2006 RM250

Edited Date/Time 8/27/2020 2:48pm
So I bought this bike that had approximately 15-20hrs on it from the original owner earlier this year. It was 100% stock. Kept it that way and put around 25-30hrs on it (only thing changed were Pro Circuit Link, new tires, grips and number plates graphics). Now its time for a refresh on some things. Here is how the bike was originally purchased. Dropped off the motor and suspension. Will do some cleaning and update later.

Heres the teardown

|
sandman768
8/28/2019 3:51pm
Always nice to start with a clean low hr stock bike....looks good
8/29/2019 12:59pm
yz133rider wrote:
Engine and suspension at pro circuit?
I normally would but wanted to try something different this time. Went Shock Therapy for suspension and AHM for motor. Both companies have personal experience with the same bike, so that was a deciding factor for me.
40ozhero
9/1/2019 10:24pm
yz133rider wrote:
Engine and suspension at pro circuit?
I normally would but wanted to try something different this time. Went Shock Therapy for suspension and AHM for motor. Both companies have personal experience with...
I normally would but wanted to try something different this time. Went Shock Therapy for suspension and AHM for motor. Both companies have personal experience with the same bike, so that was a deciding factor for me.
Nice find! I have some left over miscellaneous parts I might sell but also might buy another RM250 this week

The Shop

9/1/2019 10:57pm
40ozhero wrote:
Nice find! I have some left over miscellaneous parts I might sell but also might buy another RM250 this week
What type of "miscellaneous parts" ? haha
9/1/2019 11:18pm
Got pretty much all of the nuts/bolts and random parts cleaned up today. Also, went through all the bearings and regreased the linkage and swingarm! Few more things to clean..

H4L
9/2/2019 12:27am Edited Date/Time 9/2/2019 12:30am
Hey Charles.
Nice build you have going. Did the bike come with the PC link when you purchased it or did you add it ?
Did it help calm down the nervousness of the chassis ?
Asking since one of the RM’s main achilles is the stability of the chassis. At higher speeds it is very nervous & sketchy in comparison to the YZ & CR.
Have an 06 as well & been contemplating picking one up if the link actually does help & is not just a bandaid fix that masks the issue.
40ozhero
9/2/2019 10:46am
40ozhero wrote:
Think I have a set of fastway footpegs, a works skidplate, original team Escondido cycle center graphics kit, stock wheels, most the other parts got pillaged through
9/2/2019 10:49am
H4L wrote:
Hey Charles. Nice build you have going. Did the bike come with the PC link when you purchased it or did you add it ? Did...
Hey Charles.
Nice build you have going. Did the bike come with the PC link when you purchased it or did you add it ?
Did it help calm down the nervousness of the chassis ?
Asking since one of the RM’s main achilles is the stability of the chassis. At higher speeds it is very nervous & sketchy in comparison to the YZ & CR.
Have an 06 as well & been contemplating picking one up if the link actually does help & is not just a bandaid fix that masks the issue.
Thanks! I bought the link afterwards. I can personally feel it the most when coming into a corner, it feels real planted and predicatable. On the straights it is not as twitchy. Almost as stable as the CR. The response after a jump is much more plush as well. Since this is my main bike right now, I would say it is necessary.
H4L
9/2/2019 3:56pm Edited Date/Time 9/2/2019 6:20pm
Thanks! I bought the link afterwards. I can personally feel it the most when coming into a corner, it feels real planted and predicatable. On the...
Thanks! I bought the link afterwards. I can personally feel it the most when coming into a corner, it feels real planted and predicatable. On the straights it is not as twitchy. Almost as stable as the CR. The response after a jump is much more plush as well. Since this is my main bike right now, I would say it is necessary.
Thnxz for the feedback. Almost as stable as the CR would be a lot better than what it feels like with the oem link.
I checked a few months ago on PC’s website & they still had them available. unfortunately I just checked right now & they’re sold out.
If you end up selling the bike later on I’d be interested in the PC link. Let me know if you would be willing to sell it separately.

Are you keeping the engine stock with a rebuild only or doing any mods. to it ?
9/3/2019 11:33am
H4L wrote:
Thnxz for the feedback. Almost as stable as the CR would be a lot better than what it feels like with the oem link. I checked...
Thnxz for the feedback. Almost as stable as the CR would be a lot better than what it feels like with the oem link.
I checked a few months ago on PC’s website & they still had them available. unfortunately I just checked right now & they’re sold out.
If you end up selling the bike later on I’d be interested in the PC link. Let me know if you would be willing to sell it separately.

Are you keeping the engine stock with a rebuild only or doing any mods. to it ?
Here is a side by side comparison of the 2 links. Slighlty longer is better, right? haha GrinningTongue For the engine, it is going to get a port n polish and some light head work. Not trying to make crazy power (It has enough already), I want easier/ more usable power instead.

9/3/2019 5:17pm
Planning on using the rubberized grip tape on the frame rails but I wanted to clean up the "worn off" paint first (even though you wont see it after the grip is stuck on). I would say it came out decent but I am not an expert on this and maybe should have prepped it better.. I prepped the frame by sanding it down just a little bit but it left some weird spots. Frame rails came out perfect though. Here are the before and after photos. Not the greatest of photos, I know.. Tongue

H4L
9/3/2019 6:39pm
Here is a side by side comparison of the 2 links. Slighlty longer is better, right? haha :lol: :P For the engine, it is going to...
Here is a side by side comparison of the 2 links. Slighlty longer is better, right? haha GrinningTongue For the engine, it is going to get a port n polish and some light head work. Not trying to make crazy power (It has enough already), I want easier/ more usable power instead.

