2000 cr 250 on a budget build

mxracer71
Fantasy
2449th
Edited Date/Time 11/13/2018 7:35pm
So this is somthing I've wanted to do for quite along time. Maybe I'm old school (I'm 40) but I'm not a fan of these 4strokes at all. Ive ridden them and honestly they make you lazy on the bike. Its been a while since i rode and had a bike (typical life situation) but now i was ready....Do i just suck it up and by a 4 stroke or do i find a 2 stroke that is already cleaned up or do i but a project bike and make it my own? So i picked #3....im going to find a bike and build it how i want it built(on a budget that is). So the first thing i told myself i wanted a 2000 cr 250( i bought this bike when i was younger and i loved this bike). I wanted to build this bike how i built my last 2000 cr 250. I had the gold wheels and talons hubs,amsoil sticker kit,fmf pipe and silencer etc. So after a while of looking i found my project bike. The bike was hammered, both wheels were cracked, spokes frozen, front forks leaking fluid, plastic completely wasted etc. So the previous owner actually cracked the frame back in the early 2000s and had it welded but bought a 2001 frame also for a back up if the weld didn't hold up. The first thing i did was tear the bike down to a million pieces.I ended swapping out the 2000 frame for the 2001 frame which was way cleaner with very little use on it. I got a scotchbright pad and sanded the hell out of everything on this bike.My fingers were completely toast.I had to install all new headset bearings, wheels bearings.I ordered new wheels and spokes and had them laced up on the stock hubs.The bike came with a rear ohlins shock which I'm pretty happy with so far (still getting it dialed in after one trip to the track)after a lot of cleaning, replacing here are my pictures of my project. Im happy what it came out looking like. I still need to get my graphic kit but for the most part it is done.it was a lot of fun building this bike up to my personal liking.

|
mxracer71
Fantasy
2449th
3/2/2018 7:00pm
Theneil300 wrote:
That's a clean dirt scooter
it definitely put a smile on my face when I got to ride it.
ledger
3/2/2018 10:31pm
Wow....Very nice. I've been think'n of putting the 2000 motor in my 06, I've heard it's much smoother and I'm not getting any younger. Once again, good look'n bike.
mxracer71
Fantasy
2449th
3/10/2018 6:00am
thanks ledger.... im digging that old yamaha in your avatar. That would be the perfect bike for the day in the dirt. Hopefully going to get it dirty this weekend

The Shop

mxracer71
Fantasy
2449th
11/13/2018 7:35pm Edited Date/Time 11/13/2018 7:47pm
its been sometime since ive updated this. I ended up ditching the rear ohlins shock since it was blown and leaking out of the adjuster nut and went and found a near new 2004 cr250 rear shock that is mint. I was trying to search and find a good graphic kit for this bike. Since its only a 2 year bike finding a good graphic is hard to find. i ended up ordering this from red label mx and i had them do up the 2018 geico team bike. I think it turned out well. For the most part im done except for some little things. Ive ridden it about 4 times and couldn't be happier. Time to get her dirty!

Post a reply to: 2000 cr 250 on a budget build

The Latest