Cr 12..... 2016 KTM 150

Thack138
3/22/2017 5:43pm Edited Date/Time 4/3/2017 7:33pm
whats up guys, recently picked up this pretty clean CR 125 from a guy in houston. Planning on taking it down to the frame and getting it coated black, then building it back up with fresh parts. Right now the bike from what i can tell isn't in to bad of a shape but I've always wanted to do a black framed bike and this is the time. As of now the only thing I've seen wrong with it is the right radiator is smashed and just a few parts that look like10 years old parts would. Just got a new job and the wife is pushing to buy a house so I'm hoping within the next 6 months this thing will be complete(after moving and finally having a garage to work out of). haven't completely decided if i want the TX race kit on it or the stock plastics but that will come in time. Ive been on yamaha two strokes basically since i moved to big bikes so when i was looking for a new bike i figured honda would be worth a try. This will be my first complete tear down on a bike as well so might need a few pointers. Also if anyone in the San antonio area knows any good powder coating.... let me know. As soon as i get some parts ordered ill update with more pics.

also I'm feeling the look i had on my old YZ before i sold her, so thinking something along the lines of this kinda look, just honda themed

|
RMRider1
3/22/2017 7:46pm
Very clean! Nice find! A notoriously slow of the slow 125's...Not sure what guys do but I'm sure someone on here will have the scoop on making this thing better! Good luck with it! Btw... I have a '06 CR 250... Best bike ever! Just like your 125, they handle unreal!
Thack138
3/22/2017 8:15pm
RMRider1 wrote:
Very clean! Nice find! A notoriously slow of the slow 125's...Not sure what guys do but I'm sure someone on here will have the scoop on...
Very clean! Nice find! A notoriously slow of the slow 125's...Not sure what guys do but I'm sure someone on here will have the scoop on making this thing better! Good luck with it! Btw... I have a '06 CR 250... Best bike ever! Just like your 125, they handle unreal!
Thanks man I was pretty excited when I got it! I have heard there slow.... thinking I'll throw a big bore in it with time. But it's a125 that's just part of it lol. And I've heard the handling is great my buddy just got a 04 cr 250 (I told him when he's ready to sell it I'm the buyer) and said the same thing about the handling so I'm excited to get some seat time. I was thinking of spending some major cash on a used 16 sx 150 but ran out of patience looking for one. So I've got a good stack of cash to put into it.. I'm excited

wsc96
Fantasy
553rd
3/22/2017 10:08pm
Cool. Looking forward to another CR build. I have an 07 CR125 too. Good luck!
bd
3/23/2017 5:22pm
Keep it a 125cc and send it to Watts Perfections. Install modded engine and blow every bloke away.

The Shop

Jmicmoto13
3/24/2017 10:35am Edited Date/Time 3/24/2017 10:36am
Awesome bike. ready to watch the build. great looking yz!
Thack138
3/25/2017 11:24am
Slowly ordering parts but here's the list so far:
PC works pipe and short silencer
Cycra stadium number plate and fender 15 crf style
Black mud flap (why is Oem white...?)
Found a good right radiator on eBay for 60$ from a guy in tx
WC radiator braces (heard the radiators smash easy so hope this helps)
Fork bleeders
Galfer rear rotor
Galfer front oversized rotor kit
DID dirt star black rims (planning on coating the hubs cherry red)
Pro taper bars cr high
Grips
ARC black levers
Red axle blocks
Vforce reeds
Galfer front brake line
Got some other misc stuff coming but that's the major list for now. Went all out on the wheels (minus tires at the moment) and controls..... also having a real hard time if I'm going to have the bike have all red plastics or have like my old you black in the back and red up front only..... still tossed up on that at the moment. But these parts are a good start.

wsc96
Fantasy
553rd
3/25/2017 12:56pm
A lot of those will be the same as mine will be. Going to go all red with the plastics though.

Doing anything with the suspension? Finding fork springs seems to be a little harder for these than other bikes.
Thack138
3/26/2017 7:05pm
wsc96 wrote:
A lot of those will be the same as mine will be. Going to go all red with the plastics though. Doing anything with the suspension...
A lot of those will be the same as mine will be. Going to go all red with the plastics though.

