2008 KTM 450 XC-F Grocery Getter

Edited Date/Time 1/10/2022 5:49pm
Last week I picked up a 2008 KTM 450 XC-F that the owner proclaimed would run, but had a bad habit of smoking when it ran. He said that the previous person agreed to but it, road it down the rode and it came back smoking oil, so he bailed and it sat for 2.5 years. I scored this for $900. The plan is to get it street legal here in TX and keep a spare set of wheels so it can still be ridden as a buddy bike.

Here is what it looked like when i picked it up:

Here's how it looked mid way through the tear down:

The throttle cables were held together with a zip tie and hope:

This thing was covered in oil; the counter shaft seal failed, the valve cover seal failed, and somewhere along the lines I think that crush washer failed due to the impression it had.

I've got the valve cover off and found a bit of a mechanical milkshake in here:

To continue my progress, I need to go to the hardware store and fin a bolt that matches the thread in the crankshaft that locks it in TDC. KTM used to sell the tool that did that (P/N 77329010000) but it looks like it's been discontinued, so a trip to ACE is in order, but I think I might need to grind down the edges to get it to thread properly.
|
FarleyMX25
12/19/2021 7:05pm
Is it just me or do none of the pictures show up? All I see is a box that says photo.
183Matt
Fantasy
1401st
12/19/2021 8:58pm
FarleyMX25 wrote:
Is it just me or do none of the pictures show up? All I see is a box that says photo.
Pics show up for me.

Sea Class, how you liking Texas? And sweet score on the KTM.
450exc115
12/20/2021 7:01am
I still have my 09 KTM 450 XC-F that I bought new in 09. Raced it from 09-11 and street plated it to race some enduros here in the north east for the 2012/13 season. Great forks with the TC bladder forks and the revised PDS in the 09+ chassis was a ton better than the 98-07 setup.

For DS I recommend doing a radiator fan and get the biggest LIPO battery you can stuff in the battery/airbox. trailtech also makes a higher capacity stator since the stock is I think 30 or 50 watts.

Besides the leaks the most likely culprit for oil consumption is a set of rings beyond spec. The bores of the cylinder are so hard they wear the rings out in about 60-80hrs depending on how hard they were run. Good news is typically you can get away with just a ring swap. If you really need to do a piston and rings have someone measure the cylinder as Woosner sells a bunch of size pistons for it to get fit right.

Nice score...
12/20/2021 7:53am
183Matt wrote:
Pics show up for me.

Sea Class, how you liking Texas? And sweet score on the KTM.
Thanks Matt! Moving here to TX was probably the single biggest improvement to my mental health that I’ve made in years. My fiancée and I absolutely love it here and it already feels like home.

I absolutely miss some aspects of CA, but nowhere is perfect!

The Shop

12/20/2021 7:56am
450exc115 wrote:
I still have my 09 KTM 450 XC-F that I bought new in 09. Raced it from 09-11 and street plated it to race some enduros...
I still have my 09 KTM 450 XC-F that I bought new in 09. Raced it from 09-11 and street plated it to race some enduros here in the north east for the 2012/13 season. Great forks with the TC bladder forks and the revised PDS in the 09+ chassis was a ton better than the 98-07 setup.

For DS I recommend doing a radiator fan and get the biggest LIPO battery you can stuff in the battery/airbox. trailtech also makes a higher capacity stator since the stock is I think 30 or 50 watts.

Besides the leaks the most likely culprit for oil consumption is a set of rings beyond spec. The bores of the cylinder are so hard they wear the rings out in about 60-80hrs depending on how hard they were run. Good news is typically you can get away with just a ring swap. If you really need to do a piston and rings have someone measure the cylinder as Woosner sells a bunch of size pistons for it to get fit right.

Nice score...
Wow, thanks man that is some great information! I can’t seem to find anywhere that sells the Wössners, and I’m really a big fan of their craftsmanship (I put one in my 2016).

