2013 KTM 150 "SXS" Build (finished pics)

Related:
Create New Tag

2/21/2018 1:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/21/2018 1:27 AM

I have started to rebuild my 150SX after connecting rod broke last fall (You can read it from here).

I had previously removed Trax shock and SXS forks from the bike and put them on my 250SX and after that it has been sitting in my garage floor looking like this.

Photo

I managed to find used engine cases for a good price. They are previous generation cases with no place for starter motor but I don't need that anyway. I also got older style ignition cover to go along with the cases

Photo

Broken cylinder was repaired and ported by KJ

Photo

Photo

Complete Wrench Rabbit kit courtesy by Hot Rods to rebuild the bottom end

Photo

I matched the cylinder with the cases. There was really bad overhang on the rear transfer ports. I read on the online that it is there because same cases where used for 200SX and best way to fix the overhang is to fill the cap with epoxy. I decided to go for it. This is the the first time I'm trying something like this and I hope epoxy will stay on the cases

Before epoxy filling:

Photo

And after:

Photo

Photo

|

2/21/2018 1:38 AM

The frame is getting orange powder coat so I had to remove everything from it. Unfortunately coolant T-piece got some damage while I was removing it so I had to get new Samco T-piece from Ebay

Photo

Photo

Photo

All the bolt holes covered with old bolts the frame is ready for sand blasting

Photo

|

2/21/2018 3:57 AM

Would you trust that hot rods kit again?

|

2/21/2018 4:46 AM

CrGuy2T wrote:

Would you trust that hot rods kit again?

I have a stock crankshaft rebuilt with Wössner connecting rod for the engine.

|

7/6/2018 1:20 AM

It has been very slow progress on this build. I have been been busy with work and riding my 250SX but now I have summer vacation and finally some time to carry on this build.

I made 3D model of skid plate mounting tabs and had them laser cut from a 3 mm thick steel plate

Photo

Photo

The frame of the bike was sand blasted and skid plate mounting tabs a where added to the frame along with some extra welds on critical areas on the frame

Photo

Photo

Photo

After that the frame was powder coated with orange color and layer of clear coat

Photo

I did self made skid plate from a 6 mm thick ABS plastic sheet

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

7/6/2018 10:44 AM

Nice build JMX, I wish I would have went with an orange frame instead of silver on my build. Looking forward to seeing it come along.

|

7/24/2018 11:02 AM

Engine bottom end rebuilt with new bearings, seals and gaskets

Photo

Photo

Shifting mechanism parts in ultrasonic cleaner

Photo

Clutch assembled with new clutch plates

Photo

Bottom end completed

Photo

Cleaned power valve parts ready for assembly

Photo

Power valve assembled

Photo

Top end completed with brand new Vertex piston

Photo

Photo

Notice Kokusan 2K-3 stator and heavier flywheel from KTM 125 EXC

Photo

Photo

Because I have used older style engine cases without place for a starter motor I had to use older style magnesium ignition cover which I think is better design than the new plastic ones

Photo

Photo

Engine ready to go back in the frame

Photo

|

7/24/2018 11:19 AM

I found a good deal for a used PHDS bar mounts so I decided to use them on this build

Photo

Photo

I had to get Samco coolant T-piece to replace the original one which was destroyed while I was removing it

Photo

Photo

The engine and the frame united again

Photo

|

8/18/2018 9:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/18/2018 9:07 AM

Progress has been bit slow with this project lately because the crop harvesting season but I finally managed to get my radiators done. They are GPI radiators from eBay with added bracing for extra strength.

Corner support pieces ready for welding
Photo

Photo

Support piece welding completed
Photo

Radiators mounted back to frame
Photo

If u look carefully the last picture you can see that corner supports in left radiator are in different position than the ones in right side radiator. Welder made that that mistake and I was bit bummed about that. I also learnt my lesson and will do symmetrical corner support pieces next time...

|

8/19/2018 10:34 AM

How did you go about blasting and powder coating the VIN area?

|

8/19/2018 10:25 PM

T-Fish wrote:

How did you go about blasting and powder coating the VIN area?

