2004 CR125 1 hour build

Edited Date/Time 8/1/2022 8:09am
Changed plastic and seat. Oem air filter took sub frame off because I didn’t want the crumbling air filter foam into the carb. It was enjoyable feeling loosening bolts that where never touched. Cleaned air box that took 30 seconds. Polished rear of carb. Change seats. Check all bolts and clickers. Turn air screw out 2 turns. Wipe dust of the bike . And that’s about it. The 2nd owner a 50 yr old showed me a pic of when he got it. His wife and daughter and he we all laughed. It had x games type of graphics and stickers. Like Bro get a bike and we,ll bust big and get into the x games. Haha

|
5/17/2022 9:18pm
Finished greasing the linkage today I ran out of daylight Sunday. Monday it was too windy. Polished stuff up a bit so dirt doesn’t stick as fast and it’s easier to grease next time. Polished all the bolts for less stiction. Polished the axle for an easier spin. Tried a 05 swingarm on the 04 just lined it up. The 05 is a bit narrower. Strange that the 04 sa on the 05 is a bit narrower. The 05 sa is on the left along with shock.

5/31/2022 8:00am
Finally polished the inside of my Rad valve,polished the case inlet , both side of the carb. Took the new coil and iKat off the other 04 and installed it. Stock pilot, needle, 390 main, 420 is stock, air screw 2 turns out, turned idle down so it won’t idle. I went down with the idle a little too far. Ran out of daylight end of tuning for the day. Bike is running real rich, it pulled harder tho. The iKat didn’t improve throttle response like the other 04. I may hv to redo the wires. Did the HRc pv adjustment method. Carb is leaking from the float bowl seal, need a rebuild kit. I pulled the spark plug knowing it would b rich and it is, soaking wet. I thought about installing a leaner needle, I hv a 1/2 step leaner and a a full needle leaner. Fmf pipe bike is 2-4 hrs all stock. Changed the chain , drain oem anti freeze , polish radiators, etc. I was expecting a lot more with the bolt ons but super rich jetting is not going to give ya much.

Rickyisms
5/31/2022 12:11pm Edited Date/Time 5/31/2022 2:57pm
I could be wrong but don’t you want the inlet left with a rougher surface? I thought I remembered reading that the intake being rougher helps atomize the fuel better and then you polish the exhaust side of things for easier flow out. I could be completely wrong though.

I wish I would’ve learned how to adjust the RC valve when I had my Honda, probably would’ve helped what power that thing had.
6/1/2022 9:37pm
You could b right. The surface is still a little rough. I installed a full step leaner needle 26-70and a leaner 37.5 pilot. It ran better played with air screw from 2 out to 1.5. Ran it then changed the plug. It ran better. It’s crazy how different the 2 04,s run. This one doesn’t quite hv the quick throttle response as the other 1 with 4 replates has. This one hits then has a 2mm ovr bore feal slower getting threw the mid range into a flat ovr rev. It has more torque rt after the hit and getting threw 3/4 of the mid range, decisively fast. The 4 replate 04 had the iKat , stock pipe with pc reg silencer, wiseco piston,boyeseen carbon fiber reeds in stock cage. I did add the 05 air boot that helped it get otp quicker. I like this bike more it’s quicker and when it’s pulling it sounds sick like a mod bike. I,m sure the 4 hr bike pv is gummed up. The other 04 pv was very dirty I cleaned it and it ran a lot better. There both fun and pull great rt after the hit. I try to go by feel and block the sound out. The pc is sick sounding fmf is barkier off idle. I will try the stock pipe and the fmf with the pc silencer.

The Shop

R66
6/3/2022 7:03am
If it continues to run rich after leaning it out, check the jet block gasket. Seems all of these old TMX carbs are getting to the point where this gasket is needing to be replaced.
Here’s a pic of my ‘04

6/5/2022 8:03am
R66 wrote:
If it continues to run rich after leaning it out, check the jet block gasket. Seems all of these old TMX carbs are getting to the...
If it continues to run rich after leaning it out, check the jet block gasket. Seems all of these old TMX carbs are getting to the point where this gasket is needing to be replaced.
Here’s a pic of my ‘04