I also find it odd that the only way I can get a quality piston from Vertex is to put the SX-F version into their model finder. Would you have a strong preference of cast vs forged in this instance? I’m leaning cast right now
450exc115
12/20/2021 9:58am
That doesn't striker me as odd. The 08/09 XCFs were a model that didn't catch on. Basically the SX-F motor with 5 speed, 18" rear wheel and more XC/GNCC setup suspension. Everyone was buying the 450 XC-W and EXC which those motors turned out to be big turds that self destructed. The SX-F ran from 07-12 when the 2012 1/2 factory replica came out with a new motor and linkage frame that became the norm in 2013. I like the snappiness of the SXF motor for dealing with New England trail obstacles (rocks, roots and logs) as it made lightening the front end easy to get over them. I also preferred the close ratio gear box of the XCF to the W as that stupid gap between 1 and 2 also seemed to be the sweet spot for trail speed on this side of the continent. You could gear the Ws down but then 1st was useless.

I had to check my notes but back in 2012 I had Dave Hopkins in WA go through my head and hone the cylinder for a slightly larger Wossners piston at roughly 120 hrs. I don't see a part number on the invoice from Dave and I'm not sure if Dave is still doing this work but you can check over on KTMtalk to see if he is still around.

I built my bike to race NETRA here in the north east for the A open class so I spared no expense. Here is what I remember. lol
Carb - started with JD jetting kit and Oring Mod but ultimately ended with the R&D Powerbowl 2.
Motor - Power parts High flow water pump, reklus clutch, Trailtech flywheel and stator, dirt tricks cam chain tensioner, and shimmed oil pump mod. FMF SS powerbomb exhaust mated to a FMF Q4 exhaust
Chassis - normal rock guards for the north east; skid plate, rear brake fin, bullet proof chain guide guard, fluidine radiators with BPD machined guards and hi pressure cap, EE tall seat, IMS pegs, and Cyra hand guards. Maier made a wider bolt on rear mudflap that is really good to keep the goo off too and has enough surface for a license plate mount.
Suspension - Sprung for my weight and valved for our terrain with some settings I developed over many years of racing here in the north east. I did put racetech gold valves in the forks which really made them more responsive than I could ever get out of the stock fork valves even when modded.

I still have a decent stash of parts for it if you get into a bind. Clutch/water pump cases, stator cover, radiators, stock exhaust and various other parts (KTM rod kit too).

Since I "retired" in 2013 and then started vintage racing I've been slowly going through it to DS around town myself with the occasional turkey run if I can find the time. The plan is the Tusk fan and lighting kit and some DOT tires. Swap out the brake pads for some carbon ones and may be decrease the sprocket size in the back a tooth or two. I'm contemplating a key setup or hidden switch for the ignition but it all depends how much I ride it.

He is a picture from this summer just after I went through the bottom end with new oil pumps, main bearings/seals as I had to swap out the cases due to two of the head/cylinder bolts pulling out threads when riding with no coolant in an enduro back in 2014.

450exc115
12/20/2021 10:11am
450exc115 wrote:
I still have my 09 KTM 450 XC-F that I bought new in 09. Raced it from 09-11 and street plated it to race some enduros...

Nice score...
Wow, thanks man that is some great information! I can’t seem to find anywhere that sells the Wössners, and I’m really a big fan of their...
Wow, thanks man that is some great information! I can’t seem to find anywhere that sells the Wössners, and I’m really a big fan of their craftsmanship (I put one in my 2016).

I also find it odd that the only way I can get a quality piston from Vertex is to put the SX-F version into their model finder. Would you have a strong preference of cast vs forged in this instance? I’m leaning cast right now
I'm a cast piston person. IMO forged is for full moto with a short duration between teardowns. Cast tend to last longer and the machinist can keep the bore a little tighter. All the vintage air cooled bikes I've had to use Wiseco pistons due to availability sound louder than when they had a cast piston in it. It sounds silly but having built about 6 bikes now I can tell the difference. A loose air cooled 2 stroke with an end of life Wiseco sounds like a bag of rocks rolling around in a cement mixer.

