2014 RMZ 450

Related:
Create New Tag

6/1/2018 1:43 AM

Hi there,

Long time lurker, first time poster. After being out of riding for some years now due to school and studying I have finally made the dive. I purchased a clean 2014 RM Z 450 on the Facebook market place. It was actually advertised as a 2013 but the serial indicates its a 2014, obviously I never mentioned that to the guy that owned it. The front left fork was leaking oil very badly and the other fork was not much better, There is also a hole in the back swing arm which must be patched up and a crack in the airbox. Other than that the bike is very clean and runs quite smooth but I have decided to do a complete tear down and build it from the ground up. Im only 19 and have a summer job so this will be very much a budgeted build where I can.

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

This was what I originally wanted the bike to look like: Photo

But I have decided to go with the Autotrader instead:
Photo

I purchased the seat cover, the graphics kit and the hinson clutch cover off JGR.

For most of this I will be following tutorials on Cameron Niemela on youtube, you guys should check him out if you haven't already. If you guys have any tips/tricks or suggestions along the way I would be more than happy to hear them.

|

If Moses wont go to the Mountain,
The Mountain must go to Moses.

6/1/2018 12:32 PM

Good luck. I'll tune in and help if I can.

|

6/1/2018 2:23 PM

So after this post I ripped it apart. Didn’t take very long. I then left the main frame pieces and air box in a mixture of degreaser and water to soak for a few hours and then washed them down. So far I have run in to two problems. One previously mentioned was the crack in the swing arm and also now I have discovered that the chain gaurd had not been replaced in a previous life and the chain had eaten away at the swingarm. I have a fabricator in mind that will hopefully make a nice job of these for me. Pics attached Photo
Photo
Photo

|

6/1/2018 3:48 PM

Welcome.

These are very good bikes. Lots of parts available on ebay-

Keep fresh oil in her, should be good to go-

|

Current rides-
1988 RM250
2019 KX450

6/2/2018 7:03 AM

Somebody wasn’t very nice to the back swingarm bearings Photo

|

6/2/2018 7:14 AM

Have you considered buying a used swingarm off ebay?

|

If you're not mixing gas, you're not haulin ass.

6/2/2018 10:49 PM

keep it coming, i have a clapped 13 rmz450 ill be posting the build soon, already have the frame swingarm and subframe powdercoated

|

6/11/2018 2:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/11/2018 2:45 AM

Few small pieces done this weekend and also bought some pieces:

Rethal Medium Compound Grips, Chain Guide, Feeler Gauge and a Pro X Swingarm bearing kit.

Tore apart the kickstart and greased it up. As sweet as a nut now!

Bought a dremmel for €25 in Aldi. So far it seems to be working amazing but I wouldnt hold my breath with any tools from Aldi. It only came with one brass brush tool and I wore that out on the small section of engine that I polished. I have 50 stainless ones ordered off amazon. It worked very well though and is leaving a fantastic finish. The picture are not doing it justice.

Photo

I also started at the radiators, these are pretty beat but I'm determined to restore them to their former glory following this video :

Photo

|

6/12/2018 8:03 AM

Lots of goodies came today! But got stung with a nasty 75€ charge for the decals and seat cover from JGR!

Got the Ti bolts!
Photo

The decals and seat cover!
Photo

Also got 10 scotch brite pads so time to make a start on the frame!

|

6/19/2018 1:11 PM

43 Dremmel Bits later and here’s the engine blink Photo
Photo

|

6/26/2018 6:09 PM

Nice work, Laddy!

Psssst...I heard all the kool kids are riding RMZs these days.

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

7/2/2018 11:07 AM

I have an Showa A kit with pc clamps .. if you’re interested

|

7/9/2018 3:54 PM

Love my 14. I replaced the ssf with a set of kyb sss. Love this bike. Also make sure you run aftermarket clutch springs before riding. Big difference.

|

7/11/2018 12:12 AM

coastlinecascot wrote:

Love my 14. I replaced the ssf with a set of kyb sss. Love this bike. Also make sure you run aftermarket clutch springs before riding. Big difference.

howd you get the kyb sss on an rmz? i swapped the sff spring for the 12 showa 47mm twins. but i have a spare set of 08 yz450 forks kicking around

|

7/11/2018 8:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/11/2018 8:13 PM

coastlinecascot wrote:

adam8781 wrote:

howd you get the kyb sss on an rmz? i swapped the sff spring for the 12 showa 47mm twins. but i have a spare set of 08 yz450 forks kicking around

Billet lugs from technical touch $720!! Worth every cent. Also a 56mm a kit top clamp. I got lucky the 09 yz250f forks are the exact same length as the stock ssf. Some yz sss fork years are longer. Photo
Photo

|

7/11/2018 8:14 PM

Bikes dirty from a dusty day at elsinore

|

7/23/2018 5:09 PM

2014 Rmz 450s are great bikes
Any more updates?
This is mine Photo

|