1996 Cr250r

zac_k3
1/12/2020 12:05pm Edited Date/Time 3/5/2021 10:11am
After selling my Rm125 i’ve finally decided that i was going to build a 90’s 250 honda next due to my dad having a 91’ 250r when i was younger. I scooped this 96’ yesterday for a great price. the bike isn’t the prettiest but not bad considering it’s older than me. Here’s a few pics during the tear down:
|
1/13/2020 11:01am
Check the under side of the center cases - they were prone to cracking, and are very hard to find.. I've seen JB Weld repaired ones sell for a premium on eBay... Swing arm was also prone to cracking at the welds, too.. But overall, widely considered to be the best 250 of the 1990's.. most other parts are easily available.

Also - the 1996 triple clamps make it very easy to ditch the stock Kayaba forks and swap over much better performing Showa twin chamber forks from a 04-08 CR/CRF models, which is exactly what I did on mine...

zac_k3
1/13/2020 2:04pm
Check the under side of the center cases - they were prone to cracking, and are very hard to find.. I've seen JB Weld repaired ones...
Check the under side of the center cases - they were prone to cracking, and are very hard to find.. I've seen JB Weld repaired ones sell for a premium on eBay... Swing arm was also prone to cracking at the welds, too.. But overall, widely considered to be the best 250 of the 1990's.. most other parts are easily available.

Also - the 1996 triple clamps make it very easy to ditch the stock Kayaba forks and swap over much better performing Showa twin chamber forks from a 04-08 CR/CRF models, which is exactly what I did on mine...

Thanks for the tips! I actually just sent my stock stuff out to my suspension guy.. the bike won’t be ridden very much and not hard at all so i’ll see how it treats me!

The Shop

zac_k3
1/13/2020 2:06pm
Off to SRS in Ohio!
zac_k3
1/16/2020 6:24pm
Should i look into getting this dent fixed or should it be okay to ride on?

zac_k3
2/2/2020 4:06am
Finally got a chance to get a little work done, took a little time to try cleaning up the swing arm. I’m gonna pick up a flap wheel to take out some the knicks and scratches, then i’ll give it another once over with finer scotchbrite pad. Suspension should be arriving any day and also picked out a powder coat for the frame, just have to wait until some better weather to get it sandblasted. Also picked up a new clutch and throttle cable, and throttle tube.

zac_k3
3/23/2020 10:13am
Cylinder is back from replate! Hopefully i’ll be getting the frame back from powder and can start making a little progress on this thing!

TooOld4WFO
Fantasy
1610th
3/24/2020 12:32pm
On your frame dents.
Getting those fixed depends on how complete of a restoration you are doing.
I had very similar dents along with metal rusted thin on the bottom of the cradle of the 92 I am restoring.

I measured the tube diameter and found some scrap metal that was thin with an ID similar as the tube. I cut it in half and used that as patching over the dents and thin areas. Once all welded in and then used a cheap hand grinder with the sand paper flap wheel I smoothed it.

I doubted anyone in my immediate area would fix the frame in-expensively. Doing what I did seemed better then using epoxy to fill dents like I did on my first restore.
From now on I will repair dents in this fashion. Obviously it’s stronger. Just make sure a competent welder does the work for you. Too much heat on metal will distort the metal around it. That was my other concern with motor mount orientation being slightly changed due to heat.
haydug391
3/26/2020 4:31am
TooOld4WFO wrote:
On your frame dents. Getting those fixed depends on how complete of a restoration you are doing. I had very similar dents along with metal rusted...
On your frame dents.
Getting those fixed depends on how complete of a restoration you are doing.
I had very similar dents along with metal rusted thin on the bottom of the cradle of the 92 I am restoring.

I measured the tube diameter and found some scrap metal that was thin with an ID similar as the tube. I cut it in half and used that as patching over the dents and thin areas. Once all welded in and then used a cheap hand grinder with the sand paper flap wheel I smoothed it.

I doubted anyone in my immediate area would fix the frame in-expensively. Doing what I did seemed better then using epoxy to fill dents like I did on my first restore.
From now on I will repair dents in this fashion. Obviously it’s stronger. Just make sure a competent welder does the work for you. Too much heat on metal will distort the metal around it. That was my other concern with motor mount orientation being slightly changed due to heat.
Where did you get the water pump guard ?
TooOld4WFO
Fantasy
1610th
3/27/2020 1:45pm
The prices have come down on that from them. That was the only reason I purchased a used Works Connection. I have used YZ series ones since I can get those cheap on eBay.
I have done this mod on 2 frames and will do it on 2 more full restores I have to do.
I restore them and re-paint. I order from Works Connection the brackets that will be welded onto the frame. The way HRC does them is cleaner for sure.

That’s a great link for those looking for a copy of the actual design used. Great job Action.
zac_k3
3/28/2020 10:29am
I ended up just leaving them there, i’m definitely not a fan of doing that but it’s not going to be a display bike. I’ll eventually get a skid plate. My frame is finally done along with the suspension. i’ll probably make a roller but with my girlfriends work closing money will be tight until this virus blows over. I’m wanting to do something with the wheels to clean the bike up and new rubber but getting the engine done is my first priority.
zac_k3
5/9/2020 1:46pm
Finally collected some parts for her! For my birthday my girlfriend splurged around $400 on parts!Tongue I received all the case bearings, oil seal kit, piston kit, swing arm bearings, and some other stuff. hopefully gonna start making some head way on this thing tuesday.
zac_k3
7/12/2020 10:18pm
Slowly making some progress.. really fighting the swing arm portion of the bike right now but hoping to get it sorted out soon!
zac_k3
11/10/2020 6:22pm
and we’re almost complete after nearly a year of working on it, the bike is no where near what i want but i really just want to ride it.

zac_k3
3/4/2021 8:58pm
A fresh set of dunlop’s, new seat cover, carb vent hoses and she’s ready to ride. New front number plate and case saver and graphics are on the way. Really excited to get this thing on the track!Woohoo
mitchlovin
3/5/2021 10:11am
Where did you source that seat cover?
Action69
3/5/2021 10:36am
Check out mastercross.net they have a bunch of technosol covers
zac_k3
3/6/2021 3:31pm
mitchlovin wrote:
Where did you source that seat cover?
i ordered the seat cover from mastercross like action mentioned above. As far as the seller himself, he was awesome to work with but coming from italy it did take over a month to get. Not a big deal but just a heads up, also when i had a local upholstery guy do it he said it was some of the cheapest material he’s used.

Post a reply to: 1996 Cr250r

The Latest