Doing anything with the suspension? Finding fork springs seems to be a little harder for these than other bikes.
I will eventually but no plans for it at the moment. I'll prob get it done for my weight pretty soon but for right now I'll keep the stock suspension. I may try to put the crf newer forks and clamps on it but that will come later
yjgfikl
3/26/2017 11:24pm
Thack138 wrote:
Slowly ordering parts but here's the list so far: PC works pipe and short silencer Cycra stadium number plate and fender 15 crf style Black mud...
Slowly ordering parts but here's the list so far:
PC works pipe and short silencer
Cycra stadium number plate and fender 15 crf style
Black mud flap (why is Oem white...?)
Found a good right radiator on eBay for 60$ from a guy in tx
WC radiator braces (heard the radiators smash easy so hope this helps)
Fork bleeders
Galfer rear rotor
Galfer front oversized rotor kit
DID dirt star black rims (planning on coating the hubs cherry red)
Pro taper bars cr high
Grips
ARC black levers
Red axle blocks
Vforce reeds
Galfer front brake line
Got some other misc stuff coming but that's the major list for now. Went all out on the wheels (minus tires at the moment) and controls..... also having a real hard time if I'm going to have the bike have all red plastics or have like my old you black in the back and red up front only..... still tossed up on that at the moment. But these parts are a good start.

I vote you stick with red! If you can't tell from my 125 thread, I'm not a fan of black plastics Smile
bll
3/27/2017 6:50am
RMRider1 wrote:
Very clean! Nice find! A notoriously slow of the slow 125's...Not sure what guys do but I'm sure someone on here will have the scoop on...
JD Jet Kit.

Thack138
4/2/2017 11:18pm Edited Date/Time 4/2/2017 11:25pm
Hey guys sorry to disappoint you Honda guys but ...

I just couldn't get over the fact I wanted a 150. So I ended up finding this one (in Houston again, love that drive) with 8 hours on it so I went to pick her up. This is the closest thing I'll ever have to a brand new bike so I pulled the trigger. I'm about twice as excited for this bike as I was the Honda to say the least. Just riding it in a parking lot the little thing gets it so I'm stoked.
That being said I'm going to sell the Honda. As much as I'd want to keep it the wife almost threw me out when I brought home the 150. Again sorry to disappoint the Honda guys lol.
I'll be buying some parts for this bike within a few weeks to give it my touch so I'll post that update

wsc96
Fantasy
553rd
4/3/2017 3:39am
Good luck with it mate. If you're looking to sell any of the CR stuff you got, shoot me a PM.
YamahaJT1
4/3/2017 5:06pm Edited Date/Time 4/3/2017 5:46pm
Nice find! Looks great!

The 05'-07' CR125 is my favorite bike of all time... Perhaps a quirk, but they are nimble and easy to work on. I have a few. I am fat, old, and slow.

Here is a bit of encouragement to diffuse the myths:

http://www.dirtrider.com/tests/motocross-bikes/141_0502_2005_honda_cr12…

Yes, the WC braces are a must. Good call. Running Vertex Race B pistons in "A" cylinders to good effect.

JD kit? Good, never fouled a plug yet. I have a spiffy new Lectron ready to go on my 07'. I'll post my findings in a couple of weeks.

I prefer the PC platinum/longer 295 over the either of the shorty 304's. Just less spastic. I just got an FMF Fatty/Turbinecore 2, so we'll see in a few weeks.

Here is my "Budget Build" 05'. Yeah, Tusk wheels and all with Ebay graphics... I still love the little bastard!

Good Luck with your build!

EDIT: Unceremoniously dumping an 05'-07' CR125 may result in Baaaaaaaad Karma... J/K, good luck with your endeavors!
K-dubbb
4/3/2017 5:58pm
Don't blame you Tongue

Let us know how you like that 150! Sick
Thack138
4/3/2017 7:32pm
Just riding it in the parking lot the 150 is extremely strong I can tell so I can't wait to get it on a track. At 175lbs my main goal with a bike was just to have as much fun as I can. I may race here locally but I have no real drive to be "competitive" lol just to have the most fun I can on a bike.

Question for anybody tho, when I looked at the ktm in Houston the hour meter showed 6.6. I get it back to San Antonio (driving 85mph for 2.5 hrs) and right before I put it away I noticed the hour meter at 10.0. Has anybody experienced this? It has to be from the drive back but I'm not sure why that woulda happened?
pCp 252
Fantasy
2497th
4/3/2017 8:01pm
Some hour meters are wireless and work on vibration (like mine). A wired one wraps around the spark plug cap.

