2015/2016 HRC/Team Honda CRF450R

Related:
Create New Tag

4/25/2020 5:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/25/2020 7:24 AM

Hello all, I have been working/collecting for this build for awhile. My favorite Honda has always been the 2015/2016 HRC and USA Team Honda bikes. So this build will aesthetically be representative of both.

Photo

I would like to thank Vital member Tokyo_Tiddler for setting the standard when it comes to authentic HRC builds. My goal is to somewhat mirror the insanely exceptional job Mike (Tokyo_Tiddler) did on his bike. But my bike will be more influenced by personal choices.

|

4/25/2020 5:26 AM

My starting point is a gently used 2016 CRF450R

Photo

|

4/25/2020 5:31 AM

I completely disassembled the bike and used a combo of scotchbrite pads, fine grit sandpaper, billet polish, and Alumabrite on the frame.

Photo

|

4/25/2020 7:29 AM

HRC Honda

Photo

|

4/26/2020 8:06 AM

Engine mostly done and in the frame.

HRC parts:
Magnesium right clutch case and water pump
Magnesium left ignition cover (uses a much smaller, height, oil filter than OEM)
Magnesium cam chain adjuster
Titanium kickstarter knuckle
Billet aluminum w/Ti tip brake pedal
Billet aluminum front engine mounts
Martin Racing/HRC steel foot pegs and mounts
Steel shifter
Hydraulic clutch (wont be operational until I do the case mods at a later date)
Countershaft sprocket guard
Brake banjo bolt

Titanium nuts and bolts from RaceTech
Showa A kit shock
CMT carbon fiber tank, valve cover, shroud extender
vintagehonda.nl HRC brake clevis
CV4 hose

Photo

Photo

|

4/26/2020 8:57 AM

mxav8r wrote:

Engine mostly done and in the frame.

HRC parts:
Magnesium right clutch case and water pump
Magnesium left ignition cover (uses a much smaller, height, oil filter than OEM)
Magnesium cam chain adjuster
Titanium kickstarter knuckle
Billet aluminum w/Ti tip brake pedal
Billet aluminum front engine mounts
Martin Racing/HRC steel foot pegs and mounts
Steel shifter
Hydraulic clutch (wont be operational until I do the case mods at a later date)
Countershaft sprocket guard
Brake banjo bolt

Titanium nuts and bolts from RaceTech
Showa A kit shock
CMT carbon fiber tank, valve cover, shroud extender
vintagehonda.nl HRC brake clevis
CV4 hose

Photo

Photo

Sick build,. What made you choose cmt over crm tank? Price, quality? How was shipping process, days?

|

4/26/2020 5:41 PM

Thank you. I choose CMT mainly for looks. Gloss finish, flush fuel fill area, red fuel cap, etc.. And it was cheaper than CRM. Purchase through CMT website was easy and shipping was quick (bought pre COVID-19). I believe it took about a week or so to arrive from Italy.

|

4/26/2020 6:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/17/2020 7:33 AM

Need to get my HRC hubs laced up. Currently cleaning the spokes (HRC spokes, double butted). And waiting for correct front bearing tube (25mm). The works Showa HRC forks I have use a 22m axle with the bearings riding on the spacer (25mm ID). Stock is 20mm axle with bearings riding on the axle.

Photo

Photo
Photo

These hubs are HRC MXGP team style. The front is the same as USA Team Honda but the rear is totally different design (same material and manufacturing process). The front is dropped forged aluminum and then CNC'd to spec while the rear is made from billet aluminum. The rear also only takes one bearing on the drive side, OEM is two. Bearing spacing is also wider therefore the wheel spacers are shorter.

|

4/26/2020 6:34 PM

mxav8r wrote:

Thank you. I choose CMT mainly for looks. Gloss finish, flush fuel fill area, red fuel cap, etc.. And it was cheaper than CRM. Purchase through CMT website was easy and shipping was quick (bought pre COVID-19). I believe it took about a week or so to arrive from Italy.

Cool , thanks. Looks great. Did it include the gas cap tool?

|

4/26/2020 6:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/26/2020 6:51 PM

mxav8r wrote:

mxb2 wrote:

No problem. Yes it did. Not the best picture but gives you an idea of how it looks. One thing though... The upper tank mount that bolts to the frame. Its carbon fiber too and looks like its not perfectly straight. I did a test fit on the bike and did not notice any fitment issues. With the grommet inserted not really noticeable.
EDIT: Oops! you said "TOOL" not "Too" - No it did not come with a gas cap tool. But the cap is easy to use with just fingers.

Photo

|

4/26/2020 6:47 PM

Holy fuck dude... way to go and please show the entire build.

|

4/26/2020 6:57 PM

smv ryder wrote:

Holy fuck dude... way to go and please show the entire build.

LOL Thanks! Ok... yeah I'll also back up a little and post some more details about the individual parts and stuff. Also of course continue posting as the build progresses.

|

4/26/2020 7:01 PM

mxav8r wrote:

mxb2 wrote:

mxav8r wrote:

No problem. Yes it did. Not the best picture but gives you an idea of how it looks. One thing though... The upper tank mount that bolts to the frame. Its carbon fiber too and looks like its not perfectly straight. I did a test fit on the bike and did not notice any fitment issues. With the grommet inserted not really noticeable.
EDIT: Oops! you said "TOOL" not "Too" - No it did not come with a gas cap tool. But the cap is easy to use with just fingers.

