2006 CR125 Budget Frame Up Rebuild

Jordan Dogtown
Fantasy
932nd
Edited Date/Time 4/26/2017 7:04am
Vital,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've logged plenty of hours in the build section over the past few months and borrowed inpsiriation from some killer builds. I thought I would offer mine up to hopefully inspire some "middle ground" builds, halfway between fresh barn finds and a replica race bike.

I've been without a dirtbike for about 10 years now, spending most of that time on streetbikes and woodworking. I had an undisclosed amount of money (less than 5k) saved to buy my "dream" table saw, which coincidentally is about the same price of my dream dirtbike. What can I say, I guess I have expensive taste when it comes to power tools, and too easily satisfied when it comes to dirtbikes.

My last real/new bike was a shiny, loud mouth, fire breathing (completely stock) 2006 CRF250R. For whatever reason, I completely fell in love with that bike from the front fender to the dual exhaust. I shimmed the valves once, but after a few years of wrestling with it, I decided my next dirtbike would be a more frugal yet equally obnoxious two stroke. I wanted to find something from that same era, and happened to be in the right place at the right time.
Enter, the crustiest bucket of bolts I have ever seen... so far:

Purchased exactly like this (I had to provide my own box) for $400 off craigslist. Rode hard, put up wet, and the only fluids this poor bike had ever seen were cheap gas and cheap beer.

All it "needed" was "replating the head", which was true if I wanted a very greasy boat anchor. The motor needed a new cylinder, full clutch, BOTH side cases, crank, bearings, and reed cage. The only thing usable was the stator, which was still marginal at best. Every piece of rubber or plastic was dry rotted or broken, bearings hadn't spun in years, no oil in the forks or shock, and such a large amount of rust that made me question whether or not this was an aluminum frame dirtbike at all.

(Note: Who spray paints a swingarm? Me and my knuckles are still salty about that.)

|
Jordan Dogtown
Fantasy
932nd
4/11/2017 10:17am
I tallied up the parts to rebuild the motor and all the JB Welded spots on the cases and decided it would be cheaper to buy a used motor which is actually not too hard to find. Picked up this beauty with carb, CDI, wiring harness, two new clutches, and throttle cable for $800 shipped. It was built for a quad frame for a kid to race, included receipts of the full rebuild, and was claimed to have about 5 hours on it. Entire motor was blasted and cleaned. I know I took the "easy way out" with this approach, but now I have one very decent motor and half a one for parts.

Scraped off the rest of the red spray paint, acid washed the frame, and finished with some green scotch brite pads and aluminum polish. It ended up a little too "chrome" for my taste, so I eventually redid the process but left out the aluminum polish.

Jordan Dogtown
Fantasy
932nd
4/11/2017 11:07am
Next up was repairing the swingarm where the chain had wore through the guide, probably in 2007, and hadn't been replaced. It's not pretty, but the guy offered to weld it for free so I went with it. I used a dremel to grind it back just enough so the seal would fit. Packed it full of grease and it should work just fine (famous last words?)

Linkage was a nightmare. Every piece was seized, and took every trick in the book to get them out. Overall about a week's worth of evenings but nothing was damaged so I sandblasted and acid washed it along with the frame.

The wheels were probably my biggest concern other than the motor for keeping this thing under budget. The stock wheels were just as badly neglected as the rest of the bike. Instead of prepping and rebuilding them, I went with the Tusk Impact wheel set. I'm not that concerned with weight, and the price was just too good to pass up. Threw on some matching Tusk disks ($60) and finally had a roller.

JWACK
4/11/2017 11:11am
I don't think I've ever seen a front tire that bald and being ridden on! Impressive! Good work. it's almost back to life!
Jordan Dogtown
Fantasy
932nd
4/11/2017 11:23am
I wrestled for a few weeks about the GPI/Ebay/China radiators before pulling the trigger. I really like sticking with OEM whenever sensible, but everything I heard/read about these seemed to be pretty positive. Aftermarket hoses all lined up, mounts were near perfect, and no leaks so far. Picked up a PC Platinum 2 exhaust, R304 silencer and a new OEM airbox. The original had holes in all the wrong places from years of water/who knows what pooling at the bottom.

