max Nagl's CRF450RW works bikes and was loading it into his van. Looked like your bike as it is the same year CRF450.
What its the acount for view the Pic??
mxav8r
12/10/2020 7:01pm
jhansen510 wrote:
Not sure where the collar lands to get your sag set but have you thought about having a spacer made to keep collar above the damaged...
Not sure where the collar lands to get your sag set but have you thought about having a spacer made to keep collar above the damaged threads?
That is a great idea, hopefully it wont resort to that...But thank you!
mxav8r
12/10/2020 7:17pm
Mike, Did you see Claudio's instagram today? He bought one of Max Nagl's CRF450RW works bikes and was loading it into his van. Looked like your...
Mike,

Yes I saw that post from Claudio.

But I do believe, Mike, Claudio actually sold the bike. It's 2013 HRC CRF450R with the factory head and 2015-16 style right side exhaust.

I actually inquired about the bike awhile ago (about year or so I guess)...asking price was 40K Euro 🤯
I'm curious who the new owner is!!!

Also Mike, thanks for the great idea about maybe using a steel collar to help repair the threads after the thread file 👍

12/10/2020 8:36pm
Mike,

mxav8r wrote:
Yes I saw that post from Claudio. But I do believe, Mike, Claudio actually sold the bike. It's 2013 HRC CRF450R with the factory head and...
Yes I saw that post from Claudio.

But I do believe, Mike, Claudio actually sold the bike. It's 2013 HRC CRF450R with the factory head and 2015-16 style right side exhaust.

I actually inquired about the bike awhile ago (about year or so I guess)...asking price was 40K Euro 🤯
I'm curious who the new owner is!!!

Also Mike, thanks for the great idea about maybe using a steel collar to help repair the threads after the thread file 👍

Ah..ok, it was the 2013 he already had. I saw the exhaust and figured he was picking up a 2015/6 to add to his collection. 40k euro would be too much for that bike in my opinion. I wonder what get gets them for with his connections. I didn't get the plate number, but they loaded it into a nice, new Mercedes Benz van. He also has Frederic Bolley's 2000 championship winning RC250M in his collection.
mike23lee
12/11/2020 11:14am
mike23lee wrote:
Awesome build, im in the process of something kind of similar but not as expensive... i came across mastercross website today. But im having trouble figuring...
mxav8r wrote:
I believe on the Mastercross home page there is a link to purchase items. First select the UK 🇬🇧flag to make the site in english. The...
I believe on the Mastercross home page there is a link to purchase items. First select the UK 🇬🇧flag to make the site in english.

The link brings you to a page to fill out your contact info and what you would like to purchase. I have in the past simply copied then pasted the item description directly from the website.

Claudio is the owner and Tiziana is the lady that usually does all the communication/email since she speaks english (Claudio does too but not very well).

You will then get a email from them and go from there...

CAUTION: Know what you want and do your own research each on the part you’re purchasing. Sometimes the item pictured doesn’t match the item description. Just be specific in your emails on what you’re purchasing.

Overall, Claudio and Tiziana are good people.
Thanks alot! I got in touch and sent them all the links to the products i wanted. One last question, where did you buy that rear brake pedal? I was going to have a local fab guy weld me up a piece off the bacj so i can tap threads into it to have that bolt against the frame to prevent the master cylinder being over extended. But if i can find a brake pedal like yours that already has the piece to thread a bolt through that would be great!
jhansen510
Fantasy
3595th
12/11/2020 3:20pm
jhansen510 wrote:
Not sure where the collar lands to get your sag set but have you thought about having a spacer made to keep collar above the damaged...
mxav8r wrote:
That is a great idea, hopefully it wont resort to that...But thank you!
Absolutely! I know you will get it sorted. Top shelf job my man!
mxav8r
12/11/2020 6:07pm
mike23lee wrote:
Thanks alot! I got in touch and sent them all the links to the products i wanted. One last question, where did you buy that rear...
Thanks alot! I got in touch and sent them all the links to the products i wanted. One last question, where did you buy that rear brake pedal? I was going to have a local fab guy weld me up a piece off the bacj so i can tap threads into it to have that bolt against the frame to prevent the master cylinder being over extended. But if i can find a brake pedal like yours that already has the piece to thread a bolt through that would be great!
The rear brake pedal is a billet aluminum HRC works part. I bought it from Mastercross. Claudio doesn’t always have everything for sale listed on his sight. Not sure if he has anymore but it doesn't hurt to ask him. Hope that helps!
mxav8r
12/13/2020 10:30am Edited Date/Time 12/13/2020 11:11am
Success! After a lot of patience and careful work with the thread file (1.5 thread pitch) I successfully repaired the threads. The affected threads dont look perfect but were suitable enough to thread on the new works preload collar.