Your 04 is Super Sharp I saw it advertised a while back wasn’t it a 134 ? What gasket exactly is the jet block ? I used a Dandy carb rebuild kit for the other 04. I foamed both 04 frames. You hv to take a shop rag and long screwdriver and push the expanding foam out, a few times. It’s harder to get the straw into the head stem tube. Just squirt 1 hole and foam will come out of all 4 holes. The 2nd bike I squirted the small holes on the back aprox 3-4 seconds and it’s full of foam. Installed the RG3 triple clamp and pro tapers, Honda glued the Honda grips on. Strange but it feels like it’s a complete finished bike now. Both foot pegs I ordered r wrong. I switched cdi boxes strange but it had better throttle response. I couldn’t ride it because the old glue wasn’t drying very fast on the grips. See the diff stamp on the cdi box ?

R66
6/7/2022 12:36pm
2014 CRF450 foot pegs swap right on. They are wider and Ti. They are about $40 each. The Jet Block gasket can be bought from JD Jetting. Yes. It’s a Tom Morgan 134cc. I recently sold it to a friend.
crc245
6/9/2022 7:56pm
2002-Current Honda CRF250/450 pegs mount right up; great deals on 2019+ OEM 4T takeoffs that are the latest/widest platform. Such a clean CR125, congrats!
6/9/2022 10:08pm
crc245 wrote:
2002-Current Honda CRF250/450 pegs mount right up; great deals on 2019+ OEM 4T takeoffs that are the latest/widest platform. Such a clean CR125, congrats!
Thank you. I hv a pair of IMS lower and back pegs ordered. I installed a power flow cage today, polished the whole thing air should slip rt threw it. I went wo threw 4 gears then rolling in 2nd and 3rd snap it. It works you can feel a difference. Is it better to drill 3 hole on the front near the filter on top. Or the rear on top. That would b close to the side plate air intake port.

6/9/2022 10:18pm
I think holes on the left near the filter would b best. If you hv the filter off and look in . The air boot to carb has a left angle going into the carb. See the white air ducks on the side plates . That’s pretty far back for pulling air
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
6/10/2022 11:28am
Rickyisms wrote:
I could be wrong but don’t you want the inlet left with a rougher surface? I thought I remembered reading that the intake being rougher helps...
I could be wrong but don’t you want the inlet left with a rougher surface? I thought I remembered reading that the intake being rougher helps atomize the fuel better and then you polish the exhaust side of things for easier flow out. I could be completely wrong though.

I wish I would’ve learned how to adjust the RC valve when I had my Honda, probably would’ve helped what power that thing had.
You are correct.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
6/10/2022 11:33am
I think holes on the left near the filter would b best. If you hv the filter off and look in . The air boot to...
I think holes on the left near the filter would b best. If you hv the filter off and look in . The air boot to carb has a left angle going into the carb. See the white air ducks on the side plates . That’s pretty far back for pulling air
Its not too far back for "pulling air" if you are going to drill and open the air box up the trick is to keep the holes away from the filter as far as possible not so close where water and dirt and dust will go directly on the filter.
6/10/2022 12:00pm
Oh ok that explains the packed sand on the filter in 1 moto on a 87 125. I drilled holes next to the filter. Being wo the whole race I needed 1/2 a lap to get the leader on a 500. Track is deep sand and hilly. I never saw a test on the amount of air an engine sucks. But I bet it’s a lot.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
6/10/2022 2:24pm
Drill them high and away and it will be good. Opening up a air box even with a few holes really does help. Yep you would be surprised the volume of air these things pull. All a 2 stroke is a big air pump. Cool
6/11/2022 10:31am
Finally got my suspension back I installed it on the older 04, installed a new coil. The low hr 04 the suspension isn’t even broke in. I figured It was best to break it in and see where my speed is. Rain today delayed again. I,m installing the other sub frame with the other 05 air boot and installing the pc reg silencer. Will bring a 04 and 05 stock pipe whenever I make it to the track.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
6/11/2022 2:54pm
Changed plastic and seat. Oem air filter took sub frame off because I didn’t want the crumbling air filter foam into the carb. It was enjoyable...
Changed plastic and seat. Oem air filter took sub frame off because I didn’t want the crumbling air filter foam into the carb. It was enjoyable feeling loosening bolts that where never touched. Cleaned air box that took 30 seconds. Polished rear of carb. Change seats. Check all bolts and clickers. Turn air screw out 2 turns. Wipe dust of the bike . And that’s about it. The 2nd owner a 50 yr old showed me a pic of when he got it. His wife and daughter and he we all laughed. It had x games type of graphics and stickers. Like Bro get a bike and we,ll bust big and get into the x games. Haha

