2001 YZ 250 steely frame

portroyal
Edited Date/Time 12/2/2017 8:00am
Just scored an amazing deal on this bad boy. $500 for everything in the picture. The dam thing started up first kick!

Just peeled the entire thing apart and sending the swing arm and frame off to get powder coated. Going with either an anodized bronze or dark root beer, still haven't made my mind up.

This is my very first build, and also very first two stroke. Extremely excited to start this journey, and learn everything I possibly can in the process.

|
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
11/20/2017 10:21am
Nice!! We picked up a 98 for $500 a couple years ago. Still messing with the carb, but it’s clean. I put some newer forks and triple clamps on it and newer front fender and number plate. I can’t wait until it’s all finished.

What are your plans with this one?
portroyal
11/20/2017 11:34am
Bitchen steal man! What's wrong with the carb?

Just got all the plastics and everything, the only thing I need to do is ship my forks off to racetech to get an entire rebuild and gold valve setup (I don't do suspension).

Just want to get this thing on the track to start practicing as I've been out for two years. Once I get the spare $ I'm gonna have my brother at FASTER USA build my hubs and rim setup.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
11/20/2017 11:41am
portroyal wrote:
Bitchen steal man! What's wrong with the carb? Just got all the plastics and everything, the only thing I need to do is ship my forks...
Bitchen steal man! What's wrong with the carb?

Just got all the plastics and everything, the only thing I need to do is ship my forks off to racetech to get an entire rebuild and gold valve setup (I don't do suspension).

Just want to get this thing on the track to start practicing as I've been out for two years. Once I get the spare $ I'm gonna have my brother at FASTER USA build my hubs and rim setup.
Nice!! These bikes are pretty sweet. And if you ever want to update the front end it’s prettu easy. Once we get these things together and running right, we will have to meet up and ride em!

I have to mess with the float level. Too much fuel and it’s bogging between 1/4-3/4 throttle. Below 1/4 and above 3/4 throttle it runs great. Had it for a while and still haven’t taken it to the track yet haha

The Shop

portroyal
11/20/2017 11:55am
I've heard these front ends need upgrading, what's the difference between these styles and the re-vamped front ends?

Dayum dude she looks clean! Mines in a box right now, can't wait to get this frame powder coated.

You in socal?
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
11/20/2017 12:00pm
portroyal wrote:
I've heard these front ends need upgrading, what's the difference between these styles and the re-vamped front ends? Dayum dude she looks clean! Mines in a...
I've heard these front ends need upgrading, what's the difference between these styles and the re-vamped front ends?

Dayum dude she looks clean! Mines in a box right now, can't wait to get this frame powder coated.

You in socal?
I don’t think the suspension is horrible on them, but I found a set of 05 forks for $275 on eBay and clamps from an 07 yz250f for $75. I just wanted the newer stuff. I just had to have the stems swapped into the new clamps and they mounted right up. I’m looking forward to finally riding it soon.

Ya I’m about 5 minutes from magic mountain.
portroyal
11/20/2017 12:09pm
portroyal wrote:
I've heard these front ends need upgrading, what's the difference between these styles and the re-vamped front ends? Dayum dude she looks clean! Mines in a...

You in socal?
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I don’t think the suspension is horrible on them, but I found a set of 05 forks for $275 on eBay and clamps from an 07...
I don’t think the suspension is horrible on them, but I found a set of 05 forks for $275 on eBay and clamps from an 07 yz250f for $75. I just wanted the newer stuff. I just had to have the stems swapped into the new clamps and they mounted right up. I’m looking forward to finally riding it soon.

What's the difference? I know the newer style is better but I've never known why.

Awesome man, I plan on having this thing done by January so we shall rip around then!
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
11/20/2017 12:29pm Edited Date/Time 11/20/2017 12:30pm
portroyal wrote:

You in socal?
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I don’t think the suspension is horrible on them, but I found a set of 05 forks for $275 on eBay and clamps from an 07...

portroyal wrote:
What's the difference? I know the newer style is better but I've never known why. Awesome man, I plan on having this thing done by January...
What's the difference? I know the newer style is better but I've never known why.

Awesome man, I plan on having this thing done by January so we shall rip around then!
All of the internals are different. I don’t know all of the specifics but I do know the newer stuff works better. At some point I’ll get 06 or newer forks for it, but for now the 05 forks will work fine.

Sounds good to me man!
portroyal
11/20/2017 12:32pm Edited Date/Time 12/2/2017 5:56am
hmmm wonder since I'm getting the revalve by racetech anyways if it will matter.

Hopefully somebody with further knowledge will comment below haha.

But I do know the SSS forks are superior, just haven’t a clue as to what makes them better.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
11/20/2017 12:34pm
portroyal wrote:
hmmm wonder since I'm getting the revalve by racetech anyways if it will matter. Hopefully somebody with further knowledge will comment below haha. But I do...
hmmm wonder since I'm getting the revalve by racetech anyways if it will matter.

