1996 CR125 & CR250 RESTORATION

Edited Date/Time 8/22/2021 5:09am
Both bikes after the dangerbois hustled a good price.

|
10/2/2018 2:48pm
Both of these bikes will be restored back to how they rolled off the showroom floor, with oem parts used as much as practically possible. More photo's and updates to follow over the comings months. The BIG QUESTION, do the bikes get raced once restored? or is that criminal?
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
10/2/2018 3:41pm
IMO: If you’re going to restore back to showroom condition I don’t think it makes sense to ride it..Then why restore it to “showroom” condition?

If you plan on riding them do a thorough restore focusing on the mechanical aspect of the bike and a mild restore on the appearance.
2/12/2019 2:32pm
As expected, once we started to strip the 125 we found 22 years worth of abuse. We decided then that we would park the 250 until the 125 was finished.

To summarise the damage:
Footpeg mounts flogged out. Welded and drilled.

Subframe bent and cracked. Welded and currently in the process of straightening.

L/H side engine cases cracked, one actually had a hole in it. New case sourced off ebay.

Incorrect radiators fitted. Two correct oem radiators sourced off ebay.

Oem muffler sourced off ebay.

Fuel tank is currently 50% complete. This wet sanding process is painful. I get bursts of enthusiasm every now and then. However it does look much better, although it still has a slight yellow tinge.

Swingarm has been sanded and rubbed down with red scotchbright and soapy water. Still requires vapour blasting when we send everything in.

So all in all, getting closer. Most of the hard work is done. Ordered a heap of oem parts, UFO PLASTICS, seat cover. THE CROWN JEWEL ** TWO NOS OEM FRONT DISC GAURDS**, super rare.

Should have the frame powder coated with the forks, swing arm and shock mounted in the coming months.

The Shop

2/13/2019 10:26am
Where did you find the front disc cover? I’m doing the same to my 96 125/250
2/13/2019 10:43am
Found a guy in the Netherlands selling them on ebay. I also brought two NOS rear brake pedal springs off him. He seems to collect all the hard to find bits.

The best way to find rare stuff is to put the part number into ebay everyday and wait for it to pop up. You’ll be surprised.
2/13/2019 10:46am
I also require a set of 1996 CR 250 forks if anyone has a set in good condition? It seems the previous owner of the 250 liked riding in salt water down the beach and now the upper fork tubes are exfoliating with corrosion.
8/22/2021 2:45am
A little update. Just about to rebuild the engine. Does anybody have an expansion chamber in good condition? Otherwise I’ll have to do the best with what I’ve got.

Excuse the lounge workshop during lockdown last year.

8/22/2021 5:09am
Just finished mine, started today for first time -

Will prob still replace the seat cover.

Post a reply to: 1996 CR125 & CR250 RESTORATION

The Latest