I've never heard someone noticing this. But it seems plausible that the truck's movement could trigger the hr meter.

Can you confirm if it's a wired or wireless unit?
4/4/2017 8:29am
I understand where you are coming from being a bigger guy and wanting the 150. Ive also got an '05 CR125 that I love but ive always seen the KTM150's and thought "man that would be really helpful to have a few more cc's." Then I got to thinking and decided F it, if Honda wont make a 150 then ill just do the next best thing and sent my cylinder off to MT to get the 144 kit done. I know it wont be the same as the modern KTM but I still think it will be well worth the money to have it done.
TJMX947
4/4/2017 12:47pm
I had a buddy back in the day who raced Hondas. I didn't know exactly what had been done to his CR125, but it was a monster and I know they had spent about 2k on the engine alone. I feel like it was a 167. I remember him pulling hole shots with ease over 250Fs and Mod 134s.

Thack138
4/5/2017 1:24am
pCp 252 wrote:
Some hour meters are wireless and work on vibration (like mine). A wired one wraps around the spark plug cap. I've never heard someone noticing this...
Some hour meters are wireless and work on vibration (like mine). A wired one wraps around the spark plug cap.

I've never heard someone noticing this. But it seems plausible that the truck's movement could trigger the hr meter.

I want to say it's wireless but I'll have to double check. I rode it before I bought it in a parking lot for about 5 min, the loaded it up. Got back and rode it maybe another 5 minutes and right before I put it away I noticed it was at 10. So I have no idea. I will say that it was in my truck and it rained for a solid 4 hours but I can't imagine that would have anything to do with it at all so that just leaves the drive over. I hope it doesn't happen every time I load it up lol. But I'll double check if it's wireless when I get the chance
Thack138
4/5/2017 1:30am
I understand where you are coming from being a bigger guy and wanting the 150. Ive also got an '05 CR125 that I love but ive...
I understand where you are coming from being a bigger guy and wanting the 150. Ive also got an '05 CR125 that I love but ive always seen the KTM150's and thought "man that would be really helpful to have a few more cc's." Then I got to thinking and decided F it, if Honda wont make a 150 then ill just do the next best thing and sent my cylinder off to MT to get the 144 kit done. I know it wont be the same as the modern KTM but I still think it will be well worth the money to have it done.
The way I saw it I was going to spend about 2k in parts before even getting into the engine which I would have wanted to throw in a big bore like you did but down the road. And for what I was going to put into the bike, I won't lie I just really wanted a brand new two stroke lol and the Ktm had my eye for about 6 months, right after I sold my yz. I agree with getting the big bore on any 125 unless you weight 140 lol let us know how much it helps.

Good news is i dont know if anybody from Texas has heard but I've looked on cycle ranches Fb page and there now open thurs nights!!!! Totally stoked on this news lol I heard that track used to be phinonminal. Can't wait to get out there
erik_94COBRA
4/5/2017 6:24am Edited Date/Time 4/5/2017 9:33am
I saw that KTM on CL. Less than 10 hours per the ad, and appeared to be barely ridden. Looked like a good deal.

Edit: maybe the hour meter said 9.9 and you misread as 6.6. I thought the ad said "10 hours" on it.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
4/5/2017 9:08am
pCp 252 wrote:
Some hour meters are wireless and work on vibration (like mine). A wired one wraps around the spark plug cap. I've never heard someone noticing this...

Thack138 wrote:
I want to say it's wireless but I'll have to double check. I rode it before I bought it in a parking lot for about 5...
I want to say it's wireless but I'll have to double check. I rode it before I bought it in a parking lot for about 5 min, the loaded it up. Got back and rode it maybe another 5 minutes and right before I put it away I noticed it was at 10. So I have no idea. I will say that it was in my truck and it rained for a solid 4 hours but I can't imagine that would have anything to do with it at all so that just leaves the drive over. I hope it doesn't happen every time I load it up lol. But I'll double check if it's wireless when I get the chance
Yeah I've heard of many wireless hour meters doing this. I stick with the wired one to be safe. Nice purchase, that bike is so sick!

Post a reply to: Cr 12..... 2016 KTM 150

The Latest