Well that didn't go as I planned eitherangry

I applied some high temperature masking tape on top of the VIN number before I took the frame for sand blasting. I instructed that area where the tape was should not be blasted. The guy who did actual blasting did not apparently get the message and destroyed the VIN number in the process.

I tried to punch new VIN number back on the fame, but it turned out impossible task because KTM VIN is located on round head tube surface and I couldn't get it stamped with my tools. I think I'll just have to write VIN number to the frame with permanent marker pen

|

8/20/2018 3:14 AM

I had the same issue on the two bikes I went through. I’d have never guessed it was only stamped into the paint. That’s what makes me wonder how others go about it. I was able to recreate the VIN on mine with some craftiness, thankfully.

Photo
Photo

|

8/20/2018 3:27 AM

That looks nice! How did you do that if I may ask?

|

8/30/2018 10:21 PM

|

8/31/2018 10:37 AM

What difference does the flywheel weight make??

|

Now a member of the Orange brigade

8/31/2018 12:03 PM

Heavier flywheel gave a lot more rear wheel traction coming out of corners. At first I hated it because engine picked up revs a little slower. Once got accustomed it I noticed that I could open throttle a lot earlier in the corners and get better lap times I ended up liking it.

|

9/15/2018 9:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/15/2018 9:48 AM

It's slowly coming together

Carb went trough ultrasonic washer

Photo

Photo

Then it was time to rebuild suspension. I rebuilt my SXS front forks myself

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

9/15/2018 10:30 AM

I let RacePros do their magic with my Trax shock

Photo

I also got new CNC machined footpegs from Ebay

Photo

Photo

Linkage and swingarm bearings where in good shape so I ended up just cleaning and greasing them

Photo

Photo

Rear shock and linkage mounted.

Photo

Photo

|

9/16/2018 12:58 AM

I almost forgot to mention this. I had made some laser cut shims from 0.25 mm stainless steel to remove side to side play from the swingarm. I only needed one for each side and now it's nice and tight

Photo

Photo

|

9/16/2018 10:33 AM

How do you like that PC linkage? Do you think that it helps with cornering or traction more?

|

If it can't be fixed with a hammer, it's an electrical problem.

9/16/2018 11:36 AM

I like PC lingake alot. It definitely gives rear end more planted feel. I think KTM went with same stock linkage arm lenght in 2015 as the PC one I'm running

|

10/19/2018 8:24 AM

The build was once more on hold for a while because I made a trip across the pond to watch MXON at Red Bud but now I have time to carry on with the project.

Subframe was welded on places where plastic edges where starting wore through aluminum. After I smoothed out the welds it look almost like new

Photo

I cleaned surface rust from my BUD/HGS pipe

Photo

Photo

It's starting to look like a motocross bike again (ignore my messy garage)

Photo

Photo

|

10/23/2018 10:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/24/2018 9:05 AM

It's alive...

|

11/8/2018 11:52 PM

New front disc guard added and front fork bolts torqued

Photo

|

11/9/2018 2:15 AM

Plastic or carbon disc guard? I'll have to get one of those Acerbis guards for my YZF, they are really trick!

|

11/9/2018 3:00 AM

That is a plastic version. Carbon one would be cool but bit too expensive for me and I don't there is much difference in weight

|

11/20/2018 12:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/20/2018 12:54 PM

Next job in line was rebuilding the rear brake.

Brake piston and pads were in really bad shape and needed to be replaced

Photo

Photo

Photo

Brake pedal got new replacement tip

Photo

Rear brake mounted back on the bike with Fasst Company brake return spring kit

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

11/20/2018 1:45 PM

Nice rebuild!

|

12/2/2018 5:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/2/2018 6:59 AM

I installed some nylon mesh to protect the radiators from sand and small rocks

Photo

Photo

Photo

Sneak peek of the graphics.

Photo

Photo

I re-branded the bike to 150 SXS like KTM factory bikes back in early 2000's

Photo

|

12/2/2018 7:58 AM

Looks (and sounds) great! smile Sxs brings back some memories, those bikes were trick!

|

KX125