2003 Yamaha YZ 125 Revival

DaBaum44
Edited Date/Time 10/18/2021 8:09pm
A few months ago I was lucky enough to score a semi-rebuilt 2003 Yamaha YZ125. The previous owner replaced most, if not all of the wear parts and even had the old parts for proof. In addition he added a rebuilt 1997 YZ125 motor, which he preferred for more torque. I gotta say this motor probably has the most torque of any 125 I've ever ridden. The bike supposedly has 20 hours since the previous owner freshened it up, which I believe is true. The powdercoated frame and swingarm only had one ride when I picked the bike up.

I'm currently in the process of finishing this build with the goal of creating a fast, reliable 125 that I can use to have have fun, race, and get more seat time.

Here is where the build started. A lot of nice aftermarket parts were previously installed that I plan to keep such as the Excel Takasago rims, a fresh set of Michelin Starcross tires, Pro Taper bars and clutch perch, and a few other minor pieces.

|
DaBaum44
9/23/2018 11:47am Edited Date/Time 3/8/2019 5:31pm
I had some spare time, so I decided to polish the FMF exhaust and silencer even though it will be replaced with a Pro Circuit system for more top end power.

I had ridden the bike once around our property to get a feel for it, and then raced it at MxExpress-Toledo's Two Stroke Shootout. I went into the day with little expectations as I had yet to ride it on a track, and I finished around 7th in my class. Not bad, but certainly room for improvement with both myself and the bike. The motor comes on strong off the bottom with lots of torque, but falls flat on top. Setup wise I could tell the balance and clickers were a bit off for my preferences, especially on a track that develops lots of chop and deep ruts. Still had a blast and can only imagine how much better I'll be able to ride once I more time to make adjustments.

After the Two Stroke Shootout I started with the first round of parts including a Boyesen ignition cover, Motoseat cover and foam, Cycra restyled plastics, Pro Taper grips, and carb vent hoses.

I also noticed a few scratches on the freshly powder coated frame so after researching the options for frame guards, Light Speed's carbon guards seemed like the way to go.

DaBaum44
9/23/2018 11:55am Edited Date/Time 3/8/2019 5:31pm
After these pictures were taken, I rode our local practice track and the reeds gave out on me during the first moto. I took the bike to my mechanic for a fresh top end, V-Force reeds and a Pro Circuit exhaust. I'm lucky to have a local and very experienced mechanic who will get this bike running crisp and tuned to my liking.

I also have a carbon skid plate on order from Light Speed for added protection and durability.

I'm excited to see the improvements once I get the bike back. My plans going forth are to fine tune the suspension, install graphics, and let 'er rip! Hopefully I'll be healed up in time to ride before winter Whistling
DaBaum44
3/8/2019 6:35pm
Missed out on riding the bike before winter, so we're currently trying to get the bike finished up while the weather is still cold.

Upgraded the rear brake pedal to a Hammerhead Designs setup. I previously had a Hammerhead brake pedal tip when I had a KTM, and thought that it provided a better feeling than stock. Nice upgrade from a functionality and looks standpoint.

One issue I wanted to get fixed during this build was the front brake line setup. The previous install looked sloppy, and I noticed that the line was rubbing on the rotor and it was only a matter of time before a failure happened.

After

For whatever reason, the bike came with a 1997 YZ 125 front master cylinder installed, so we upgraded back to the 2003 OEM setup. The main reason being that it's much easier to adjust the front brake lever on the 03 and the fitment between the master cylinder and the throttle housing is improved.

DaBaum44
3/8/2019 6:53pm
Headed back to the shop for the final pieces of the build. I never touched the clickers prior to riding the bike, and my mechanic discovered that the adjusters on the left fork don't engage. Going to have this fixed, and get the forks and shock rebuilt.

Also time to get the top end changed, some porting, and hopefully Pro Circuit and the distributors pull through with getting the pipe in. Been on back-order for 6+ months.

Here's a sneak peek of the graphics. My brother designs custom graphics, so he hooked me up with a clean design.
More of his work can be seen on Instagram: @dabaum_designs

Some Vital members have probably seen his work on Zesiger 112's YZ 250. Zesiger 112 provided the design and he helped bring them to life.

The Shop

DaBaum44
1/20/2020 8:45am Edited Date/Time 1/20/2020 8:49am
Little update on the YZ build. Since the last post, I've made quite a few changes.

