2006 YZ125 from Canada... Eh?

Edited Date/Time 5/3/2017 1:17am
Hey everyone,

I've been a lurker on these forums for the better part of a year, and finally decided it was time to post my build.

Here is how the bike looked when i picked it up 4-5 months ago

Was very close to stock, aside from the moose gripper seat.
Still had the original piston in it.
The front tire had cracks so big you could see the tube which was kind of interesting (I believe this was the original tire)
Had some very bent aftermarket garbage rads.
But she ran great and all the bearings were tight.

So i brought it home and began to tinker.
Airbox was cracked and the plastics were pretty worn so i replaced it with a set of 2015 plastics from Rocky Mountain.
Threw a front wheel from my 250f on to get me through the season.
Vertex Piston
Hammerhead shifter
Replaced the shift stopper with an 07+ version as the only thing left on the old one was the inner race.

Pro circuit Works pipe and 304 silencer
v force reeds
went up a tooth in the rear and picked up a D.I.D ERT2 chain.

Now the winter tear down has begun. Will update soon with pictures and the plan.

|
chillrich
12/24/2016 11:10am
I am building the same bike and found the shift stopper to be in same condition as yours. Ended up replacing axle main and all pinion gears because of the damage caused by the bearing failure on shift stopper. The wheel side gears all looked fine which I found odd. You might want to split the cases and take a look. Parts were about $380 CAD shipped incl duty from Parts Shark.

sandman768
12/24/2016 12:40pm
Nice starting point!.............ya hoser!
12/25/2016 11:25am
chillrich wrote:
I am building the same bike and found the shift stopper to be in same condition as yours. Ended up replacing axle main and all pinion...
I am building the same bike and found the shift stopper to be in same condition as yours. Ended up replacing axle main and all pinion gears because of the damage caused by the bearing failure on shift stopper. The wheel side gears all looked fine which I found odd. You might want to split the cases and take a look. Parts were about $380 CAD shipped incl duty from Parts Shark.

the cases were split and the trans gears all actually looked to be in fairly good condition. But my shift shaft was mangled
chillrich
12/25/2016 12:06pm Edited Date/Time 12/25/2016 12:07pm
Awesome. I guess I wasn't as fortunate.
What did the plastics amount to from RMATV?

The Shop

12/25/2016 12:09pm
So here's the plan. Im going to keep it fairly simple. I plan to keep it as a 125 as I already have a 144
The porting is going to be done locally.
CP piston
OEM Crank rebuilt with an OEM Conn rod
Stock hubs turned down
Going to get my OEM hubs turned down.
I have purchased a cerakoting kit and a small powder coating oven in hopes that i will be able to do that myself.
And a few other parts along the way.

I had a few parts and tools come in before christmas.

There was some worry after finding out that most of the shift stopper bearing was missing but it looks like the transmission wasnt damaged. Although the bottom end bearings were all either seized or barely moved. Ive opted to go to a local bearing shop to get bearings as opposed to buying OEM or buying a "bearing kit".

The shift shaft on the other hand got mangled, and actually looks to be slightly bent.

My brother got me a nice little Christmas gift

As a lot of this is a learning experience for me don't hesitate to call out if i'm doing something that doesn't seem right

Has anyone tried out the Motion Pro Vortex throttle? and does anyone know if an OEM black rubber cover will fit on it?

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

12/25/2016 12:13pm
chillrich wrote:
Awesome. I guess I wasn't as fortunate.
What did the plastics amount to from RMATV?
the plastics came out to around 330 CAD if I remember correctly but they will not Ship OEM parts to Canada so I had to drive down to the border to pick it up.
The kit comes as OEM plastics and airbox. the only thing you need to buy is the front number plate and fork guards.
chillrich
12/26/2016 8:26pm
My pinion side was definitely worse than yours.

Fortnine sells the kit for $340 CAD delivered, will probably go that way eventually.
1/3/2017 7:36pm
+1 on the vortex throttle, should come with a grey rubber dust cover. I have a feeling the throttle mechanism is a different shape then the oem yamaha throttle. The vortex is an excellent throttle when paired to motion pro's titan tube.
4/9/2017 12:34pm
Haven't made much progress in the last little while as I have been working on other bikes.

