1995 kx500 build

Ben Caves
Edited Date/Time 3/12/2021 11:59am
Hi everyone, I thought I would make a thread for a 500 build me and my buddy Brandon Meier are doing. We’ve build many bikes in the past and I haven’t really documented them to share here. So anyways, this kx500 I found on Facebook and had pretty good bones to work with. Made the 12 hour round trip and got it home. We started by tearing it all the way down and assessing what needed to be replaced and what could be saved. I run a bike repair business here at my shop and do vapor blasting, cerakote coatings, tig welding, and complete rebuilds, so this bike was going to get fully restored.

In the past, we’ve built a 97 rc kx125, a 1991 kx500, countless 02-07 cr125’s and 250’s, a few 500af’s a 96 kx250 for a buddy of ours to race unadilla rewind on. And currently a old team green kx250 for Brandon that’s almost done and coming out great.

Back to the 95 kx500. The bike ran decent when I picked it up, so we knew there wasn’t anything major wrong with it other than the common case damage from the chain coming off. So I started by tearing the engine apart, making a list of anything we needed to get ordered and sent the cylinder off to get replated. A good friend of mine here local is a master with crankshafts, so I brought the oem crank over to him to check how true it was. It was spot on and the rod was in great shape. Ordered up new crank bearings and bearings for the clutch actuator where the case damage was. I tig welded the case and blended it. Vapor blasted the center cases, cylinder and head and cerakoted the engine covers and water pump. Completely cleaned and inspected every part and reassembled the engine with specbolt hardware. Here are some pics of when we got the bike and the engine when I got it finished up

|
Ben Caves
3/3/2021 7:30am
We decided to upgrade the front end and wheels to 47mm Showa’s and kx450f wheels. I took the forks apart and prepped the uppers for anodizing. Let me tell you, the stock anodizing is very tough haha. But once I was able to get through it with sandblasting and spinning them up on a buddies lathe to polish them, it was apparent the time and effort was worth it. Got them anodized bronze and they turned out great.
Ben Caves
3/3/2021 7:35am
Here are a few pics of the builds we’ve done

Ben Caves
3/3/2021 7:46am
Started working on the frame and decided to make my own gussets for the known weak points on the kx500’s. I’ve tig welded in a set before and they came out great. So I used the bandsaw to cut out the pieces needed from a sheet of chromoly. Also cut off the stock peg mounts and welded on brackets from a kxf to be able to use modern foot pegs. Once the gussets and brackets were fully welded and everything was inspected, I sent the frame, subframe, modified swingarm for the kxf wheel, and shock spring off to Powdercoat. Here are some pics of that.

Ben Caves
3/3/2021 7:51am
Here’s a pic of the finished pro circuit factory pipe. Brandon Meier is the man when it comes to restoring the finish. I have a tool made up for sealing the pipes and being able to add pressure to pop any dents. There was only 1 small dent on this pipe, so it was pretty easy on my end. Not so much for Brandon though.

The Shop

Ben Caves
3/3/2021 7:59am
As we started the build, we knew we needed to find a 89 kx250 lowboy tank. Brandon ended up finding one in the Midwest and talked the guy into selling it off of his bike and trading an oversized tank I had in my parts room. Once we got it, Brandon started the sanding process. After raw fingers and carpal tunnel flaring up, he got it restored. It came out great and will be a awesome addition to this build.

philG
3/3/2021 1:50pm
Nice work, Donor bike was just the right level of roached..

Rode a KX500 at Unadilla, in 2019, first time on one, really nice very vibey.
Ben Caves
3/3/2021 5:29pm
philG wrote:

Thanks. Dilla rewind is always a blast
AK74
3/4/2021 4:07am
Some great work showcased here.

Do you - or Brandon - restore pipes as a service for customers? I've got a Pro Circuit Works exhaust for a '91 KX125 which needs to be brought back to life.