But I do know the SSS forks are superior, just haven’t a clue as to what makes them better.
I’m sure they will soon haha. I’m sure the stuff on the bikes is perfectly fine though. Have you thought about sending your stuff to Enzo?
portroyal
11/20/2017 12:38pm Edited Date/Time 12/1/2017 9:43pm
portroyal wrote:
hmmm wonder since I'm getting the revalve by racetech anyways if it will matter. Hopefully somebody with further knowledge will comment below haha. But I do...

mattyhamz2 wrote:
I’m sure they will soon haha. I’m sure the stuff on the bikes is perfectly fine though. Have you thought about sending your stuff to Enzo?
No I haven't, only because I can get cheaper cost at race tech.
portroyal
11/20/2017 7:00pm
Congrats man I just picked up an 01 yesterday as well! On MC’s birthday come to find out! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/11/20/226542/s1200_EE4F1CAA_FD92_4FD1_AF3D_10354D8F5833.jpg
Congrats man I just picked up an 01 yesterday as well! On MC’s birthday come to find out! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/11/20/226542/s1200_EE4F1CAA_FD…
Nice man, that's in great shape!
potatoflake
11/21/2017 7:22am
Congrats man I just picked up an 01 yesterday as well! On MC’s birthday come to find out! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/11/20/226542/s1200_EE4F1CAA_FD92_4FD1_AF3D_10354D8F5833.jpg
Congrats man I just picked up an 01 yesterday as well! On MC’s birthday come to find out! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/11/20/226542/s1200_EE4F1CAA_FD…
portroyal wrote:
Nice man, that's in great shape!
Thanks! I’m pumped on it! rode it a little Sunday afternoon and I can’t believe how much more fun this thing is than my 250f

I’m planning on re building the entire bike over the winter then either going with the 2001 MC replica look or sticking to oem which I’m undecided on

I can see my 250f doing a lot of sitting once this thing is done!
potatoflake
11/21/2017 7:30am
portroyal wrote:

You in socal?
mattyhamz2 wrote:

You should post a ride review once you get to try the forks out! I’m on the fence about the sss swap since I’m mainly a pro practicer but if the difference is pretty big I will probably bite the bullet
portroyal
11/21/2017 7:32am
portroyal wrote:

You in socal?
mattyhamz2 wrote:

You should post a ride review once you get to try the forks out! I’m on the fence about the sss swap since I’m mainly a...
You should post a ride review once you get to try the forks out! I’m on the fence about the sss swap since I’m mainly a pro practicer but if the difference is pretty big I will probably bite the bullet
Sounds good, it will be the 01 style front end with race tech gold valve's/springs etc.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
11/22/2017 11:44am
portroyal wrote:

You in socal?
mattyhamz2 wrote:

You should post a ride review once you get to try the forks out! I’m on the fence about the sss swap since I’m mainly a...
I will for sure. Hoping to get some time tonight and tomorrow to mess with the carb and get her running right.
FWYT
11/23/2017 8:07am
mattyhamz2 wrote:

Yeah, I was going to add that as well- that later model triple clamps will fit and then
build out the matching components from there. I do think there is a difference between '05 and '06 though?
with the diameter of the bottom clamp? Double check that.

I'm working on a '95 and it seems that '08 clamps will fit so then I'm going to match out the other
front end pieces from there.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
11/23/2017 11:19am
mattyhamz2 wrote:

FWYT wrote:
Yeah, I was going to add that as well- that later model triple clamps will fit and then build out the matching components from there. I...
Yeah, I was going to add that as well- that later model triple clamps will fit and then
build out the matching components from there. I do think there is a difference between '05 and '06 though?

I'm working on a '95 and it seems that '08 clamps will fit so then I'm going to match out the other
I’m not 100% sure if there is a difference, but the 05 forks fit in the 07 clamps perfectly. It’s cool to see what everyone does with these older bikes.
11/24/2017 7:44am
FWYT wrote:
Yeah, I was going to add that as well- that later model triple clamps will fit and then build out the matching components from there. I...

05 clamps are the same diameter as later years, but have the bores 1mm closer together; if you mix the top clamp with a different year bottom or vice versa, the forks will be misaligned and bind up.

As long as you use a complete set from the same year, you’re good to go.

I dislike the 05 clamps because of the solid bar mounts; much easier to buy later year oem used clamps and press in the stem.
portroyal
12/2/2017 5:54am
05 clamps are the same diameter as later years, but have the bores 1mm closer together; if you mix the top clamp with a different year...
05 clamps are the same diameter as later years, but have the bores 1mm closer together; if you mix the top clamp with a different year bottom or vice versa, the forks will be misaligned and bind up.

As long as you use a complete set from the same year, you’re good to go.

I dislike the 05 clamps because of the solid bar mounts; much easier to buy later year oem used clamps and press in the stem.
Hey I appreciate the help man, as of right now I’m just gonna run a race tech revalve setup. Don’t have the $ to do a full SSS conversion, rather upgrade the clutch and brakes as of right now.

But, I’m keeping this advice for hopefully doing the swap later this year.
mxracer71
Fantasy
2449th
12/2/2017 8:00am
nice find! Im in lake elsinore and I'm always trying to find a good project bike. I have my eye on a 2001 cr 250 complete bike for 800 bucks that needs a full rebuild. Hopefully after the holidays

Post a reply to: 2001 YZ 250 steely frame

The Latest