Tore down both master cylinders/calipers, acid washed, and rebuild with new springs, seals, and hardware.

Cleaned/sanded the brake pedal and added a few holes for a "little better than stock" look.

The Shop

Jordan Dogtown
Fantasy
932nd
4/11/2017 11:44am
The final step was just a matter of bolting on the finishing touches. All new plastic, graphics courtesy of Throttle Jockey, SDG seat (perfect fit and feel, no complaints), Renthal bars, ASV levers, Fastway Evo III pegs (not pictured), Streamline braided brake lines, and steel sprockets/ORing chain from Primary Drive for a whopping $70.

I know this particular dirtbike is considered just a glorified pitbike to some, but I am completely satisfied with it. It's loud, fast (enough), and has all the bells and whistles I wanted while I was growing up but couldn't afford. In all honesty, I could have just as much fun on an old XR100 as a new 450. Maybe I'm an idiot, or maybe I just really love anything with a motor and wheels. My first trip down the street on this I was grinning from ear to ear. I plan on riding it exactly as hard as it's meant to be ridden for a few years, then parking it in the workshop until it's a pretty cool VMXer.

jd418
Fantasy
2689th
4/11/2017 12:37pm
Awesome build. TJ definitely has the best graphics options for CR's. I'm just waiting on my set and I'll be finished with my 250 build.
4/11/2017 4:11pm Edited Date/Time 4/11/2017 4:11pm
Can you explain to me what sand blasting is, and what products and equipment is used? im having trouble translating it to norwegian, i want to do it to my bike also. Smile
very nice bike!
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
4/11/2017 6:36pm
Nice work!

Not sure I'd call this a " budget" build- you definitely stuck some coin into this build, but well worth it!
4/11/2017 6:53pm
Wow that turned out great!!!! TJ graphics are the best out there IMO.

Almost everything is how I would have done it. It looks like a 125 version of my 250f.
yjgfikl
4/11/2017 9:24pm
Dude this is awesome. What was the total cost and time it took for you to do this? Currently doing one of my own and it's quite expensive and time consuming.
Jordan Dogtown
Fantasy
932nd
4/12/2017 5:30am
rippinruts wrote:
Can you explain to me what sand blasting is, and what products and equipment is used? im having trouble translating it to norwegian, i want to...
Can you explain to me what sand blasting is, and what products and equipment is used? im having trouble translating it to norwegian, i want to do it to my bike also. Smile
very nice bike!
It's just compressed air spraying a very fine sand/powder/abrasive through a nozzle. I'm sure there's a better way to word it. I used this cheap Harbor Freight version and it worked pretty well.

Jordan Dogtown
Fantasy
932nd
4/12/2017 5:37am
yjgfikl wrote:
Dude this is awesome. What was the total cost and time it took for you to do this? Currently doing one of my own and it's...
Dude this is awesome. What was the total cost and time it took for you to do this? Currently doing one of my own and it's quite expensive and time consuming.
Thanks man! It's definitely not cheap but as far as a full frame up rebuild goes, I think it was a lot cheaper than it could have been. It also helps if you have a little chunk saved up prior to starting the build.

I spent somewhere between $3-4k on bike, motor, parts, and some gear. It's alot for a 125 but literally everything was replaced except the gas tank, brake pedal, and killswitch. I knew I wouldn't sell it and I already had the money set aside for something else so it made it worth it to me.

Also, I bought everything that I could from Rocky Mountain, since I'm just about 20 minutes from the KY warehouse. Overall I got probably $600 or more in RM cash so that really helped too.
TJMX947
4/12/2017 7:05am
Love this build. I had a 2002 CR125 that I cut my teeth on. Rode it for the 2004 season then sold it that fall and got a 2005 YZ250F. Although you spent 3 - 4k on it this bike is practically brand new and it looks great!
Jordan Dogtown
Fantasy
932nd
4/25/2017 8:31am
Quick update.

Really didn't want to spend money rebuilding the shock that came on it since it was from an older 450 and about 10mm too short. Would have been about 400 for everything, but instead found a sweet deal on a CR250 shock already revalved by FC for 180 shipped. Already setup close enough to my weight/riding so I'm going to try it out this summer.

