2006 YZ250 Refresh - 100% Complete

Z50Jay
Edited Date/Time 1/1/2020 12:01am
Hi everyone, I bought this YZ a bit over 12 months ago with the intention to restore to it's former glory. I finally got the chance to pull it down and tidy it up a bit.

Here it is when I first picked it up. Leaking fork seals, dented and horribly painted pipe, and converted in trashy stickers. Despite the cosmetic issues, it appeared to be in excellent mechanical condition and didn't look to have done any hard work.

I replaced the fork seals, changed fluids, removed terrible stickers and rode it as is for 12 months in the bush and occasionally on the mx track.

Finally the time came to tear it down and start cleaning everything up.

The first thing that I did was send the frame, swingarm and rims off for powdercoating. I don't really love the blacked out bikes everyone seems to be doing these days but I decided to powdercoat the frame in an effort to make cleaning easier in the future.

Whilst these components were getting coated I began ordering new seals, bearings and anything else that needed (or didn't need) to be replaced.

With everything apart I cleaned and restored items as time permitted. The local area I ride has a horrible red dirt that finds its way into every nook and cranny and isn't that easy to clean.

I sent just about every nut, bolt, spring etc to be zinc plated thanks to a recommendation from a fellow vitalmx member. Everything came back perfect with the exception of the axles and swingarm pivot bolt which came back between 0.1-0.2mm too thick (my fault - I requested for these to be coated by hanging rather than barrel coated). After the swingarm pivot bolt got stuck I realised I'd need to borrow a friend's lathe to tidy up the axles.

While the wheels were apart and engine covers off I had vital member elliottmagnus cerakote my hubs, engine covers and triple clamps. Super stoked with the finish.

Finally reassembly could begin. So happy with the plated items.

A friend told me about using RIT dye to dye plastic parts and I thought I'd give it a go on my flywheel and front sprocket covers.

Some fresh Dunlops

A cheap 2005 YZ250 popped up during this build and had a full pro circuit pipe on it, so I swapped it out with the DEP system before riding it a few times and then selling it on. It's pretty amazing how much better the 06+ SSS suspension is.

I had hoped to finish the build before my 2 week holiday (1000km drive from home) to go riding with friends but ran out of time. So I threw all the tools I thought I'd need and packed the parts into the car (hoping I didn't forget anything) and am now trying to finish the build at the in-laws.

This is essentially where I'm up to and have one more day to get the bike sorted before hitting the mx track this weekend.

|
Pirate421
6/30/2017 6:08am
Nice and clean! Looks awesome like the graphics and the white rotor guard.
Badd127
Fantasy
2111th
6/30/2017 2:35pm Edited Date/Time 6/30/2017 2:36pm
Nice work the bike looks very tidy! Now you have the cosmetics sorted, time for a single ring piston, vforce3 reeds and an oversized front rotor. Wink

Are you in the river land in S.A.?

The Shop

ledger
6/30/2017 4:53pm
Pirate421 wrote:
Nice and clean! Looks awesome like the graphics and the white rotor guard.
Agree with Pirate, the bike looks great. Can you give info how you used the dye if you don't mind ? Once again, nicely done.
Z50Jay
7/1/2017 12:53am
Badd127 wrote:
Nice work the bike looks very tidy! Now you have the cosmetics sorted, time for a single ring piston, vforce3 reeds and an oversized front rotor...
Nice work the bike looks very tidy! Now you have the cosmetics sorted, time for a single ring piston, vforce3 reeds and an oversized front rotor. Wink

Are you in the river land in S.A.?
Thanks! Oversize rotor is definitely something I'm going to do soon but the next mod will be a flywheel weight.

After 9 years away from mx I forgot how much fitness is required so ill put off performance mods until I can ride it as is.

No I'm in Moranbah in central QLD.
Z50Jay
7/1/2017 1:02am
Got to go out for a ride with some friends today. Struggled with fitness. Now that the bike is done I really need to get out and ride it more often. I rode it back to back with my friend's YZ125 and man they are so much more confidence inspiring and easier to ride. Maybe that's the next project...

