2005 KLX110 revival

Rickyisms
6/23/2021 10:21pm Edited Date/Time 11/17/2022 7:02pm
Picked up this sweet piece for $200 on Father’s Day. Kicker is locked as of now, which I believe is due to the output shaft. Going to split the cases and refresh worn out components as well as add the 4th gear shift drum and update the output shaft to a stronger unit. Already has a two bros exhaust and pro taper high bars, and I plan to add some other tall guy accessories and do a modern twist to a 90s Kawi

|
Rickyisms
6/23/2021 10:25pm
I was actually planning on repainting the frame and other chassis components until I pressure washed the gunk off, being in the Florida weather uncovered for 6 years really builds up a nice coat. I really don’t believe this bike has much time on it at all, I can’t find almost any wear marks on the frame, don’t know if they’re the original tires but these ones still have the nipples on them. I think I got a diamond in the rough here.

Rickyisms
6/24/2021 12:41pm
That ting looks fresh after the wash.
It's crazy what thirty minutes with the pressure washer did, Lots of oxidation on the engine but the sandblaster will clear that up for me.
hubbardmx50
6/24/2021 6:10pm
Frame is looking cherry! I would just leave it. Excited to follow this build. I’ve had 3-4 klx110’s but never had to do any engine work.

The Shop

Rickyisms
6/24/2021 8:32pm
Frame is looking cherry! I would just leave it. Excited to follow this build. I’ve had 3-4 klx110’s but never had to do any engine work.
I've never even had a pitbike! Stoked to finally get one and be able to make it my own, best of all I'm not having to bum a pitter off someone at the track now!
Rickyisms
7/7/2021 7:49pm
In the chop shop for tear down

Is it really a used bike if you don’t find at least one of these fasteners on it?

I can tell this bike has sat in the last 1-2 hurricanes just by this chain.

Steering was slightly notchy. DIY steering stabilizer?

Remember what I said about sitting out on the last 1-2 hurricanes? This engine mount bolt definitely got the worst of it.

And like any Craigslist basket case, the swingarm bolt is frozen solid. So she sits with one more bolt to be undone before it can be officially “framed”
Rickyisms
7/8/2021 9:33pm
Bike is framed, few fasteners to replace, have to split the cases to figure out why it’s locked up, put a new piston in, add the 4th gear shift drum and anything else it may need. Need to figure out which parts I want to get powder coated or maybe take the cheaper way out and do a good job with a rattle can. Never used it before but I’ve heard it can last if prepped and primed properly. Was thinking of maybe lacing a set of gold wheels for it since I’m going with a retro Kawi look.

FarleyMX25
7/9/2021 4:33am
If you do the spray can be sure to use the 2k clear in a can. If you don’t use the 2k clear your wasting your time with rattle cans because it won’t have very much chemical or chip resistance.
doofus
7/9/2021 4:44am
Rickyisms wrote:
In the chop shop for tear down [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/07/07/500881/s1200_5D45D8B6_F227_4896_BEE7_66EF0C969FED.jpg[/img] Is it really a used bike if you don’t find at least one of these fasteners on it...
In the chop shop for tear down

Is it really a used bike if you don’t find at least one of these fasteners on it?

I can tell this bike has sat in the last 1-2 hurricanes just by this chain.

Steering was slightly notchy. DIY steering stabilizer?

Remember what I said about sitting out on the last 1-2 hurricanes? This engine mount bolt definitely got the worst of it.

And like any Craigslist basket case, the swingarm bolt is frozen solid. So she sits with one more bolt to be undone before it can be officially “framed”
Dude my 2020 kx250 stem bearings seized up from it sitting on a stand too long... I tried to take it out and ride it thinking it would break loose and free up. It was the most awkward uncomfortable thing I may have ever done. Rode a few feet and fell over. You have no clue how much you slightly turn the bars just to go straight until you can’t do it lol

Bikes lookin good, good work
Rickyisms
7/9/2021 7:10am
FarleyMX25 wrote:
If you do the spray can be sure to use the 2k clear in a can. If you don’t use the 2k clear your wasting your...
If you do the spray can be sure to use the 2k clear in a can. If you don’t use the 2k clear your wasting your time with rattle cans because it won’t have very much chemical or chip resistance.
Thanks for the tip! I'm going to get a quote on the cost to powdercoat and see how I feel about it
Rickyisms
7/9/2021 8:32pm
Thinking this cylinder is salvageable? I have access to ball hones and stone hones but might give a fresh scotch brite and Maxima MPPL a try first. Head looks good, crank is tight, don’t know about that heat spot though.

