SX 125 Factory Replica

Related:
Create New Tag

10/29/2018 5:37 AM

I did some trading over the weekend and ended up with a 2002 KTM SX 125. The bike runs great and has been somewhat taken care of. I would like to make the bike look like Langston and Hughes' 2003 Red Bull 125's. I ordered plastic and a 2003 fuel tank today. If anyone has any pictures of the 2003 factory KTM's I would appreciate it.

Photo
Photo
Photo

|

10/29/2018 6:43 PM

Motocross action tested both Hughes and Langston’s and i think you can still find the write up by googling it. If not, there might be a link from one of their Instagram posts

|

10/29/2018 6:46 PM

|

10/31/2018 5:14 AM

Made a little progress on the bike last night. I ordered all new plastic and an 03 SX tank. My graphics guy is working on the graphics for it now. next on the list is to tear it apart and have the frame powder coated. I had an 04 SX 200 when I was in high school and I always wanted to make it a Red Bull Replica bike, this bike will definitely say in the collection when I'm finished.

Photo
Photo

|

10/31/2018 9:19 AM

This is going to be a great build! Love that era factory KTM's. I had 2002 125 SXS (SXS=special factory tuned version sold to race teams) myself and it's still the fastest 125 I have ever ridden. I truly regret selling that bike

Photo

|

10/31/2018 9:51 AM

Man, the orange plastic makes it look so much better. For some reason the orange/factory bike look makes the bike look completely different.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

10/31/2018 11:09 AM

JMX82 wrote:

This is going to be a great build! Love that era factory KTM's. I had 2002 125 SXS (SXS=special factory tuned version sold to race teams) myself and it's still the fastest 125 I have ever ridden. I truly regret selling that bike

Photo

There is currently a set of forks and shock for a 2002 SXS 125 on eBay right now. I totally thought about buying them but I can't bring myself to spend the money right now. If I could only sell my KX125.

|

11/1/2018 6:41 AM

So I did a little bit more to the bike last night. New seat cover and handlebars. I will be stripping the bike down to the frame this weekend, and sending the frame off to be powder coated. The bike looks 100% better already.

Photo
Photo

I am going to try to strip the anodizing off the outer fork tubes. The anodizing is faded and has marks where cleaners have been used on the bike over time. I sprayed a spot on the forks with oven cleaner last night. I let it set for a couple minutes and then wiped it off. I think it will work pretty good if I let it set on the forks a little longer.

Photo

|

11/1/2018 8:11 AM

jt.hagerty wrote:

There is currently a set of forks and shock for a 2002 SXS 125 on eBay right now. I totally thought about buying them but I can't bring myself to spend the money right now. If I could only sell my KX125.

Maybe you could get newer model twin chamber forks for reasonable price if you can't afford SXS stuff. Stock single chamber forks wheren't that good... I have also seen a picture where newer generation PDS shock was fitted to older KTM

|

11/1/2018 10:59 AM

|

11/2/2018 5:26 AM

I saw a couple sets on ebay for around that price. Right now the goal is to get the bike looking good and running good. after that I'll go through and upgrade the suspension. I stripped the coating off the stock forks and they turned out pretty good. Hard to believe what some oven cleaner, CLR and elbow grease can do.

Photo

|

11/5/2018 5:03 AM

I made some progress on the bike over the weekend. I ordered an exhaust, and graphics will be here Wednesday or Thursday.

I'm more excited about this build than any of my others.

Photo
Photo

|

11/8/2018 9:44 AM

A little sneak peek of the graphics for the bike. Install the graphics and clean up the exhaust and it will be done. At least for now. I can't decided if I want to make it a Hughes replica with his name and number or put my name and number on it. I have both sets of back grounds.

Photo

|

11/12/2018 7:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/31/2019 11:12 AM

Over the weekend I finished putting the bike back together. It still needs a couple small things, new exhaust hangers, rear tire, things like that. I plan on keep adding things to the bike over time, carbon frame guards, vForce reeds, SXS suspension, and I would like to find a Doma expansion chamber to match the Doma silencer that I have on it. I had a set of Hughes number plates and air box covers made as well, incase I want to make it a true replica.



I think it looks like a completely different bike.

Photo
Photo

Photo

|

11/12/2018 3:36 PM

Great looking bike dude!

You may want to look into FMF exhausts for Hughes replica though.. Only GL run the doma exhaust for some reason.

Ironic I've seen this thread and saw that Hughes' old mechanic from his KTM days is still around and was working with Robbie Maddison on his recent ski-bike ordeal.

Loved hearing him shout on the TGO 2 dvd!

|

11/26/2018 8:33 AM

I made a skid plate for the bike over the weekend. I had a P3 Motoflex skid plate for a 2016 TC 125 laying around, I decided to give it a shot on making it fit. I trimmed the outer pieces to make it more of a glide plate instead of a skid plate. I then had to heat it up to get the contour correct. I think it turned out pretty good.

Photo
Photo

|

11/26/2018 2:30 PM

Did 3rd Gen Camero's have rear disks from the factory?

|

11/27/2018 4:48 AM

Spurdo wrote:

Did 3rd Gen Camero's have rear disks from the factory?

