2002 CR250 build

Related:
Create New Tag

9/30/2017 7:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/30/2017 4:02 PM

I'm horrible at remembering to take process pictures but anyhow, I came up with this extremely clean CR250 a few months ago. I've always loved the look of the third gen CR's so this was perfect. I traded my heavily used 05 YZ125 straight across for this bike and I'm still not sure how I got that done. Anyhow, after I got the bike I decided to ride it a few times before I tore into it. Long story short I KO'ed myself at Oak Hill on it so I decided to put it to the side and start the build.

These are from the sale ad
Photo

Photo

The day I got it home

Photo


Photo

Now the real fun began. I decided to make the bike as new as possible so i ordered every chassis bearing and every engine bearing/seal, and also an 07 crank.

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Again I'm awful at process pictures. Got the engine back together and chassis finished with everything returned to new.

Photo

Photo

I sent the suspension to Galvan Schafer at EVO central in Plainview, Texas to Kashima coat the uppers and TiNi the lowers. I thought about switching to newer crf suspension but he assured me he could make the original just as good. While waiting I scored a set of wheels. DID STX hoops with Talon hubs. The hubs are a bit faded but for $300 it works.
Photo

Photo

The suspension is finally back so I will be picking that up this weekend. I can't wait to have this thing out on the track again!

|

9/30/2017 8:57 AM

Subed..

Are you planning on doing any engine mod work ? It doesn't take much to wake up these CR case reed engines. It's like waking up a sleeping GIANT ! The 3rd gen AF CR2 is the best chassis, suspension & engine combo owned or ridden to date...

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

9/30/2017 9:19 AM

Agree with H4L- the Gen 3 Honda chassis is very good. It combines good turning with good high speed stability. The bikes are also very dependable. The engines respond very well to mods. Large improvements to the stock engine are not difficult to achieve.

|

9/30/2017 9:26 AM

H4L wrote:

Subed..

Are you planning on doing any engine mod work ? It doesn't take much to wake up these CR case reed engines. It's like waking up a sleeping GIANT ! The 3rd gen AF CR2 is the best chassis, suspension & engine combo owned or ridden to date...

I'm going to put some time on it as is so that I will appreciate it more. When the time comes for a new piston I plan to have the cylinder and head worked over. So far I can't complain about the power, not near as much hit as the KTM 300 kit I had on my 250sx, but very linear. The handling is incredible compared to my '15 KX450F.

|

9/30/2017 10:46 AM

A couple pictures from Galvan (@evo412 on instagram)

Photo

Photo

|

9/30/2017 11:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/30/2017 11:39 AM

bowens971 wrote:

I'm going to put some time on it as is so that I will appreciate it more. When the time comes for a new piston I plan to have the cylinder and head worked over. So far I can't complain about the power, not near as much hit as the KTM 300 kit I had on my 250sx, but very linear. The handling is incredible compared to my '15 KX450F.

Yup. The engines are underrated & have plenty of power in stock form with just some fine tuning of the carb & a 13/50 gear combo.. With mods on an 03 engine it feels like it has more power than 5 CRF450r's owned. With the right port timing / head mod done it will have a broad & potent powerband due to the engine design. The topend / overev is unmatched in comparison to the other manufacturer 250 2t's ridden with mods as well.

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

9/30/2017 12:15 PM

Good call on the 07 crank. I'm a huge fan of the CR's. I've had quite a few of them and now a 07 CR125. Suspension looks beautiful!

|

9/30/2017 12:21 PM

I know this is bad timing cause you just built your motor, but I know where you can get a complete 07 CR250 motor with extremely low hours for about $1500.

|

9/30/2017 5:12 PM

Building my 02 right now. What’s the advantage of the 07 crank?

|

9/30/2017 5:41 PM

nice score man! those bikes do look sweet. I know one guy has a build thread on here for a very tricked out cr if you need any ideas!

|

9/30/2017 5:42 PM

on a side note, what advantage does the case induction have over cylinder induction?

|

9/30/2017 5:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/30/2017 5:54 PM

omalley wrote:

Building my 02 right now. What’s the advantage of the 07 crank?

The 02 crank has a tin casing around it, from what I've read it's come apart in some cases. The 07 crank drops right in and solves any of those problems. If I recall it's weighted differently as well. All of my knowledge on the subject has come from countless hours of scouring vital so I'm not a know all by any means, others feel free to add in.

|

9/30/2017 8:23 PM

omalley wrote:

Building my 02 right now. What’s the advantage of the 07 crank?

bowens971 wrote:

The 02 crank has a tin casing around it, from what I've read it's come apart in some cases. The 07 crank drops right in and solves any of those problems. If I recall it's weighted differently as well. All of my knowledge on the subject has come from countless hours of scouring vital so I'm not a know all by any means, others feel free to add in.