Graphics installed and scored an FMF 2.1 Ti silencer.

Turbo Speed Tuning rebuilt and revalved the suspension for my weight and fixed the clicker issue. Bike works so much better now. 🤘

While the suspension was off, I greased all the bearings and surprisingly they looked like they were recently packed. Also replaced all of the OEM bolts that I removed during the process with Specbolt pieces.

From here, finished the 2019 year off putting some time on it.

This past month, GBR Performance did a complete rebuild on the motor. Fresh piston, Hinson clutch, rebuilt crank, and replaced all the bolts with a Bolt Hardware engine kit. If you are around the Ohio area and need some work done I highly recommend Gary at GBR. Very clean and organized shop. Can tell he takes a lot of pride in his work.

Before & after of the head.

New pipe mount.

Ready to shred in 2020! 

Upcoming plans are to replace the OEM rear caliper and brake disc guard with Light Speed Carbon and a fresh set of Dunlop MX33 tires. At some point, I'd like to get the brake calipers and master cylinders cerakoted and add an oversized rotor kit on the front.
450exc115
1/20/2020 9:02am
I like the adapter bracket for using an older pipe on the newer frame. Is that custom or something you can buy? I have an 02 with 98 cylinder and mating Bill's pipe but haven't come up with a bracket yet.
DaBaum44
1/20/2020 9:19am
450exc115 wrote:
I like the adapter bracket for using an older pipe on the newer frame. Is that custom or something you can buy? I have an 02...
I like the adapter bracket for using an older pipe on the newer frame. Is that custom or something you can buy? I have an 02 with 98 cylinder and mating Bill's pipe but haven't come up with a bracket yet.
He said the mount was from a CR250 and it bolted right up. I'm not sure what year the mount is from though.
450exc115
1/24/2020 8:38pm
450exc115 wrote:
I like the adapter bracket for using an older pipe on the newer frame. Is that custom or something you can buy? I have an 02...
DaBaum44 wrote:
He said the mount was from a CR250 and it bolted right up. I'm not sure what year the mount is from though.
Looks like a 02-07 CR250 exhaust mount. Found one on eBay and should have it next week, hopefully it works.
DaBaum44
2/10/2020 12:19pm
Finally scored a Pro Circuit pipe. Has some small dents and scratches but the plan is to have my local plating shop strip the nickel plating and then I'll send it to Pipe Repair in Oregon. Will pair it with a Pro Circuit Ti2 silencer. Looking forward to testing it against the FMF system in the spring and seeing how good Pipe Repair can make it look.

450exc115
2/10/2020 1:35pm
I believe the best pipes were the Noleen or the Bills pipe for the 96-04 YZ125 motors. I have a Bills on mine I just need to finish it. Lol
DaBaum44
2/10/2020 2:27pm
450exc115 wrote:
I believe the best pipes were the Noleen or the Bills pipe for the 96-04 YZ125 motors. I have a Bills on mine I just need...
I believe the best pipes were the Noleen or the Bills pipe for the 96-04 YZ125 motors. I have a Bills on mine I just need to finish it. Lol
Thanks for the insight. I've never heard much about Noleen but heard good things about Bill's. My only thing with the FMF is it doesnt want to rev out as far as I think it should. Otherwise its great. I've been told from some folks who raced back in the day that a Pro Circuit will rev farther.
450exc115
2/11/2020 6:40am
You want to find a FMF SST for mid top. The fatty was more of a mid pipe. Challenge with the SST is tended to run a little leaner so you have to jet a little fat in the middle.

Noleen was a big part of Yamaha's success in the 90s to early 00s when they switch to MB. Pipes were considered the best for the YZ. I'm still trying to find a 97/98 for my old 250 (which was ported by Noleen back in the day).

Bills pipes are just good pipes, I think he supported Suzuki a fair amount but they tend to wake up most brands.

PC was always a mid/top pipe but some felt they were a little flat on top compared to the Noleen and Bills.

Another option is a dynoport pipe who makes a mid top specifically.