Vertex do make quality pistons if you can't find a Woosner.
12/30/2021 5:33pm
Got a little bit done since my last update; sent my forks back to CA to have a close friend's dad rebuild them. He swears he has the secret sauce for these forks, so I'm excited to see what he can't do. Cleaned years of dirt and oil off of them, and I think they look much nicer now

Yanked the drain screen filter out and didn't exactly find the best of news; I confirmed that the head gasket has been smoked as I found bits and pieces of it in the filter, but I sadly also found some metal bits. i'm hoping that it's just engine degradation over time as the oil was thicker than syrup and didn't contain any coolant.

1/4/2022 8:01pm
I've made an engine stand using the new drill I got for chiristmas; I'm not confident in my feeler gauge set and ordered one that has smaller increments within the 0.00 to 1.00mm range. Found a bolt at ACE and locked the crank into TDC.

When my new set of feelers comes I will measure valve lash and then tear the top end down to give you guys a better look

seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
1/7/2022 9:49am
"Mechanical milkshake" Grinning What a fun project to start off dropping 900 bones. I'm back to a point where I want something cheap/roached to rebuild just for fun soon. Enjoy!
YZed250
1/10/2022 2:47pm
Definitely split the bottom end before you order any parts, unless you're willing to spend $7k on a 'spare bike'. These motors had issues, Chris Blais and a few others know them well, but I've never owned one.
1/10/2022 5:49pm
Took the cylinder head off tonight, went together much more smoothly than I had thought. Found that she's still on the original Elko piston, didn't take any pictures but the valves were in great condition.

1/10/2022 7:36pm
Told myself I was done working on the engine tonight but I got bored watching the natty; here is the piston and they cylinder. It looks like the coating is wearing off so I think I'm going to order a freshie. Cross-hatching at the base looks good but I think it needs a quick ball-hone before I button her up.

450exc115
1/10/2022 8:10pm
It's definitely got some time on it from the pictures. Never ball hone a nickesil cylinder. Scotch brite in a soapy water bath and worst case a nylon brush in a power drill. Even a 20% muratic acid solution works to remove the aluminum deposited in the hard coating. If you ball hone it you'll remove its ability to hold oil and it will wear out even faster. After you clean it WD-40 and clean rags till you stop seeing crap come off the cylinder.
1/10/2022 8:25pm
450exc115 wrote:
It's definitely got some time on it from the pictures. Never ball hone a nickesil cylinder. Scotch brite in a soapy water bath and worst case...
It's definitely got some time on it from the pictures. Never ball hone a nickesil cylinder. Scotch brite in a soapy water bath and worst case a nylon brush in a power drill. Even a 20% muratic acid solution works to remove the aluminum deposited in the hard coating. If you ball hone it you'll remove its ability to hold oil and it will wear out even faster. After you clean it WD-40 and clean rags till you stop seeing crap come off the cylinder.
That's great to know, thanks man! I think I'm going to order a Vertex for it. The part only fits the 'SX-F' model for 2008 in Rocky; but the OEM piston is the same for both the SX-F and XC-F, so I think I should be good.
450exc115
1/11/2022 8:19am
The 07-12 SXF is the same motor as the 08-09 XCF just the XCF got a 5 speed transmission so the vertex piston will work. Does the vertex come in difference sizes? Typically you can get the right class of piston (measured to the .0001") for it, to do that have a shop measure the cylinder (after cleaning) and then match it to the clearance defined in the manual. I just did this for my 88 Cagiva WMX 250 motor were the spec calls for .004"-.008" clearance between the cylinder and piston (70mm bore), I'm right at .005 with the -3 piston I bought (also known as a class C).

