1999 KX125

Edited Date/Time 8/18/2021 5:36pm
What’s up guys, I picked up a 1999 Kx125 about 3 weeks ago for a hell of a deal that I could not refuse. She cranks up first kick every time. Just a couple of issues I was aware of when I picked it up. 1-needs a clutch,clutch cable and clutch lever, 2-rear shock “broke” according to PO, 3-needs a slip on. He lost it in the woods and never turned back to get it. 4-needs rear brake caliper. My plan is to fix these issues to get it rideable. Ride it until I get one of my loans paid off which will be in about a month or two. Then start buying parts to completely give this thing a makeover. Powder the frame and subframe, new plastics,new bars,IMS gas tank, stainless bolt kit, seat cover, Complete FMF exhaust, new radiators, new hoses all over, new braided brake lines, new chain and sprockets, new levers and some other things I’m probably forgetting
|
8/1/2021 11:37am
Tore into it this past week to start fixing the none rideable issues, clutch kit, lever and cable are on the way from RockymountainATVMC, I pulled the rear shock off to discover it’s not actually broke, just the bottom piece that holds the bolt unthreaded itself. I’m sending it to pro action suspension tomorrow for a complete rebuild and my cousin is giving me a slip on he had laying around this week as well. Gonna order everything rear brake related next Friday. Oh yeah, and I noticed one of the rear wheel spikes is gone so I’m pulling both wheels off today and taking them to the local dirtbike shop to replace the one and check all the others

8/1/2021 2:27pm
Got both wheels off, super tempted to just go ahead the rest of the way to the frame and go ahead and powder coat. But I’m gonna wait until I have all the parts so everything is fresh
quiknic
Fantasy
1093rd
8/1/2021 3:05pm
Take it all the way down and Powdercoat the frame. That way you are sure to clean, degrease or replace any bearings and components that are in need. You will feel much better knowing that it is a solid and safe bike. While you have the motor out at least check the top end rod while the cylinder is off. A few dollars in gaskets and rings is much better than riding it and then finding the issues.

The Shop

mxracer666
8/1/2021 4:11pm
anyone that would ride a bike til the rear shock got in that condition is suspect. Do the right thing and tear down the whole bike before riding it to prevent any accidents and/or problems.
RockMeAmadeus
Fantasy
2266th
8/1/2021 9:09pm Edited Date/Time 8/1/2021 9:11pm
I just restored a 1999 KX125 myself. Received it in similar condition as yours - very rough around the edges. I tried to do minor things but realized quickly that this would be a complete teardown. These guys are right - might as well just tear it all the way down because you're going to be greasing and cleaning a lot of things! Best of luck to you and if you have any specific questions, I might be able to answer. Sourcing parts for this bike was more difficult than I imagined and led to me finding a handy online table to cross reference parts and compatibility by year here - http://www.oem-cycle.com/KX125KAWASAKIBIKEID.shtml

Here is where I started and where I am now. Still need to get some new wheels/rims/hubs but almost there.

8/2/2021 5:06am
Thank you so much for that link, I’m definitely gonna use it. And yours is clean man I like it. What slip on did you go with?
RockMeAmadeus
Fantasy
2266th
8/2/2021 6:33am Edited Date/Time 8/2/2021 6:34am
I went with a 304 Factory Sound. If I could do it over, I probably would have went with a full FMF setup. Their parts availability wasn't an issue, however finding a PC pipe for that year was a nightmare and probably took the longest since the guys at PC told me having one made on the wait list would be about 6 months out.

Another thing regarding parts availability - If you are looking for a specific part, go to a site like Kawasaki Parts House and find the part number you need. Then go to eBay and type in for example : Kawasaki 58029-1078-6F. Most of the time you'll get lucky and save lots of money on shipping.
8/2/2021 7:20pm
I just restored a 1999 KX125 myself. Received it in similar condition as yours - very rough around the edges. I tried to do minor things...
I just restored a 1999 KX125 myself. Received it in similar condition as yours - very rough around the edges. I tried to do minor things but realized quickly that this would be a complete teardown. These guys are right - might as well just tear it all the way down because you're going to be greasing and cleaning a lot of things! Best of luck to you and if you have any specific questions, I might be able to answer. Sourcing parts for this bike was more difficult than I imagined and led to me finding a handy online table to cross reference parts and compatibility by year here - http://www.oem-cycle.com/KX125KAWASAKIBIKEID.shtml

Here is where I started and where I am now. Still need to get some new wheels/rims/hubs but almost there.

Who did your graphics if you don’t mind me asking?
RockMeAmadeus
Fantasy
2266th
8/2/2021 7:33pm
GoggleFiend904, DirtX Industries put that together for me. I think they did pretty decent. It's not a true Pro Circuit era set, but it's pretty close.
8/3/2021 3:08pm
Update: Messed with the motor this evening to change the clutch, upon pulling the cover I discovered whoever didn’t use a gasket, didn’t even use gasket maker. But instead used clear silicone. Curious I pulled the other side cover off and same thing. Clear silicone. And the oil was grey sludge🙄 so for sure I’m definetly gonna go ahead and do a rebuild. What’s the best piston for these older KX? I prefer no Namura and Weisco is the only other option I see via google. I want the best. And what about the crank? Which is best?
RockMeAmadeus
Fantasy
2266th
8/3/2021 7:28pm
Oh yeah, lots of little surprises the further you dig in, I'm sure. I discovered similar issues, a jacked up right side case and milky oil after doing a change. Long story short, replace crank seals, any bearings you can and expect this to take some time. I bought this 125 in January and just finalized getting the bike into proper order mid July because of family life, waiting on parts etc. etc. As for your parts question, I used a Wiseco piston, and Pro-X parts on the bottom end when putting the engine back together last month.
8/4/2021 4:39am
6 months isn’t too bad, it could’ve been a lot longer lol and I was thinking weisco was the one to go with, I kept looking to see if CP offered a piston for it but they don’t. I appreciate the advice RockMeAmadeus, I reckon I’ll start the disassembly this week to get it to bare frame.
RockMeAmadeus
Fantasy
2266th
8/4/2021 9:56am
The crank in mine was aftermarket and appeared to be trued and balanced so I didn't touch it. Finding aftermarket ones may be a little tough which leaves you two potentials options. You can have the factory one rebuilt by a service like Ken O'Connor Racing / Mr. Crankshaft -OR- you can look overseas for one. I actually had to get some parts that were available in Europe that I couldnt find over here. If its trued and balanced with a rebuild, you're good to go.
8/4/2021 3:28pm
I just checked out Ken O Connor, you can’t beat the rebuild for the price. Might as well go ahead and do that while I’m all in it.
hubbardmx50
8/4/2021 5:09pm
The 99-02 KX’s always looked so cool to me for some reason. I guess it’s the green painted frames. Never actually ridden one. Looks like a fun project!
8/5/2021 3:12am
I love the green frames as well I think they’re awesome and unique and thank you! I’m excited to get deep into it
geeZ177
8/5/2021 3:23pm
You guys make me want to get a frame off project of my own! If I could find one not already half ripped apart and for a decent price I'd love to get a late 90s-early 00s 125 to rebuild.
8/18/2021 5:36pm
Update- I sent the rear shock to pro action suspension to get rebuilt but they called and said the threads on the shock shaft and the clevis were too far stripped to be fixed. So LUCKILY I found a Stock shock on eBay exactly off a 99 KX125 in fantastic cosmetic shape for little over $100. The rubber damper bushing is deteriorating but I’m gonna send it to proaction for a rebuild and gonna send my front forks too for the hell of it. Good find I think so

Post a reply to: 1999 KX125

The Latest