2005 Suzuki RM125 restyle rebuild

Turbojez
Edited Date/Time 4/1/2020 1:12pm
So here it is.
The bike is not yet finished - they never are.
Fox rear shock coming next week.
What makes it different from all other RMs - KYB SSS suspension up front, adapted from a Yamaha, I used Kawasaki triple clamps with RM stem. I made some new steering stops (from an aluminium block bolted to the original steering stops on the frame).
I am after some clutch and ignition covers and a pipe, a rad valve maybe, if you have anything cool you would be willing to part with - let me know.
I would just get my covers cerakoted, but nobody offers this in my area, except from gun shops, which have crazy high prices. Better pics as soon as I get a chance to clean the bike properly Smile

Let me know what you think, took some hours to build it up.

|
Bruce372
3/29/2020 12:02pm
looks really nice Jez, i tried both v-force and rad valve on mine over the years, but in the end I liked the stock reed setup best for both fit, performance and reliability.

Does seem strange seeing KYB stickers, i can remember RM250s running KYB and the 125s ran showas back to the first 2002 I bought.

Digging the gold rims as well.

Bravo!!!!
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2362nd
3/30/2020 7:02pm
Can you go into more detail regarding the forks? Which is clamps? Dis you use a yamaha hub and spacers?
Turbojez
3/31/2020 5:21pm
Can you go into more detail regarding the forks? Which is clamps? Dis you use a yamaha hub and spacers?
Hey mate, those are 2008 yzf 250 (or 450, can't remember) forks, which had the upper tubes replaced with a newer yamaha tubes (as I needed 54mm in the upper clamping area). This allowed me to use either RM axle and wheel (with one standard, and one shortened spacer) or yamaha fron wheel and axle. Kawasaki triple clamps with RM stem pressed in. A spacer needed to be added under the lower steering stem bearings. It also required a custom steering stop, which I mounted to the original steering stops on the frame head. I will post some more detailed pics shortly. Lugs and upper tubes anodised, lower tubes TiN coated to a dark red/blackish color.

The Shop

Turbojez
3/31/2020 5:31pm
Shock showed up. It is a KXF shock but I've used KXF shocks in the past on my RMs (WP trax an Ohlins) so I cannot see a reason why this one wouldn't fit.
Any experiences with fox podium RC3 shocks?

crc245
3/31/2020 10:01pm Edited Date/Time 3/31/2020 10:08pm
Podium RC3's are good; quality piece that's quite tunable. Lots of engineering went into them. Shouldn't have a problem going from Kawi to Suzuki, as you know. Baseline on the clickers is 12 across the board (even the HS has clicks which is a nice touch) of 24 total clicks, and the Bottom Out Control (BOC) adjuster with the green ano accents is another great feature - you can basically firm up the feel in the last third of travel with it. Out of the box with Fox specs, we always ended up around 14-18 on the BOC for more outdoor riding, and 10-14 on the traditional adjustments. Set the sag and go.

Great build, please keep us updated!

Post a reply to: 2005 Suzuki RM125 restyle rebuild

The Latest