I also strongly suggest you replace the 3 oil pumps in the motor. They are plastic (get hard and brittle with heat/time) and for under a 100 bucks will give you piece of mind, there was also a shimming trick on the pump under the shift shaft to increase the pressure some as the early years had weaker bypass springs. The dirt tricks manual cam chain tensioner is another must do for 2 reasons. The oem uses oil pressure to keep cam chain tension so at lower RPMs you get less pressure on the chain tensioner. You also block off that oil port which puts more oil to the head for the valves and cams for a double win. It's less than $200 for both those mods but well worth it to keep the motor going for many years to come. I did them right away on mine and the internals looked awesome at 150hrs racing the bike off road in the expert class and the valves stayed in spec since day 1.
YZed250
1/11/2022 8:43am
450exc115 wrote:
The 07-12 SXF is the same motor as the 08-09 XCF just the XCF got a 5 speed transmission so the vertex piston will work. Does...
The 07-12 SXF is the same motor as the 08-09 XCF just the XCF got a 5 speed transmission so the vertex piston will work. Does the vertex come in difference sizes? Typically you can get the right class of piston (measured to the .0001") for it, to do that have a shop measure the cylinder (after cleaning) and then match it to the clearance defined in the manual. I just did this for my 88 Cagiva WMX 250 motor were the spec calls for .004"-.008" clearance between the cylinder and piston (70mm bore), I'm right at .005 with the -3 piston I bought (also known as a class C).

I also strongly suggest you replace the 3 oil pumps in the motor. They are plastic (get hard and brittle with heat/time) and for under a 100 bucks will give you piece of mind, there was also a shimming trick on the pump under the shift shaft to increase the pressure some as the early years had weaker bypass springs. The dirt tricks manual cam chain tensioner is another must do for 2 reasons. The oem uses oil pressure to keep cam chain tension so at lower RPMs you get less pressure on the chain tensioner. You also block off that oil port which puts more oil to the head for the valves and cams for a double win. It's less than $200 for both those mods but well worth it to keep the motor going for many years to come. I did them right away on mine and the internals looked awesome at 150hrs racing the bike off road in the expert class and the valves stayed in spec since day 1.
Great tips!
When I was looking at buying a blown 2008 450XCW, I think remember reading about a mod where they changed the oiling system to link up the two case halves ... don't remember exactly but I recall that some of these motors had lubrication issues.

Definitely worth jetting all your oil passages, while you can.

A trick I learned from my current-gen KTM was to always check oil pressure at the cam jets by e-start, before you close the valve cover.

When I used to work on 5-valve Yamahas, they would always recommend checking the oil pressure at one of the external oil line banjo bolts, but I don't see too many references to that in KTM manuals except for an external pressure gauge you're supposed to connect to the cam chain tensioner. Always seemed like there must be a better way. Best of luck with the build and fully-assessing the bottom-end.
450exc115
1/11/2022 9:10am
The XCW is a different motor than the XCF/SXF. It was a dual sump and a POS. Many of those grenaded when all the oil went from the pressure sump to the transmission sump and starved the crank/cam/head.

These motors were fairly good for power and durability, they often won the overall power tests in the mags from when it was first introduced in 07. If you do find that you do a lot more road riding than dirt you may (long term) invest in a cush hub for the rear wheel setup as pavement can be murder on transmissions and clutches.
1/12/2022 8:07pm
Piston is out, 2 of the cylinder head studs were somehow rusty and rough? Never seen this before and not sure whether or not to replace them.

Ever so slight side to side play in the con rod, but no radial play whatsoever. Feels tight enough to me; don't think I will be splitting these cases.

1/19/2022 6:10pm
(Very) Slowly but surely making progress; I've inspected the cylinder and I think the Nikasil looks okay. It measures 96.71mm wide at the top of the cylinder and 96.74mm at the bottom of the cylinder, which looks to be in spec. It is a #1 cylinder for the 450 option.

