2001 yz125

Related:
Create New Tag

1/7/2018 1:33 PM

My budget for this build was pretty small as a result of currently attending college however i had a lot of time over christmas break to work on it and i was able to put a ton of time into fixing up old parts. The motor on this bike is still running strong however just about every seal that can leak is leaking, all of the cables are messed up and there were a lot of little things on the bike that were just not in good shape so i ended up stripping everything down and replacing a lot of small bits and pieces. In order to save money and hopefully get a little bit of performance back i spent some good time burning carbon out of the pipe with a propane torch and repacked the silencer. Other than that pretty much everything i have done is done to simply bring it back to good running order or cosmetic.
Photo

Most of the parts i replaced weren't too exciting. I did end up replacing the throttle tube with a tusk bearing version because even after rebuilding several times i was unable to keep the stock throttle from sticking. It turns out that even with the bearing tube it had a little bit of stick and when i took it apart again i realized that where the flange on the old throttle tube rotated inside of the throttle housing had been wearing down the old tube into a fine dust and the dust had actually been building up on the housing causing a lot of friction so i was able to scrape away at that and now the throttle is buttery smooth.

I ended up replacing the chain guide with a cheap primary drive guide so i am curious as to how well that will hold up.

One other thing that i found very interesting is that the spacer on the bolt that bolts the pipe hanger to the frame had been replaced by a socket and i figured i had better order the oem part in case they were slightly different sizes i wanted to make sure that it wasn't causing the pipe to mate with the head at an odd angle and contribute to my mess of oil at that seal. When i went to mount the pipe with the original spacer i could not get the pipe to fit with it because it was several mm longer than the socket that was currently being used. Has anybody had any experiences with this or know what would cause the longer factory space not to fit?


Photo

Now onto cosmetics

I ended up stripping the whole frame down to bare metal. I polished up the aluminum subframe and in order to stay in budget i decided to go with an automotive paint covered by an activated clear coat that is supposed to harden and resist chipping. My friend has had it on his truck axles for almost a year now and his still looks great even after a lot of off road use. The color was mixed up into a rattle can for me and i used a brush on primer. It was a battle keeping my shop warm enough to paint in but i managed to get the frame painted however i am worried that i may not have sanded my primer coat well enough because upon reassembly the paint was flaking off easier than i would like to see around the areas that i was screwing bolts into. Hopefully the paint holds up ok!


Photo

I ended up taking a wire wheel to the pipe to strip the paint off and polish it then i took a propane torch to the welds to bring the color back out of them! From what i understand it can be a bit of maintenance running a raw steel pipe but if it gets too bad i will just shoot it with some bbq paint.



Photo

Photo

To wrap it all up my friend designed some custom graphics for it. He is really good at making these old 2 strokes look much more modern and agressive. I decided not to update the front number plate and fender just to keep things simple. I also threw on a cheap 20 dollar seat cover from rocky mountain. The fitment was a bit tricky and we ended up having to cut some relief points on the back side of the cover where the seams come together in the corners to avoid bunching but other than that i am very impressed by the seat cover, expecially for only 20 bucks.

I bought the bike for 1300 a year or two ago and over that time i maybe put 200 dollars into it. with this build i was under 600 so for just over 2 grand i am very happy with how this bike has turned out!


Photo


Photo

|

1/11/2018 11:02 AM

That turned out great! Nicely done.

|