1998 Yamaha YZ250

Related:
Create New Tag

6/29/2018 6:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/30/2018 8:51 AM

What's up, guys! I purchased a 1998 Yamaha YZ250 for $1,300 in February. The ultimate goal was to restore the bike to race the Non-Current Class (up to 98') at AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Complex. The bike was purchased from a 16 year old kid, and maintenance was clearly an after thought. However, there were a few nice upgrades from a previous owner. They include a Boyseen Clutch Cover, Water Pump, and Reeds. I did a poor job documenting the entire process, but below are photos that tell some of the story,

Photo

Photo

Here's the bike completely disassembled. Photo

I sent to cylinder to PowerSeal to have it replated. Turned out fantastic and they were a pleasure to work with.

Photo
Photo
Photo

The wheels were sent to Dubya. The stock hubs were powder coated blue and laced to a new set of D.I.D's. Bearings were replaced.

Photo

Enzo completed the shock rebuild and front fork revalve.

Photo

Additional items replaced include;

*Frame, Sub-Frame, Swimgarm, and Triple Clamps were powder coated.
*Motoseat seat cover
*New bearings throughout
*Full Rebuild Kit
*Brake & Throttle Cables
*Renthal Bars & Grips
*Brake Pads
*Tusk Brake Pedal
*ProTaper Clutch Perch
*Sprockets & Chain
*Radiators

Here's the finished product. Really happy with the results and just in time to race at Mid-Ohio!

Photo

Photo

Photo
Photo

If any of you guys make it to AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days, I'll be in a school bus parked in the back corner with the Louisville Vintage Motoworks crew, near the burnout competition. Stop by and say hello.

|

6/29/2018 6:34 PM

Well done!

|

6/29/2018 8:29 PM

Nice job man! How do you like the Enzo revalve on the forks? Been thinking of sending my old school KYBs over to them.

|

6/30/2018 12:41 AM

Inspiration dude!!! I’m working on the same bike right now. Having a six month old at home has brought my rebuild down to a snails pace.

That thing is sweet though!

|

6/30/2018 8:43 AM

mxr1der34 wrote:

Nice job man! How do you like the Enzo revalve on the forks? Been thinking of sending my old school KYBs over to them.

Appreciate the kind words, man. I'm still breaking the engine in, so I haven't been able to test the suspension yet. I'll lay down some motos following the break-in period this week and provide an update.

|

6/30/2018 8:43 AM

sandman768 wrote:

Well done!

Thank you, Sandman!

|

6/30/2018 8:49 AM

calcoast wrote:

Inspiration dude!!! I’m working on the same bike right now. Having a six month old at home has brought my rebuild down to a snails pace.

That thing is sweet though!

No kids here, calcoast, so it was full steam ahead on the rebuild once I bought the bike. It would have been so much easier and cheaper just to buy a 99' because of parts availability. Best of luck with your build, and let me know if you have any questions.

I brought it out to Two Stroke Tuesday in Louisville, KY last week and some of the old guys thought it was a 2018! I got a kick out of that.

|

9/20/2018 8:42 PM

I just bought this from my boss last week, he bought it new in 1997, it’s a 96 and has about 20 hours total on it. I’m refreshing it with the wear items being replaced, I plan on racing it indoors this winter.Photo
Photo

|