2004 YZ250 Build...Complete!

Related:
Create New Tag

8/5/2018 1:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/5/2018 1:58 PM

Hi all!

Recently managed to pick up a 2004 YZ250 for a good price. The bike isn’t in great shape and needs a lot of work but it will work well as a good base to start from.
I originally wanted to build a Chad Reed replica hence why I went for the 2004 bike, however now I’m not sure if that’s the route I want to go down as the bike came with the updated plastic kit and it’s kind of grown on me. I’m open to suggestions so if anyone has any ideas this would be great!
For now my plan is just to get the bike stripped down and see what I’m working with and I’ll keep you all updated as I go and hopefully you’ll all enjoy it as much as I know I will! smile
Also, if anyone has any tips on upgrades that are worth doing or things to look out for then I’d love to hear!
The bike the day I picked it up -

Photo

Photo

|

8/5/2018 3:06 PM

Nice fine dude! How much did you end up getting it for?

Maybe some inspiration for you..
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

The last one is my personal favorite wink

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

8/6/2018 10:44 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/6/2018 10:45 AM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

Nice fine dude! How much did you end up getting it for?

Maybe some inspiration for you..
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

The last one is my personal favorite wink

Cheers man, I paid £1400 for it. Just had a top end rebuild and has a few nice parts on it..full pro circuit pipe, excel rims, talon hubs, Magura hydraulic clutch etc. I really like the updated Chad Reed rep, looks real clean!

|

8/6/2018 12:01 PM

Made a bit of progress on the bike today, managed to get it stripped down quite a bit. Tomorrow I’ll probably remove the motor and try and get it as close to a bare frame as possible.
I’m still undecided on what route im going to go with the scheme on the bike. The frame will definitely be getting re-sprayed but I’m not sure whether to go for the original blue Yamaha colour or have it sprayed black with a black swing arm to match. Suggestions are welcome!
How the bike stands at the moment -

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

8/7/2018 10:54 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/7/2018 10:58 AM

Unfortunately wasn’t able to do any work on the bike today due to work commitments, so fingers crossed I’ll be able to make some progress tomorrow!

Decided to make a rough to do list for the bits I need/want to do on the bike -

- New Forks (ordered and on the way)
- Remove all blue billet parts, fuel cap, brake and gear levers, sprocket guard etc (want to go for a clean standard look with that stuff)
- Get forks and shock rebuilt and setup
- New Headstock bearings (Done)
- New Linkage Bearings
- New Swingarm Bearings
- Lots of titanium, Various Titanium bolts, Titanium Footpegs etc
- Billet Throttle Tube and New Grips
- New Wheels and Tyres or rebuild mine, undecided on this yet (wheels currently on the bike seem slightly buckled and have a couple of dings)
- Frame Resprayed
- Clean up swingarm
- Full Motor Rebuild, Complete New Clutch, Air Filter etc
- New Clutch and Ignition Covers
- New Rads or have originals straightened
- New Carb or Rebuild standard carb
- New Discs and Pads
- New Chain and Sprockets
- Pro Circuit Kevlar Silencer
- New Plastics and Graphics (still unsure on theme)

Thats all I can think of right now, I’ll probably come across other bits that are needed as I go.

I’d like to put some rare/exotic parts (old team stock, rare pro circuit stuff etc) on the bike if possible so if anyone has anything that they’d like to sell then please message me or post on here smile

Cheers! smile

|

8/7/2018 11:22 AM

Photo
I just ordered this kit for my 04 YZ250
|

8/7/2018 11:52 AM

jason486 wrote: Photo
I just ordered this kit for my 04 YZ250

Looks really nice man. If I decide to go back to the original style plastics, then that’s probably the graphics I’ll go for. So simple and clean smile

|

8/7/2018 2:10 PM

Not really a build I’ve just kinda been adding parts to it and stocking up parts to do the final tear down Photo
Photo

|

8/7/2018 5:29 PM

Be sure to disassemble the power valve system. I thought mine was fine but found the main shaft split in 2. love my 04, about to swing arm swap to newer swing arm style within the next few weeks.

|

8/10/2018 11:37 AM

Been a bit slow with the work on the bike due to being flat out with work, but managed to get an early finish today and made some good progress!

Nothing too exciting but progress is progress, the frame is now ready to be cleaned up and sent off for powdercoating. When the frames back I’ll start fitting all the new pieces I can, I’m going to use as much titanium as I can, so all the engine mounting bolts, subframe bolts etc will all be changed.

As you can see the engine isn’t the cleanest and is going to require a lot of work to get it to the standard im looking for on this build. I’ll get the engine stripped down and send the cases away to be vapor blasted. Again, I’ll probably replace all the hardware with titanium.

I’ll add some more updates as I go smile

Thanks for looking!

Photo

Photo

|

9/5/2018 11:58 AM

Hi guys! I’ve been ridiculously slow with the build so far due to being held back by waiting for parts to arrive from the U.S!
Couple of parts have rolled in this week so I’ll be able to start making some more progress.
Pro Circuit triple clamps and bar clamps and titanium motor mounting kit smile

Photo

|

9/10/2018 7:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/10/2018 7:13 AM

Hi guys! I’m looking for a bit of advice, when stripping down the frame today, noticed what looks like a very very small crack or pin sized hole? Of some sort on the piece of metal that’s welded to the headstock on the frame to stop the bars from spinning so far.
My question is..is this something I should be concerned about or am I just worrying over nothing?
I’ve added some pictures below and circled the area in question so you can see what you think smile
Cheers smile

Photo

Photo

|

9/10/2018 8:24 AM

That’s no big deal really. if you weld or have a buddy that does You could fix the stopper but it just looks like impact damage

|

9/10/2018 8:42 AM

Spudnut wrote:

That’s no big deal really. if you weld or have a buddy that does You could fix the stopper but it just looks like impact damage

Thanks for the reply. Was just worried about it getting worse over time that’s all smile

|

10/12/2018 11:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/12/2018 11:21 AM

Been a lot slower than I’d like with the progress on the bike, waiting/trying to find certain parts has slowed it down a lot but I’ve made progress on a couple of things.

