2012 YZ 125 freshen up

Darcy16
Edited Date/Time 9/17/2020 9:18pm

Hi guys, progress has been slow on my 96 build and I've been holding on to parts to tidy up my yz125 since last year so now seems like a good time to start working on it. I've been tossing up whether to keep the bike or sell it to fund the CR project so I'll tidy up the yz then make my decision once it's done.
The bike only has 68 hours from new and the top end was replaced at 65 so it'll be just a tidy up and grease all bearings.
Hardest part was making room in the shed to get the bike out to clean it but I spent some time with the pressure washer to get any dirt and dust off then some wheel cleaner and scotchbrite to clean the bottom of the bike.
This is the bike before

Then after a wash and on the stand in the shed.

Looks good from far but up close there's a lot of dirt and grease that was hidden under the plastics.
Hopefully I'll be able to get an hour or so most days after work and should finish it in a couple weeks.
|
15tc150
8/26/2020 6:32pm
Any plans for the freshening? Upgrades, graphics, plastics etc. I really want a yz125 project bike, so please keep posting progress.
Darcy16
8/27/2020 9:06am
It won't be a heap of upgrades, just replace whatever is worn, clean and polish and I've already got the plastics and graphics. Sticking with the older shape plastics instead of the restyle
15tc150
8/27/2020 9:11am
I have the utmost respect for keeping the original plastics, they look awesome to me, was gonna ask if you were gonna go with the flow and update, but screw that, I love the nostalgia of that generation of 2 strokes, the 04-07 cr250’s are by far one of the best looking bikes of all time, and the 06 yz’s with that slight design change front fender, is classic as can be, same with the 99-02 kx’s just timeless in my opinion. lol, I maaaaay even be planning to reverse style my 21 YZ250 lol, go back to the old school look.
Darcy16
8/28/2020 9:18am
I did think about updating for a while but I'm a big fan of the style and it's nice having something different.
I love the last CRs and I've got an 07 CRF I did up last year. I still think they're one of the best looking bike made.

The Shop

8/28/2020 10:33am
Darcy16 wrote:
It won't be a heap of upgrades, just replace whatever is worn, clean and polish and I've already got the plastics and graphics. Sticking with the...
It won't be a heap of upgrades, just replace whatever is worn, clean and polish and I've already got the plastics and graphics. Sticking with the older shape plastics instead of the restyle
Whenever someone restyles a twostroke, Mark Barnett throws an orphan into the sun.
15tc150
8/28/2020 11:03am
Darcy16 wrote:
It won't be a heap of upgrades, just replace whatever is worn, clean and polish and I've already got the plastics and graphics. Sticking with the...
Whenever someone restyles a twostroke, Mark Barnett throws an orphan into the sun.
I love your gusto Smile
Darcy16
9/2/2020 3:39am
Got some time over the weekend to start cleaning up parts. I've already got new plastics and graphics but thought I'd clean the old ones for spares.
Platics look better in the photos than they actually are.

Got the scotchbrite onto the frame and surprise, didn't go over the top but just got it looking tidy again.

The paint on the pipe is still in decent condition but I'm not sure if I want to strip it for the raw look like I did on my CR 125 or stay stock
Darcy16
9/7/2020 3:24am
Focus today was going over bearings and thankfully all of the bearings, seals and bolts were in good condition and still had grease. It's a nice change from the rusted/broken parts I'm used to working with.

One of my least favourite jobs is servicing needle bearings.

I spent a couple minutes cleaning up the linkage with some scotchbrite

Swingarm bearings were surprisingly good

Did some more cleaning in the frame and swingarm while it was apart

Gave the rear shock some time in the parts washer

None of the parts are cleaned up perfect but definitely looking a lot better than before.
I also decided to throw new rings since I had easy access to the motor.
Darcy16
9/11/2020 3:08pm Edited Date/Time 9/11/2020 3:09pm
Got a good deal on a barely used 280mm rotor, just need to find a caliper mount adapter.

Cleaned the airbox and used some plastic restorer to bring the shine back but it still has some rub marks so I might need to try the heat gun on it.
Always nice to see a freshly oiled filter too.

Sprockets were starting to show too much wear so they were replaced. I usually just go with steel sprockets an they last the longest.

Had some work to do cleaning behind the sprocket.
I also lubed cables, checked rear brake parts and clutch for wear and replaced the brake fluid at both ends. Next step is to throw the new plastics and graphics on.

Darcy16
9/17/2020 9:18pm

I didn't put on the fork guard stickers and they didn't fit the shape of the race Tech guards properly.
I also left off the tank graphics as I decided that I'll sell the bike so I'll probably put the stock plastics back on for the sale but this is what they were.

Post a reply to: 2012 YZ 125 freshen up

The Latest