1999 YZ125 Junk Pile Build

Related:
Create New Tag

3/27/2018 1:31 PM

So I was convinced by a friend to not build two of the same bike, and put the KDX parts and CRF parts up for sale. Now that I have the KTM more or less sorted and setup for the trails, I needed something new to pull my hair out in frustration over. I've never been to the track and will be taking my KTM to practice day or 2 soon..But having to take all of the trail gear off for the track will get annoying really quickly. So I have justified it to myself that I need a bike JUST for the track.

Enter the YZs I bought. Two of them. No before pictures, but I bought the first one, a 1999 with just an intact engine that turned over at a yardsale, for 160 dollars. It was missing the tanks, plastics, seat, etc. I brought it home and splashed some premix into the carb throat and it started right up.

Now I needed everything else! Browsing the next day I saw a 1997 with a locked up bottom end a few hours away in Arizona. The story went that the mom had bought the (now) adult daughter the bike a few years ago, and had blown it up. Shortly after, said daughter ran off and got pregnant, and they were no longer on speaking terms. Title in the mom's name, picked it up for $150. Unfortunately the tank was cracked on this bike, which was the whole reason I bought it! Now I have many many spare parts at least.

I bought an oversize tank for an 02+ bike and made some brackets to mount it, (which did not work very well I might add,) and put together one hodgepodge clapped out bike and rode it one single day. It turns out the right main was not sealing, and it drank all the transmission oil before blowing the right main. So now we are here, with several large boxes of junk.

The bikes are all mostly apart, the engines stripped down. A little cleaning on the cases. I traded the oversize tank for an oem 02+ tank, which has been documented to line up alright with some DIY brackets. I'm going to try and keep this on the cheap and take my time with it.

Total costs to date: $435 Subtracting the money in parts sold off the spare bike so far. Including new tank, top end, main bearings, transmission bearings, gaskets, and seals. Crank is still A-OK and will be reused along with the rod. Cylinder looks alright as well. If anyone needs any parts from the 97 it's all for sale! Hoping to make a little money back on the spares. The blue YZ came with a mint FMF fatty setup..Which will be going for sale. I have a very dented Pro Circuit platinum setup that I will be repairing. The $150 I'm asking to get back from the FMF setup can go towards other parts, and I will probably end up crashing it and making it ugly anways tongue

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

4/13/2018 6:03 PM

Had some other stuff to work on but back on the YZ now! Not looking too shabby for a 20 year old set of cases. need to work the compound out of the cracks and see if I have patience for any more. I started shooting a little video series on how to do all the things you need to do to put yourself a bike together from the frame up. So far just a little instructional on how to reassemble your cases, if that's your type of thing.

&t=

Photo
|

4/14/2018 12:30 AM

Nice!!! Love seeing a bring-it-back-to-life project.

|