2008 RM250 - RC4 theme

Edited Date/Time 12/27/2017 5:20pm
Hi Folks,
I've enjoyed reading everyones builds and thought I'd run through mine which took over 2 years to get to this stage, in fact, it has taken up so much of my time I'm reluctant to get it dirty! Enjoyed every minute though Laughing

Day of arrival

In pretty good nick, 40 hours total

Went for a few rides and fell in love so decided to do what I do to most of my bikes: wheels, pipe and suspension. I was considering black rims but when I went to visit my local wheel guy he had a pair of 'Ricky Carmichael' yellow rims tucked away. "Been there for years waiting for you" he said. Well, I had to have them and I got the feeling this was just the start of an expensive journey.

I sent the suspension out to be Kashima coated with SKF seals etc, and after patiently waiting for two months I received everything back.

The Scalvini is just beautiful, I especially like how the expansion chamber is positioned lower than other pipes.

The nearly 4 month wait for the Talon hubs to arrive from the UK was well worth it.

Looking good, but....the forks didn't fit the clamps. They sent me RMZ forks, sigh, so I boxed them up and sent them back.

The wait was killing me so I grabbed my 150sx and took my frustration out on this berm Wink

Two months later the forks arrive. Yesssss

Went for a ride and had so much fun I was inspired to take this bike further....way further than anything I've done before.

Stripped it down and blasted the frame.

After some bad experiences with powder coat being too thick, I elected to rattle can spray the frame myself, actually turned out nice, and no holes were filled with thick powder.
Applied clamps installed also.

Hmm, needs a bit of a tidy up with a scotch brite pad and some wd40.

The cylinder was in great condition so I just threw in a new top end and added a few goodies to get things looking the part. Cleaned up the copper head washers and used new head nuts.
I made the carbon case saver myself out of a lightspeed frame guard.
I used Pro Bolt SS bolts for most of the engine.

Motor in with black anodised heads stays.
I glass bead blasted the brake pedal, came up really nicely.
Also installed Raptor KTM pegs with RM springs, as I believe, others have done.

After rolling it outside into the light, it became apparent that the radiators wouldn't cut the mustard, despite spending lots of time cleaning them with oxalic acid.

New OEM radiators. Wow these are nice compared to KTM (WP) radiators.

New airbox and filter, and cut about 2 inches off the length of the silencer.

I cleaned up the subframe with this sander bit on a drill.

After agonising for ages over what graphics to go with I decided to go with an old favourite...Ricky's Makita bike. I drove my graphics guy half mad with getting the the kit as close as possible to the original! Thanks Ringmaster.

I ordered a new seat and made a cut along the side and squirted some expanding foam in the gap to give a flatter seat.

Stayed tuned, more to come. Cheers.
|
JWACK
4/29/2017 8:55am
Wow! Very nice work. Lots of time spent.
romain524
4/29/2017 8:56am
This bike was in a really good condition when you picked it! That's a good start! With the factory suspension, wheels, VHM head, scalvini, ... it makes a really cool bike!

Have you an hinson clutch or it's only the cover? Is it a special dome you have on the VHM?

What do you think of the bike riding wise?

It makes me want to buy an RM250!

HackMan162
4/29/2017 1:54pm
Nice build. Quick question, slightly off topic...what/how did you cut the carbon fiber? I have a piece I need to trim, but don't want to F it up.

The Shop

4/29/2017 2:32pm
romain524 wrote:
This bike was in a really good condition when you picked it! That's a good start! With the factory suspension, wheels, VHM head, scalvini, ... it...
This bike was in a really good condition when you picked it! That's a good start! With the factory suspension, wheels, VHM head, scalvini, ... it makes a really cool bike!

Have you an hinson clutch or it's only the cover? Is it a special dome you have on the VHM?

What do you think of the bike riding wise?

It makes me want to buy an RM250!

Just the cover unfortunately, and the dome that came with vhm head. Clutch was in good nick.
I had a 95 RM 250 back in the day which used to shake it's head and try to throw me off, this RM doesn't do that, it's great to ride with plenty of torque.
4/29/2017 2:38pm
HackMan162 wrote:
Nice build. Quick question, slightly off topic...what/how did you cut the carbon fiber? I have a piece I need to trim, but don't want to F...
Nice build. Quick question, slightly off topic...what/how did you cut the carbon fiber? I have a piece I need to trim, but don't want to F it up.
I used a hack saw to get the rough shape and used a bench grinder to fine tune it which made a ton of black dust! urgh.
4/29/2017 2:51pm
kwenske321 wrote:
So sick! I love this bike!
Thanks Kyle!! I love your RM more! Wanna swap? Laughing
Your brother did a great job on your trans and you've got the Hinson basket. Very nice! Can't wait to see your blue triples installed. And well done going for original graphics, I chickened out of that route for fear of stuffing it up but you pulled it off well. And that tank! Woohoo
4/29/2017 3:05pm
I made this brake hose holder out of the lightspeed frame guard (which is looking like Swiss cheese now), and used aluminium pro-bolts. It weighs nothing!

