2002 RM 125 basket case

ConnorD11
Edited Date/Time 7/23/2022 7:30pm
Howdy fellow moto addicts! This is a build I've been wanting to do for years. I, like many of you, always keep my ear to the ground on facebook for projects just to entertain myself. I came across this bike on facebook last thursday night and drove to take a look. The owner had another identical rm 125 that wasn't in shambles. He had the motor I have shown, as well as another bottom end that was blown up and it looked like it was in way worse condition than the case half I got. The night before I picked it up I found some cases on ebay, But after I brought the bike home realized that it was going to be nearly impossible to find a set of cases if I can't make what I have work. So here is what I have now.

I paid $1000 for the lot of it. Probably over paid for how big the project is going to be but the guy was honest and I felt like I could make a good bike out of what was there. I still think I can make something good out of it.

My goals for this build are to build a super stock bike. Stock bore and stroke but with some head work and fun internal mods to make it reliable and zippy. I'm planning on getting a hinson basket and plates, it came with boyeson reed cage and a vforce3, so I'll probably use the Vforce. This is my first 125 i've ever built with the plan to actually ride it.

I'm not looking to break the bank, proposed budget is $3,500 total. I think I can get it built and running around that. I'll try and break down prices as I go because I always like when people are open about what it costs to really build one of these things.
|
ConnorD11
4/24/2022 6:45pm Edited Date/Time 4/24/2022 7:01pm
Anyone know what these clamps are? How about these forks? They have some sort of powder coat that I don't really like but the other set of forks are pretty wack. I think these will be fine once they are rebuilt. I'm thinking about going with enzo. I want to use someone new that isn't ridiculously expensive. I'm also considering just going to race tech. Let me know if y'all have a place that does good work and is good at handling complicated cases like this.

Bike came with a full FMF system, just needs to be repacked.

I have a big box literally full of shit. Transmissions, gears, bolts, powervalves, clamps, you name it. I really meant Basketcase when I said it.

This is the only right side case I was able to find. I paid $135, I am really hoping someone here can reccomend a good welder that knows how to repair this. I always see people say "just find someone near you." I'm hoping y'all know of a really business like millennium or something that I can send my cases to to fix them together to make sure they are 100%

Found this crack tonight on the reed cage. That sucks. Also need a welder to repair this one..

motomike894
4/24/2022 7:58pm
I did a 02 as well here’s some befroe and after, also I’ve never seen a top triple clamp that looks like that one.

ConnorD11
4/24/2022 8:54pm
I did a 02 as well here’s some befroe and after, also I’ve never seen a top triple clamp that looks like that one. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/04/24/545887/s1200_16927ECB_D0EA_4531_9804_E269A867B014.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/04/24/545889/s1200_0FDC2FA6_33D4_4425_9B54_6A35062A0ED4.jpg[/img]...
I did a 02 as well here’s some befroe and after, also I’ve never seen a top triple clamp that looks like that one.

Wow you killed that build. Did you coat all that stock suspension or did you get kit stuff? Is that original paint on the frame or did you redo that?

I also had a question for anyone that would know, is this blueing indicative of overheating? Is this crank still usable? I believe it’s a stock crank and I’d like to have it rebuilt.

ConnorD11
4/24/2022 9:27pm Edited Date/Time 4/24/2022 9:40pm
Here is the nick in the cylinder. I'm hoping Tom Morgan can salvage this without having to overbore past stock.

Another shot of the blueing on what I believe is a stock crank? Does anyone have any idea if this is a stock crank?

small dent in the frame. I'm not super stoked on it. the paint is chipping off in areas so I'm really considering getting it repainted

Found a logo on the mystery top clamp. It looks like it says "Azonic" or "Azone"?

Found some what looks like plastic chunks around one of the bearings behind the transmission. Weird.

The Shop

motomike894
4/25/2022 3:42am
A lot of the stuff in my bike was cerakoted my buddy does it so it was cheap lol.

