2007 CRF 250R Craiglist Project

TLC7
Edited Date/Time 4/14/2018 9:05pm
I picked this bike up off of the list of Craig for $1,200 awhile back. When I got the bike I was a very inexperienced rider and mechanic so its been a fun build for me learning both the riding and wrenching side of things, I think for everything that got replaced something got torn up from my lack of experience (stripping bolts, breaking a drain plug off in the motor, putting things on backwards etc) I didn't keep good detailed pictures at the time since I didn't really know how to keep up with the build but ill throw up what I have and some of the changes/upgrades. Last thing is thanks to everyone who posts on here, I learned a ton.

This is the bile when I brought it home. I peeled off the UFC graphics from the shrouds and quickly realized how many Phillips head screws and zip ties were holding the plastics on. Most of the threads in the tank were completely stripped out, I replaced them with helicoils and I would suggest that simple fix to anyone.

Another pic of the bike after I scrubbed on it a little bit, as it sat the bike needed a full drive kit, tires and tubes, wheel bearings, brake discs and pads, a good carb cleaning (and re jetting), and just for creature features I wanted new levers, bars, shifter, and new plastics and graphics.

At this point I had gotten all of the bolts replaced, threads repaired, carb was being cleaned on the work bench this day, and this was the first time I had taken a bike down this far.

My brother in law runs a steel shop that also has a powder coating facility and he was nice enough to let me coat my wheels, hubs, and side cases for free. When the wheels got broken down I replaced all of the bearings, spokes, nipples, and tires and tubes. Also was able to replace the sprockets, sprocket bolts, and chain, chain rollers and guides. You can see where I covered a little too much on the hub in an effort to keep the powder out of the hubs, not a huge deal but ill know better next time.

All mounted up, at this point I had also mounted up new brake discs (Tusk Typhoon wave rotors)

There was a big gap between any pictures at this point, if I could go back I would have taken more detailed pictures of some improvements. You can see the full PC TI4 system I was able to snag off of ebay for $200 with only a small dent in the header.

The stock suspension was very stiff for me (I weigh 145-150) and made the bike very difficult to handle even after making several adjustments to it. Luckily my dad was working in Houston for awhile and found this full set of Showa forks and rear shock that came out of Espy ( Dave Espinoza's shop) It was set up for a 150lb female rider that hadnt ridden the kit in awhile and let go of everything for $400. Some fresh fluids in them and it made a huge difference from the moment they got bolted on. They look pretty good too with all of the coatings on the lower and upper tubes.

The most eventful part of my build was when I snapped the drain plug off in the motor. Half of the bolt was stuck in the threads so at least it wasn't floating around. I had never removed a motor and didn't want to just drill out the bolt if I didn't have too (being that I was tired of getting out the tap and dye set) so I called my dad wondering what to do to which he responded "You have a manual" which was his way of telling me to yank the motor and bring it over to his house for further inspection. As upset as I was about it I wouldn't have hated to split the cases and learn how to change main bearings and such. We couldn't get a good center punch on the remaining bolt because of how rough the surface of the bolt was, before we went to drill it out pops said "well let me try this" and he proceeded to get enough bite with a flat head to spin it right out. I wanted to ride the next day so I stayed up all night to rebuild the bike so I could go.
|
byronf29
4/14/2018 4:38pm
Great looking bike. My first 250f was a 05 and I really liked it. It ran good, cornered great and it was cheap to buy. I also found a lot of parts for it on eBay. I probably should have kept it.

Post a reply to: 2007 CRF 250R Craiglist Project

The Latest