2003 Suzuki RM250 Build

Trev311
Edited Date/Time 12/11/2018 8:59am
I just picked up a pretty roached out '03 RM250. I'm still on the fence as to fix the bike up or part it out. The motor and transmission are good besides some JB weld where the case was damaged from a broken chain. If I do fix it, what parts can be used from newer RMZ 250/450's (front/rear brakes, rotors, forks, shock)?

Thanks for the help.
Poll

Rebuild or Part Out

Choices
|
Mocaby_24
11/18/2018 8:01pm
Rebuild it man. They take a while sometimes and can be a headache but you'll be so glad you rebuilt it once your done. Heres my 2003 I bought for $1500. It was really rough when I got it. Motor and cases were good but as in new parts, and general maintenance and cleaning I dont think it ever had any and this is what I got it too look like in about 4 months.
Trev311
11/28/2018 7:49pm
Well started to tear the bike down and found more issues than what I was hoping for. The good thing is that I still think the motor and transmission are good. Almost all of the bearings in the rear shock linkage were seized or broken and had one bearing that was galled and I couldn't press it out. Looks like I'll either have to mill it out or just buy new. The previous owner didn't install the rear brake pad stopper so the bracket is bad. One of the bolts in the clutch basket was broken off but that should be an easy fix. Used hubs are fairly cheap. So new parts are on the way and we'll see how it goes.

Trev311
12/10/2018 8:06am
Mocaby, very nice looking bike. If this one turns out to be half as nice as yours I'll keep it.

Unfortunately after cleaning these parts I found a crack in the sub frame. While I hate to try and repair something that is a vital piece, I am going to take it to a professional welder and see what they can do. I was thinking about having them add some gussets for some added strength....any thoughts to this? I would appreciate any input. Thanks

Mocaby_24
12/10/2018 12:00pm
Trev311 wrote:
Mocaby, very nice looking bike. If this one turns out to be half as nice as yours I'll keep it. Unfortunately after cleaning these parts I...
Mocaby, very nice looking bike. If this one turns out to be half as nice as yours I'll keep it.

Unfortunately after cleaning these parts I found a crack in the sub frame. While I hate to try and repair something that is a vital piece, I am going to take it to a professional welder and see what they can do. I was thinking about having them add some gussets for some added strength....any thoughts to this? I would appreciate any input. Thanks

Hmmm. Well If it were me i would search high and low for a used subframe. Idk how easy they are to get ahold of though. But if that didn't pan out I would take it too a good welder and ask his thoughts on it are. Yes it is a vital peice but it's broken on the weld so it's not a terrible break. So with that said you could have it welded for now until you found a subframe. I'd think you could buy a subframe for $50-200 or so.

The Shop

Mocaby_24
12/10/2018 10:38pm
Trev311 wrote:
Mocaby, very nice looking bike. If this one turns out to be half as nice as yours I'll keep it. Unfortunately after cleaning these parts I...

I'm sure you have facebook I just found this on a rm250 group. He has the subframe listed for $100. Hes from NY but I'm sure he'd ship. Alot of other goodies on the bike also.
Rickyisms
12/11/2018 7:36am
Trev311 wrote:

Mocaby_24 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/12/10/309022/s1200_Screenshot_20181211_003611_Facebook.jpg[/img] I'm sure you have facebook I just found this on a rm250 group. He has the subframe listed for $100. Hes from NY but I'm...

I'm sure you have facebook I just found this on a rm250 group. He has the subframe listed for $100. Hes from NY but I'm sure he'd ship. Alot of other goodies on the bike also.
He's a good seller as well!
Trev311
12/11/2018 8:59am
Thanks for the heads up. Trying to contact him now.

Post a reply to: 2003 Suzuki RM250 Build

The Latest