2007 cr250 basic clean up and make over

Related:
Create New Tag

5/18/2018 6:00 AM

Nothing spectacular here, just stripped it down, cleaned it up, replaced what needed, and threw on some lipstick.
Now to get the jetting right. I'm going to try and get the stocker acceptable. I know it's a POS, but someone spent the money on making it a 39mm carb, so I'm going to give it the old college try.
Excuse my messy toy box as well. Too many projects going on, no time to clean.

The way I bought it.

Photo Photo

stripped, cleaned and reassembly started.

Photo Photo Photo Photo Photo

All done, minus jetting. Yes, I have the grips on there now as well.

Photo
Photo

|

5/18/2018 4:01 PM

Good looking bike, love the ergo's and how the last generation CR's handle. Also, a little trick to stop "frame wear" where shroud meets frame...Use the cheap car door trim that can be purchased at auto parts store, cut about an inch and half and peel and stick to the shroud. Once again, nice bike.

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

5/18/2018 5:28 PM

That’s a really nice bike ! What are the specs on it if you don’t mind me asking?

|

5/20/2018 5:05 PM

Thanks guys. This bike is mostly stock. The complete cylinder and head were brand new when I bought the bike. I probably wouldn't have bought it if that wasn't the case. With it being new, I checked the squish and it was .085, so I sent the cylinder and head to Eric Gorr and had him take off .030. He did that and the new cut on the head was set for premium pump gas. After putting it back together, the squish was about .057, so right about where I wanted it.
The pipe/silencer is and FMF SST and shorty silencer. I bought that from a fellow Vital member as well as a few other parts. There is a v-force reed cage. Stock suspension for now and stock carb for now. I also had a brand new set of Easton bars lying around, so I put those on.
The carb jetting totally sucks, but it's rideable. When I had the carb apart it looked like it had some work done to it. I measured the reed side and it was 39MM, so I'm pretty sure someone had it opened up.
I had my maiden voyage on it yesterday. Loved the cornering and it's got a ton of power. I didn't think I'd like the bars, but they were pretty damn good. I just have to fix that carb, or buy a different one! BTW - I hate jetting!!!!

|

5/21/2018 7:15 PM

Nice ! Well it definitely looks like a nice bike that you will get lots of time on.. I’m hoping my DT will be as nice as that.. I am planning on replacing the top end when I have the money.. but for now the 40 plus year old parts will have to do.
Thanks,
Micah

|

5/24/2018 10:31 AM

danman wrote:

Thanks guys. This bike is mostly stock. The complete cylinder and head were brand new when I bought the bike. I probably ...more

I know a real popular carb choice (apart from going lectron) is the keihin Air Stryker carbs, not 100% on the sizing, but I do hear it makes a world of difference.

|

5/24/2018 11:43 AM

I ordered one of the Keihin Air Strykers on Tuesday. Supposedly comes pre-jetted for the mods I told them.
I won't get to test it until mid-June because the Mrs and I are going on our 25th Anniversary trip! 2 weeks in Alaska! I didn't care where we went, just as long as I wasn't working!!!!
I try and report back after.

|