Got the engine assembled now its time to rebuild the forks.

ledger
4/9/2017 3:06pm
Haven't made much progress in the last little while as I have been working on other bikes. Got the engine assembled now its time to rebuild...
Haven't made much progress in the last little while as I have been working on other bikes.

Got the engine assembled now its time to rebuild the forks.

A+ on the motor, looks great.
K-dubbb
4/10/2017 5:09am
Bike is looking good!

I have the motion pro throttle and the boot that it came with is grey and cracks/falls apart extremely easy.....I was wondering the same thing about the OEM boot....please report if you try that route.

Cheers!
RussB
Fantasy
1164th
4/11/2017 8:08am
charley586 wrote:
what cerakote kit did you get?
+1
You definitely need to spill the beans on how you got that finish on the engine case! looks awesome
4/22/2017 9:20am
K-dubbb wrote:
Bike is looking good! I have the motion pro throttle and the boot that it came with is grey and cracks/falls apart extremely easy.....I was wondering...
Bike is looking good!

I have the motion pro throttle and the boot that it came with is grey and cracks/falls apart extremely easy.....I was wondering the same thing about the OEM boot....please report if you try that route.

Cheers!
I just checked and the OEM boot fits just like it should. I'm glad i don't have to use that hideous grey boot that came with it.
PJRAUS
4/24/2017 1:29am Edited Date/Time 4/24/2017 1:58am
Nice thread! I just picked up an 06 yz 125 today. Got it for $2,300 Australian dollars , which is too much but second hand two strokes are hard to find and huge money here. A new yz 125 is around $9,500

It's not too bad, racked up some time sitting in a shed unused and mostly been used for dirt track.
The pipe is all sand blasted but no dints...dirt track.
I swear the preload rings on the shock have never been touched...virgin.. So I'm guessing that shock oil is gonna be pretty rancid when I get into it tomorrow.
I will pull the clutch cover off too and have a look at the shift stopper seeing as how it's a problem apparently.
You reckon get a 2007 one as a replacement?
I'm gonna ride this bike for a while as is, then I will strip it and go through the whole bike.
Putting a new piston in it tomorrow, wanna go riding this weekend.
The cylinder is pretty worn. I will either go with a re plating job if it is inexpensive, or I will go for an Athena 144 kit.

Do you mind if I post my stuff in your thread...save starting another thread ?

PJRAUS
4/25/2017 1:57am
I had a look at a Yamaha online parts catalogue, the part number for the shift drum stopper/ roller is the same from 06 through to current. Is the new one you put in different in any way?
Can you get to it by removing the clutch cover and clutch? I haven't had a look yet. Went through the back end of the bike today, serviced the shock and linkage.
Linkage bearings are ok but the seals are damaged.
Swing arm bearings and seals are bad but usable for now as was the bottom shock bearing.
This bike seems to have never done motocross , the shock had definitely never been apart , yet the standard oil wasn't too bad and the shock doesn't look worn inside and the valving shims don't seem to have worked very hard.
I'm hoping that since this bike has done mostly dirt track, which doesn't have the shock and strain through the transmission that moto does , that the transmission won't have any significant wear
GregDVT
4/25/2017 10:26am
PJRAUS wrote:
Nice thread! I just picked up an 06 yz 125 today. Got it for $2,300 Australian dollars , which is too much but second hand two...
Nice thread! I just picked up an 06 yz 125 today. Got it for $2,300 Australian dollars , which is too much but second hand two strokes are hard to find and huge money here. A new yz 125 is around $9,500

It's not too bad, racked up some time sitting in a shed unused and mostly been used for dirt track.
The pipe is all sand blasted but no dints...dirt track.
I swear the preload rings on the shock have never been touched...virgin.. So I'm guessing that shock oil is gonna be pretty rancid when I get into it tomorrow.
I will pull the clutch cover off too and have a look at the shift stopper seeing as how it's a problem apparently.
You reckon get a 2007 one as a replacement?
I'm gonna ride this bike for a while as is, then I will strip it and go through the whole bike.
Putting a new piston in it tomorrow, wanna go riding this weekend.
The cylinder is pretty worn. I will either go with a re plating job if it is inexpensive, or I will go for an Athena 144 kit.