Cool bike and can't wait to get my 02 done.
RAD60
2/11/2020 8:35am
Nice clean looking bike ! And you race it also !!
DaBaum44
2/11/2020 3:51pm
450exc115 wrote:
You want to find a FMF SST for mid top. The fatty was more of a mid pipe. Challenge with the SST is tended to run...
You want to find a FMF SST for mid top. The fatty was more of a mid pipe. Challenge with the SST is tended to run a little leaner so you have to jet a little fat in the middle.

Noleen was a big part of Yamaha's success in the 90s to early 00s when they switch to MB. Pipes were considered the best for the YZ. I'm still trying to find a 97/98 for my old 250 (which was ported by Noleen back in the day).

Bills pipes are just good pipes, I think he supported Suzuki a fair amount but they tend to wake up most brands.

PC was always a mid/top pipe but some felt they were a little flat on top compared to the Noleen and Bills.

Another option is a dynoport pipe who makes a mid top specifically.

Cool bike and can't wait to get my 02 done.
That's good to know. Thank you for the info. I called Bill's at one point and they don't make them anymore, which isn't surprising. Said they could make one if I took my bike to their shop but I'm in Indiana.
DaBaum44
2/11/2020 3:55pm
RAD60 wrote:
Nice clean looking bike ! And you race it also !!
Thanks! I definitely try to ride or race any bike I have for a fair amount of time before having them modified.
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2058th
2/12/2020 6:03am Edited Date/Time 2/12/2020 6:11am
DaBaum44 wrote:
Headed back to the shop for the final pieces of the build. I never touched the clickers prior to riding the bike, and my mechanic discovered...
Headed back to the shop for the final pieces of the build. I never touched the clickers prior to riding the bike, and my mechanic discovered that the adjusters on the left fork don't engage. Going to have this fixed, and get the forks and shock rebuilt.

Also time to get the top end changed, some porting, and hopefully Pro Circuit and the distributors pull through with getting the pipe in. Been on back-order for 6+ months.

Here's a sneak peek of the graphics. My brother designs custom graphics, so he hooked me up with a clean design.

Some Vital members have probably seen his work on Zesiger 112's YZ 250. Zesiger 112 provided the design and he helped bring them to life.

Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2058th
2/12/2020 6:05am
DaBaum44 wrote:
Headed back to the shop for the final pieces of the build. I never touched the clickers prior to riding the bike, and my mechanic discovered...

He also did another bike I built with a friend.
Plan on using him again this year for helmet wrap, updated graphics for yz, and maybe sticker sheet of small decals.

DaBaum44
2/12/2020 4:29pm
He also did another bike I built with a friend. Plan on using him again this year for helmet wrap, updated graphics for yz, and maybe...
He also did another bike I built with a friend.
Plan on using him again this year for helmet wrap, updated graphics for yz, and maybe sticker sheet of small decals.

Sounds good! Both of those bikes are super clean!
450exc115
3/29/2020 5:19am
I forgot how good these bikes are. Here is my 02 that was a buddies bike that was stolen and returned missing wheels, topend, pipe and other various parts.

I sourced a good 98 top end, wheels, Bill's pipe, radiators, new plastic, and probably a couple hundred bucks of odds and ends to get it back together.

Took it for a warm up ride yesterday and man is it quick. My last race bike was a KTM 450 and the past few years I've been racing vintage big bores so I wasn't expecting much out of the 1/4 liter but it is quite zippy on the pipe! Not quite the show quality you guys have built but not bad for a low budget rescue! Smile

Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2362nd
3/30/2020 7:09pm
I noticed you went back to am 03 from brake. I had an 03 yz anfew.years back and swapped out for the master off of an 08 model and its a.big improvement
DaBaum44
3/30/2020 7:18pm
I noticed you went back to am 03 from brake. I had an 03 yz anfew.years back and swapped out for the master off of an...
I noticed you went back to am 03 from brake. I had an 03 yz anfew.years back and swapped out for the master off of an 08 model and its a.big improvement
I can't remember the exact year, but I'd definitely agree that it makes a big improvement.
DaBaum44
8/3/2020 9:57am
Installed new Renthal chain and sprockets, Works Connection axle blocks and Bolt sprocket bolts. The rear sprocket I removed had some rub marks from an aftermarket UFO chain block I installed. Had to cut a few millimeters from the rubber block surface to resolve that.

Still waiting on a rear rotor/caliper carbon fiber cover from Light Speed. If anyone knows another carbon manufacture that makes them for a 2003 YZ125 please let me know! Been 6+ months since I ordered one and Light Speed always tells me they are still waiting to produce more of them. To be fair, they did say I wouldn't get charged until the part ships.