JWACK
7/2/2017 4:27am
I like the dye on your ignition. I've been thinking of doing this to mine since I can't find any carbon fiber ones anywhere. I've looked for months! Are you real happy with how it came out ?
Z50Jay
7/2/2017 6:09am
JWACK wrote:
I like the dye on your ignition. I've been thinking of doing this to mine since I can't find any carbon fiber ones anywhere. I've looked...
I like the dye on your ignition. I've been thinking of doing this to mine since I can't find any carbon fiber ones anywhere. I've looked for months! Are you real happy with how it came out ?
Yep! If your cover is scratched or marked try and get imperfections out before dying it.
JWACK
7/2/2017 6:12am
JWACK wrote:
I like the dye on your ignition. I've been thinking of doing this to mine since I can't find any carbon fiber ones anywhere. I've looked...
Z50Jay wrote:
Yep! If your cover is scratched or marked try and get imperfections out before dying it.
Cool! Thanks.!
Your bike looks nice!
DrSweden
7/12/2017 8:54am Edited Date/Time 7/12/2017 8:55am
Z50Jay wrote:
Got to go out for a ride with some friends today. Struggled with fitness. Now that the bike is done I really need to get out...
Got to go out for a ride with some friends today. Struggled with fitness. Now that the bike is done I really need to get out and ride it more often. I rode it back to back with my friend's YZ125 and man they are so much more confidence inspiring and easier to ride. Maybe that's the next project...

Oh boy. I have two yz 2006, one 125, and one 250. I feel you.

I can't let go of the 250, it's so cool, sounds excellent (the real Braap), and have it's use in certain areas when grunt is needed, but it SUCKS compared the 125 because of confidence and it's not possible to ride as in use the potential of a 250 two stroke if you are not a pro or a former one. The 46 hp light switch power equals whiskey throttle, rear wheel all over the track with the risk of ending on the ground, and arms like spagetti and it's hard to time things when it's on or off. I honestly want it to have 40 hp and no hit.

But I still want to ride it. It's weird.

Nice build by the way!!!
Andy7
Fantasy
1312th
7/12/2017 3:54pm
Really nice bike!
Taylor705
7/28/2017 4:24pm
JWACK wrote:
Z50Jay wrote:
Very curious about how well the dye holds up overtime. Considering on doing it if it actually holds up
adam8781
7/28/2017 9:43pm
JWACK wrote:
Z50Jay wrote:
Taylor705 wrote:
Very curious about how well the dye holds up overtime. Considering on doing it if it actually holds up
it only dyes the plastic close to the surface, it rubs off over time showing the orginal color (i did my plastic fork guards on my 06 yz250.

still pretty durable though
vmxracer
7/29/2017 5:39am
Hey mate, who did you use to do your electro plating and nice build by the way
Z50Jay
7/30/2017 3:41am
JWACK wrote:
Z50Jay wrote:
Taylor705 wrote:
Looks just like it did the day I dyed it. The cerakote has worn off the clutch cover a bit and the powdercoating has worn off the frame both areas where my boots rub. My boots don't rub on the dyed pieces.
Z50Jay
7/30/2017 2:11pm
vmxracer wrote:
CP Plating
vmxracer
7/31/2017 3:00am
vmxracer wrote:
Z50Jay wrote:
CP Plating
Cheers mate, whereabouts are they?
jcrawmer939
12/31/2019 11:32am
Z50Jay wrote:
I was wanting to dye mine and seeing what I could dig up in old forums... when you said get out imperfections did you do any light sanding on it? I noticed yours looked flawless compared to others I have saw.
chump6784
1/1/2020 12:01am
How do you like the pro circuit vs the dep? I had a dep on my old yz, now running a hgs on my new one but I'm always looking for something different

Post a reply to: 2006 YZ250 Refresh - 100% Complete

The Latest