That crank looks like a stock one not 100% sure but should be able to have it rebuilt with new rod and bearings, that cylinder can be replated if not making it a big bore also.

Azonic was part of O’Neal they made bars and clamps for while forgot what they looked like lol
johnk408
4/25/2022 5:36am
Those clamps are azonic, says right on them. I believe it was part of O'neal's hard parts division at one point. For $1000 worse case, you could make money on all those parts. Everything is hard to find as I just found out doing an 04 RM125 over the winter.
jhansen510
Fantasy
3600th
4/25/2022 6:26am
Clayton Miller at Trick engineering is your guy. What he can do for repairs is amazing!
ConnorD11
4/25/2022 2:14pm
johnk408 wrote:
Those clamps are azonic, says right on them. I believe it was part of O'neal's hard parts division at one point. For $1000 worse case, you...
Those clamps are azonic, says right on them. I believe it was part of O'neal's hard parts division at one point. For $1000 worse case, you could make money on all those parts. Everything is hard to find as I just found out doing an 04 RM125 over the winter.
I agree with you there, finding parts is never easy. It seems like finding RM parts is much harder than a CR or KX, maybe it’s just me. I know a lot of people are rebuilding projects and hoarding parts that way but maybe eventually some will come available.

I’ve been emailing back and forth with Tom Morgan today, and all I have to say is wow. I’ve worked with many people in this industry over the past 15 or so years from suspension to motors but he has been my favorite so far. I sent him a few photos, told him what I was looking for, asked a load of questions, and he has been amazing so far. He was up front about his lead time, told me exactly what he charges, honest about upgrades he thinks are worth it, and I’m impressed with his reviews I’ve seen through my research. One thing I’m surprised about is he is a wossner piston guy. Its always been my understanding that a forged piston is better than a cast, but if he recommends wossner, I’ll give it a shot. I’ve always been a vertex guy myself but what do I know?

I just purchased these from a fellow vital member for $250, very pumped. I’ve never had aftermarket clamps before. I was intrigued by these since they have a taller bar mount than my aztonic clamp has as I’m quite tall (6’4) and weigh about 250 without gear.) I’ll likely sell that set on eBay at some point.

It’s so tempting to drop $6k on a build like this a have an absolute screamer of a mod 2 stroke. I’m likely going to spend about $1000 with TMR just on getting motor work done and some porting done. Seems totally worth it to me while he’s got it open to get some fancy work done. I’ve also already put an order together an RM that’s around $1400 and it’s not even all the parts I need. I’m earmarking about $1000 for suspension work too as that set I pulled off is pretty disgusting. So in my head that brings my total to about $4,500 already!
ace402
4/25/2022 7:25pm
jhansen510 wrote:
Clayton Miller at Trick engineering is your guy. What he can do for repairs is amazing!
This
johnk408
4/26/2022 5:21am
Yes, very easy to spend money on these things. I picked up a running 04 for $1500 and didn't even go crazy and did all the work myself (except the powder coated frame) and was up to $4000 before I knew it. Once you start replacing all the OEM bearings in the motor and stuff, it adds up quickly.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
4/26/2022 9:22am
ConnorD11 wrote:
I agree with you there, finding parts is never easy. It seems like finding RM parts is much harder than a CR or KX, maybe it’s...
I agree with you there, finding parts is never easy. It seems like finding RM parts is much harder than a CR or KX, maybe it’s just me. I know a lot of people are rebuilding projects and hoarding parts that way but maybe eventually some will come available.

I’ve been emailing back and forth with Tom Morgan today, and all I have to say is wow. I’ve worked with many people in this industry over the past 15 or so years from suspension to motors but he has been my favorite so far. I sent him a few photos, told him what I was looking for, asked a load of questions, and he has been amazing so far. He was up front about his lead time, told me exactly what he charges, honest about upgrades he thinks are worth it, and I’m impressed with his reviews I’ve seen through my research. One thing I’m surprised about is he is a wossner piston guy. Its always been my understanding that a forged piston is better than a cast, but if he recommends wossner, I’ll give it a shot. I’ve always been a vertex guy myself but what do I know?