Rickyisms
7/12/2021 9:08pm
Cases split and transmission is out. Can’t figure out a cause for the seized kickstart. Crank and crank bearings are butter along with everything in the trans. Going to replace what’s needed and clean everything up.

I wouldn’t be surprised to know if this is the original tire from 2005 🤷🏻‍♂️

BToz
7/22/2021 3:53pm
Rickyisms wrote:
Thinking this cylinder is salvageable? I have access to ball hones and stone hones but might give a fresh scotch brite and Maxima MPPL a try...
Thinking this cylinder is salvageable? I have access to ball hones and stone hones but might give a fresh scotch brite and Maxima MPPL a try first. Head looks good, crank is tight, don’t know about that heat spot though.

Pretty sure the heat spot on the bottom of the rod is like that from the factory. Wow you got a lot of pieces laid out dude!
Buckit
7/23/2021 12:21pm
Rickyisms wrote:
Thinking this cylinder is salvageable? I have access to ball hones and stone hones but might give a fresh scotch brite and Maxima MPPL a try...

BToz wrote:
Pretty sure the heat spot on the bottom of the rod is like that from the factory. Wow you got a lot of pieces laid out...
Pretty sure the heat spot on the bottom of the rod is like that from the factory. Wow you got a lot of pieces laid out dude!
You are correct, OEM KLX110 cranks all that that hot spot in them
Rickyisms
7/23/2021 5:34pm
Finally came to a conclusion on why the kicker was locked. Just found this piece stuck to the flywheel, went through all the parts to see what it could match up to and the culprit is the shift drum! Spent like 20 minutes inspecting the shit out of every part and was so happy when I finally found it! Good reason to justify the fourth gear shift drum.
BToz
7/24/2021 7:00am
Rickyisms wrote:
Finally came to a conclusion on why the kicker was locked. Just found this piece stuck to the flywheel, went through all the parts to see...
Finally came to a conclusion on why the kicker was locked. Just found this piece stuck to the flywheel, went through all the parts to see what it could match up to and the culprit is the shift drum! Spent like 20 minutes inspecting the shit out of every part and was so happy when I finally found it! Good reason to justify the fourth gear shift drum.
And because the cylinder is off already, justifies a big bore kit Smile
Rickyisms
7/28/2021 6:10pm Edited Date/Time 10/22/2021 6:47pm
Dead ants in the float bowl.
Rickyisms
10/22/2021 6:51pm
Cooler weather finally started coming around in Florida. If you don’t have a climate controlled garage in these brutal summers you don’t do much bike work other than changing your oil and cleaning your filter, and that’s still a 2-3 T-Shirt job.

Played with the buffing wheel tonight, got most everything to reassemble cases and bottom end, need to pull trigger on powder coating and big bore kit I think Unsure
Rickyisms
2/9/2022 6:20pm
Got a hair up my ass to go out and tinker. Started with a bare frame and ended here after some cleaning and wire routing frustrations. Got everything to put the engine back together but am struggling removing a blind bearing in the case. Leave it here for tonight.
snillum
Fantasy
376th
3/24/2022 5:17am
Any updates on progression on this one? I'm curious to see the outcome.
Rickyisms
4/11/2022 10:09am
snillum wrote:
Any updates on progression on this one? I'm curious to see the outcome.
Not a whole lot of progression unfortunately. $ talks. About to do an order on RMATV for some stuff to finish up the motor and some things for my other project bike. Hopefully can have an update soon!
Rickyisms
6/3/2022 11:56am Edited Date/Time 6/3/2022 12:00pm
This one’s kind of been a back burner project, been focusing on my 125 build more. Here’s where this one’s at ATM. I need to drop the wheels off for powder coat (black, can’t find gold hoops anywhere).

