2014 RMZ 450

Related:
Create New Tag

6/1/2018 1:43 AM

Hi there,

Long time lurker, first time poster. After being out of riding for some years now due to school and studying I have finally made the dive. I purchased a clean 2014 RM Z 450 on the Facebook market place. It was actually advertised as a 2013 but the serial indicates its a 2014, obviously I never mentioned that to the guy that owned it. The front left fork was leaking oil very badly and the other fork was not much better, There is also a hole in the back swing arm which must be patched up and a crack in the airbox. Other than that the bike is very clean and runs quite smooth but I have decided to do a complete tear down and build it from the ground up. Im only 19 and have a summer job so this will be very much a budgeted build where I can.

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

This was what I originally wanted the bike to look like: Photo

But I have decided to go with the Autotrader instead:
Photo

I purchased the seat cover, the graphics kit and the hinson clutch cover off JGR.

For most of this I will be following tutorials on Cameron Niemela on youtube, you guys should check him out if you haven't already. If you guys have any tips/tricks or suggestions along the way I would be more than happy to hear them.

|

If Moses wont go to the Mountain,
The Mountain must go to Moses.

6/1/2018 12:32 PM

Good luck. I'll tune in and help if I can.

|

6/1/2018 2:23 PM

So after this post I ripped it apart. Didn’t take very long. I then left the main frame pieces and air box in a mixture of degreaser and water to soak for a few hours and then washed them down. So far I have run in to two problems. One previously mentioned was the crack in the swing arm and also now I have discovered that the chain gaurd had not been replaced in a previous life and the chain had eaten away at the swingarm. I have a fabricator in mind that will hopefully make a nice job of these for me. Pics attached Photo
Photo
Photo

|

6/1/2018 3:48 PM

Welcome.

These are very good bikes. Lots of parts available on ebay-

Keep fresh oil in her, should be good to go-

|

Current rides-
1988 RM250
2021 GasGas MC450

6/2/2018 7:03 AM

Somebody wasn’t very nice to the back swingarm bearings Photo

|

6/2/2018 7:14 AM

Have you considered buying a used swingarm off ebay?

|

If you're not mixing gas, you're not haulin ass.

6/2/2018 10:49 PM

keep it coming, i have a clapped 13 rmz450 ill be posting the build soon, already have the frame swingarm and subframe powdercoated

|

6/11/2018 2:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/11/2018 2:45 AM

Few small pieces done this weekend and also bought some pieces:

Rethal Medium Compound Grips, Chain Guide, Feeler Gauge and a Pro X Swingarm bearing kit.

Tore apart the kickstart and greased it up. As sweet as a nut now!

Bought a dremmel for €25 in Aldi. So far it seems to be working amazing but I wouldnt hold my breath with any tools from Aldi. It only came with one brass brush tool and I wore that out on the small section of engine that I polished. I have 50 stainless ones ordered off amazon. It worked very well though and is leaving a fantastic finish. The picture are not doing it justice.

Photo

I also started at the radiators, these are pretty beat but I'm determined to restore them to their former glory following this video :

Photo

|

6/12/2018 8:03 AM

Lots of goodies came today! But got stung with a nasty 75€ charge for the decals and seat cover from JGR!

Got the Ti bolts!
Photo

The decals and seat cover!
Photo

Also got 10 scotch brite pads so time to make a start on the frame!

|

6/19/2018 1:11 PM

43 Dremmel Bits later and here’s the engine blink Photo
Photo

|

6/26/2018 6:09 PM

Nice work, Laddy!

Psssst...I heard all the kool kids are riding RMZs these days.

|

Nobody ever told me, I found out for myself. You've got to believe in foolish miracles. It's not how you play the game, it's if you win or lose. You can choose. Don't confuse. Win or lose. It's up to you!

7/2/2018 11:07 AM

I have an Showa A kit with pc clamps .. if you’re interested

|

7/9/2018 3:54 PM

Love my 14. I replaced the ssf with a set of kyb sss. Love this bike. Also make sure you run aftermarket clutch springs before riding. Big difference.

|

7/11/2018 12:12 AM

coastlinecascot wrote:

Love my 14. I replaced the ssf with a set of kyb sss. Love this bike. Also make sure you run aftermarket clutch springs before ...more

howd you get the kyb sss on an rmz? i swapped the sff spring for the 12 showa 47mm twins. but i have a spare set of 08 yz450 forks kicking around

|

7/11/2018 8:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/11/2018 8:13 PM

coastlinecascot wrote:

Love my 14. I replaced the ssf with a set of kyb sss. Love this bike. Also make sure you run aftermarket clutch springs before ...more

adam8781 wrote:

howd you get the kyb sss on an rmz? i swapped the sff spring for the 12 showa 47mm twins. but i have a spare set of 08 yz450 ...more

Billet lugs from technical touch $720!! Worth every cent. Also a 56mm a kit top clamp. I got lucky the 09 yz250f forks are the exact same length as the stock ssf. Some yz sss fork years are longer. Photo
Photo

|

7/11/2018 8:14 PM

Bikes dirty from a dusty day at elsinore

|

7/23/2018 5:09 PM

2014 Rmz 450s are great bikes
Any more updates?
This is mine Photo

|