4/29/2017 3:10pm
New Renthal twin walls and the Pro Taper throttle tube makes for a really smooth throttle. The Brembo master cylinder is from a 2014 KTM and felt much stronger with better feel over the stock Nissin.

4/29/2017 3:14pm
Kyle, this is one for you: I used a black RMZ rear brake hose holder on the swingarm.

4/29/2017 3:17pm
The spacers that came with the Talon hubs were bright silver so had them anodised black.

4/29/2017 3:43pm
Ordered an RMZ brake pedal clevis from Motostuff and tapped it out to M8, fits perfectly now.

While I was cutting threads, I noticed one of the breather hoses from the cylinder was pretty much redundant do I tapped an M6 thread and placed an aluminium bolt and got rid of the black hose. Much neater.

Titanium bolts for the rad valve Wink and new carby hoses.

Pro Bolt Ti for the front brake caliper.

Yellow Ti bolts for the rear brake disc, boy these are lightweight!

Motostuff drilled washers.

Pro bolt make this really neat billet aluminium oil filler plug.

More black bolts and nuts for the chain guide.

4/29/2017 3:53pm
Ordered RMZ axle blocks from Motostuff and then had to have a couple of sleeves made to fit the thinner axle.

For a perfect fit I need to machine down the left side to allow the axle to come through another 5mm. (Pic of the right side, RMZ blocks are thicker) Blink

4/29/2017 4:36pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2017 5:21pm
Just for something different, I cut the bottom of the tank off and had a local guy weld in a new bottom with flat black plastic and had the fuel tap repositioned. Of course the stock fuel hose wouldn't reach the higher tap so I ordered a longer KTM hose. After grinding and sanding his rough plastic welds for hours..Angry the final result is pretty good. It's great being able to see the cylinder head better with the shorter tank Cool

The silencer mount isn't the greatest, still working on that one.

Sadly there are a few wrinkles in the seat cover because it's an RMZ cover on a modified RM seat, I don't think an RM cover will fit after I raised up the middle. May need to go custom.
Because this is a new fuel tank and no fuel will be going in it, I had the graphics made without the vent holes for a neat finish.

It's a real shame that Suzuki seem to refuse to produce these fantastic bikes anymore, come on Suzuki wake up. Anyway this is how it sits today, waiting for the next update!

ledger
4/29/2017 6:48pm
Everything about your bike is top notch, the Scalvini is artwork. Props to you, awesome build.
4/29/2017 7:53pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2017 8:06pm
Thanks ledger. +1 for the Scalvini, would love to get one for the 150.
Looking forward to seeing what you do to your KX250 Smile
kwenske321
4/29/2017 8:58pm
Cooper 688 wrote:
Kyle, this is one for you: I used a black RMZ rear brake hose holder on the swingarm. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/04/29/191424/s1200_image.jpg[/img]
Kyle, this is one for you: I used a black RMZ rear brake hose holder on the swingarm.

NICE! I have been staring my white one down for a while now! What year RMZ fits?
kwenske321
4/29/2017 9:04pm
Hey Cooper,

Did you make the Carbon case saver too?
4/29/2017 9:26pm
Anything from the last few years should fit the swingarm. Get one!

Yeah cut it out from a Lightspeed frame guard that came from the previous owner. Got covered in carbon dust making that thing!
wsc96
Fantasy
474th
4/29/2017 10:31pm
Bike looks unbelievable. Sounds like you aren't going to ride it so I'm interested why you went to the trouble of modifying the seat? Or will you just never use that tank?
4/30/2017 12:54am
Cheers wsc.
I have rather long legs and I prefer a flat seat to ride with, plus a flatter seat gives the old RM a slightly more modern look. If I do ride this bike again, I have the original tank ready to go. The expanding foam from the can I used was messy to work with! It kept on expanding for at least 20mins which was more than I thought so it was a messy job. I wish I kept more photos. If I did it again I'd probably just go with an SDG tall seat.
4/30/2017 3:31am
Cooper 688 wrote:
Kyle, this is one for you: I used a black RMZ rear brake hose holder on the swingarm. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/04/29/191424/s1200_image.jpg[/img]

I've done this as well. Really cleans look up to white imo!
HackMan162
4/30/2017 7:18am
Cooper 688 wrote:
Cheers wsc. I have rather long legs and I prefer a flat seat to ride with, plus a flatter seat gives the old RM a slightly...
Cheers wsc.
I have rather long legs and I prefer a flat seat to ride with, plus a flatter seat gives the old RM a slightly more modern look. If I do ride this bike again, I have the original tank ready to go. The expanding foam from the can I used was messy to work with! It kept on expanding for at least 20mins which was more than I thought so it was a messy job. I wish I kept more photos. If I did it again I'd probably just go with an SDG tall seat.
I have both an SDG high seat and an OEM base with GUTS high foam and cover. IMHO, the SDG seat sucks compared to the OEM/Guts seat. SDG Is heavier, and the seat base has a lot of slop in it, so it feels old when brand new. You have to shim it tighter around the tank button to make it right
4/30/2017 7:34am
Hm right. My friend had an SDG seat and I remember the foam being very very hard and overall not the greatest quality as you noted.

Post a reply to: 2008 RM250 - RC4 theme

The Latest