I love the way those Hondas look. I may have to find one and do it like yours. CoolCool Those are the best graphics also.
garagedog
Fantasy
687th
6/11/2022 3:00pm
Rescued from the black plastic crowd! Well done!
6/13/2022 7:57am
Changed plastic and seat. Oem air filter took sub frame off because I didn’t want the crumbling air filter foam into the carb. It was enjoyable...

lostboy819 wrote:
I love the way those Hondas look. I may have to find one and do it like yours. CoolCool Those are the best graphics also.
Graphics gave with the bike. Used bikes r a bit of work diff things like the carb full rebuild is needed. The float didn’t look good I borrowed 1 from the 05. I couldn’t get the screws out on the float bowl the 1 screw holding the float was the worst. Carb was 2-3 hrs. Hv to un bolt the top shock bolt to get carb 1/2 out with the rv. Pulled the 2 engine mounts and covered them in silicone. Installed the other higher hr sub frame on the 2-4 hr 04. Marked the air box where my calf’s didn’t touch the air box and drilled 3 holes. Installed a pc silencer hv to force it on the fmf pipe stinger is too long. It sounds better you get that er rah back wheel skipping off the ground but it runs better with the fmf. Test ride it’s a little stronger with the holes. I ran out of gas. Did a few other small things. Cotton wood was all ovr everything and in my eyes and mouth that slowed stuff down. I started with the other 04 torquing suspension down. The carb rebuild kit is kinda stupid there’s no float bowl nut gasket I borrowed it from the 05, all the Jett’s r way too rich the needle is a ? It’s labeled diff.

6/13/2022 8:07am
The other 04 I installed a 05 air boot that’s why it’s on the newer 04. Throttle response is better a little better mid pull and more on top, lessens the hit tho. Bike runs cleaner the alum air cage installed also.
JMCR250
6/14/2022 5:53pm
On my son's 05, it made a big difference to remove the black covers that block the holes towards the back of the number plates. Two little screws each side -- pretty substantial difference. We have a PC pipe and jetting clean up, and the bike runs quite well.
6/16/2022 10:51am
2 pair of pegs, pt throttle tube and fat bar clamps came in. Working on the other 04 doing linkage,etc. weather is crappy 90 mph winds rain, tornadoes wed, today 40 mph wind. I had 2 days of 90,s muggy weather so that was great. I ordered 2 80,s Honda blue with yellow letters saying TUF. From throttle jockey. It was cool he was working on the original TUF. Design when I called. I can’t wait for it to arrive.
6/20/2022 6:24am
Sat I went to a local race at Denmark totally diff classes not ama example 100-200 cc a-c combined. Separate track for 50cc. They might add a vet class for the next 3 races. Racing was ove by 3.30 then open ride. Here is the new start it’s 200 yards more forward. Unique I don’t think there’s another start like it in the world. The track has safe jumps and an excellent flow. After that I worked on bikes the 2 hr bike is about done. Did linkage etc on the other 04. Every time I work on it I find more bolts that don’t belong. This takes so long taking bolts off the other 04 and trying to find a match.
6/20/2022 6:31am
Video will not post. Any idea why ? This is a new apple pro 13. I had to buy it on the rd in Hagerstown Md.
6/22/2022 10:41pm
Sat I went to a local race at Denmark totally diff classes not ama example 100-200 cc a-c combined. Separate track for 50cc. They might add...
Sat I went to a local race at Denmark totally diff classes not ama example 100-200 cc a-c combined. Separate track for 50cc. They might add a vet class for the next 3 races. Racing was ove by 3.30 then open ride. Here is the new start it’s 200 yards more forward. Unique I don’t think there’s another start like it in the world. The track has safe jumps and an excellent flow. After that I worked on bikes the 2 hr bike is about done. Did linkage etc on the other 04. Every time I work on it I find more bolts that don’t belong. This takes so long taking bolts off the other 04 and trying to find a match.
I made it to Denmark today . My back is quite a bit better my hip is bad yet throbbing weird stuff like pulling my stomach muscles. Ligaments threw my butt , a lot of knee pain and leg is numb to my feet. I just went riding the plan was to be smooth and hv fun. I passed a new yz in a 1/4 of a lap. I jumped everything the 1st lap. I thought all the floaters off the hills where similar but 1 surprised me flying to the bottom. 2nd lap I cleaned it up getting down sides real smooth. It’s freaken strange I have not ridden since 2010 I think. 1-2011 I had a bad surgery. I felt woozy driving to the track and didn’t hv energy. The exhaust and burning antifreeze in the cab still has me sick. I,m seeing a dr Friday. The track had gnarly braking bumps hard pack with thick powder on top it’s rough in the back it’s soft. I love it I 1st rode this track in 1990. Totally diff layout now. Big braking bumps my fingers on the clutch where sliding all ovr the lever. I need 2 sided tape. The bike tracked straight. 1 hill the ramp up was dark I couldn’t see if there was a hole or a bad lip. Sun was setting I just kept the gas on let off and land perfectly. Other hills I would look ovr too see what is next to a post. Really enjoyed the feeeling floating ovr the hills. And linking sections together smoother. So weird if your super comfortable on a bike it comes back instantly. My no sweat expensive googles the foam separated . I grabbed a pair that had foam on the frame yet . There where dusting and dirty. I don’t want the bike to idle but I turned it down too far. It caused me too crash in a corner. Had another crash realed in another 125 rider the fast back section. I couldn’t see from the dust and high sided hitting the turn ruts. My legs got really tired my rt arm pumped up that’s from the back of my shoulder it’s all muscle knots yet. Pinky and next finger threw my hand into my wrist is always numb. Yet no arm pump.
6/23/2022 6:01am
6,2 long arms Windom bend. My outside of my knee is not good. I can’t put weight on it.
6/27/2022 9:37am
I got the cylinder off for the 1st time ever. The rear was stuck along with the pv shaft . It took quite a while but I got it apart. Sexy work of art.