Hmmm..
That’s why I didn’t purchase one as I was skeptical it would fix the chassis issue with just a link, but willing to try it out.
I’ve never ran one as I never felt the need in any previous bikes owned. Thnxz..
davermz450
9/3/2019 8:19pm
40ozhero wrote:
40ozhero wrote:
Think I have a set of fastway footpegs, a works skidplate, original team Escondido cycle center graphics kit, stock wheels, most the other parts got pillaged...
Think I have a set of fastway footpegs, a works skidplate, original team Escondido cycle center graphics kit, stock wheels, most the other parts got pillaged through
how much for the stock wheels? I might be interested
mxracer666
9/3/2019 8:57pm
In response to the Pro Circuit link question: It does calm down the twitchy feel of the bike, But also drop the forks as far as possible in the clamps, and make sure the fork springs are not too soft for your weight. It still seems to turn well, But quite a bit more stable. It is still an RM tho, and will never handle like a Honda! (I have both) I'd rate the link as a "must have" , if you enjoy the RM ! FYI: the same link fits all the Suzuki's of that era - 125 thru RMZ450. They are all the same part number. If you're searching for a used one, this may open up your options.
40ozhero
9/4/2019 1:46am
40ozhero wrote:
Think I have a set of fastway footpegs, a works skidplate, original team Escondido cycle center graphics kit, stock wheels, most the other parts got pillaged...
davermz450 wrote:
how much for the stock wheels? I might be interested
I honestly don’t even know what they go for but I do have a set
9/7/2019 11:59pm
Got the engine, carb and suspension back.

Here is the old piston. Not sure if this is considered "good" or "bad", has roughly 45-50hrs on it.

9/8/2019 12:11am Edited Date/Time 9/8/2019 12:12am
Starting to put it all together now..

Airbox cleaned up and subframe mounted with new rear fender. As far as I got today. Still have some cleaning and detailing to do..

9/15/2019 12:24am Edited Date/Time 9/15/2019 12:27am
Some parts list and goodies going on the bike. New plastics, blue CV4 hoses, Hinson Clutch Basket..

Random OEM stuff like hoses, rear axle nut, gaskets, etc..

Pro Circuit Clutch Perch with the white rubber boot..

Seat before and after..

Little random stuff..

Chain and Sprockets

Graphics. Time to put it all together!

Chance1216
9/15/2019 5:40pm
Carbon fiber exhaust mounts. Turbo Jez?
I grabbed a set from him for my CR. Nice pieces for sure.
9/15/2019 10:09pm
Yup, carbon mounts from Turbojez. Laughing

Found a set of RG3 triple clamps! I’ll probably run stock clamps for a little while before switching them out.

9/22/2019 1:45pm
All buttoned up. Wanted to take "proper" photos someplace else but didn't have time.. Wanted to ride this weekend so these will have to do!

Forgot to mention I got a new kick starter.

New axle nut and washer! Its the little things..haha

All new vent tubes/hoses and new gas line.

Woot, Lets ride!

sandman768
9/22/2019 2:58pm
Great job! Me thinks a raw PC or Bills pipe would finish it off nicely 👍
9/23/2019 11:24am
sandman768 wrote:
Great job! Me thinks a raw PC or Bills pipe would finish it off nicely 👍
My next "phase" is going to be a pipe/silencer and reeds. Then try out the RG3 clamps I have. For the pipe I am most likely going to go chrome finish. I hate having to take care of the raw and I dont think the chrome looks too bad Laughing
PTshox
9/23/2019 10:49pm
Nice!

The longer pull rod will soften the shock feel by giving you more leverage on it. It's amazing how just a little bit longer has a big impact on the feel. 1-2 mm I can notice. I bought a Devol adjustable one and you can really tell when you move from one setting to another.
6/9/2020 11:50am
Just a small-ish update.

Put PC pipe and silencer, Vforce reeds, Boyessen Powerwing, Oversize front rotor, and RG3 Clamps/Diamond Kit!

I think that should hold me over for a bit Laughing

Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1089th
6/15/2020 9:24am
Just a small-ish update. Put PC pipe and silencer, Vforce reeds, Boyessen Powerwing, Oversize front rotor, and RG3 Clamps/Diamond Kit! I think that should hold me...
Just a small-ish update.

Put PC pipe and silencer, Vforce reeds, Boyessen Powerwing, Oversize front rotor, and RG3 Clamps/Diamond Kit!

Those coatings are "fire" Love it!
JWACK
8/25/2020 6:03pm
Just a small-ish update. Put PC pipe and silencer, Vforce reeds, Boyessen Powerwing, Oversize front rotor, and RG3 Clamps/Diamond Kit! I think that should hold me...
Just a small-ish update.

How much did the suspension cost you? How are you liking it? I have only ridden a buddy’s bike with rg3 and it was horrendous so I’m scared to give them a shot. I would think that since they were involved with the factory team on these bikes that they Have great settings.

Post a reply to: 2006 RM250

The Latest