1997 CR125 Rebuild, Lamson Style

Edited Date/Time 12/24/2019 12:56pm
I picked up this 1997 Honda Cr125 yesterday. I found a deal I couldn't pass up on the Facebook market place and it was about an hour from me. So, I hopped in my van and away we went! It was in a rough part of town that was pretty sketchy, but none the less I didn't die or get robbed. I had my trusty .45 with me for safe measures.

I couldn't hear the bike run but supposedly it did before the radiator cracked (and was also missing?) it turned over with good compression and went through all the gears so that was good enough for me since it would be getting tore completely down regardless.

I loaded it up and headed home to take some initial garage pictures for the followers (always a must)

I am not entirely sure where I want to go with this build but follow along and see where it ends up!

|
Mx746
7/19/2018 5:07am
Should be fun project, there are some similar bikes near me but they’re asking double the bikes actual value. Looking forward to the build
sandman768
7/19/2018 5:16am
I have just missed a couple very nice 93-97 cr125"s in my area recently......When they pop up, they go fast.....

The Shop

7/19/2018 6:29am
Mx746 wrote:
Should be fun project, there are some similar bikes near me but they’re asking double the bikes actual value. Looking forward to the build
I have been looking for awhile now and that's how they have all been priced. It's nuts! I scored this one for $400.
7/19/2018 6:55am
Gave it a good wash down before tearing into it, I am not sure the skid plate ever came off, it was caked full of oil and mud!

In the middle of the tear down process, everything came apart rather easily besides the linkage bearing connection to the frame. It took some effort. I don't think I found a single matching set of fasteners on the entire bike, new fasteners are in order.

The previous owner definitely got their moneys worth out of the chain roller...

Dropped the frame off for powder coat yesterday! I can't wait to get this bad boy back! The other frame is the kx125 frame from the build linked above.

Mx746
7/19/2018 7:43am
its moving along quickly. Nice! Check for chain bite on the front of the swingarm under the slider, most of the neglected bikes the chain has worn through.
7/19/2018 8:35am
Mx746 wrote:
its moving along quickly. Nice! Check for chain bite on the front of the swingarm under the slider, most of the neglected bikes the chain has...
its moving along quickly. Nice! Check for chain bite on the front of the swingarm under the slider, most of the neglected bikes the chain has worn through.
We dont mess around! To my amazement the chain slider was in good shape and in tact, the swingarm is in good shape!
CHaynes
7/19/2018 5:38pm
I gotta ask, is the black road bike the new Trek? Looks very similar that’s why I’m asking.
7/20/2018 1:11am
I don't know what your budget is, but on vintagebikeads.com there is a guy with the Lamson 1996 Des Nations graphics and seat cover. He wants a lot of money for it though. 320 € or $372

7/20/2018 6:10am
Great that it came with a skid plate. Have been chasing one for ages, never seem to pop up on ebay.
7/20/2018 8:51pm
CHaynes wrote:
I gotta ask, is the black road bike the new Trek? Looks very similar that’s why I’m asking.
It’s a 2016 Trek Madone 9.9
Not the 2019 version that just came out, I wish it was!
7/20/2018 8:53pm
I don't know what your budget is, but on vintagebikeads.com there is a guy with the Lamson 1996 Des Nations graphics and seat cover. He wants...
I don't know what your budget is, but on vintagebikeads.com there is a guy with the Lamson 1996 Des Nations graphics and seat cover. He wants a lot of money for it though. 320 € or $372

Damn I might have to pick that up! I’ll see how the budget looks when I get to that point! Thanks for the post!
7/20/2018 8:54pm
689 wrote:
Great that it came with a skid plate. Have been chasing one for ages, never seem to pop up on ebay.
I didn’t realize works connection didn’t still make them. Mines in great shape too!
rylo67
7/23/2018 10:05pm
I don't know what your budget is, but on vintagebikeads.com there is a guy with the Lamson 1996 Des Nations graphics and seat cover. He wants...

Damn I might have to pick that up! I’ll see how the budget looks when I get to that point! Thanks for the post!
That would be unreal.
8/1/2018 10:43am
Tore into the motor while I was waiting for the frame to come back from powder coat. I found a nice little surprise when I took the head off. I found an eric gorr 144cc kit under the hood. I messaged the original owner and he knew nothing about it. The piston was in better shape than I was expecting but will still be replaced. I was told the 144's take a yz125 58mm piston since no one makes a 58mm piston for a honda. Does anyone have more info on this specifically what year yamaha pistons work? The cylinder also looked really good with no scoring so that is a big win, I will hone it out and drop in a new wiseco piston!

