2007 rm125 done? Crashed

wydopen
2/15/2022 10:17am
Arln.rm125 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/02/15/533644/s1200_A5F12F8A_3414_482F_ACCA_73259E327760.jpg[/img] Wired it up overnight, also got the radiators on and rad hoses cut to length. Also got some ktm footpegs mounted up with some mods...

Wired it up overnight, also got the radiators on and rad hoses cut to length. Also got some ktm footpegs mounted up with some mods. They fit perfect with absolutely zero play. I also arlon wrapped the wiring harness before putting it in. I didn’t want to de pin it and slide over sheathing. Arlon makes this stuff that’s kinda like electrical tape but also not. It goes on like electrical tape but doesn’t have adhesive so it doesn’t peal. You stretch it and do a 50% overlay for each wrap and it sticks to itself. Stuff holds on strong and works much better then electrical tape. I’m sure aviation guys know exactly what I’m talking about. Eventually I’ll do a custom harness with some nice lightweight wires. As these stock suzuki harnesses aren’t the best

Love this angle of the bike
If those are eBay/Amazon pegs be careful. I put some on my RM and they broke first moto.
Arln.rm125
2/15/2022 1:22pm
wydopen wrote:
If those are eBay/Amazon pegs be careful. I put some on my RM and they broke first moto.
Appreciate the heads up man, nah they aren’t the eBay pegs. eBay parts sketch me out. I’ve had a few friends run these and they hold up decent apparently. They can snap if dropped weirdly I just wanted to give them a try
Arln.rm125
2/20/2022 6:44am

I ended up designing a front brake line guide with my number in it, and kill switch cover in fusion 360. Spliced in cura, then 3D printed on a stock ender 3 v2. Quite happy with it all

I also got on the billet ride engineering v2 front caliper and core moto line. Huge thanks to the user Rider 5280 for the great deal on the caliper! I’m trying a refreshed rm MC for now but will probably swap over to a crf sooner or later

I also finished up the swing arm and test fit the rear wheel. Swingarm is far from perfect but much better then what it was. Also please ignore the messy garage in the backround of photos. Working in a pretty small space for now. Hopefully that will change in the next 6 months or so
Arln.rm125
2/20/2022 6:47am
I was trying to get the shock together and bled and ended up failing at that. So Monday more fluid and a bleed cup show up so I can get that done. Hopefully next weekend ill be able to go break it in

The Shop

Arln.rm125
3/2/2022 9:10pm
Hey guys it’s been a while, I’ve been pretty inactive on here. I got some updates on the bike though. She’s 95% together and ran. Doesn’t right now sadly. It ended up eating part of the carb boot and I found it in the plug (refer to photo below). So I’ll be replacing the carb boot. Someone did some sketchy work to it and it’s all dry rotted. Don’t know why I didn’t catch it when originally rebuilding everything. Anyway I pulled off the head to inspect the cylinder and everything looks good.

I also dealt with the coil pickup backing itself off. Lost spark and it destroyed itself. Messed up the flywheel even more too. So I’ll be picking up a new OEM stator, flywheel, and pickup. I was temped to go the HPI route and get a tuneable CDI box for around the same price as OEM but I got talked out of it.
Had a brand new shock piston bushing fail on me while going on too. Need to wait for another one to show up. Then the bike can finally be a rolling chassis
Arln.rm125
3/2/2022 9:17pm Edited Date/Time 3/2/2022 11:14pm
Back to positive stuff, the graphics are all on. Quite happy overall for my first attempt at designing graphics. Definitely wish I did the front number plate differently

My dad ended up messing up the factory connection fork sticker, it’s all good though. It’s being built to be ridden, and ridden hard
Arln.rm125
3/20/2022 7:51am
Well boys she’s all together, I’m having some issues with the rear brake as it won’t build pressure, and the rear shock won’t rebound so these pics look a bit weird. It has a brand new coil, flywheel, stator, and pickup now. Runs super crisp. I picked up a brand new crf front mc too. Will do one ride on the rm one and then swap out to the crf. Just so I know the difference with the billet caliper. I also need to toss on my new seat foam and cover when it comes in. It weighed in at 194 pounds full of fluids, one gallon of gas, and no seat. Pretty damn light if I say so myself. Didn’t do all that much to drop weight either

