[FINISHED] ‘06 CR250 Factory Honda Build

jonahdru222
Edited Date/Time 8/19/2018 5:00pm
Hey guys. I'm a little late on doing this as I'm already at the last step (waiting on suspension) but I figured I could still do a step by step of how this went. Hopefully I took enough pics to tell the story. Not really sure how the formatting will be so be patient with me (popping my vital build cherry). My scope of work is trying to get this thing to look a modern version of the 05/06 Factory Honda bikes without spending more money than i’d spend buying a brand new bike. I’m cutting a few corners because i plan on actually riding it rather than keeping in a showcase and would rather not mess up a one-off factory part.

Here is how I got her. She had "12 hours on the reframe" but that was definite BS. I rode it once and it just felt sloppy so I immediately framed it.

My first step was bearing and seal replacement on the whole bike. Along with scuffing the hard parts.

|
jonahdru222
4/4/2018 2:55pm Edited Date/Time 4/4/2018 3:13pm

I skipped a few steps in the pics. I cleaned and scuffed the frame with the stuff Cameron N. uses on youtube. such a great finished product. for some reason it didnt really work on the engine cases. It left a dark residue throughout, so i just scuffed and scuffed and scuffed. You see the finished product. i took most of the visible bolts off of this bike and polished them individually. it was at this moment that i realized the time and effort put into these builds cannot be reflected by any dollar amount. I didnt take a pic of the other side because im going to get the Boyesen cover stripped and scuffed as well since the powdercoat is worn on it.

jonahdru222
4/4/2018 2:57pm Edited Date/Time 4/4/2018 3:00pm

Next I broke the carb down and cleaned it and reset the float level. Going to be putting it on the dyno as soon as I get it put back together and have it jetted and tuned for the PC pipe. I'm waiting on the plastic renew kit and ill use that on the airbox. Went ahead and replaced the mudflap.
jonahdru222
4/4/2018 4:05pm Edited Date/Time 4/4/2018 4:07pm

next was standing the clear anodize off the swing arm. Would not recommend doing this in the slightest bit. Tried to take it to the shop to get stripped but the bearings were already installed and you can’t put steel in the bath. I also tried oven cleaner and it didn’t work. Probably bought the wrong kind but it’s all water under the bridge. Also took apart both brake calipers and replaced seals and sanded pistons and slider bolts.

The Shop

macz400
4/4/2018 4:42pm Edited Date/Time 4/4/2018 4:43pm
macz400 wrote:
I got quite a few nice parts for a CR if interested let me know. Robinmac82@yahoo.com looking good so far!
dylanv21 wrote:
What kind of parts do you have?
Dubya wheels, Ride Engineering triple clamps, CRF stuff 270mm rotor kit, CRF stuff Ti pegs, WC elite perch setup, complete seat with throttle jockey cover with ripples, ride engineering triples clamps for the bigger 48 and 49mm forks, carbon fiber chain guard.
Mx746
4/4/2018 5:55pm
Shrouds rub on the frame on these bikes. Mine was the same, nice deep gouges both sides.
jonahdru222
4/4/2018 6:34pm
Mx746 wrote:
Shrouds rub on the frame on these bikes. Mine was the same, nice deep gouges both sides.
i’m guessing the guy before me didn’t like that very much and filled in the rub marks with welds. it looks pretty good, i’d rather that than gouge marks on it.
jonahdru222
4/4/2018 6:44pm