Still going with an old school Splitfire graphics kit and some bling here and there. I used to drool over the trick pit bikes as a kid in their hay day 15 years ago.

I have the motor almost all the way together but it’s inside right now. I wound up with a 4th gear shift drum, HD output shaft and Tb parts 143 kit with the stock head and carb for now. Trying not to pour money into this thing since it’ll literally only be used to ride around in the pits at local races.

Rickyisms
6/3/2022 11:58am
Wet sanded the tank with scotch brite and WD40. New petcock for $10 on eBay and shined up the bolts. Tried to smooth out those knicks with a razor blade best I could.

Rickyisms
8/28/2022 1:32pm
Haven’t done much, planned a trip to Budds creek for me and my girl to hangout with some friends and watch the race so was trying to save some money for that. Rearranged my work area to accommodate some room to work on all 3 bikes at once a little easier. My 125 on the left is my only “running” bike for now so it’s just on a basic moto stand and I can get it in and out of the garage pretty easily. My other 125 is framed on that scissor lift and has been the biggest heartbreaker to see in my garage since I took it apart 5 years ago. Got the 110 on a stand that secured to a dolly so I can maneuver the little thing around easier. Going to drop a box of parts off for both bikes to get Cerakoted and then taking the rims for the 110 and some other parts to the powder coater. Was hoping to have both bikes done before our race season starts in October but 🤷🏻‍♂️

snillum
Fantasy
376th
8/29/2022 7:27pm
I actually started working and wet sanding my CRF250 tank because I saw this forum and what you did for your tank. I did half of it and got it looking decent but then my buddy told me about these ceramic wipes that he uses on his jeep plastic. He said they last a long time so I ordered some from amazon and tried them and this is the result. So far, even days after applying the wipes it still looks shiny like the picture and doesn't wipe off. Haven't got the bike back together to see if it will really last though. Just sharing as a cheap idea for you to shine up your tank.

Rickyisms
11/17/2022 7:02pm
Finally got the cases together on this thing. Was gonna pay a shop to use a press to get them in, but a friend of mine got me in with the owner of his and was cool enough to take over 2 hours out of his day to show me how to do everything. He just went really easy with a hammer and some chunks of aluminum to center it and get it in the cases and then use long bolts to drive the other case half onto the crank, and then didn’t even want to charge me for it. He told me $10 finally and I dropped him off $20 because I didn’t have any cash on me. Got the kickstart mechanism, shift components and oil pump on. Need to order new steel clutch plates and some misc O rings.

So far the motor will have
-New bearings in the transmission
-All new engine seals
-TB parts 143 kit
-Carb rebuilt with Two bros adjustable needle
-TB parts 4th gear shift drum
-Updated output shaft

Should be sweet!

Rickyisms
12/8/2022 3:59pm

Got my parts back from Cerakoting. Not a huge fan of it being all over a bike so I didn’t go overboard. Had them blast the black engine covers to a raw finish, and then had the brake torque arm, brake pedal, kickstand, shift lever and skid plate done in gloss black. Most of them looked rough and it was cheap enough to get them done. Also glad to reuse the OEM steel shifter instead of a replacement aluminum one, got a new OEM rubber piece for the tip and will probably order a shift shaft brace to match some bling on the rest of the motor.

Now that I have the engine covers back I can reassemble completely! Dropping wheels off for powder coat Monday, and then just have to order graphics, plastics, and tires and we will have all the pieces!

12/10/2022 12:25am

Nice build, looks like fun. I have a brand new tb air filter for the big bore that you can have if you are interested. Just pay postage 

Rickyisms
12/11/2022 8:50am
Nice build, looks like fun. I have a brand new tb air filter for the big bore that you can have if you are interested. Just...

Nice build, looks like fun. I have a brand new tb air filter for the big bore that you can have if you are interested. Just pay postage 

I’d gladly pay the shipping cost and then some! I appreciate the offer. I’ll PM you my number and you can shoot me a text whenever. 

Post a reply to: 2005 KLX110 revival

The Latest