2003 RM125 - Basket Case Special

DerickYZ
Edited Date/Time 2/16/2021 6:27pm
Little backstory behind this bike.

In 2018, my best friend bought this 2003 RM125 for $500 and dumped a shit load of money into it. Well, it didn't help I locked the bike up on him on a fresh rebuild on accident Dizzy

After he got it all rebuilt he ended up selling it for a RM250, he sold it to a friend of ours.

Fast forward to 2020. During Halloween I drove past a house with my girlfriend and step-daughter. I noticed a Suzuki sitting on the side of a house in the middle of no where. Good thing, it was actually a family members' bike of my step-daughter. I got the contact info, and it still belonged to our friend that the bike was sold to. After some texting back and forth, I ended up scoring the bike for a steal with a full bottom end rebuild kit still in the box.

This is how the bike sat....for 2 years. Engine was out of the bike, on the side porch. YIKES.

After getting it home. I took the motor into the workshop in the basement and began some investigation.

The bolts and nuts came off easier than I thought, however all studs, nuts and bolts will be replaced.

Took the head off, no rust so that's a plus

Removed the cylinder. I think some wire wheel and WD-40 to loosen up the crank? lmao.

I had to keep digging, I took off the clutch cover to find some...interesting items that are just mind blowing. Some factory welds and floating washers (the snap rig was stuck to the backside of the washer too. The primary drive gear was finger tight, no joke.

Clutch plates looking mint.

This will be a slow build for sure. I started a new job to get back into the sport more. Got a M-F 1st shift. Opposed to my Nights-overnights all weekends, holidays. The pay was good, however I couldn't stay because my happiness means more than a paycheck.

No theme for the build yet. Thinking of sending the cylinder and head out for some work and run race gas to get some extra ponies.
|
rm449
Fantasy
499th
11/27/2020 12:05pm
Love seeing these rm builds. I'm currently building on too. Cant wait to see how it turns out!
DerickYZ
2/16/2021 6:27pm
So been awhile since an update.

I got the motor all tore apart and my friend sent me a message to get some vapor blasting done, did the motor for a great price so I couldn’t pass it up

After so, I made a couple orders out to get some parts. Got my shipment of all OEM bearings for the transmission. Also got my Pro X piston, clutch, and other misc OEM bearings and seals. Replaced the linkage bearings and swing arm bearings as well.

Lastly, here’s some pics of the FMF fatty that has seen better days. Going to try and clean this up

Post a reply to: 2003 RM125 - Basket Case Special

The Latest