Here are a few of the parts that will be going on the bike. i guess i forgot to mention that pretty much every part that was taken off was taken apart, cleaned, scuffed, and/or greased. i figured that could go without mentioning but i don’t want people to think i half assed it haha. Currently waiting on plastics/graphics/seat cover, pipe, triple clamps, and pegs to come in. Getting tired of waiting.
tsmitty2661
4/5/2018 3:57am
That cameron guy has been crushing it with his stuff, definitely using his methods in the future. Bike is looking super clean so far! Have been trying to find a cheaper cr250 to clean up as well. Also waiting on the cr restyle kit too, getting anxious
jonahdru222
4/5/2018 5:23am
That cameron guy has been crushing it with his stuff, definitely using his methods in the future. Bike is looking super clean so far! Have been...
That cameron guy has been crushing it with his stuff, definitely using his methods in the future. Bike is looking super clean so far! Have been trying to find a cheaper cr250 to clean up as well. Also waiting on the cr restyle kit too, getting anxious
i opted out of the full restyle kit. i like the older look with the exception of the front end. i’m going to do the ‘13-16 Honda look on the front.
tsmitty2661
4/5/2018 5:32am
That cameron guy has been crushing it with his stuff, definitely using his methods in the future. Bike is looking super clean so far! Have been...
i opted out of the full restyle kit. i like the older look with the exception of the front end. i’m going to do the ‘13-16...
i opted out of the full restyle kit. i like the older look with the exception of the front end. i’m going to do the ‘13-16 Honda look on the front.
At first i wasnt too impressed but it will give me an excuse to mix the stock look up. I also came across this which pretty much made me want it, the stuff polisport posted made the kit look lame. You could wait for the polisport stuff to be available and just buy the front plate and fender so you dont need to modify the 13-16 stuff

jonahdru222
4/5/2018 5:39am Edited Date/Time 4/5/2018 11:02am
i opted out of the full restyle kit. i like the older look with the exception of the front end. i’m going to do the ‘13-16...
At first i wasnt too impressed but it will give me an excuse to mix the stock look up. I also came across this which pretty...
At first i wasnt too impressed but it will give me an excuse to mix the stock look up. I also came across this which pretty much made me want it, the stuff polisport posted made the kit look lame. You could wait for the polisport stuff to be available and just buy the front plate and fender so you dont need to modify the 13-16 stuff

ive got applied making me a set of 09-18 450 clamps to match my fork bore so i don’t have to modify the plastics.
zac_k3
4/5/2018 7:20pm
What process did you use on the cases? I watch Cameron’s videos on YouTube but don’t remember any videos on cleaning the engine.
jonahdru222
4/5/2018 7:53pm
zac_k3 wrote:
What process did you use on the cases? I watch Cameron’s videos on YouTube but don’t remember any videos on cleaning the engine.
just degreaser and maroon scotchbrite. lots and lots and lots of scrubbing. for the tight spaces i used a scuffball on a power drill. most of the engine parts are cast so i thought the mag wheel cleaner would work- and it did for the most part but it left a dark residue, then i used a degreaser to finish.
dylanv21
4/10/2018 9:50am
macz400 wrote:
I got quite a few nice parts for a CR if interested let me know. Robinmac82@yahoo.com looking good so far!
dylanv21 wrote:
What kind of parts do you have?
macz400 wrote:
Dubya wheels, Ride Engineering triple clamps, CRF stuff 270mm rotor kit, CRF stuff Ti pegs, WC elite perch setup, complete seat with throttle jockey cover with...
Dubya wheels, Ride Engineering triple clamps, CRF stuff 270mm rotor kit, CRF stuff Ti pegs, WC elite perch setup, complete seat with throttle jockey cover with ripples, ride engineering triples clamps for the bigger 48 and 49mm forks, carbon fiber chain guard.
Shoot me a text dude. I may be interested in some of those parts. 559-301-7491
jonahdru222
4/11/2018 9:14am
got the clutch cover stripped. not satisfied with the finish yet, going to scuff it up a bit more. got all the rest of the parts in but still waiting on suspension and graphics

jonahdru222
4/11/2018 7:02pm
does anyone know how to get the pipe silver like this? works pipes typically have the heat lines from the welds and the rest of the pipe is darker but it looks like the factory guys got rid of most of it and got them looking trick and silver. any help?

