2007 KX250 retro build

8/27/2018 11:55am
MXJIM10 wrote:
Whats the difference between Blue and Red spring?
No hp gains, just thought it was funny with the jokes about different colored powerbands.

The new ones just came painted blue from Kawasaki, there aren't any actual differences (other than the 11 year old ones being slightly shorter than the new ones).
8/27/2018 5:21pm Edited Date/Time 8/27/2018 7:36pm
Piston kit should arrive Thursday. So tonight I torqued the rear linkage & shock to spec and installed new chain roller and slider. Couldn't find any non-black sliders stateside so I got the blue one from UK.

Ryguy125
8/28/2018 5:16am
Powder coating done. Also, seat is finished with a pretty trick cover that I haven't seen on a bike in a really long time. Will drop...
Powder coating done. Also, seat is finished with a pretty trick cover that I haven't seen on a bike in a really long time. Will drop that later in the build. Wink

Just curious on how much it was to get the frame powdercoated.. Looking at getting mine done soon
8/28/2018 6:42am Edited Date/Time 8/28/2018 12:39pm
Ryguy125 wrote:
Just curious on how much it was to get the frame powdercoated.. Looking at getting mine done soon
The local shop I used charged $250 for the frame, shock spring, and a couple smaller items.

Pro tip:
1) Make sure your powdercoater masks the frame VIN number.
2) Make sure they protect all threads with silicone plugs.
3) Same for any exposed bearing surfaces (assuming you didn't pull your steering stem bearings first).
4) Be careful of fitted joints like where the swingarm bolts to frame. Powdercoating the insides of those areas may make it difficult to get your parts installed again.

The Shop

Ryguy125
8/28/2018 4:15pm
The local shop I used charged $250 for the frame, shock spring, and a couple smaller items. Pro tip: 1) Make sure your powdercoater masks the...
The local shop I used charged $250 for the frame, shock spring, and a couple smaller items.

Pro tip:
1) Make sure your powdercoater masks the frame VIN number.
2) Make sure they protect all threads with silicone plugs.
3) Same for any exposed bearing surfaces (assuming you didn't pull your steering stem bearings first).
4) Be careful of fitted joints like where the swingarm bolts to frame. Powdercoating the insides of those areas may make it difficult to get your parts installed again.

Good things to know... i appreciate it!
8/29/2018 8:07pm
Mounted tires and disc rotors on the new wheels tonight.

8/30/2018 9:48pm
Can't decide if I want to keep the uni-trak decals on or go with plain swingarm.

8/31/2018 3:28pm
Piston kit came in today. I like that it's coming together quicker now that most of the intricate work is done.

Hope to have it back together in time for Sunday or Labor Day break-in.
8/31/2018 9:34pm
Always helps to have the right tool for the job. These interior cylinder base nuts were always a PITA until I discovered that an offset 12pt box end wrench works perfectly.

Luke hooked me up with a slightly lower compression Phathead insert to allow me to run 93 pump if I want. He also supplied me with two standard compression head inserts as spares.

The OEM intake boot was dry rotted, so it was either direct OEM replacement or RAD valve. The RAD valve was a few tenners more, but I get a nice AL intake and maybe improved throttle response.

Won't be long now...

9/1/2018 6:18pm
The old brake pedal and kicker were worn out and rattle canned, so I indulged in new replacements...

Motor is all together now:

Need figure how to glue the rubber gas tank mounts to the frame. They were stuck on before, but not sure what Kawasaki used.

Anyway, progress:

DJV804
9/1/2018 7:11pm
The old brake pedal and kicker were worn out and rattle canned, so I indulged in new replacements... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/09/01/284657/s1200_brake.jpg[/img] Motor is all together now: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/09/01/284658/s1200_brakekicknew.jpg[/img] Need...
The old brake pedal and kicker were worn out and rattle canned, so I indulged in new replacements...

Motor is all together now:

Need figure how to glue the rubber gas tank mounts to the frame. They were stuck on before, but not sure what Kawasaki used.

Anyway, progress:

Notnsure what others do, but I usually sand down the middle part where they sit and use grip glue to hold them on for the rear ones, the ones on the frame spars i just use small zip ties
9/1/2018 8:54pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2018 8:55pm
Tomorrow I gotta fix two stripped fork guard threads from PO. Have helicoils ready to go for that. Then, install front wheel & brake, then get the cooling system installed.

9/2/2018 12:30pm Edited Date/Time 9/2/2018 12:30pm
Radiators installed. Got some GPI hoses, but only 1 out of the 4 in pack actually came close to fitting. Ordered for a 07 KX250 two stroke, so not sure what's up..they looked close but were just off either inside diameter or length too short.

Anyway - cleaned up the stockers with some silicone lube and they look good as new.

Not much left now...