Thanks, makes sense. Was getting ready to split the cases on mine so this is good timing...

|

10/1/2017 8:24 AM

omalley wrote:

Building my 02 right now. What’s the advantage of the 07 crank?

bowens971 wrote:

The 02 crank has a tin casing around it, from what I've read it's come apart in some cases. The 07 crank drops right in and solves any of those problems. If I recall it's weighted differently as well. All of my knowledge on the subject has come from countless hours of scouring vital so I'm not a know all by any means, others feel free to add in.

That is correct. The 02-04 (same as prior CR yrs.) models will have a tin around the crank that acts like a splash shield. For 05-07 Honda removed the tins & made the crank slightly heavier. That being said I've owned an 02 & 03 that have never had any issues with the 02 still being on the oem crank.
I've read about 1 or 2 failures on social media since these bikes 1st came out in 02. That is a real small percentage & would contribute that to past due hrs. on a crank service interval. Especially if the bike was raced.

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

10/1/2017 8:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/1/2017 9:23 AM

rollin64caddy wrote:

on a side note, what advantage does the case induction have over cylinder induction?

Stock vs. stock on a CR250 from my experience a case reed induction engine will produce about 5 hp more vs. the HPP piston port design. RC's 02-03 factory HRC engine was putting out close to 58-60 hp. depending on what mx mag you read back then. I talked to the main engine guy at PC back in 03 or 04 about the differences of the 2 engines. Although he didn't go into detail he commented that the case reed engine design allowed for it to make more power.
I've seen a PR2 dyno chart on TT a few yrs back with an 05-07 model putting out aprox. 55 hp on pump fuel. That is impressive considering the current 450 models are making 57-58 hp.

https://thumpertalk.com/uploads/monthly_11_2013/post-83869-0-89183500-1385396526.jpg


|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

10/2/2017 8:59 AM

After several months the suspension is back on the bike! I still have a few more things to do before it's ready for the track but I couldn't resist a couple pictures. I will get better pictures soon, but for now here's these.

Photo

Photo

Photo

Now to decide on plastics and graphics. I'm still not sure which direction I want to go there. I'm torn between an 02 RC replica, a 2005 MC replica, or do the graphics Honda of Troy themed. There's something about that 5th dragon hologram that has always caught my eye!

|

10/2/2017 8:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/2/2017 8:22 PM

Looks awesome dude! Love the suspension. Why the stock pipe in your photos? The one it came with looked pretty fresh.

Also get that duck bill front fender outta there! smile

|

10/2/2017 8:32 PM

yjgfikl wrote:

Looks awesome dude! Love the suspension. Why the stock pipe in your photos? The one it came with looked pretty fresh.

Also get that duck bill front fender outta there! smile

Thank you I appreciate that. I absolutely cannot stand plated two stroke pipes, I'm working on stripping the paint off the stocker until I get a freebie Pro Circuit refurbished. It's all personal preference!

|

10/2/2017 8:37 PM

bowens971 wrote:

Thank you I appreciate that. I absolutely cannot stand plated two stroke pipes, I'm working on stripping the paint off the stocker until I get a freebie Pro Circuit refurbished. It's all personal preference!

I gotcha man! I love the look of a raw pipe as well, but didn't want to deal with the maintenance. Those things are so difficult to keep corrosion-free.

|

10/3/2017 10:07 AM

I have a couple of these in the garage, I just need your suspension, what did it roughly cost you?? Nice build btw

|

10/3/2017 4:49 PM

rollin64caddy wrote:

on a side note, what advantage does the case induction have over cylinder induction?

H4L wrote:

Stock vs. stock on a CR250 from my experience a case reed induction engine will produce about 5 hp more vs. the HPP piston port design. RC's 02-03 factory HRC engine was putting out close to 58-60 hp. depending on what mx mag you read back then. I talked to the main engine guy at PC back in 03 or 04 about the differences of the 2 engines. Although he didn't go into detail he commented that the case reed engine design allowed for it to make more power.
I've seen a PR2 dyno chart on TT a few yrs back with an 05-07 model putting out aprox. 55 hp on pump fuel. That is impressive considering the current 450 models are making 57-58 hp.

https://thumpertalk.com/uploads/monthly_11_2013/post-83869-0-89183500-1385396526.jpg


that's some serious numbers! great info. thanks!

|

10/3/2017 7:47 PM

jbrass715 wrote:

I have a couple of these in the garage, I just need your suspension, what did it roughly cost you?? Nice build btw

Galvan takes care of me though I will say that the retail number he gave was $2500 with valving done and everything replaced. The down time is pretty lengthy on the Kashima so plan ahead.


Plans to ride the bike stock are now out the window. My good friend asked to race the bike at the upcoming Ponca Motoplayground race in the pro class since he's between bikes. What kind of a friend would I be if I sent him to the gate on a dead stock bike?! Robert Reynard will be working the motor over next week, it should be an absolute screamer!

|