I carefully worked the collar over the damaged area using lots of anti-seize compound. It did require a little effort to screw on but once I went over the area a couple of times (cleaning the threads each time) the collar screwed on freely.

Another first for me was disassembling the shock. The process was actually easy but nerve racking as I didn’t want to screw up anything on the works shock. Along wIth the added pressure of leaving the shock in "as new condition". Once apart the beauty of the works components is amazing. Everything is either titanium or billet aluminum (besides the shims of course).

The piston, seal head, and shock body cap are billet aluminum. The baseplate, washer, spring and nut are titanium. Still need to take apart the shim stack (Ti nut is 21mm) along with the compression adjuster (which also looks to have titanium parts...)

Here are some pictures for now until complete disassembly

EDIT: although the parts of the works shock are the best the functionality/design is comparable to an A-Kit. Just the next little performance gain because of the quality.
12/13/2020 12:51pm
It is the works forks that differ a bit more than the works shocks compared to an A-kit or oem.
jhansen510
Fantasy
3595th
12/13/2020 5:41pm
That shock is gorgeous. Pumped you got the threads repaired well enough to make it work!
mxav8r
12/21/2020 8:02pm
Since the build is coming to a close (at least the “acquisition” of parts) I thought I’d make a list of everything on my bike. Under the “HRC/FACTORY SHOWA/…” header, every item listed is a “Works” part. A challenge of building a Works bike is that “works parts require work for them to work”. So sourcing every little part is the fun and stressful part of the process. I believe the list is complete and I hope I didn’t leave anything off. If any of you see something missing let me know!

HRC/FACTORY SHOWA/WORKS PARTS

FORKS:
Showa 49mm spring forks w/magnesium and titanium internals. DLC lowers, Nikisal lined uppers, CNC axle lugs
Titanium axle bolts
Holeshot device

FRONT WHEEL:
Front 22mm axle - steel
Front wheel spacers - front hub bearings ride on spacers. OD 25mm/ID 22mm
Front axle nut - aluminum
Front wheel hub - forged aluminum with CNC finish. Bearings ID 25mm. Bearing tube CNC’d aluminum
Front wheel spokes - single butted
Front wheel nipples - aluminum

FRONT BRAKE:
Nissin billet aluminum caliper - titanium pistons (27mm/30mm) and bleed screw
Aluminum banjo nut
Brake hanger - billet aluminum with titanium slider pins
Titanium front rotor bolts - bolts thread directly into works hub
Master cylinder
Brake lever - billet aluminum with titanium plunger “pusher”
Titanium master cylinder bar clamp bolts

TRIPLE CLAMPS:
Billet aluminum clamps - 20mm offset, 58mm upper and 59.3 lower ID
Billet aluminum handle bar clamps - rubber mounts and titanium post
Titanium stem - smaller OD than OEM
Standard rake bearing races - smaller ID than OEM
Upper and lower bearings - smaller than OEM
Upper and lower seals
Aluminum spanner nut
Aluminum headset nut
Titanium fork clamp bolts
Titanium bar clamp bolts

STEERING DAMPER:
Steering damper - billet aluminum and Kashima coated

HYDRAULIC CLUTCH:
Master cylinder (unbranded but most likely made by Nissin)
Slave cylinder - billet aluminum body and titanium piston, banjo bolt, and bleed screw
Slave cylinder mount - combined mount and case saver, billet aluminum
Hydraulic hose - with a fitting for pressure sensor
Aluminum banjo bolt - master cylinder
Clutch Lever - billet aluminum lever with titanium plunger “pusher” and pivot bolt, nut
Titanium master cylinder bar clamp bolts

ENGINE:
Magnesium ignition cover - uses a smaller oil filter compared to OEM and no inspection holes
Magnesium right engine cover
Magnesium water pump cover
Magnesium cam tensioner with titanium bolts
Kickstarter Knuckle - titanium
Billet aluminum front engine mounts
Shift lever - steel with rubber tip

SHOCK:
Showa billet aluminum shock - Kashima coating, DLC 18mm shaft. Titanium and billet aluminum internals
Spring - steel

LINKAGE:
Billet aluminum with HRC dimensions

SWINGARM PIVOT:
Titanium bolt
Aluminum nut

REAR BRAKE:
Master cylinder - no sight glass window
Clevis - billet aluminum with titanium pin - adjustable pedal free play via pin
Rear brake pedal - billet aluminum, titanium tip and a preventive pedal stop
Aluminum banjo nuts
Caliper slider pins - titanium

REAR WHEEL:
Hub - billet aluminum
Wheel spacers
Double butted spokes
Aluminum nipples