https://youtube.com/shorts/cFTTW5N-kaQ?feature=share
BToz
3/20/2022 1:25pm
Looks awesome!!
3/20/2022 6:44pm
That’s weird about the rebound and rear brake. I just got done with my 04 and I have the same exact problems
Arln.rm125
3/20/2022 7:01pm
That’s weird about the rebound and rear brake. I just got done with my 04 and I have the same exact problems
Haha that is weird. My shock issue ended up being that I forgot to add in the hat spacers into the linkage and it was binding. Are you sure you backed out all your adjustments before pulling into your shock? A friend of mine warned my issue could’ve been a stuck rebound needle. I haven’t fixed the rear brake yet but it’s likely just a flipped piston. As I’ve noticed when I depress the rear brake it pushes fluid into the reservoir. Hope that helps. Let me know how it goes, got any photos of the bike?
Arln.rm125
3/20/2022 7:11pm
Yeah it may be the spacers and I’ll have to check to see if something flipped inside the reservoir. Thank you! There are a bunch of...
Yeah it may be the spacers and I’ll have to check to see if something flipped inside the reservoir. Thank you! There are a bunch of pics but you can scroll to the bottom to see the final result https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Bike-Builds,46/2004-RM-125-Build,1397125
Always happy to try and help. Hell yeah man that is a clean rm, nice job on the build. Let me know if you end up getting it fixed
Arln.rm125
3/27/2022 2:50pm Edited Date/Time 3/27/2022 2:52pm
Well guys I got out for a bit of a test ride Monday at our 10 acres and crashed pretty hard. Tank slapper at the top of 4th gear. Corrected the tank slapper but was facing a barbed wire fence. Panic grabbed front brake and went over the bars. Bike stayed out of the fence but I didn’t. Nothings broken other then my pride lol. Just a torn quad muscle and something in my left elbow that makes it so I cannot use it. Need MRI’s. I also got some road rash and barbed wire cuts. Whatever is happening in my left elbow I think the barbed wire sliced something. I have it on video but don’t wanna post it here
Photo of me about an hour after the crash in the hospital. First ambulance ride, they are horribly uncomfortable

Now back to important stuff, the bikes mostly alright with some bent bars and a bent subframe. Plastics are somehow alright even though it cartwheeled many times. It was really rich and unhappy but pulled super hard in powerband. Gripped super good too. Billet front brake caliper is insanely strong and progressive. Sticking to the rm mc right now. I still have the crf for whenever I wanna swap it out. I just bought a Honda hpsd off eBay and plan on trying to fit it up. I have some ideas on how to make it bolt on with some custom billet aluminum parts I’ll design then get machined. Will 3D print to test fit everything. Hopefully it will be a bolt on affair but I’m pretty sure I’ll need to trim the steering stop
Arln.rm125
3/27/2022 2:51pm
Yeah it may be the spacers and I’ll have to check to see if something flipped inside the reservoir. Thank you! There are a bunch of...
Yeah it may be the spacers and I’ll have to check to see if something flipped inside the reservoir. Thank you! There are a bunch of pics but you can scroll to the bottom to see the final result https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Bike-Builds,46/2004-RM-125-Build,1397125
You ever end up getting your issues fixed?
3/28/2022 3:08pm
Arln.rm125 wrote:
You ever end up getting your issues fixed?
Yeah man got everything sorted out. Hate to see that you got hurt but glad it wasn’t any worse!!
Arln.rm125
3/28/2022 11:43pm
Yeah man got everything sorted out. Hate to see that you got hurt but glad it wasn’t any worse!!
Glad to hear you got it all fixed. Very lucky to not be hurt worse. Could've been much worse, gotta be grateful for that. Currently working on a mount for a showa HPSD. Trying to get my hands on a PC linkage arm too. If anyone has one they are willing to part ways with please let me know
Arln.rm125
3/28/2022 11:50pm

Currently working on a bolt on solution to get the hpsd on the last gen rm’s. First 3d printed prototype. Need to work on the lower bracket/mount. And finite the upper mount. I’ll likely end up using 6061-t6. Finite will give me a better idea of what alloy makes the most sense. I’ll end up removing as much material as I can while still keeping it super strong. Because is it really trick if you don’t try to remove some weight? Haha. Ill have to relocate the cdi to the airbox as the upper mount is using the cdi mounting bracket
3/29/2022 6:17pm
You did an awesome job on the bike, it's beautiful and I'm really sorry to hear about your crash. Hope everything comes out alright.

Arln.rm125
3/29/2022 6:29pm
You did an awesome job on the bike, it's beautiful and I'm really sorry to hear about your crash. Hope everything comes out alright.

Appreciate it man, definitely lucky I didn’t get hurt any worse. Getting an MRI tomorrow on my elbow as I still cannot use it a week after the crash.
Arln.rm125
3/29/2022 6:39pm Edited Date/Time 3/29/2022 6:41pm
Did some finite testing on the HPSD mount today and removed a ton of material while creating load paths. 1000 ft lbs of force on the -x and -y axis gave a max of 40k psi. 2k psi away from failure still. 6061-t6 is the alloy ill use for this due to availably and weight. May remove a bit more material, still undecided. More then strong enough for the HPSD though, they barley put out any load at all. First time really messing with finite element analysis. Quite fun