7/1/2022 8:33am
Little trick to get the pv operating smoother. I take a Skotch brite pad with wd40 and smooth out the contact points on the pv shaft. Van I bought has been in the shop 3 times I was there twice yesterday. They can’t figure out how to change a water pump and other basic repairs.i broke a bolt on the thermostat housing they say I need a new intake. 3 new master cylinders brakes r still very mushy. They don’t know how to bleed brakes. I brought it to another shop 2 old guys hv no problem working on it. And they know how to bleed brakes. Van has been taking a lot of time and weeks. So I get to the garage in the afternoon no rain is in the forcast and it’s lightning with rain. I took a nap for 40 min in my other van to wait the storm out. I called on my 125 parts lower head stem bearing mainly its not in. The older 04 is the rideable bike because the cylinder is off the 4 hr 125. Front brake has the wrong bolt it’s ordered. Lever has a odd feel squeeze the lever and it’s 4 hard soft to get brakes. I lubed the pin on the master. Caliper might b bad.brake line moves when brake feel gets hard. So I switched front ends stock suspension is going on. I hv to change shocks also . I got the protaper alum throttle pipe and new Honda grip glued on. Then it was dark. More rain driving home. No one has a pc 02-07 t. Pipe. Subframes r getting changed too the older bike is off. Other sub frame has new foam seal with max flow cage. With parts not arriving it taking a lot of time switching stuff. 4 hr 04 suspension is being used . I thought about switching engines but I thought switching suspension where b quicker. I hv a used oem clutch plate kit that I need to change yet with new oem springs. Generic plates and super stiff springs r in the older 04. Yeah busy. The lower h. Stem bearing I can lift the bearing. I don’t want to damage the frame.

7/3/2022 9:28am
I should’ve just changed engines and used the low hr chassis. I bled both brakes lost a lot of lever on the front , not sure why ? And heated the rear up to fade pretty common for me. I think it’s fading a little earlier than it should. A lot of down hills with hard braking. The higher hr 04 is a lot snappier and quicker. I ran both ignitions on both bikes. The higher hr ignition gets the low hr bike more responsive. The higher hr bike is great with either. Would it b a better rectrafier ?

Post a reply to: 2004 CR125 1 hour build

The Latest