2012 RMZ250

4/16/2018 10:19am Edited Date/Time 10/18/2018 6:55pm
My first post is going to be a project bike. I usually do two or three a year but I’m going to keep this bike and ride it for once. I usually end up selling the bike after completing.

I found a 2012 rmz250 from a kid for $2900. Claimed the bike had 15 original hours on it and after getting into the bike and cleaning the linkage and swingarm bearings it appeared he wasn’t lying!

Here is a pic of the first day I got this bike in the garage:

Sofar I am inspecting a Ron Hamp motor that was built for Ashton Hayes that I traded a friend of mine who bought the motor extra when he bought one of Ashton’s race bikes. The motor is a 2014+ with cams, DLC buckets, springs, Ti valves, porting, copper seats and guides, JE high compression piston, decked head, and polished crank along with polished transmission. I recently scored the PC clutch cover off eBay for $45

Other parts going on bike include new black tusk rims with new spokes and wider 2.15 rear rim, all black plastic except for yellow front fender, Fox podium shock, 13/50 gearing, brand new 2014 throttle body, Moto Tassinari air boot, two stroke filter cage, tusk bars and bar clamps, ARC clutch perch, ODi black grips, oversized front brake rotor, all black seat cover and Matrix Designs Graphics is supporting me for 2018 season

Some things I am looking to possibly do in the future would be..
Vortex ignition or Yoshimura Pmi2?? Not sure, depends if I decide to install a KTM throttle body then I will need the vortex ignition for sure. I’m going to run the stock throttle body for now.
Exhaust system?? Would be interested to see dyno runs with the FMF and Yoshimura. I’m leaning towards the Yoshimura system.
What the bike looks like right now as I’m waiting for funds lol gotta pay the bills!

|
mxb2
4/16/2018 10:30am
All that $$ in motor, parts,. Why skimp on cheaper wheelset. Sik build though. Did ltx stx, haan hubs. No brainer.
4/16/2018 10:32am
Other builds I have recently done...

2006 crf250r

2012 crf270r which is my Dads bike.

2004 Yz250f this one was a big project

4/16/2018 10:34am
mxb2 wrote:
All that $$ in motor, parts,. Why skimp on cheaper wheelset. Sik build though. Did ltx stx, haan hubs. No brainer.
The motor was an even trade for my stock motor since he was selling the bike he has anyways. I’ve laced up a lot of tusk wheels and have never seen any issues with them so I’ve been a believer in the tusk wheels for a few years now. But if I do happen to wreck these wheels then I’ll end up with the dirt star or A60 hoops for sure
4/16/2018 10:58am
The yoshimura I found work a the best since yoshi does alot of work with the Suzukis and Honda's, have my tried and fmf but me and my buddy both have 16 rmz250 and stock motors and I found mine with a yoshi to feel better down low and his with the fmf was more mid and top end but it's all by feel

The Shop

4/16/2018 11:14am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2018 11:15am
The yoshimura I found work a the best since yoshi does alot of work with the Suzukis and Honda's, have my tried and fmf but me...
The yoshimura I found work a the best since yoshi does alot of work with the Suzukis and Honda's, have my tried and fmf but me and my buddy both have 16 rmz250 and stock motors and I found mine with a yoshi to feel better down low and his with the fmf was more mid and top end but it's all by feel
You’re correct about Yoshimura and all the R&D work they do with the Suzuki at JGR so I can see why that would be pipe of choice, I think they just sound better also
mxb2
4/16/2018 11:20am
mxb2 wrote:
The motor was an even trade for my stock motor since he was selling the bike he has anyways. I’ve laced up a lot of tusk...
The motor was an even trade for my stock motor since he was selling the bike he has anyways. I’ve laced up a lot of tusk wheels and have never seen any issues with them so I’ve been a believer in the tusk wheels for a few years now. But if I do happen to wreck these wheels then I’ll end up with the dirt star or A60 hoops for sure
Sik man, and my rmz 450 i have used both fmf and yosh, with a vortex and a remap. Both good setups
Titane
4/17/2018 2:42am
If you’re looking for a Showa A kit fork .. I have one.
4/18/2018 5:25pm
Some more work on the rmz tonight. Not a whole lot done but got the motor back together and the rear wheel back on after getting the seized brake rotor bolts off. Can’t wait to get this thing together and running! Maybe one or two more weeks ?

5/1/2018 11:26am

Here is how the bike looks now. Still have a few things I want to do to it but for now this is an update.
It has a 2014 motor in it and I thingk the 2012 magneto is not picking up the 2014 flywheel so I’m going to get the 2014 magneto and hopefully it will start. Hopefully it will all work with the 2012 wire harness? I could always buy a 2014+ harness for it if I really need to..
8/8/2018 9:55pm
Bumping a old thread how is the RHC Rmz 250 motor?I'm planning on send my head to RHC for some work
8/9/2018 5:27am Edited Date/Time 8/9/2018 5:27am
Bumping a old thread how is the RHC Rmz 250 motor?I'm planning on send my head to RHC for some work
I love the motor. It has a lot of special parts that you’d see in a national built motor tho so I’m not sure what your budget is but this motor is awesome. I’m a local A rider at 6’8” 240 pounds and the motor pulls me around easy even with a stock ecu map. Runs great! I am running VP VPR fuel as well.
10/18/2018 6:55pm
Good to hear? Ive heard alot of good things about Ron hamp work

Post a reply to: 2012 RMZ250

The Latest