Fuel tank was looking a little beat up so refurbished that -
Before -

Photo

After -

Photo

Picked the frame and swingarm up from the powder coaters and fitted the Pro Circuit triple clamp set, also mocked up the titanium engine mount kit to see how it looked against the new frame colour.

Photo
Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Thanks for looking smile

|

10/12/2018 11:20 AM

? looking good

|

10/13/2018 3:41 PM

Damn that tank looks good. What’d you do that with?

|

RPM Performance
CT

10/14/2018 7:40 AM

JWACK wrote:

? looking good

Thanks man smile

|

10/14/2018 7:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/14/2018 7:44 AM

murph783 wrote:

Damn that tank looks good. What’d you do that with?

Thanks dude, I removed all the adhesive that the graphics left behind with some fluid called “sticky stuff remover” (no joke!), then wet sanded the tank down, started with 320 grit and worked all the way up to 2500 grit. It takes a little while but it gets good results. Then I just finished it off with some plastic restoring polish smile

|

10/17/2018 5:21 PM

This thing is gonna be nice! Like the black over the blue frame.

|

10/18/2018 5:12 AM

Thanks man, would’ve liked to have been a bit further ahead with it by now but I’m taking time to find the right parts and stuff smile

|

10/19/2018 9:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/19/2018 9:06 AM

Managed to pick something pretty nice up for the bike, KYB 2 piece A Kit Factory rear shock.
It has the 50mm body with the 18mm shaft, it came straight from Star Racing Yamaha and was removed from Cooper Webb’s bike.
It’s going to be sent away to be rebuilt and setup etc as it’s currently set up for a 4 stroke bike etc.
Unfortunately didn’t manage to get the forks as they weren’t for sale, but Cooper ran air forks that year so I’m not too bothered.

Photo

|

10/21/2018 9:50 AM

Updates and progress on the bike should be a little more frequent now as a lot of the parts are ordered and on the way.
I’ve had to order a lot of the parts from the U.S as there’s certain parts I’ve wanted that I couldn’t find in the UK.
After finding the dreaded hole in front of the sprocket on the crank case, I ended up ordering a brand new crank case from Yamaha...not cheap I know but didn’t seem to make sense to weld the old one up when I’m putting so much time and effort into the rest of the bike.
Wheels are being sent off to a guy I know who works at Talon to be rebuilt and recoated etc.
The works KYB shock should be sent off this week along with the forks to be serviced and setup.
The engine work will start once my parcel arrives from America which contains a few nice parts from Pro Circuit, Lightspeed and Yamaha.
Would just like to say a massive thanks to Jason in Corona, California for being my parts connection in the U.S, wouldn’t have half the parts without him! smile

|

10/21/2018 9:53 AM

deccr250 wrote:

Updates and progress on the bike should be a little more frequent now as a lot of the parts are ordered and on the way.
I’ve had to order a lot of the parts from the U.S as there’s certain parts I’ve wanted that I couldn’t find in the UK.
After finding the dreaded hole in front of the sprocket on the crank case, I ended up ordering a brand new crank case from Yamaha...not cheap I know but didn’t seem to make sense to weld the old one up when I’m putting so much time and effort into the rest of the bike.
Wheels are being sent off to a guy I know who works at Talon to be rebuilt and recoated etc.
The works KYB shock should be sent off this week along with the forks to be serviced and setup.
The engine work will start once my parcel arrives from America which contains a few nice parts from Pro Circuit, Lightspeed and Yamaha.
Would just like to say a massive thanks to Jason in Corona, California for being my parts connection in the U.S, wouldn’t have half the parts without him! smile

Not a problem man glad to help you get your bike dialed, maybe I can ride it when I come over!

|

10/21/2018 11:44 AM

jason486 wrote:

Not a problem man glad to help you get your bike dialed, maybe I can ride it when I come over!

Of course dude, not a problem smile

|

11/15/2018 7:33 AM

Managed to get the swingarm completed with all new bearings, seals and hardware after having to order certain parts from Japan because they were on backorder!
Also, ended up buying a brand new set of wheels as my friend who works at Talon got me a brand new set of complete wheels with spacers etc for cheaper than it was to refurb my old ones haha...so I now have a spare set of excel rims with gold talon hubs for sale smile
Not much progress but I’m waiting until I have 99% of the parts before I start assembling the bike.
All parts are ordered, just waiting on the delivery guy smile

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

11/15/2018 2:59 PM

Hey I’m interested in the wheel set you have for sale

|

11/16/2018 7:58 AM

Wycked31 wrote:

Hey I’m interested in the wheel set you have for sale

Hey man, I’m located in the UK! I’d be willing to send the wheels if you covered the cost but I can’t imagine it’ll be cheap?

|

1/27/2019 8:50 AM

Haven’t been posting nearly as much as I’d like but I’ve been focusing on getting as much done on the bike as possible whilst also sourcing certain parts.
I’ve added some updates below smile

|

1/27/2019 8:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/27/2019 9:00 AM

Decided to go with the SSS conversion as it’s fairly straight forward on the 2004.
Sent the forks and shock away to rebuilt and setup, also had the forks recoated.

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|