Guzzi's Oz 1995 YZ250 full rebuild finally runs :)

7/5/2020 1:41am Edited Date/Time 4/4/2023 1:41am

Gudday from Isolation in Australia! I picked up this pile recently and the plan is to just check it over and clean it up to ride a bit of Vintage Moto if we are ever allowed out again. It’s got good bones from what I have seen so far. A few small surprises on the tear down but nothing too full on (touch wood)

The previous owner didn’t know much of its history and just fixed up the things he could see. Has a new shift shaft and lever, cables and lots of new bolts. He did say he didn’t know any of the history of the motor but it literally started first kick from cold!

|
7/5/2020 1:47am
It’s got that pastel purple colour. Spray painted black seat? Frame needs a lot of work will get is sandblasted and powder coated.

Custom rattle can black seat cover

Custom cagiva mudflap attached with tech screws 😂🤷‍♀️

7/5/2020 1:51am
Inspiration. Not Sure if I found this build on Vital but it’s definitely the way I am heading
7/5/2020 1:55am Edited Date/Time 7/5/2020 2:00am
So more factory additions I have found

this kickstart doesnt look right. Its either not long enough or in the wrong position and rubs on the pipe

Pipe is a mess of bird poo welds. Feels like its got about 3kg of carbon in it. Going to the bin

Airbox has a funky repair job along the top edge. May require some plastic welding as these are rare as hens teeth here....

7/6/2020 1:01am
There’s a few more things I have found. The chain guide post has been smashed off a bit and this factory mod installed 😂

The Shop

7/6/2020 1:03am
I could tell the cases had been split at some stage as they had fresh paint on them, whilst the head and clutch over looked old. And what do you know 👌
7/6/2020 1:05am
So on closer inspection the cylinder has a sleeve in it but she’s leaking pretty bad from exhaust side, you can feel grooves in it with your finger so I will send it off for a light bore and get a piston matched at the same time. Plan will be to do the bottom end much later when money and time allows.

7/7/2020 3:20am
Found a pretty large ding above one foot peg when I cleaned it up for powder coating
The weld had separated a bit so I got the TIG out and re welded it. Also filled the ding whilst I was there. We just got locked down for another six weeks so I hope I can get this to the sand blasters tomorrow 😭🤦‍♀️🙏🏻

JMX82
7/8/2020 6:10am
The kick starter might only be mounted in wrong position. Try to rotate it one notch counter clockwise direction
7/14/2020 3:42am
This represents about 6 hrs of scrubbing, scrubbing , cleaning , scrubbing. The power valve seals were all f$cked, so both sides of the case were part of the exhaust pipe 😲☹️ I’ve found most of the seals in OZ. There’s one tiny one I will have to keep searching for. At absolute last resort I will actually present to a moto shop but trying to avoid that

7/14/2020 3:45am
When pulling the actual power valve apart I squashed the bronze bearing on one side a little too hard in the vice... 😲😲😭lucky I could find one the same size in a local bearing supply

7/15/2020 9:42pm
Pulled my tyres apart today whilst we had a brief bit of sun to warm them up. Finally found a local suspension cerekote guy that isn’t too busy to I plan to send him the stock hubs to make sexy at the same time. Just need to make sure I can get a spoke and rim set before I take the grinder to these. Literally got about three loose, the rest are trash

7/16/2020 6:53pm
Spent two hours with each spoke in the vice getting them all out 😲😲 spent another two hours cleaning and hand filing the hubs.

Sexy

7/21/2020 5:58am
I’ve spent many hours cursing this putrid swingarm. Still a ways to go but it looks nice 😍

Before

7/21/2020 6:02am
I couldn’t resist the urge to hand file a heap of casting marks off 🤔 ended up using 60grit and 120grit flap discs then a heap of elbow grease. Finishing off with a red scotchbrite . Still Needs a lot of Work

7/28/2020 1:33am
Got my jug back minus 1mm of bore and looking sexy AF ✊

Starting to get some bits together, found all the bits to clean up the leaky power valve. Have ordered rims and spokes. Bought a shock off an 03 model to mix into mine. Once that come I will post the lot off to the suspension guy

Still waiting for frame

450exc115
7/30/2020 10:48am
For suspension look for a Devol link or Noleen link for the back if you can find one. Yamaha copied the rising rate of those aftermarket links in 96 design going forward. If you can't find the cool aftermarket parts you can just pick up a 96+ swingarm/linkage setup to do the same thing. I also believe the YZ 2 stroke shocks from 96-2020 fit with minor mods.