Hondas4Life3
4/14/2018 9:19pm Edited Date/Time 4/14/2018 9:21pm
does anyone know how to get the pipe silver like this? works pipes typically have the heat lines from the welds and the rest of the...
does anyone know how to get the pipe silver like this? works pipes typically have the heat lines from the welds and the rest of the pipe is darker but it looks like the factory guys got rid of most of it and got them looking trick and silver. any help?

A fine wire wheel. Im pretty sure they did this to the pipe sections before they were welded together. Production pipes are left raw and not shined up before they're welded.
jonahdru222
5/3/2018 9:10am
sooooooo ready to rip this thing. also just got the Keihin in today from JD Jetting. Will post pics when I install it even though that's not really cool to look at. Ended up getting the short body for peace of mind.
macz400
5/3/2018 6:22pm
Turned out awesome! Love the Woody graphics
Lightning78
5/4/2018 1:44pm
sooooooo ready to rip this thing. also just got the Keihin in today from JD Jetting. Will post pics when I install it even though that's...
sooooooo ready to rip this thing. also just got the Keihin in today from JD Jetting. Will post pics when I install it even though that's not really cool to look at. Ended up getting the short body for peace of mind.
Soooooooooooo I am just slightly confused on why you made the custom clamps.....

Did you have them made strictly for the plastics to bolt up from the newer CRF's or are you planning on using a different set of forks?

Ill bet these newer "A-Kit" replica style forks that came on the 2018 CRF450's would be sooooo sweet to run on these last gen CR 2 strokes.

I for one would really like to know the upper tube outer diameters as compared to the 47mm showa twin chamber spring forks that were used from 1997/1998- up ....with the last real generation being on the 2002-2008 CR/CRF's
jonahdru222
5/4/2018 1:59pm
Soooooooooooo I am just slightly confused on why you made the custom clamps..... Did you have them made strictly for the plastics to bolt up from...
Soooooooooooo I am just slightly confused on why you made the custom clamps.....

Did you have them made strictly for the plastics to bolt up from the newer CRF's or are you planning on using a different set of forks?

Ill bet these newer "A-Kit" replica style forks that came on the 2018 CRF450's would be sooooo sweet to run on these last gen CR 2 strokes.

I for one would really like to know the upper tube outer diameters as compared to the 47mm showa twin chamber spring forks that were used from 1997/1998- up ....with the last real generation being on the 2002-2008 CR/CRF's
i made “custom clamps” because yes, i wanted the newer style front end plastics and i wanted a different offset, but also if i ever did want to upgrade to the bigger forks i would just have to bore out the clamps, which i can do in our machine shop. it was only $90 extra to have the clamps made to fit 47mm forks. plus, who doesn’t like red clamps?!
Lightning78
5/4/2018 8:25pm
i made “custom clamps” because yes, i wanted the newer style front end plastics and i wanted a different offset, but also if i ever did...
i made “custom clamps” because yes, i wanted the newer style front end plastics and i wanted a different offset, but also if i ever did want to upgrade to the bigger forks i would just have to bore out the clamps, which i can do in our machine shop. it was only $90 extra to have the clamps made to fit 47mm forks. plus, who doesn’t like red clamps?!
Thats AWESOME!! thank you for clarifying that for me. Im looking at putting 2006-up YZ KYB SSS forks on my 2003 KX250 which uses the same forks the 2004 YZ' used which I believe can take the newer forks w/o a triple clamp change....hance since my 03 KX250 uses the same forks as the 04 YZ's, by deduction I should be able to slide in the KYB SSS forks into my 03 KX250 clamps w/o needing to change them. I dont want to change them for fear of it changing the feel/rigity of the bike which ive experienced before.
jmc2
Fantasy
1626th
5/5/2018 4:06pm
Good looking scooter, well done.
AxelC43
5/7/2018 1:01pm
Awesome build where did you get the renthal grip covers.

Post a reply to: [FINISHED] ‘06 CR250 Factory Honda Build

The Latest