FOOTPEGS (on the way):
Footpegs - titanium
Brackets - titanium
Pins - titanium

CHAIN GUIDE (on the way):
Chain guide - billet aluminum and HRC design

SPOCKET:
Rear sprocket - Team Honda only part

FRONT SPOCKET GUARD:
Guard - billet aluminum

CLUTCH OUTER COVER:
Cover - Rekluse Team HRC issued (not currently installed)

AFTERMARKET PARTS:

Plastic - Acerbis and Cycra
Exhaust - Yoshimura RS-9 titanium and carbon fiber
Tires - Dunlop MX33
Rims - D.I.D LTX and STX (that’s the way the wheels came to me)
Rim locks - Dubya
Tubes - I forgot
Handlebars - Renthal Twinwall
Grips - Renthal
Throttle tube - Motion Pro
Master cylinder covers and Brake line holder - Honda “HRC” branded
Subframe/Airbox - CRM carbon fiber
Tank - CMT carbon fiber
Valve cover - CMT carbon fiber (just a shell that covers the OEM cover)
Graphics/Seat Cover - ThrottleJockey (slightly modified)
Chain - D.I.D ERT
Airfilter - Twinair
Front sprocket - Renthal
Rear axle blocks - Works Connection
Radiators - Fluidyne
Radiator hoses - CV4
Radiator cap - OEM Kawaski part
Engine vent - JCR engine vent kit w/Helix Racing blue vent line
Rear brake carrier - vintagehonda.nl custom made from billet aluminum (on the way)
Clutch outer cover - I don’t know who makes it but I got it from docwob
Skid plate - Cycra modified by me
Front brake rotor - Motostuff Team Honda spec 260mm
Fuel line vent - Moose Racing brass

NUTS AND BOLTS
Racetech titanium - complete titanium kit (incl. rear axle and nut) for a 2016 CRF450R. Some stuff was substituted for HRC titanium as listed above
OPP Racing - aluminum nuts (the “blue” ones on the bike)

HONDA OEM PARTS (complete list, I think…)
Engine - center cases, cylinder, cylinder head and all internals
Electronics/Fuel/Fuel injection
Frame - main frame and upper engine mounts
Swingarm
Seat base
Air filter cage
Air intake boot
12/21/2020 8:16pm
hmmmm. maybe not really finished.. if you are like me Smile . You always think of something new to do to it later on.
jhansen510
Fantasy
3595th
12/26/2020 11:09am
Hats off to you my friend. Absolute work of art. Would love to see it in person and hear it bark!
12/29/2020 5:02am
Very nice!
The vortex Ecu works very well on the 09-16 Honda’s if you still have money left over
matt.3150
1/3/2021 3:28pm
Here’s a picture of the majority of internal HRC engine parts
1/4/2021 1:38pm
matt.3150 wrote:
Here’s a picture of the majority of internal HRC engine parts [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/01/03/469810/s1200_B02CAE3C_8E19_4228_95AA_460F6474091D.jpg[/img]
That's awesome!

I also see the steering damper. Looks interesting!
mxav8r
1/4/2021 2:29pm
matt.3150 wrote:
Here’s a picture of the majority of internal HRC engine parts [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/01/03/469810/s1200_B02CAE3C_8E19_4228_95AA_460F6474091D.jpg[/img]
That's awesome Matt! I see you also have two of the special (smaller in height vs OEM) oil filters that the HRC magnesium cover requires. I'm still looking for one... Won't be able to get bike running until I find one. I would think the filter is simply sourced from another Honda machine but haven’t had any luck finding one. Matt do you think/know if the filters are actually "works" parts?
mxav8r
1/4/2021 3:04pm
hmmmm. maybe not really finished.. if you are like me Smile . You always think of something new to do to it later on.
Well Mike of course you are right! 😂

One part I always wanted but just didn't think I would be able to find/purchase was the carbon fiber fuel tank Team Honda, Geico Honda, and HRC Honda used at different times. Examples below:

Geico Honda 2017

Team Honda 2014

HRC Honda 2013 (they used silver caps)

Well due to the unfortunate demise of Geico Honda, I was able to purchase one of these beautiful tanks.
eBay seller: cm_offroad, instagram @cm.offroad has been tasked with selling off some of the Teams NOS and used parts. I lucked out and got the tank!

The tank (with titanium hardware) is still on its way but I wanted to share some pictures of the tank and let those interested know about cm_offroad

Yzfisl
1/4/2021 3:05pm
Amazing build, I have really enjoyed following it. If Matt would be good enough to send you the dimensions maybe you could contact someone like http://www.hiflofiltro.com/contact and see if they have something that is right.
mxav8r
1/4/2021 3:07pm
Geico 2017 (I don't think the photo uploaded above)

Post a reply to: 2016 HRC Team Honda CRF450RW

The Latest