There's definitely wear, but absolutely smooth as a baby's bottom. I'm going to hit it lightly with some WD-40 and a green scotch brite in a criss cross pattern right before assembly.

The carb on the other hand, was disgusting. Somebody must have ran without an air filter or something to that accord, as the mud/grime at the bottom of the float bowl was disgusting.

It appeared to be running a:
185 main
85 Cold Jet
OBDTR needle (5th position from the top, stock is 4th)
The idle air jet broke off in there and I need to go get it out.

YZed250
1/21/2022 2:17pm
Any cross hatch left in the cylinder? The dirty carb and 'smooth' cylinder indicate it got dusted, maybe?

Yamalube make a nice carb dip that is really good at removing ethanol varnish. Not sure if Motorex/KTM has something similar ...
6/10/2022 3:25pm
Finally planning on getting this thing back together; piston just showed up today but now I realize I forgot to order the plastic oil pumps to replace

6/10/2022 3:37pm
450exc115 wrote:
The 07-12 SXF is the same motor as the 08-09 XCF just the XCF got a 5 speed transmission so the vertex piston will work. Does...

When you refer to the 3 oil pumps, I know that there are 2 on the oil pump shaft (Part # 77338107100) but I am not finding where the 3rd one is. Would you mind explaining that to me?

450exc115
6/10/2022 7:45pm
Your picture shows three. Two suction and one pressure. Those are the three I replaced.
6/11/2022 6:28am Edited Date/Time 6/11/2022 6:32am
450exc115 wrote:
Your picture shows three. Two suction and one pressure. Those are the three I replaced.
Ah, I see what you mean now. Part # 77338207100 was the one I couldn't figure out, thanks man!

In the service manual, they referred to it as as the 'force pump' and that's why I could never figure out the circuit, so this is making a lot of sense.

It looks like i don't even have to split the cases to do it so I think these 3 are my next rocky order.
1/26/2023 5:28pm

Well, did not expect this project to take nearly a year but hey, here we are.  Home ownership and life can get in the way like that.

Some updates; clutch cover and water pump cover primed and painted. I will take an orange paint pen to the RF4 and KTM logos; neat little thing I've done in the past. Doesn't last long but it looks great.

However, when I went to prep the clutch case for paint; I found what I thought was a terribly done JB Weld underneath the water pump, so I started cleaning out years of oil and dirt from underneath. 

This lead to me finding a hole, that very obviously looks like it came from the factory.  Can anybody explain what this is? It is EXACTLY the width of a 3/32 drill bit and I can not find any information in the service manual nor the OEM Microfiche at RockyMountain.

450exc115
1/26/2023 8:07pm

It's a hole that leads to the back side of the water pump seal.  If the seal fails you'll have water or oil dripping out of it.  They borrowed this trick from the automotive industry.

Since I raced one of these for a few years and still have mine, I have quite the pile of parts if you find your self in a jam. Normal stuff like covers, stator, radiators, connecting rod kit, etc.  

1/26/2023 9:30pm
450exc115 wrote:
It's a hole that leads to the back side of the water pump seal.  If the seal fails you'll have water or oil dripping out of...

It's a hole that leads to the back side of the water pump seal.  If the seal fails you'll have water or oil dripping out of it.  They borrowed this trick from the automotive industry.

Since I raced one of these for a few years and still have mine, I have quite the pile of parts if you find your self in a jam. Normal stuff like covers, stator, radiators, connecting rod kit, etc.  

Man, I might have to PM you.  I have so many questions about this bike and I'll definitely probably need a part or two lol

1/27/2023 2:51pm

This will last about 5 minutes off road but what the hell, it looks cool. Will need a second coat but I’m digging how it looks.

C090A44D-D794-45E0-81DC-120D134AF705

Post a reply to: 2008 KTM 450 XC-F Grocery Getter

The Latest