I just purchased these from a fellow vital member for $250, very pumped. I’ve never had aftermarket clamps before. I was intrigued by these since they have a taller bar mount than my aztonic clamp has as I’m quite tall (6’4) and weigh about 250 without gear.) I’ll likely sell that set on eBay at some point.

It’s so tempting to drop $6k on a build like this a have an absolute screamer of a mod 2 stroke. I’m likely going to spend about $1000 with TMR just on getting motor work done and some porting done. Seems totally worth it to me while he’s got it open to get some fancy work done. I’ve also already put an order together an RM that’s around $1400 and it’s not even all the parts I need. I’m earmarking about $1000 for suspension work too as that set I pulled off is pretty disgusting. So in my head that brings my total to about $4,500 already!
Wossner pistons are forged. They have been my go-to on 2-strokes the last several years and they've been great. Honda 125s, KTM 250, good stuff! Good luck on the build.
ConnorD11
4/28/2022 5:33pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2022 5:42pm
It’s crazy I haven’t even washed anything yet. I’m considering not messing with painting the frame. I was going to put grip tape on the side of the frame anyway and I don’t really want to mess with it. I’m excited to get it running and to ride it!

Got the right side case from eBay for $135. I’m shipping the whole lot (stock crank for rebuild, both sides of cases, and right side clutch cover) to Tom Morgan to rebuild. I’m going to get his spec of porting and cylinder work. He’s also going to weld on the spots of the cases that need it.

ConnorD11
4/28/2022 7:46pm
Why the need to send the forks out so far? Just have doc at 812 do them
I’ve known doc a long time, I just never used him for suspension. I think I can save a few hundred dollars going with a bigger brand. I like doc.
ConnorD11
4/29/2022 7:33pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2022 7:52pm
Got the chance to do a light wash and scrub on some parts today. Like I said before I don't think I'm going to mess with sending this frame off to get powdercoated, so does anyone have a suggestion to get it cleaned up a little better? If not, I'll just push it for down the road and get it resprayed down the line.

Even the new airboot and airbox I bought was filthy on the intake. Its also really weird how the air filter frame doesn't go all the way around the mounting service. It leaves two big gaps in the bottom left and bottom right. Weird.

Swingarm cleaned up really easily so I'm optimistic with a wire wheel and some scotch-bright I can get it really clean. This was only a few minutes with a brush and brillo pad and water.

The applied clamps had some old stickers on them that faded into the anodization i guess. I tried some sticker removal stuff, but its not working. Any ideas?

Still haven't decided where this box is going. I'm still leaning towards Enzo..

I know where this box is going though. TMR has a wait list at least 2 months long though! Bummer. By the time it's back I should have the rest of the bike ready to roll.

johnk408
4/29/2022 8:52pm
Not sure in your area. But I got my frame powder coated for $170 including all the prep work. And it only took a few days.
ConnorD11
5/15/2022 3:44pm Edited Date/Time 5/15/2022 3:54pm

Just waiting for my motor and suspension and it’ll be ready to go.

Picked up this lightly used Hinson basket. Also got Hinson fiber plates.
ConnorD11
7/22/2022 5:08pm
Finally got an exciting update.

Tom Morgan.

I cannot believe how good of a job he did and I recommend him 100% to anyone that is doing a project. The rumor that Tom has the best customer service is absolutely true. His work is amazing but his business ethics and attention to each and every customer is amazing. Thank you Tom! I'll be a returning customer.

I got the works done. Cases repaired, OEM crank balanced with new rod, cylinder repaired and replated, TMR's race spec porting work, head repaired and modified for 50/50 fuel blend, all new bottom end bearings, and a new piston. Oh and he blasted the cases, clutch cover, head and cylinder. Look how amazing this stuff turned out!

Post a reply to: 2002 RM 125 basket case

The Latest