It was an option, my car was originally a 4 wheel disk car but it now has brakes off a 1998-2002 Camaro. They are 1" bigger with much better calipers.

|

1/17/2019 9:40 AM

So the bike has been on the back burner for a little bit while I worked on my Camaro. I made a couple purchases today for the bike. I found some cool carbon fiber pieces for the bike I couldn't pass up. I also found a good deal on a FMF pipe, the bad thing about it, the pipe is plated. Anyone know a good way to remove the chrome from a pipe?

Photo
Photo

|

1/23/2019 8:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/31/2019 11:11 AM

A few small parts showed up in the mail yesterday. New clutch guard, rear rotor guard, and the carbon fiber fender brace. A few other parts should be here in the next couple days.

Photo


|

1/25/2019 5:04 AM

I installed the rotor guard last night, the bike is coming along nicely. I have some Cerakote coming, I'm going to try my hand at it. I plan on coating the brake calipers burn bronze. If it works out ok I'm going to coat a few other things.

Photo

|

1/30/2019 6:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/30/2019 6:59 PM

jt.hagerty wrote:

I installed the rotor guard last night, the bike is coming along nicely. I have some Cerakote coming, I'm going to try my hand at it. I plan on coating the brake calipers burn bronze. If it works out ok I'm going to coat a few other things.

Photo

Just came across this thread.. great work man!! You find any honey holes for cool KTM parts from that era?? This is my 1999 SX125 that was my first bike I raced with (back in 01-02)... I've kept up with it despite it not being my main squeeze anymore.. over the past few years I've been getting more and more into making look as trick as possible, but with parts that are period correct for the early 2000s. Took a whole lot of googling, but was super stoked when I scored the NOS carbon fiber SXS ignition cover from some dude in Australia haha. *Almost* pulled the trigger on a new-in-box VHM head from the Netherlands; but thankfully I did enough homework to realize it wouldn't work for my '99. Also, would love to find a nice works/raw looking alternative to that gaudy nickle plated PC Platinum pipe.

Photo

Photo

|

1/31/2019 1:57 AM

jt.hagerty wrote:

I installed the rotor guard last night, the bike is coming along nicely. I have some Cerakote coming, I'm going to try my hand at it. I plan on coating the brake calipers burn bronze. If it works out ok I'm going to coat a few other things.

Photo

Moto Obsessed wrote:

Just came across this thread.. great work man!! You find any honey holes for cool KTM parts from that era?? This is my 1999 SX125 that was my first bike I raced with (back in 01-02)... I've kept up with it despite it not being my main squeeze anymore.. over the past few years I've been getting more and more into making look as trick as possible, but with parts that are period correct for the early 2000s. Took a whole lot of googling, but was super stoked when I scored the NOS carbon fiber SXS ignition cover from some dude in Australia haha. *Almost* pulled the trigger on a new-in-box VHM head from the Netherlands; but thankfully I did enough homework to realize it wouldn't work for my '99. Also, would love to find a nice works/raw looking alternative to that gaudy nickle plated PC Platinum pipe.

Photo

Photo

Mate you can get the chrome removed at any chrome place then polish it for the works pipe look

|

1/31/2019 4:49 AM

Moto Obsessed wrote:

Just came across this thread.. great work man!! You find any honey holes for cool KTM parts from that era?? This is my 1999 SX125 that was my first bike I raced with (back in 01-02)... I've kept up with it despite it not being my main squeeze anymore.. over the past few years I've been getting more and more into making look as trick as possible, but with parts that are period correct for the early 2000s. Took a whole lot of googling, but was super stoked when I scored the NOS carbon fiber SXS ignition cover from some dude in Australia haha. *Almost* pulled the trigger on a new-in-box VHM head from the Netherlands; but thankfully I did enough homework to realize it wouldn't work for my '99. Also, would love to find a nice works/raw looking alternative to that gaudy nickle plated PC Platinum pipe.

Photo

Photo

That's an awesome looking bike. Most of the stuff that I've found has been on eBay or Facebook KTM groups. I agree with the exhaust. I wish I could find a non plated FMF or Doma, at least one that someone didn't want my first born son for.

That ignition cover is amazing!!! One of those is definitely high on my want list.

|

2/12/2019 6:02 PM

Was this the year with the silver front fender and number plate?

|

2/13/2019 5:04 AM

Dillpickle312 wrote:

Was this the year with the silver front fender and number plate?

2001 and 2002 factory race bikes had the silver fender. I read that Red Bull actually asked to have the silver fenders.

Photo

|

2/13/2019 10:25 AM

I found some on eBay they seen pretty rare

|

2/13/2019 11:42 AM

saunders126 wrote:

Motocross action tested both Hughes and Langston’s and i think you can still find the write up by googling it. If not, there might be a link from one of their Instagram posts

I have that MXA, I can post it up if u want...

|

2/13/2019 11:54 AM

saunders126 wrote:

Motocross action tested both Hughes and Langston’s and i think you can still find the write up by googling it. If not, there might be a link from one of their Instagram posts

sandman768 wrote:

I have that MXA, I can post it up if u want...

I actually found my copy of the newer MXA where they reprinted the article. My 1 year old son was throwing my magazines across the room and I found it while I was picking them up. I was mad at him until I found the mag.

|

2/18/2019 4:39 AM

Over the weekend I tried my hand at coating some parts in Cerakote. After a trial or two on some old parts, I think these turned out pretty good. I can't wait to get everything installed on the bike.

Photo
Photo

|