Do you mind if I post my stuff in your thread...save starting another thread ?

The more threads the merrier. It makes it easier for us to see your progress and respond directly.
PJRAUS
5/1/2017 10:31pm
Well I rode the bike for the first time at a club day on the weekend. It ran fantastic although it was very reluctant to shift under a load, especially from 3rd to 4th. Was worried about the shift drum stopper but didn't get a chance to look at it before I rode.
All I've done so far is change the fork oil and seals, strip and service the shock, all the linkage and swing arm bearings and a new piston , other than that just general service, new sprockets, chain , chain buffer and chain guide.

Pulled the clutch cover off today and everything was sweet, original shift stopper and all!
Clutch basked not very badly worn, fibre plates are a bit thin, steel plates don't look worn at all

At a loss to explain why it's so hard to up shift at full throttle, even slapping the clutch...the internals, primary gears etc look pristine.. Won't know til I split the cases I guess. It could just be poor technique on my part..Havent ridden in 3 years
In any case, I won't be tearing it down to start the rebuild project for a fair while yet...not unless the crank goes..it seemed to have a bit too much side to side movement..worn thrust washers...
I'm stunned at just how strong it runs as the cylinder is quite worn , especially below the exhaust port and on the exhaust port bridge
Just going to cane it , and get my riding back up to scratch.
These are fantastic bikes and I think I may have landed a bargain

Skerby
5/2/2017 1:41pm
PJRAUS wrote:
Well I rode the bike for the first time at a club day on the weekend. It ran fantastic although it was very reluctant to shift...
Well I rode the bike for the first time at a club day on the weekend. It ran fantastic although it was very reluctant to shift under a load, especially from 3rd to 4th. Was worried about the shift drum stopper but didn't get a chance to look at it before I rode.
All I've done so far is change the fork oil and seals, strip and service the shock, all the linkage and swing arm bearings and a new piston , other than that just general service, new sprockets, chain , chain buffer and chain guide.

Pulled the clutch cover off today and everything was sweet, original shift stopper and all!
Clutch basked not very badly worn, fibre plates are a bit thin, steel plates don't look worn at all

At a loss to explain why it's so hard to up shift at full throttle, even slapping the clutch...the internals, primary gears etc look pristine.. Won't know til I split the cases I guess. It could just be poor technique on my part..Havent ridden in 3 years
In any case, I won't be tearing it down to start the rebuild project for a fair while yet...not unless the crank goes..it seemed to have a bit too much side to side movement..worn thrust washers...
I'm stunned at just how strong it runs as the cylinder is quite worn , especially below the exhaust port and on the exhaust port bridge

These bikes shift really easy when the trans is in good shape.
Bent shift shaft maybe? You can replace that one without splitting the cases and its a relatively cheap part. if it still shifts poorly you probably should consider splitting the cases and replacing shift forks.
PJRAUS
5/3/2017 1:16am
PJRAUS wrote:
Well I rode the bike for the first time at a club day on the weekend. It ran fantastic although it was very reluctant to shift...

Skerby wrote:
These bikes shift really easy when the trans is in good shape. Bent shift shaft maybe? You can replace that one without splitting the cases and...
These bikes shift really easy when the trans is in good shape.
Bent shift shaft maybe? You can replace that one without splitting the cases and its a relatively cheap part. if it still shifts poorly you probably should consider splitting the cases and replacing shift forks.
I probably should have removed the shift shaft and inspected it when I replaced the shift drum stopper yesterday, didn't think of it! So thanks, I will do that before I ride it next.
How does the shift shaft usually get bent? Taking a hit on the gear lever or something else?
Shift lever looks original but undamaged

Post a reply to: 2006 YZ125 from Canada... Eh?

The Latest