2005 RM125 build (2nd time)

liamjumper
Edited Date/Time 11/28/2018 4:50pm
Thought I’d share with you guys my RM125 build I’m doing for the second time. Bought the bike about 5 years ago and shortly after started the build. I was 15 or 16 at the time and didn’t have a ton of knowledge or wrenching skills. The bike looked great but wasn’t built to the quality that I was wanting. Ended up having some problems with the bike, bought an RM250 the same year, put most of the trick parts on it and then ended up selling that bike. Since then I’ve had the same 125 sitting in my garage with no purpose.

The girlfriend wanted to upgrade her bike from her crf150 to a 125 and found her an 06 Rm 125 for a good deal. Took it out for a spin with my buddy and decided I couldn’t let mine sit any longer.
|
liamjumper
11/26/2018 11:02pm
Planning on keeping the motor nearly all stock. Put a fresh bottom end it it with a hot rods crank. Last time the bike ran the grounding electrode broke off the spark plug so that pooched the piston and cylinder head. Ordered a new OEM cylinder head and a vertex std bore top end kit. Sent the cylinder away to get freshley replated so the motor should be nice and fresh all the way through.

Currently have most parts stripped off the bike, getting them ready for paint and cerakote. (Brake calipers/mounts/ master cylinders, engine covers, triple clamps etc.
liamjumper
11/26/2018 11:05pm
Took apart the wheels tonight. Going to get them painted since surprisingly they’re still perfectly straight without any dents on them.
liamjumper
11/26/2018 11:08pm
What the bike looked like after the first build. Not so much a fan of the cut side plates, not going to do that this time around. But still looked pretty good

The Shop

brody
11/27/2018 7:52am Edited Date/Time 11/27/2018 7:54am
looked good the first time, the cut side plates look ok.
that year bike and upwards has the best plastics of any 125 ever.

on suspension for that bike i would look at the enzo sub tanks, there a awesome up grade form stock
liamjumper
11/27/2018 7:55am
brody wrote:
looked good the first time, the cut side plates look ok. that year bike and upwards has the best plastics of any 125 ever. on suspension...

on suspension for that bike i would look at the enzo sub tanks, there a awesome up grade form stock
I’ve heard about those but I’ve never looked into them. What’s the deal with them?
11/27/2018 9:47am
brody wrote:
looked good the first time, the cut side plates look ok. that year bike and upwards has the best plastics of any 125 ever. on suspension...

liamjumper wrote:
I’ve heard about those but I’ve never looked into them. What’s the deal with them?
x2 on the subtanks from my experience. Race Tech Gold Valves and FCR subtanks and my forks are 90% as good as my WP cone valves on my KTM. Very supple and yet great bottoming resistance.

liamjumper
11/27/2018 9:57am
brody wrote:

liamjumper wrote:
x2 on the subtanks from my experience. Race Tech Gold Valves and FCR subtanks and my forks are 90% as good as my WP cone valves...
x2 on the subtanks from my experience. Race Tech Gold Valves and FCR subtanks and my forks are 90% as good as my WP cone valves on my KTM. Very supple and yet great bottoming resistance.

Right on. Definitely something I will be looking into nearing the end of the build.
liamjumper
11/27/2018 9:58am
Took a chance and ordered the DPK clutch kit. Havent really heard anything about it but it seems to have a fair amount of good reviews. Anyone on here have any experience with it?
liamjumper
11/27/2018 10:21am
brody wrote:

liamjumper wrote:
x2 on the subtanks from my experience. Race Tech Gold Valves and FCR subtanks and my forks are 90% as good as my WP cone valves...

Also I’ll take all the tips on suspension I can get. There’s nothing too great around here so wouldn’t mind exploring the options of sending it away.
brody
11/27/2018 10:45am Edited Date/Time 11/27/2018 10:47am
the sub tanks make the braking bumps soft but big jumps the suspension is hard.
enzo does a great job and can valve them.

they feel really good
i would send the suspenison now so it will all be done and you wont be waiting.

i have some tag triples on my bike it turns on a dime

oh and if you find any trick ti parts or anything like that can you post it
i will building my rm soon
liamjumper
11/27/2018 12:21pm
brody wrote:
the sub tanks make the braking bumps soft but big jumps the suspension is hard. enzo does a great job and can valve them. they feel...
the sub tanks make the braking bumps soft but big jumps the suspension is hard.
enzo does a great job and can valve them.

they feel really good
i would send the suspenison now so it will all be done and you wont be waiting.

i have some tag triples on my bike it turns on a dime

oh and if you find any trick ti parts or anything like that can you post it
i will building my rm soon
I’d love to get into all the titanium stuff and all those small details, but I’m hoping to have the build done by February for the last couple rounds of arenacross here as they introduced a 125 class for this year. Don’t think I’d be able to cram a bunch of titanium into the budget for that timeline. Same goes for suspension, might have to stick with what’s on the bike right now until a later date. Will definitely look into those sub tanks:
liamjumper
11/27/2018 12:23pm
Excuse the lack of dirt bike stands as all of mine have either broken or fallen out of the back of the truck on the highway within the last couple months.
brody
11/27/2018 1:47pm
I understand we all dont have the budget to buy all that expenisve stuff
You coud get the revalve and thanks back in a coupel days if you get the timing right.
liamjumper
11/28/2018 9:12am
After some research I’m gunna try and get my hands on some of those sub tanks. Is it worth getting for the rear as well?
brody
11/28/2018 2:53pm
Dont think the have them for rear

As the shock body does the same thing

Enzo has the best tanks
liamjumper
11/28/2018 3:14pm
brody wrote:
Dont think the have them for rear

As the shock body does the same thing

Enzo has the best tanks
FCR makes them for the rear
brody
11/28/2018 4:49pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2018 4:52pm
I would look in that never heard of the subs for rear
I ALSO READ ON THUMPER TALK THAT FCR IS GOING OUT OF BUISNESS

Post a reply to: 2005 RM125 build (2nd time)

The Latest