We can discuss by text if it's easier.
philG
3/4/2021 4:29am
philG wrote:

Ben Caves wrote:
Thanks. Dilla rewind is always a blast
Yeah, i raced there and Vets Des Nations only in 2019.. worth the trip from the UK, if we ever get to travel again i will have another go.
FWYT
3/4/2021 2:31pm
Nice!!!!!@
mpeters
3/4/2021 2:47pm
Yep, me too. My 89 yz250 pro circuit pipe isn't made anymore. Added my name to the list, when they get enough they will make pipes. So now u got 2 guys wanting their pro circuit pipe redone. Your builds look top quality. Help me out
Ben Caves
3/4/2021 5:21pm
I can ask Brandon if he’d be willing to work his magic. The amount of time it takes to restore one would be hard to charge for. But I’ll ask and see
mpeters
3/4/2021 6:06pm
Hey thanks, I get u. It might b easier just to do it. My bike doesn't have to b perfect. We are a pretty rounded group. I have access to powder coat, my buddy owns a metal shop, an another is a car body guy. I already know we can cut the pipe, pry out the creases and weld it up. John said he has seen high pressure water to force the dents out from the inside, but none of us has a water machine like that. Thanks
mpeters
3/4/2021 6:11pm
Pro circuit told me it will b at least 6 months before they make that pipe if then. Enough guys have to order the SAME part b4 they make it.
Ben Caves
3/4/2021 6:21pm
I made up a jig to add air pressure to the pipe. I put about 60psi in and heat the dented area. If it doesn’t want to come out, I’ve turned up the pressure a bit. But you have to be careful
Sundeen
3/9/2021 6:29pm
Ben Caves wrote:
Here’s a pic of the finished pro circuit factory pipe. Brandon Meier is the man when it comes to restoring the finish. I have a tool...
Here’s a pic of the finished pro circuit factory pipe. Brandon Meier is the man when it comes to restoring the finish. I have a tool made up for sealing the pipes and being able to add pressure to pop any dents. There was only 1 small dent on this pipe, so it was pretty easy on my end. Not so much for Brandon though.

Why did you go with the Pc?? You know it’s the worst preforming pipe? It completely detunes it. It’s actually crazy the stock pipe dinos better.
yak651
Fantasy
214th
3/11/2021 8:09am
Ben Caves wrote:
Here’s a pic of the finished pro circuit factory pipe. Brandon Meier is the man when it comes to restoring the finish. I have a tool...

Sundeen wrote:
Why did you go with the Pc?? You know it’s the worst preforming pipe? It completely detunes it. It’s actually crazy the stock pipe dinos better.
Because it looks great and no one ever says "boy, wish my 500 had more power"
DB97
3/12/2021 8:29am
Do you by chance know of any after market peg mounts or pipe mounts for the 500s?
I’m building one now and I’m getting help from Alex Ward. He has a billet mount and we also ordered raptor ktm pegs that come with a mount for the other side. It has to be welded to the frame still. he also has some billet pieces including the exhaust mount.
3/12/2021 11:59am
Do you by chance know of any after market peg mounts or pipe mounts for the 500s?
DB97 wrote:
I’m building one now and I’m getting help from Alex Ward. He has a billet mount and we also ordered raptor ktm pegs that come with...
I’m building one now and I’m getting help from Alex Ward. He has a billet mount and we also ordered raptor ktm pegs that come with a mount for the other side. It has to be welded to the frame still. he also has some billet pieces including the exhaust mount.
Awesome. Thank you very much
3/12/2021 12:00pm Edited Date/Time 3/12/2021 1:23pm
DB97 wrote:
I’m building one now and I’m getting help from Alex Ward. He has a billet mount and we also ordered raptor ktm pegs that come with...
Edit

Ben Caves
3/14/2021 7:23am
Well, she’s all done. It’s been a long road and many many hours to restore this beast. Was able to get some pictures yesterday of it and rode it up and down the road (due to mud here in ny). Just a little air screw adjustment and it’s running great. Want to thank my buddy Brandon Meier for all the hard work and for him pushing me to work long hours on this project. The time has come to get it posted up for sale. I’ll make a for sale post for it, but if anyone is interested, contact me at 585-330-4938 and we can discuss details. I’m willing to crate the bike like a new one would come to ship. Shipping would be the buyers responsibility. Here are some finished pictures. Thanks for everyone looking. There will be many more builds to come in the future

Sundeen
8/8/2021 12:23pm
Ben Caves wrote:
As we started the build, we knew we needed to find a 89 kx250 lowboy tank. Brandon ended up finding one in the Midwest and talked...
As we started the build, we knew we needed to find a 89 kx250 lowboy tank. Brandon ended up finding one in the Midwest and talked the guy into selling it off of his bike and trading an oversized tank I had in my parts room. Once we got it, Brandon started the sanding process. After raw fingers and carpal tunnel flaring up, he got it restored. It came out great and will be a awesome addition to this build.

Anyone have a 1989 kx250 Tank?
8/8/2021 4:19pm
Wow!! Both the KX5s you have build are awesome!! If I had the money I would love to have one!!

Great work man!!

Post a reply to: 1995 kx500 build

The Latest