I'm in the process of tearing down my 98 YZ250 (bought brand new in 98, sold in 01 and just got it back from my old college roomate in 2020!) and refreshing it too. I had Noleen port my top end back in the day and I'm going to have to replace the power valve due to being chipped on the inlet side but I noticed Noleen modified the travel of the power valve by a few degrees to gain more bottom end while removing material to gain on top too. I do remember how much this bike ripped and your 95 should respond to the same mods well. Jeremy McGrath's 98 supercross bike had a 94 cylinder on it as it had more potential in the bottom/midrange than the 98 cylinder.
8/2/2020 10:11pm
I’ve got an 03 yz250f shock that is going to be the donor for mine @450exc115. I’ve found some great old literature written by Eric Gorr on these bikes ;-) I think down the track when I eventually have to to a bottom end I will look at some of this. For now I just got my frame back and need to send off the suspension still. We are locked down for another 6 weeks here so postage will be painful as

8/3/2020 3:50pm
Another shot of this purple crayon 😍😍😍
All these bolts have been sent out for nickel plating. Have ordered a engine bolt kit as well.

9/16/2020 8:10pm Edited Date/Time 9/16/2020 8:12pm
Not much happening here. Still in full lockdown which means getting a delivery here even if in the same state takes about 109years 🤦‍♀️

I have been plodding along cleaning things and hanging out with my best friend Mr aluminium file. I had a mate weld a new case saver post into place for me. To say it’s rough would be an understatement. Plenty of work to do here. I’m just going to clean it up and get some heat proof rattle can paint to touch it all up. Down the track when I eventually split the cases I will do it all properly then. The drain plug has a super special liquid metal job too 😭 on closer inspection looks like it had a massive crack and break at some stage but should hold for now.

9/16/2020 8:15pm
I also spent hours hand sanding and filing the triple clamps. The top clamps on these have that cast effect so it took forever to get a result but they are starting to look nice

12/26/2020 10:04pm
I finally got all my bolts back after everything non essential here got locked down for three months
I also stupidly ordered a pro circuit pipe from Motosport in the US and the idiots sent me a 2020 KTM pipe. What a debacle. So I found another secondhand one in the US that I am waiting for. I have also purchased another pro circuit pipe locally that was advertised as a 95 but got it home to find it’s for a 96.

12/26/2020 10:12pm
So I have been messing around with making an old light speed carbon skid plate fit this frame. The skid has these deep indentations that it mounted through for the old bike that I had to fill with epoxy and I have laid a new sheet of carbon in over the top with my dodge home made carbon fibre setup

It worked pretty well, just needs a final clear coat once I work out the mounts and how much needs to be removed to fit the pipe

12/26/2020 10:16pm Edited Date/Time 12/26/2020 10:17pm
During all this I found more holes in my frame so out came the grinder and TIG. Welding this thing is difficult due to
The amount of crap in the metal from years of oil and abuse.

Made some mounts out of 4mm and 8mm plate. The front mounts are overkill but won’t move. Hopefully the skid plate will protect the poor repaired bottom frame a bit.

3/23/2022 3:21am
I have had a long hiatus on this build mainly due to finding this horrific mess 🤦‍♀️
heaps of rust in one of the frame sparks near the foot peg. Turns out someone’s uncle with a welder has taken to it, and installed a repair across one of the frame bolt holes that’s supposed to be open to let water out I am guessing

3/23/2022 3:44am
A LOT of grinding, swearing and questioning my ability with a TIG welder and in the end I just said f$$k it

3/23/2022 4:03am
In the end with a lot more swearing, filing and patting of myself on the back I’m almost game to send it over a table top once again…

Post a reply to: Guzzi's Oz 1995 YZ250 full rebuild finally runs :)

The Latest