2000 YZ125

JB500
Edited Date/Time 9/10/2019 8:01pm
Hi guys. I picked this bike up a week ago after keeping my eyes peeled for several months. I was looking for a mid-late 90’s YZ125 or YZ250. It seemed like every one I saw for sale had “new top end” “new” this or that...and would look like they were dragging behind a truck for 10 miles.....ok, clarification: I was looking to spend $1500 or less. Perhaps that’s the reason. Anyway, I did find it amusing that none of these bikes were ever raced, but all could pull “sick wheelies in any gear”. Then I found one about 5 hours away. I spoke to the guy who had it, and he was very nice. The day before I was to get that, another popped up for sale 40 minutes north of me....it was at my price limit I’d told my wife I’d stay within, albeit at the top, but it was the one. The owner was extremely nice and genuine guy. It couldn’t have worked out better. So my son and I went and snagged it. Throughout this week I’ve been up late tearing down and building back up my budget class race machine. New top end, several chassis bearings, I had a set of 971 Renthals laying around, and a bunch of little OEM parts, fasteners, etc. I was lucky this thing was in pretty good shape for the start. I’m planning to ride it at Log Road and Red Bud this weekend....provided it fires and is ready to go...I’m optimistic. Here are a few photos of my progress from this week so far. I got the shock bearings, swing arm bearings, and front wheel bearings put in at work this afternoon and mounted this evening. I’m hoping to get the rest together and fired up tomorrow. I will have $1,856 in this thing. It still needs tires and a few other refinements that I’ll do this winter, including stock replica graphics and a handful of other things, but I just can’t wait to ride it. I had a new 05 YZ 125 and the last time I rode one of these was in 2006. I’ll update tomorrow. Thanks for reading, and any jetting tips, or otherwise are gladly accepted!

|
Lasse
Fantasy
2963rd
8/28/2019 10:55pm
Is that a Namura piston?
JB500
8/29/2019 3:10am
Lasse wrote:
Is that a Namura piston?
No, it is a Pro-x. I’m usually a Vertex guy, but thought I’d give this a try. Will change it out in 15 hours, so we’ll see how it fares.
JB500
9/9/2019 1:08pm
Keep us updated, looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Thanks Travis. I rode the bike last weekend at Log Road and Red Bud. Didn’t even start my 250F, the 125 was so fun. I got a lesson on how some things work on the bike, and also remembered the hard way that these forks have compression adjusters on the bottom and rebound on the top....wow, talk about a rough ride when things are backwards...So it’s a build and ride project now. Yesterday i noticed oil still dripping off the drain plug, and after some investigation, I believe it’s coming from the clutch side crank case gasket. So I disassembled last night and ordered parts. Should be in tomorrow. Looking so forward to riding this again, hopefully this weekend.

The Shop

RABnasty
9/9/2019 10:36pm
Reading your thread about your comments on suspension. I don’t know jack shit about suspension but am setting up a 96 Yz. I’m 185lb novice any pointers?
JB500
9/10/2019 6:39pm
RABnasty wrote:
Reading your thread about your comments on suspension. I don’t know jack shit about suspension but am setting up a 96 Yz. I’m 185lb novice any...
Reading your thread about your comments on suspension. I don’t know jack shit about suspension but am setting up a 96 Yz. I’m 185lb novice any pointers?
I will be sorting mine out more this weekend and will report back. I really need to see what is in this thing for springs and oil heights. I will be opening up the suspension this winter for that. For now, I’ll see if I can find a decent setting and let you know. By the way, I’m a 165 lb +30 intermediate.
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1089th
9/10/2019 8:01pm
Keep us updated, looking forward to seeing the finished product.
JB500 wrote:
Thanks Travis. I rode the bike last weekend at Log Road and Red Bud. Didn’t even start my 250F, the 125 was so fun. I got...
Thanks Travis. I rode the bike last weekend at Log Road and Red Bud. Didn’t even start my 250F, the 125 was so fun. I got a lesson on how some things work on the bike, and also remembered the hard way that these forks have compression adjusters on the bottom and rebound on the top....wow, talk about a rough ride when things are backwards...So it’s a build and ride project now. Yesterday i noticed oil still dripping off the drain plug, and after some investigation, I believe it’s coming from the clutch side crank case gasket. So I disassembled last night and ordered parts. Should be in tomorrow. Looking so forward to riding this again, hopefully this weekend.
Rad, i hot one that will probably be a long term project, but these bikes were so fun. Can't wait till i can throw a leg over it.
JB500
10/4/2019 8:04pm
Been doing little things to this bike lately. Just got OEM style graphics, albeit for a 2001....it’s closer than what I had, and will do for the short term. Cleaned the white airbox of the old stickers and gunk...it turned out well. I have a few more OEM stickers to order, swing arm, fender tip “Yamaha” stickers, etc. planning to do my first Evo5 vintage race this Sunday with it, and so excited. I’m going to ride this as much as I can this fall, then dive back into some engine items this winter. Clutch basket could use replacing, things like that. Love this thing. Reminds me of being a teenager again every time I work on or ride it. So enjoyable.

Post a reply to: 2000 YZ125

The Latest