Taking a break in the A/C before putting on the plastic.
9/2/2018 7:30pm
Threw on an old seat for the time being. Gonna study up on graphic installation then install the plate backgrounds, shroud graphics and new seat tomorrow.

9/2/2018 7:37pm
Just started her up for the first time. Bike sounds so good. I picked up too short of a chain so I won't be able to ride it just yet.
CSAR FE
9/3/2018 4:19pm
Beautiful work bud. Looks great.
9/3/2018 8:17pm
First ride today. Engine is violent. So much faster than my KTM 350 sx-f. Forks need setup badly. Feel harsh landing from jumps and the bike doesn't settle into corners. Had zero rear brake, looked at fluid it was dark gray (ugh!).

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
9/3/2018 10:35pm
First ride today. Engine is violent. So much faster than my KTM 350 sx-f. Forks need setup badly. Feel harsh landing from jumps and the bike...
First ride today. Engine is violent. So much faster than my KTM 350 sx-f. Forks need setup badly. Feel harsh landing from jumps and the bike doesn't settle into corners. Had zero rear brake, looked at fluid it was dark gray (ugh!).

Looks awesome!!!!

Are you running a turbine core?
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
9/4/2018 7:56am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Looks awesome!!!!

Are you running a turbine core?
Yes, though I also have a 304.
Did you get to ride it with the 304 yet?
9/4/2018 8:30am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
No, I usually prefer my bikes to be quieter than louder. Not much torque/hp lost in using a Turbine Core vs 304 tbh. Also, even with the turbine core, this bike fucking RIPS. It's a 265cc, and with the pipe and RAD valve.. jesus lahd hep me.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
9/4/2018 9:27am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
No, I usually prefer my bikes to be quieter than louder. Not much torque/hp lost in using a Turbine Core vs 304 tbh. Also, even with...
No, I usually prefer my bikes to be quieter than louder. Not much torque/hp lost in using a Turbine Core vs 304 tbh. Also, even with the turbine core, this bike fucking RIPS. It's a 265cc, and with the pipe and RAD valve.. jesus lahd hep me.
Oh I bet! Our 05 kx250 is bone stock and that motor is unreal!
9/4/2018 12:22pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
No, I usually prefer my bikes to be quieter than louder. Not much torque/hp lost in using a Turbine Core vs 304 tbh. Also, even with...
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Actually I remembered that I had installed an 11oz flywheel weight. I shudder to think how nasty this bike would be without the fww installed.

Has anyone compared dyno between these last gen "R" KX250 engines with a modern 250SX engine? Wonder if the torque/hp numbers are similar.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
9/4/2018 12:50pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Actually I remembered that I had installed an 11oz flywheel weight. I shudder to think how nasty this bike would be without the fww installed. Has...
Actually I remembered that I had installed an 11oz flywheel weight. I shudder to think how nasty this bike would be without the fww installed.

Has anyone compared dyno between these last gen "R" KX250 engines with a modern 250SX engine? Wonder if the torque/hp numbers are similar.
I would have to think they were close. Never ridden an SX and it's been a little while since I've ridden the kx, but I will try to compare my 05 YZ with the 05 KX and let you know how I feel they compare.
DJV804
9/4/2018 1:09pm
Actually I remembered that I had installed an 11oz flywheel weight. I shudder to think how nasty this bike would be without the fww installed. Has...

I had a 2006 kx250 for about a year as decided to sell it for that reason. These things were absolute monsters to ride.

I'd like to find another though, been keeping an eye out for a while now.
Markopolo400
9/4/2018 2:52pm
I feel like I'm the only one on the planet who had a 2006 KX250 and thought it was super smooth, almost mellow lol. Powertrain was all stock except r304 silencer and setting the ignition air gap.

At least that's how I remember it, I haven't ridden it in 5.5 years. But shes coming out of hibernation in a couple weeks.
DJV804
9/4/2018 2:59pm
I feel like I'm the only one on the planet who had a 2006 KX250 and thought it was super smooth, almost mellow lol. Powertrain was...
I feel like I'm the only one on the planet who had a 2006 KX250 and thought it was super smooth, almost mellow lol. Powertrain was all stock except r304 silencer and setting the ignition air gap.

At least that's how I remember it, I haven't ridden it in 5.5 years. But shes coming out of hibernation in a couple weeks.
If thats how yours was, something was done to it without you knowing. The 05-07 was known for being a gnarly and hard hitting engine. So much so that they even had an optional head from kawi with lower compression to help with the Pinging and lessen the hit they had in the power.
Beeby
9/5/2018 10:52am
A friend in the UK is doing a build of this exact bike and is struggling to get parts. Do you mind sharing what sources you've used to get parts please?

Post a reply to: 2007 KX250 retro build

The Latest