I also purchased a buffer with a rubber expander wheel and I am going to try and make a scotch brite wheel for cleaning and removing casting marks. I can post more details on this setup and how it works!

I also purchased an ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning small parts and I will update on how it works once it arrives.

Lastly, I purchased a tumbler for cleaning and polishing old hardware.

All of these should arrive within the next week! I'll give some feedback so ask away, I can also post links to what Items I purchased if desired. I am most excited for the ultrasonic cleaner!

I should have my frame back today from powder coat!
8/1/2018 10:49am
I also started disassembling the wheels and found the duct tape rim strip comical, I could not believe how much dirt was stuck under it around the nipples! Both tires still held air too!
I was able to get the front wheel dissembled by first soaking the nipples in Penetrating oil after cleaning, but unfortunately no luck with the rear as the spokes kept spinning in the hub so I had to cut them out with bolt cutters.

FiendzCC
8/13/2018 10:46pm
Powder turned out sharp. What are your plans for the wheels?
8/14/2018 6:18am
FiendzCC wrote:
Powder turned out sharp. What are your plans for the wheels?
I am going to sand down the hubs for the turned down look. I have some powder coated black rims in my attic that I will lace. I know ill probably be executed for putting black rims on but I think they look so much better haha
8/14/2018 6:25am Edited Date/Time 8/14/2018 6:26am
Finished the triple clamps, the previous owner before me removed the casting marks with what appears to be a very coarse file. The marks it left were extremely deep! I did the best I could to get them out but they still turned out decent.

The chain slider and guide have seen better days!

8/14/2018 7:15am Edited Date/Time 8/14/2018 7:15am
I have been playing with my ultrasonic cleaner a lot and I love this thing. It doesn't get much easier, heat it up, drop it in, come back in 10-15 minutes and its good to go!
I'll post up pictures of my carb later, but here is a mtb cassette I did for shits and giggles.

8/14/2018 7:33am
Tore into the motor while I was waiting for the frame to come back from powder coat. I found a nice little surprise when I took...
Tore into the motor while I was waiting for the frame to come back from powder coat. I found a nice little surprise when I took the head off. I found an eric gorr 144cc kit under the hood. I messaged the original owner and he knew nothing about it. The piston was in better shape than I was expecting but will still be replaced. I was told the 144's take a yz125 58mm piston since no one makes a 58mm piston for a honda. Does anyone have more info on this specifically what year yamaha pistons work? The cylinder also looked really good with no scoring so that is a big win, I will hone it out and drop in a new wiseco piston!

I also purchased a buffer with a rubber expander wheel and I am going to try and make a scotch brite wheel for cleaning and removing casting marks. I can post more details on this setup and how it works!

I also purchased an ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning small parts and I will update on how it works once it arrives.

Lastly, I purchased a tumbler for cleaning and polishing old hardware.

All of these should arrive within the next week! I'll give some feedback so ask away, I can also post links to what Items I purchased if desired. I am most excited for the ultrasonic cleaner!

I should have my frame back today from powder coat!
The gorr pistons are not the same as a shelf yz piston. His is sized .04-06mm larger - at a true 58mm

Shelf pistons are 57.94-96

So you can't use the shelf piston

I POSSIBLY have a gorr piston on the shelf - you can have it if I do

8/14/2018 10:33am
The gorr pistons are not the same as a shelf yz piston. His is sized .04-06mm larger - at a true 58mm Shelf pistons are 57.94-96...
The gorr pistons are not the same as a shelf yz piston. His is sized .04-06mm larger - at a true 58mm

Shelf pistons are 57.94-96

So you can't use the shelf piston

I POSSIBLY have a gorr piston on the shelf - you can have it if I do

Thank you for the info! I almost purchased the yz piston today, glad I didn't. If you have a gorr piston I will happily pay you something for it.

Thank you,
Chase
FiendzCC
8/14/2018 8:20pm
I am going to sand down the hubs for the turned down look. I have some powder coated black rims in my attic that I will...
I am going to sand down the hubs for the turned down look. I have some powder coated black rims in my attic that I will lace. I know ill probably be executed for putting black rims on but I think they look so much better haha
Haha do what you what you think will look good. Gold rims wouldn't look too bad either. Look for cracks before you lace them up, rims (especially OEM ones) can split with age and powder coat sometimes hides it from first glance.

Post a reply to: 1997 CR125 Rebuild, Lamson Style

The Latest