Arln.rm125
3/29/2022 7:13pm

Also picked up a se4 carbon as it was on a blowout sale. Crazy just how light and comfortable this helmet is. 10x better then the Polly version. The GoPro will be heavier then the helmet haha
mxracer666
3/29/2022 8:14pm
Recover fast Bud! This is a really nice build - great attention to detail!
Arln.rm125
3/29/2022 11:48pm
mxracer666 wrote:
Recover fast Bud! This is a really nice build - great attention to detail!
Appreciate it man, Its not anything too crazy yet. More of a "seat time" build if you can call it that haha. V2 will be much more in-depth with tons of custom parts designed and made by me. Moving into 3120sqft of space will give me the ability to do just about whatever I can dream of. And being a 15 year old with a burning passion for anything trick, light, and fast. I can dream of a lot lol. I have been healing up good so far minus my left arm. Most of the cuts and road rash are healed, torn left quad is almost completely healed already. But still no use of my left elbow
rm449
Fantasy
609th
4/14/2022 5:01pm
Arln.rm125 wrote:
Did some finite testing on the HPSD mount today and removed a ton of material while creating load paths. 1000 ft lbs of force on the...
Did some finite testing on the HPSD mount today and removed a ton of material while creating load paths. 1000 ft lbs of force on the -x and -y axis gave a max of 40k psi. 2k psi away from failure still. 6061-t6 is the alloy ill use for this due to availably and weight. May remove a bit more material, still undecided. More then strong enough for the HPSD though, they barley put out any load at all. First time really messing with finite element analysis. Quite fun

how are you planning to secure this ti the cdi mount? also would you be willing to give me either the fusion file or the stl file?
Kidkawie
4/14/2022 7:21pm
You should have a suspension shop look at your setup. RMs are known for their great chassis, no need to add that damper.
Arln.rm125
4/22/2022 5:41am
rm449 wrote:
how are you planning to secure this ti the cdi mount? also would you be willing to give me either the fusion file or the stl...
how are you planning to secure this ti the cdi mount? also would you be willing to give me either the fusion file or the stl file?
Hey sorry for taking a while to respond I haven’t been paying attention to my emails. I am going to drill holes and use washers to distribute load. So it will be a m6 bolt from the back side that screws into the aluminum mount itself. Sorry but I wouldn’t be willing to give the file away. Plus this design is meant to fit a specific setup. And wouldn’t work with your mounting setup. I would be willing to work with you and help you design a mount that will work for your bike. I’d have to charge a flat rate engineering fee though (probably 20 ish bucks as it’s a simple design). If you have the spare time and drive I’d recommend installing the trial version of fusion 360 and giving it a shot yourself. Watch a few YouTube videos and spend a good few hours and you could definitely learn to make it yourself
Arln.rm125
4/22/2022 5:42am
Kidkawie wrote:
You should have a suspension shop look at your setup. RMs are known for their great chassis, no need to add that damper.
Suspension is setup for my weight. Springs are dead on but it’s definitely valved aggressively for me. The rm’s are great chassis but are known to be unstable. Just wanted to try this setup to see how it works. If it doesn’t work then oh well, now I know
Arln.rm125
4/22/2022 5:47am

Back to cool stuff, bought a linkage thinking it would fit my bike as it was advertised as so. But it’s a 04/05 kx125/250 pro circuit linkage. Definitely can’t be mad as I got a great deal on it. I’ve been thinking about making some replica ones as they are pretty rare to find for sale. If anyone is interested lmk. If I end up doing a replica of these kx linkage systems then I’ll end up doing a billet linkage system for the rm’s too. Based off the pro circuit geometry. I’ve never seen billet knuckles for the rm’s and would love to make a fully billet linkage system for these bikes as I love the look of billet bling
Kidkawie
4/22/2022 11:22am
Arln.rm125 wrote:
Suspension is setup for my weight. Springs are dead on but it’s definitely valved aggressively for me. The rm’s are great chassis but are known to...
Suspension is setup for my weight. Springs are dead on but it’s definitely valved aggressively for me. The rm’s are great chassis but are known to be unstable. Just wanted to try this setup to see how it works. If it doesn’t work then oh well, now I know
Saying its a good chassis but unstable makes no sense. They are plenty stable, Ive ridden those bikes 125/250s. Your sag and or fork height must be way out.

Also, that linkage looks like a early kx/rm 250f. Which is why you got it cheap. Wont work on KX smokers at-all. KX125s and 250s in those years have different linkages too.
rm449
Fantasy
609th
4/22/2022 11:43am
rm449 wrote:
how are you planning to secure this ti the cdi mount? also would you be willing to give me either the fusion file or the stl...
Arln.rm125 wrote:
Hey sorry for taking a while to respond I haven’t been paying attention to my emails. I am going to drill holes and use washers to...
Hey sorry for taking a while to respond I haven’t been paying attention to my emails. I am going to drill holes and use washers to distribute load. So it will be a m6 bolt from the back side that screws into the aluminum mount itself. Sorry but I wouldn’t be willing to give the file away. Plus this design is meant to fit a specific setup. And wouldn’t work with your mounting setup. I would be willing to work with you and help you design a mount that will work for your bike. I’d have to charge a flat rate engineering fee though (probably 20 ish bucks as it’s a simple design). If you have the spare time and drive I’d recommend installing the trial version of fusion 360 and giving it a shot yourself. Watch a few YouTube videos and spend a good few hours and you could definitely learn to make it yourself
I appreciate you offering to help me. I just wanted to print that design out and see if it would work with something I was going to try and do. I'm very familiar with fusion and most Autodesk applications I was just trying to cut some work out for myself.

Post a reply to: 2007 rm125 done? Crashed

The Latest