Other than that the entire bike has basically been gone through besides the rear brakes. Might tackle those as a winter project with some coatings.

DaBaum44
2/8/2021 12:39pm
Final stages of the build coming together. Adding an oversize front rotor kit and completely rebuilding the rear brakes. I've never had a master cylinder or caliper apart but looking forward to the project. Rear caliper will be sent to Wolf Worx for vapor blasting. The rear master cylinder is really clean and tucked behind my carbon frame guards so I will just scotchbrite that piece.

Special shout to Bolt Motorcycle Hardware for getting me dished head bolts. I'm going to replace all of the remaining bolts on the bike to match the current dished head look on the engine (which is a Bolt kit) and front end.

Decided to stay away from any cerakote work because the theme is more blue, black, and silver. The only other mods I really have in mind are a set of Applied Triple Clamps so I can run 1 1/8 bars.

RAD60
2/8/2021 3:37pm
Great looking bike ! Im a big fan of those era of 125s
DaBaum44
2/27/2021 5:47pm
Rear brakes are torn apart. Wolf Worx in Indiana vapor blasted the rear caliper for me. Here's a before and after. 🔥

DaBaum44
3/19/2021 6:01pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2021 6:03pm
Brakes going together this weekend. Added some MotoStuff banjo bolts and some ti bolts from Pro Bolt. Cleaned up the master cylinder with a scotchbrite wheel for a Dremel.

DaBaum44
9/21/2021 6:05pm
Putting some hours on the YZ125. Just need a better 125 pilot. 😂
DaBaum44
10/18/2021 8:08pm Edited Date/Time 10/18/2021 8:10pm
Found a nice puddle on the garage floor this past week....

...Discovered fuel leaking out where the lower shroud bolt goes into the tank. Here's the culprit.

I have been planning on racing the Battle Creek Motorcycle Club Grand Prix this upcoming weekend (bigggg woods guy lol Woohoo wish me luck), so I overnighted a Clarke OEM capacity fuel tank. The gas tank is one of the few original, untouched parts on this build, so it was kind of nice to get a new tank. The original one definitely showed some age.

Installation of the Clarke tank was straight forward but it did require trimming of the OEM rubber cushions to get the front gas tank mount properly aligned. If anyone reading this plans on buying a Clarke tank, be sure to clean it out with compressed air and rinse it out with gasoline. I found several large chunks such as this.

I am not totally stoked with the fitment of the Cycra shrouds to the tank. There is definitely a bit of gap between the shroud and tank but it will work for now. On my test ride I could not tell a difference in feel, but aesthetically it is enough to bug me. I'll have to find a solution over winter when I have more time. For now it will get the job done.

Looking forward to trying this thing out in the woods this weekend. I've strictly been a moto only guy. But events like the RedBud Grass Race have me itching to try a few different styles of riding.

I'll continue to post on here as the build and riding goes on. I enjoy looking back and seeing the progress.

Once it gets too cold to ride, I'll get over to GBR Performance for a fresh top end. I'm also eyeing a set of Applied Racing rubber mounted upper triple clamps. My bike currently has a "Universal Brand" top triple clamp and I just recently discovered the company previously had several recalls and some folks consider them cheaply made Chinese parts. It makes me a bit nervous to continue running them. I've been wanting to switch this bike to Pro Taper EVO 1 1/8" bars, so finding this just makes a good excuse to upgrade.
DaBaum44
10/25/2021 7:19pm
Found out Applied Racing is temporarily closed per their voice message. So after a little research, I found a company called Billet Racing Products that offers billet aluminum upper clamps and bar mounts. I did some more reading and Jeff Crutcher left a nice comment about the product here on Vital, so I figured I'd pull the trigger and give it a try.

The bar mount height is basically the same as it was before. I installed a lower bar bend (Pro Taper EVO Husqvarna bend) as I had a few sitting around. I previously had the YZ High bend and always felt like the bars were too tall. This feeling was only exaggerated by the older two stroke ergonomics where it feels like sitting in a pocket on the seat.

Once I log some hours I'll update any thoughts, changes, or improvements with this setup.

Post a reply to: 2003 Yamaha YZ 125 Revival

The Latest