1998 kx250 team green build (or 94?)

Ben Caves
Edited Date/Time 1/1/2020 7:33am
Picked up a 1998 kx250 today because it was the 1st moto bike I had as a kid. Still remember the day my dad came home with it for me at the end of 98. He had a good year on the farm and wanted to get me something nice. So anyways I probably put 1000 hours on that bike. I’d ride it literally everyday. So time went on and ended up selling it to get a new 03 Yz450f as I started racing. I’ve been looking for a project 98 for a while now and it finally popped up. $500 and 4.5 hours of driving and it’s in the shop. Doing some looking and there isn’t a vin or even engine numbers on the cases. So I think I have a team green bike from back in the day. There were some local pro’s here in New York that could have had this bike. Gonna post up some pics and more throughly the build process. Any input would be good if anyone has anything to add. Thanks for looking ✊?

|
Theneil300
9/17/2018 10:31pm Edited Date/Time 9/17/2018 10:32pm
Nice, UFO is doing a limited run of flo green plastic for these bikes, get it while you can
pkiczuk
9/18/2018 4:04am
man, incredible find for $500! I am constantly looking for a deal like that, but everyone around me (including about a 3 hour drive radius) post their bikes up for probably 2-3 times what they're worth. Been wanting to do a kawi 2 stroke build for a while. I'll be following this one!
KDXGarage
9/18/2018 8:51pm
The code on the cylinder may be from a replater. Do you notice how it is dingy and the head is a little shiny?

Those are not the stock clamps.

Are the two welded on mounts on the lower right of the frame for the water pump / clutch guard?
calcoast
9/18/2018 10:18pm
pkiczuk wrote:
man, incredible find for $500! I am constantly looking for a deal like that, but everyone around me (including about a 3 hour drive radius) post...
man, incredible find for $500! I am constantly looking for a deal like that, but everyone around me (including about a 3 hour drive radius) post their bikes up for probably 2-3 times what they're worth. Been wanting to do a kawi 2 stroke build for a while. I'll be following this one!
You just have to stalk craigslist man. I got my project 98 yz250 for $500. I seriously checked Ebay every two hours for about a month and a half. Theres deals out there but they disappear fast. You just have to be ready to pounce and soon as something pops up.

The Shop

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
9/18/2018 10:38pm
pkiczuk wrote:
man, incredible find for $500! I am constantly looking for a deal like that, but everyone around me (including about a 3 hour drive radius) post...
calcoast wrote:
You just have to stalk craigslist man. I got my project 98 yz250 for $500. I seriously checked Ebay every two hours for about a month...
You just have to stalk craigslist man. I got my project 98 yz250 for $500. I seriously checked Ebay every two hours for about a month and a half. Theres deals out there but they disappear fast. You just have to be ready to pounce and soon as something pops up.
Seriously. It took me forever to finally find a blown up 03 yz250 for $500.
Ben Caves
9/19/2018 9:19am
KDXGarage wrote:
The code on the cylinder may be from a replater. Do you notice how it is dingy and the head is a little shiny? Those are...
The code on the cylinder may be from a replater. Do you notice how it is dingy and the head is a little shiny?

Are the two welded on mounts on the lower right of the frame for the water pump / clutch guard?
Yeah could be. I’d like to know what’s been done to it for sure.
Ben Caves
9/19/2018 9:20am
KDXGarage wrote:
The code on the cylinder may be from a replater. Do you notice how it is dingy and the head is a little shiny? Those are...

And yes those should be for a water pump guard
Ben Caves
9/19/2018 9:22am
Well.... doing some research and I’m not sure what year everything actually is. Bought it as a 98. But the frame looks like a 94 by the way the rear brake pedal hooks up. I took the numbers off the ecu and that came up 98. There isn’t any case numbers on the cases, so if anyone knows what I could look for to distinguish what year cylinder I have, please post lol.
KDXGarage
9/19/2018 9:51pm
Are there four digits cast into the side? They are the last four digits of the part number.
bm201
1/1/2020 7:16am
So, Ben and I are best friends and he ended up selling me the bike for what he had into it so I could restore it for the Unadilla rewind race in June 2020. I brought the bike back to my house and started tinkering with it. I built kind of an emig replica on my kx500 for the race a few years ago and then last year Ben and I built a Ricky Carmichael replica 125 for the race in which I raced it. Heres a few pics of last few years rewind bikes.

bm201
1/1/2020 7:33am
So, back to this bike for the build. The bike was a 94 however had a 98 motor and wiring harness. Since my plans are to do another emig bike, I am going to update the front end, swingarm and rear brake to a 98 and cut the rear brake pedal pin off for the 98 pedal. We’ve made a little progress but still in the earlier stages. Motors split and ready for vaporblasting and cerakoting, frame is ready and off to powdercoat and just waiting on hitting the lotto to purchase most of the other necessities lol. It’ll be a slower build over the next few months but after disassembling completely, the bike was in great shape. Ben and I fabbed up an old skidplate to put on this and he welded some tabs for it on the frame. We then built a waterpump guard and cut the rear brake peg officials f. Started vaporblasting and cleaning a few parts up, but again still in the early stages. I will try to make it look like a replica of emigs 98 bike, but I think I’ll be making a little resto mod like my 500 by adding black wheels and some cerakoted calipers and master cylinders. Footpegs were wide IMS pegs so I wanted to give a little sharpen on them but not razor sharp because boots aren’t cheap. I’ll have end up zincing them black. Money dictates, but regardless of the route we go the bike will brand new and all parts will be vaporblasted, rebuilt, regreased and some cerakoted. Luckily for me, Ben owns his own small engine repair shop and offers all these services so that will definitely help. I’ll be using the specbolt nickel wurks kits to give it that “titanium” look but budget friendly. Anyways, I’ll post more pics as we do more but heres where we stand at the moment.

Kidkawie
1/2/2020 5:18am
What ignition you going to run?

If its 98 you need to notch the airbox for the grommet and mount the cdi there. Theres also the powerjet circuit on the 98 harness.

Looks good so far!
bm201
1/2/2020 10:51am
Kidkawie wrote:
What ignition you going to run? If its 98 you need to notch the airbox for the grommet and mount the cdi there. Theres also the...
What ignition you going to run?

If its 98 you need to notch the airbox for the grommet and mount the cdi there. Theres also the powerjet circuit on the 98 harness.

Looks good so far!
Thanks! Everything so far has been 98 minus the chassis and the cdi was mounted all incorrectly ziptied to the front of the frame. Hopefully here shortly I’ll have the chassis back together with the motor in it.

Post a reply to: 1998 kx250 team green build (or 94?)

The Latest