Photo

Nice, thanks. Good info. . Love the build. . i did a et3 crf replica awhile ago. Your build lookin great.

|

4/26/2020 7:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/26/2020 7:10 PM

Amazing build. I loved my 2015 besides the forks, haha. Where did you get the forks and shock for this build? That shock is a work of art

|

Don't ever let facts get in the way of a great story

4/27/2020 1:55 AM

wow men! thats an increcible build...keep uploading photossmile

|

4/27/2020 4:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/17/2020 7:34 AM

hubbardmx50 wrote:

Amazing build. I loved my 2015 besides the forks, haha. Where did you get the forks and shock for this build? That shock is a work of art

Thank you. The shock is actually just a standard Showa A kit shock. It is in great condition and looks great. The forks are from an old Honda HRC MXGP race bike. Will post more pictures and details soon.

|

4/27/2020 4:30 PM

Works Nissin billet brake system. The pistons, bleed valve, and pad pin (pin is from Motostuff) in the caliper are titanium. The master cylinder lever (lever is machined billet aluminum) plunger is a very unusual style. Really unique. Never actually seen this setup before. Anybody have info?

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

5/1/2020 4:29 PM

Wow! Those were beautiful bikes. I really enjoy the comments about specific parts. Thanks for sharing.

How do you get those special parts? Just curious

Keep it up! smile

|

5/1/2020 6:00 PM

Thanks for the compliments everyone! I really appreciate you enjoying the build. I haven't been able to do much assembly as of late. Waiting on some new OEM parts (bearings, spacers, etc...) So I'll post some more picture of individual HRC parts and what I know about them.

HRC magnesium left cover and magnesium cam chain tensioner

Photo

Photo

Photo

The cam tensioner, besides being magnesium seems to be just like the OEM part. The cover is quite different than the OEM part. The oil filter area is much smaller than stock (in height). About half the size. I assume HRC sourced another OEM filter from a Honda machine. From which one is a mystery to me. Perhaps the filter is a works part too. I don't know. The benefit is also something I'm not sure about. Perhaps less oil pressure required for the engine to produce? The cover is also eliminates the inspection cover. My cover is new never used and that trick coating is in perfect shape. DOW coating I believe?

|

5/2/2020 10:19 AM

While I wait for some OEM parts to continue the build I decided to jump ahead a little and start some graphic application. The graphics are from Throttle Jockey and are beautifully made and fit perfect. Also I'll be using a black Throttle Jockey seat cover. Still need to get that done...

Photo

|

5/2/2020 11:05 AM

mxav8r wrote:

mxb2 wrote:

mxav8r wrote:

Photo

Hello my friend. My God, these factory suspensions are so beautiful. More pictures of them, please.
Congratulations on the project.

|

5/4/2020 6:41 PM

mxav8r wrote:

Thanks for the compliments everyone! I really appreciate you enjoying the build. I haven't been able to do much assembly as of late. Waiting on some new OEM parts (bearings, spacers, etc...) So I'll post some more picture of individual HRC parts and what I know about them.

HRC magnesium left cover and magnesium cam chain tensioner

Photo

Photo

Photo

The cam tensioner, besides being magnesium seems to be just like the OEM part. The cover is quite different than the OEM part. The oil filter area is much smaller than stock (in height). About half the size. I assume HRC sourced another OEM filter from a Honda machine. From which one is a mystery to me. Perhaps the filter is a works part too. I don't know. The benefit is also something I'm not sure about. Perhaps less oil pressure required for the engine to produce? The cover is also eliminates the inspection cover. My cover is new never used and that trick coating is in perfect shape. DOW coating I believe?

Hey mate awesome build. Could I ask how/where do you get magnesium covers from?

Cheers

|

5/5/2020 2:27 PM

bbtr_736 wrote:

Hey mate awesome build. Could I ask how/where do you get magnesium covers from?

Cheers

mastercross.net is a good place to look for special/rare parts. Also vintagehonda.nl has parts for sale. Both are a good reliable source.

|

5/5/2020 2:44 PM

My forks are Factory Showa Honda 49mm spring forks with magnesium caps and various titanium parts. 58mm/59.3mm are the required triple clamp size. Tokyo_Tiddler posted excellent information about his forks which are close to what I have (I believe a generation or two behind mine). I suggest you refer to his post for more detailed info.

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

5/6/2020 11:37 PM

wow those are sexy

|

5/10/2020 7:25 AM

amazin build and components, follow this post!!

|

Honda lovers
https://www.facebook.com/javier.navarroalgarra
Instagram: jerbert17
JAVIER05 discount code for https://extremecarbon.eu/

5/10/2020 10:05 AM

jerbert wrote:

amazin build and components, follow this post!!

Thank You! I will be posting updates soon. Waiting for OEM parts and some other stuff. Happy you all are enjoying the build.

|

5/10/2020 1:07 PM

Here are some detail pictures of the HRC brake pedal and front engine mounts. The HRC parts in general are amazing in quality. The attention to detail, the fabrication are just perfect.
Both the pedal and mounts (which are about twice as thick as the OEM part) are machined from aluminum. The tip of the pedal is made from titanium.

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

5/10/2020 1:12 PM

HRC kickstarter knuckle machined from billet titanium. Just a cool little piece of perfection 👌🏻👍

Photo

Photo

|

5/10/2020 1:46 PM

On the rear hub I'm using titanium bolts and I think blue aluminum nuts on the sprocket side (on the HRC hubs the brake disc bolts screw into the hub without the use of nuts). What do you think?

Photo

|