Forks look okay (fingers crossed) so I've got new springs and SKF seals to rebuild them after the PO's setup.

GregDVT
4/25/2017 9:51am
I hope no one ever rode it with that cracked throttle assembly, that is horrifying.
4/26/2017 1:14am Edited Date/Time 4/26/2017 1:15am
Nice shock! What year is it from? And have you swapped out the forks also, or are you going to?
Jordan Dogtown
Fantasy
932nd
4/26/2017 7:04am
rippinruts wrote:
Nice shock! What year is it from? And have you swapped out the forks also, or are you going to?
Thanks! I was pumped. According to the seller it's from an 03 CR250. Everything lined up and fit perfect.

I would like to swap the forks but honestly for the money, these will be plenty for me. I'll rebuild them with correct springs and try them out this summer. If for some reason they're just terrible, I may try to find a more modern set to throw in there.

I'm in the process of selling my CB750 in hopes to start a XR650 scrambler build so this bike will be ridden as is for a little while.
DerickYZ
4/30/2017 6:10pm
Thanks! I was pumped. According to the seller it's from an 03 CR250. Everything lined up and fit perfect. I would like to swap the forks...
Thanks! I was pumped. According to the seller it's from an 03 CR250. Everything lined up and fit perfect.

I would like to swap the forks but honestly for the money, these will be plenty for me. I'll rebuild them with correct springs and try them out this summer. If for some reason they're just terrible, I may try to find a more modern set to throw in there.

I'm in the process of selling my CB750 in hopes to start a XR650 scrambler build so this bike will be ridden as is for a little while.
I have a 2003 CR125 with a 134 kit. Absolute the most fun I've ever had on a bike. It isn't a YZ but I don't care to be honest. These CR's have a special feel of being in the cockpit, I find it very cozy and "at home." Yeah you have to work a little harder to get the power on, but hey, its a 125!

For the forks, have you tried different oil weight and height? I set my height to 100ml and ran 2.5wt (I believe, I'll have to double check). Try messing with the clickers as well.

Nice bike!
jaredtebo17
Fantasy
2008th
4/30/2017 8:40pm
Roll those bars back some, at least run them at the same angle as the forks. I run mine just a touch more rolled back that the fork angle. You have no control with them rolled forward like that, the sweep of the bars is not how they were designed. Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to give a helpful tip that will make the bike feel much better. Nice job on the bike.
Jordan Dogtown
Fantasy
932nd
5/1/2017 6:17am
Roll those bars back some, at least run them at the same angle as the forks. I run mine just a touch more rolled back that...
Roll those bars back some, at least run them at the same angle as the forks. I run mine just a touch more rolled back that the fork angle. You have no control with them rolled forward like that, the sweep of the bars is not how they were designed. Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to give a helpful tip that will make the bike feel much better. Nice job on the bike.
Thanks for the heads up! I honestly haven't ridden more than half a mile down my street so the bars/levers/pegs all probably need a little tweaking. I'm rebuilding the forks this week then it's show time.
TPA-MX
8/1/2017 7:14pm
Great build thread, nice Step by step
wsc96
Fantasy
474th
8/2/2017 11:49am
I notice you're running the Fastway pegs in the high position (rather than lowboy) any particular reason why or just don't need the extra room? Also, how did you run the cleats? Bike looks great.
8/2/2017 7:47pm
You really brought this thing back from the dead and I'll bet its gonna be a blast to ride.
Jordan Dogtown
Fantasy
932nd
8/3/2017 5:42am
wsc96 wrote:
I notice you're running the Fastway pegs in the high position (rather than lowboy) any particular reason why or just don't need the extra room? Also...
I notice you're running the Fastway pegs in the high position (rather than lowboy) any particular reason why or just don't need the extra room? Also, how did you run the cleats? Bike looks great.
I actually started out with the lowboy and didn't really dig them that much, I've got pretty short legs so I ended up feeling a lot better in the standard/high position. As for the cleats, I'm running all shorts except for the outside of the pegs. Feels like I can put a little more pressure through turns.

Disclaimer: That could all just be in my head and make no practical sense at all

Post a reply to: 2006 CR125 Budget Frame Up Rebuild

The Latest